Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 pm

The former chief financial officer of United Continental Holdings Inc. is betting that the U.S. airline industry needs another budget airline. Andrew Levy, who also helped establish Allegiant Travel Co., is raising money for a new low-cost niche carrier designed to serve secondary airports with a reliable experience that differs from current players in the market.

“We think the opportunity exists for a real high-quality, highly reliable, extremely low fare, basic transportation service,” Levy said Tuesday. The airline, which has not yet been named, will offer “a better product and experience but still offer really low prices,” he said.

The Houston-based company has not decided on an aircraft type but is leaning toward leasing Boeing Co.’s 737-800. Levy, 49, purchased XTRA Airways Inc., a Florida-based charter carrier, in August. XTRA’s parent last year sold most of its fleet to Swift Air but kept one Boeing 737-400 to retain its Part 121 commercial airline certification.

The airline is seeking to raise $100 million and expects to finish its fundraising by June. The carrier could start service with around five aircraft late this year or in early 2020, Levy said.

United Air’s Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... et-airline

=

Guess all the rumors were true following his departure from UA.

Good luck to the man. He certainly has deep knowledge, though the industry is a tough one as we know.
Last edited by LAXintl on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KRIC777

Re: United Air’s Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:30 pm

The US needs another budget airline?

csweet

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Interesting, so based in Houston serving secondary markets. I like it!

FlyingElvii

Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:46 pm

KRIC777 wrote:

Actually, yes...
There are plenty of airports and routes out there, and any competition for the US4 is welcomed. Competition inspires good customer services, something very lacking on US airlines these days.
The toughest part is getting around the loyalty plans.

SFOThinker

Re: United Former CFO to Launch a New U.S. Budget Airline

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:01 pm

I am very interested in the description of the niche, and how profits could be realized with really low fares and simple pricing. Those ancillary fees seem to be the key to ULCC profitability.
But Levy presumably knows what he is doing.

TC957

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm

The words " high-quality " " extremely low fare " " basic transportation " don't mix too well in the airline industry.
It's either high quality or low fare and basic - he needs to decide which.

emuwarveteran

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 pm

"the U.S. airline industry needs another budget airline" lol what

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Please tell me this happens! I'd love to have a corporate job for an airline in my home city!!!

(Yes I looked at UA but theyre mostly IT and accounting jobs in Houston)

KRIC777

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:

Actually, yes...
There are plenty of airports and routes out there, and any competition for the US4 is welcomed. Competition inspires good customer services, something very lacking on US airlines these days.
The toughest part is getting around the loyalty plans.

True, competition is good, but I think in the US airline industry, competition just inspires lower fares and less service. And it seems like every US airline is already trying to be a "budget" airline anyway.

Someone83

Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:33 pm

KRIC777 wrote:

True, competition is good, but I think in the US airline industry, competition just inspires lower fares and less service. And it seems like every US airline is already trying to be a "budget" airline anyway.

You prefere higher fares and less service instead?

KRIC777

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Someone83 wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:

No I don't. The response to my original reply was that more competition was a good thing because it inspires good customer service. My point was that in in this case, I believe competition will only inspire lower fares - NOT good customer service (and if anything, LESS service) because most customers don't care about service NEARLY as much as they care about the fare. Better service costs money, and for airlines there is little to be gained by improving service because most passengers won't pay more for it. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just stating my opinion.

TWA302

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Bring it on. Excited to see how this new venture unfolds. Is it me or does it sound like they are looking to be something similar to WN?

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Someone83 wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:

Many posters here seem to think that's what the public deserves.

DENTK

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:43 pm

A fool and his money are soon parted.

F9Animal

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Can a ULCC provide good quality? Absolutely! However, it requires investing some of those profits to keep the product good. From what I see, most of the current ULCC's could care less about a quality product.

Spirit however seems to be doing something about it. I am hearing their on time performance and reliability is improving! Which leave me thinking they are investing into making the operation better. Can anyone confirm if my suspicion is true?

intotheair

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Didn’t he leave UA on bad blood?

I applaud the effort to bring in more competition. I would imagine if this airline ever gets off the ground, it’ll be in the same class as NK, G4, and F9. I doubt a bean counter from Allegiant would put much thought in quality product development.

TWA772LR

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:18 am

F9Animal wrote:
Can a ULCC provide good quality? Absolutely! However, it requires investing some of those profits to keep the product good. From what I see, most of the current ULCC's could care less about a quality product.

Spirit however seems to be doing something about it. I am hearing their on time performance and reliability is improving! Which leave me thinking they are investing into making the operation better. Can anyone confirm if my suspicion is true?

Investing in employees is investing in a good product. Southwest proved it.

jumpseat67

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:25 am

All I have to say about this venture is....WOW.

Gulfstream500

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:27 am

Guesses as for routes:

Houston to
- DAL
- LGB/ONT
- CLE
- PBI
- COS
- MEM
- RIC
- GYY

This seems to be like the type of airline to operate the secondary markets, so COS, LGB, PBI, GYY, and RIC seem to make sense. The rest are dehubbed airports or local (dal).

DL717

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 am

emuwarveteran wrote:
"the U.S. airline industry needs another budget airline" lol what

Like it needs a hotel in the head. :banghead:

WeatherPilot

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:44 am

With Moxy or whatever Neeleman calls it starting in a couple years and now this new airline getting in the game where are these guys finding pilots? You can’t train them faster. 1,500 hours is 1,500 hours.
Last edited by WeatherPilot on Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtnwest1979

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:45 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Guesses as for routes:

Houston to
- DAL
- LGB/ONT
- CLE
- PBI
- COS
- MEM
- RIC
- GYY

This seems to be like the type of airline to operate the secondary markets, so COS, LGB, PBI, GYY, and RIC seem to make sense. The rest are dehubbed airports or local (dal).

Just because they are Houston-based doesn't mean they will be Houston-centric. The Houston area seems serve3d well enough by all other carriers and there are better areas to start in IMO.

1836Sam

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 am

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Guesses as for routes:

Houston to
- DAL
- LGB/ONT
- CLE
- PBI
- COS
- MEM
- RIC
- GYY

Just because they are Houston-based doesn't mean they will be Houston-centric. The Houston area seems serve3d well enough by all other carriers and there are better areas to start in IMO.

I heard Austin is nice. :roll:

jetblueguy22

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:50 am

WeatherPilot wrote:
With Moxy or whatever Neeleman calls it starting in a couple years and now this new airline getting in the game where are these guys finding pilots? You can’t train them faster. 1,500 hours is 1,500 hours.

Go after the students at the 141 schools that can get a thousand hour waiver...that’s the new trend

CALMSP

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:51 am

agreed, i dont see anything where it says the routes are all out of Houston.

downdata

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:59 am

KRIC777 wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:

No I don't. The response to my original reply was that more competition was a good thing because it inspires good customer service. My point was that in in this case, I believe competition will only inspire lower fares - NOT good customer service (and if anything, LESS service) because most customers don't care about service NEARLY as much as they care about the fare. Better service costs money, and for airlines there is little to be gained by improving service because most passengers won't pay more for it. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just stating my opinion.

Come to Australia then where there are only two domestic full service airlines. An hour in a recliner J costs $1000+ one way between Syd - Mel despite there being 160+ frequencies in a day. But hey at least you get “good service”.

impilot

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:01 am

WeatherPilot wrote:

There are plenty of regional captains and FOs with thousands of hours trying to get out who will go. All they gotta do is pay a little more than regionals. I don’t see that as an issue. Scumbag regional outfits still have pilots filling RJ seats.

Rdh3e

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:06 am

downdata wrote:

Come to Australia then where there are only two domestic full service airlines. An hour in a recliner J costs $1000+ one way between Syd - Mel despite there being 160+ frequencies in a day. But hey at least you get “good service”.

You can routinely buy MEL-SYD for $50. That is amazing value. You can also get a first class ticket tomorrow for under $500.

In my travels I've found Australia to be one of the most affordable air markets (Domestically).

downdata

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:22 am

Rdh3e wrote:
downdata wrote:

You can routinely buy MEL-SYD for $50. That is amazing value. You can also get a first class ticket tomorrow for under $500.

In my travels I've found Australia to be one of the most affordable air markets (Domestically).

LAX - SFO costs substantially less. As are JFK - BOS. And they have far less frequencies than MEL - SYD.

GalebG4

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:42 am

TC957 wrote:
The words " high-quality " " extremely low fare " " basic transportation " don't mix too well in the airline industry.

No CEO is going to tell you, “ohhh our product is really shitty that general public likes a lot” Every CEO even ULCC is going to tell you, we have “high” quality product with great affordable prices. And in reality they have, but only general public usually buys shittiest one.

GalebG4

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:56 am

US does need new ULCC airlines. But in reality, is there enough of space so big guys don’t squeeze you out of market immediately. I saw Allegiant presentation future potential US intercity markets and there is market for new airlines in US. In reality it depends on the team, experience and at the end pure luck. Canada is going to be interesting, we are going to see what ULCC players might do in that area. Moxy is going to be interesting, I wish this guys a successful start of new airlines.

MAH4546

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:38 am

TC957 wrote:

Spirit Airlines, which has turned its quality reputation around tremendously, is proving otherwise.

airportugal310

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:49 am

I don't get the obsession with new market entrants in the US getting constantly poo-poo'd...it's as if the fanboy army here on a.net is afraid. So bizarro...

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 am

airportugal310 wrote:
I don't get the obsession with new market entrants in the US getting constantly poo-poo'd.

Probably because you mistake basic statements of fact with... how'd you put it?... "poo-poo."

The fact is, despite some on this site's ridiculous protests to the contrary: the market is extremely competitive, with 3 global legacy carriers + 1 regional legacy carrier, a nationwide LCC, a large east coast and transcon LCC, a large Hawaiian carrier, and two large ULCCs. There's not many niches in the market left unfilled, and most who've tried have met miserable demises in short order.

The last airline to launch and organically grow to major ($1B+ annual revenue), was launched 20yrs ago. That's not to say that no one could do it again, but the chances of that happening, are slim. Hence the reaction you see.

compensateme

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:26 am

MAH4546 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

Spirit Airlines, which has turned its quality reputation around tremendously, is proving otherwise.

Sure, they’ve made some operational improvements, but they remain the most complained about airline in 2018 per DOT.

Rdh3e

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:26 am

downdata wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
downdata wrote:

LAX - SFO costs substantially less. As are JFK - BOS. And they have far less frequencies than MEL - SYD.

You are incorrect. The Bay to the Basin has the most frequency of any city pair in the entire world. In April this year there are 190 daily round trips. That's about double the Melbourne to Sydney frequency.

Again, you can go buy a ticket for tomorrow in MEL-SYD for $50, doing the same for LAX-SFO is triple that, currently at $150.

MIflyer12

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:45 am

LAX772LR wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:
I don't get the obsession with new market entrants in the US getting constantly poo-poo'd.

Probably because you mistake basic statements of fact with... how'd you put it?... "poo-poo."

The fact is, despite some on this site's ridiculous protests to the contrary: the market is extremely competitive, with 3 global legacy carriers + 1 regional legacy carrier, a nationwide LCC, a large east coast and transcon LCC, a large Hawaiian carrier, and two large ULCCs. There's not many niches in the market left unfilled, and most who've tried have met miserable demises in short order.

The last airline to launch and organically grow to major ($1B+ annual revenue), was launched 20yrs ago. That's not to say that no one could do it again, but the chances of that happening, are slim. Hence the reaction you see.

Thanks for the perspective on that! I won't argue that the U.S. has 'enough' carriers (how many is enough?) but major markets are all competitive. Sure, somebody can point to high fares on a route like PWM-Billings, but that's flown by so few people every day that in a market of 800 million passengers annually it rounds down to nothing.

A new carrier is going to need to start with money - lots of money, like B6 did 20 years ago. This guy's goal of $100 million needs another digit. If you think that's too high a barrier entry, well, the U.S. is a very big market. Venture cap funds and Warren Buffet can find $1 Billion under their sofa cushions.

Veigar

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am

Good luck to them! Give us a killer livery too.

dmg626

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:50 am

I thought April Fools Day was over

sxf24

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

Thanks for the perspective on that! I won't argue that the U.S. has 'enough' carriers (how many is enough?) but major markets are all competitive. Sure, somebody can point to high fares on a route like PWM-Billings, but that's flown by so few people every day that in a market of 800 million passengers annually it rounds down to nothing.

A new carrier is going to need to start with money - lots of money, like B6 did 20 years ago. This guy's goal of $100 million needs another digit. If you think that's too high a barrier entry, well, the U.S. is a very big market. Venture cap funds and Warren Buffet can find $1 Billion under their sofa cushions.

$100M is adequate to start with a handful of used airplanes. That’s how much B6 had to start with new airplanes.

DfwRevolution

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:30 pm

GalebG4 wrote:
TC957 wrote:

No CEO is going to tell you, “ohhh our product is really shitty that general public likes a lot”.

That's pretty much exactly what the Spirit CEO said when challenged about their flying experience.

slider

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:32 pm

intotheair wrote:

I applaud the effort to bring in more competition. I would imagine if this airline ever gets off the ground, it’ll be in the same class as NK, G4, and F9. I doubt a bean counter from Allegiant would put much thought in quality product development.

I don't know if that was the case, per se, but I did hear on a reliable source that he was at odds with the former AA cabal when they came onboard, namely Kirby. Levy wanted to run UA like Allegiant--skinflint and frugal, including getting rid of domestic FC altogether (yes, that was actually a cockamamie idea, since most were upgrades and not purchased, he saw no added value, and couldn't be more wrong about something like that).

And then UA did the strange bifurcation of their CFO positions, which may have been the beginning of the end. Still, Levy did good work in pushing a used aircraft strategy for some fleet growth, which on the surface, I'd have thought would be exactly in line with Kirby's pronouncements about growing the network and building hubs up. Oh well.

I wish him well, but starting a new airline is a risky proposition on a good day.

RyanairGuru

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
downdata wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

You are incorrect. The Bay to the Basin has the most frequency of any city pair in the entire world. In April this year there are 190 daily round trips. That's about double the Melbourne to Sydney frequency.

Again, you can go buy a ticket for tomorrow in MEL-SYD for $50, doing the same for LAX-SFO is triple that, currently at $150.

I don't know where you are getting your data from but there are 213 flights tomorrow SYD-MEL/AVV and about 340 SFO/SJC/OAK-LAX/BUR/ONT/LGB/SNA.

Average gauge is much larger on SYD-MEL though, and overall there are more seats available on SYD-MEL/AVV than Bay Area-Basin. This is despite LA+SF+SJC having a population that is more than double SYD+MEL.

None of this changes that Australia is one of the most expensive air markets in the world. You can pick one data point to prove any point, but average fairs are much higher than the USA.

Rdh3e

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
I don't know where you are getting your data from but there are 213 flights tomorrow SYD-MEL/AVV and about 340 SFO/SJC/OAK-LAX/BUR/ONT/LGB/SNA.

Average gauge is much larger on SYD-MEL though, and overall there are more seats available on SYD-MEL/AVV than Bay Area-Basin. This is despite LA+SF+SJC having a population that is more than double SYD+MEL.

None of this changes that Australia is one of the most expensive air markets in the world. You can pick one data point to prove any point, but average fairs are much higher than the USA.

Cite any sources for airfare? I'm giving you real comparisons, you could at least do the same and show some data. Also, your flight stats are incorrect. There are 99 flights April 4th from AVV/MEL to SYD. from MEL: 43 QF, 27 VA, 14 JQ, 9 TT plus 6 JQ from AVV.

ShinyAndChrome

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

In addition to your list, I'd add Levy's own G4 which this new venture sounds remarkably similar to. I know this is all very early-stage but I'd be interested to see how he plans on distinguishing this new airline from G4 or even Moxy. Realistically, how much more non-incrementalinnovation is there to be made in the US airline sector short of an actual technological revolution?

Pi7472000

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:34 pm

downdata wrote:
KRIC777 wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

Yes, and at least on Virgin Australia there was not good service. Horrible delays with rude staff between MEL and SYD this week. Also, there planes were dirty, no IFE and worse snack than what Delta provides all for more money. Air New Zealand was amazing though and worth extra money for the comfort level.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Guesses as for routes:

Houston to
- DAL
- LGB/ONT
- CLE
- PBI
- COS
- MEM
- RIC
- GYY

Waiting for someone to go full bore into the one stop, no plane change model that WN utilizes. MEM could fit that stop in the middle well.

Example:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Hou-mem-cvg&MS=wls&DU=mi

intotheair

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:22 pm

slider wrote:
intotheair wrote:

I don't know if that was the case, per se, but I did hear on a reliable source that he was at odds with the former AA cabal when they came onboard, namely Kirby. Levy wanted to run UA like Allegiant--skinflint and frugal, including getting rid of domestic FC altogether (yes, that was actually a cockamamie idea, since most were upgrades and not purchased, he saw no added value, and couldn't be more wrong about something like that).

And then UA did the strange bifurcation of their CFO positions, which may have been the beginning of the end. Still, Levy did good work in pushing a used aircraft strategy for some fleet growth, which on the surface, I'd have thought would be exactly in line with Kirby's pronouncements about growing the network and building hubs up. Oh well.

I wish him well, but starting a new airline is a risky proposition on a good day.

Wow! I’d never heard that one before. Nobody has to go too far back in UA history to understand the value of domestic F — just look at how Ted pissed off elites while not even substantially reducing costs.

KarlB737

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:07 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
There are plenty of airports and routes out there,

What cities aren't served where there is notable population? Didn't we hear this same dance with Metropolitan Airways......

Metropolitan Airways Plans to Offer Business Flights at Detroit City Airport in 2018

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/Annual-2017/Metropolitan-Airways-Plans-to-Offer-Business-Flights-at-Detroit-City-Airport-in-2018/

lan763er

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm

WaywardMemphian wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Guesses as for routes:

Houston to
- DAL
- LGB/ONT
- CLE
- PBI
- COS
- MEM
- RIC
- GYY

Waiting for someone to go full bore into the one stop, no plane change model that WN utilizes. MEM could fit that stop in the middle well.

Example:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Hou-mem-cvg&MS=wls&DU=mi

That’d be interesting, but I think unless ops of that nature are concentrated at a hub in MEM the economies of scale (aircraft service etc.) would evaporate. The only real competitive advantage that tends to pop up in this industry is cost structures achieved through economies of scale from hubs. In the case of an LCC where the focus is on reducing costs, I don’t think a point to point shuttle network with one stops would work unless those stops were concentrated at a hub.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos