Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BENAir01

Re: Avelo Airlines News and Discussion Thread

Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:32 pm

They've been flying almost daily BUR-ONT-JAX-HPN-BUR and now BUR-ONT-HOU-JAX-HPN-BUR, not sure what the deal is.

F27500

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:52 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
They've been flying almost daily BUR-ONT-JAX-HPN-BUR and now BUR-ONT-HOU-JAX-HPN-BUR, not sure what the deal is.

I'm guessing this is crew training ?

wedgetail737

Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:37 am

Maybe Avelo should consider closing the BUR disaster and just concentrate on the East Coast.

Wneast

Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:42 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Maybe Avelo should consider closing the BUR disaster and just concentrate on the East Coast.

How exactly is it a disaster ? But I really think they backed themselves in a corner for much of a meaningful operation even being less daily I think

Jerseyguy

Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:29 am

F27500 wrote:
pbody wrote:
Well if everyone in HVN is going to full planes to Florida then good for them but I bet as soon as another airline puts florida on sale out of BDL then Avelo will be out of passengers. The Florida market is so insanely price sensitive they will drive 45 mins to save $12 on airfare.

What makes you think Avelo wouldn't just match the fares? Thats what airlines do in order to compete. Avelo knows BDL is their man competitor for HVN.

The reason places like HVN or TTN have trouble are a couple of things
1. Fares when its just the regionals to hubs, the majors charge more because of cost and their over estimation for a convenience premium
2 Convenience (closer) these airports have an area were its much more convenient and quicker to drive to them rather than the bigger airport. The convenience factor is lost when someone needs to connect
3. Convenience (easier) just try to park steps away from the terminal at BDL, drop off a bag and get thru security and to the gate in under 10 minutes. I've done it at TTN. I'm sure a similar time can be achieved at HVN
4. Parking: I was going to make a point about parking but apparently Tweed is crazy.. they had better find money fast to subsidize their $15/$18 a day parking rates. TTN has a much more reasonable $8 a day rate and unless it gets busy and you have to take the shuttle its walking distance to the terminal.. HVN has to realize they aren't catering to business travelers anymore.

TTN has found a good thing with Frontier and as long as Avelo doesn't melt down I think HVN can find some success with them.

wedgetail737

Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Wneast wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

How exactly is it a disaster ? But I really think they backed themselves in a corner for much of a meaningful operation even being less daily I think

I was actually just trying to invoke a response. But I was referring to the recent juggling of destinations out of BUR. I'm actually interested to see what other things they will do out of BUR or if they will create new non-BUR routes, like the STS-LAS flights.

Wneast

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Congrats avelo they aren’t starting MRY and SGU. And also moving PVU to November I really don’t think BUR works with small cities with a aircraft that has 189 seats that’s a little hard to fill.

PITFlyer330

Re: Avelo adding FNL, SGU, PVU, MRY

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:28 pm

and just like that Monterey and Saint george are gone https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/143 ... 34882?s=20

Pvu delayed two months

Wneast

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:30 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
and just like that Monterey and Saint george are gone https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/143 ... 34882?s=20

Pvu delayed two months

I laugh because you probably can’t fill a 189 seats to those places

nine4nine

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:41 pm

Wneast wrote:
Congrats avelo they aren’t starting MRY and SGU. And also moving PVU to November I really don’t think BUR works with small cities with a aircraft that has 189 seats that’s a little hard to fill.

They should really be aiming for places like TUS, ABQ, COS, SAT, DTW and MSP. Should easily fill 189 seats to these middle markets that are underserved. They’re doing mid markets from HVN so why not BUR instead of these small markets.

Wneast

Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:45 pm

nine4nine wrote:
Wneast wrote:

They should really be aiming for places like TUS, ABQ, COS, SAT, DTW and MSP. Should easily fill 189 seats to these middle markets that are underserved. They’re doing mid markets from HVN so why not BUR instead of these small markets.

I totally agree with small cities don’t seem working that well

wedgetail737

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:11 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

All because the CEO doesn't seem to understand some of these markets, it seems. MRY and SGU are NOT winter tourist markets by any stretch of the imagination...not many people go to National parks in the winter. MRY is also essentially a summer market.

F27500

Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:59 pm

I wonder if the 737-800s are just too much airplane for some of these flaky little places out west they're trying to fly to .. Provo .. St.George .. Ogden.. Eureka .. come on now .. would they ever need 189 seats for these little villages?

Now .. move those -800s to HVN and watch us them fill up! ;) ;)

dfwjim1

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:43 pm

F27500 wrote:
I wonder if the 737-800s are just too much airplane for some of these flaky little places out west they're trying to fly to .. Provo .. St.George .. Ogden.. Eureka .. come on now .. would they ever need 189 seats for these little villages?

Surprised they are flying to Eureka.

RJNUT

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:53 pm

MRY i thought could at least survive on intrastate travel alone. but as noted above, that's a lot of seats to fill on any O/D? market of these types

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:09 am

F27500 wrote:

Avelo would if they could but HVN doesn't have the runway to handle a fully-loaded -800. That's why Avelo is using the -700's.

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:11 am

Wneast wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
Wneast wrote:

I don't think the CEO understands the seaonality of SGU and MRY. SGU and MRY are not winter destinations.

Coronado990

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:13 am

They should add a BUR-ACV-SAN-ACV-BUR "W" routing. I'd bet they would be surprised.

RWA380

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:52 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

All because the CEO doesn't seem to understand some of these markets, it seems. MRY and SGU are NOT winter tourist markets by any stretch of the imagination...not many people go to National parks in the winter. MRY is also essentially a summer market.

No, but people from St George fly to S. California in the Fall - Spring I'm betting, Disney & the family vacations that happen a few times a year. Something not super expensive. Perfect XP Holiday.

Wneast

Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:54 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Wneast wrote:
nine4nine wrote:

I don't think the CEO understands the seaonality of SGU and MRY. SGU and MRY are not winter destinations.

I’m not sure if there CEO understands a lot lol

SXDFC

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:06 am

Does anyone know what the layout of the -700s will be? The ones they picked up from WN had 143 seats. Wonder if they will keep the WN seats and galleys?

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:44 am

RWA380 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

No, but people from St George fly to S. California in the Fall - Spring I'm betting, Disney & the family vacations that happen a few times a year. Something not super expensive. Perfect XP Holiday.

Yeah...if the families want to take their kids out cl classes. Fall sucks for any airlines.

joeblow10

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:59 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

I was told SGU IS a winter market - which, seemed shocking to me. Hence why they shut their runway down during the summer and not during the winter.

airlineworker

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:07 am

SXDFC wrote:
Does anyone know what the layout of the -700s will be? The ones they picked up from WN had 143 seats. Wonder if they will keep the WN seats and galleys?

I heard from a HVN booster group, one more row for 149 seats.

F9Animal

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:28 am

Let's face the current environment, it's not pretty. Especially with the new Covid variants rapidly growing, and this sense that things might take another turn again. All that mixed together and a brand new airline coming into play, it's honestly not looking good.

I would love to see this airline prove the negative posters wrong. And nobody really knows the financial security that the airlines has behind it. Perhaps these route cuts are cautionary, and a see and wait situation. Someone mentioned they have been flying alot of charters? That's guaranteed revenue!

Would love to see Avelo fly into Seattle or even BFI.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:34 am

joeblow10 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

I was told SGU IS a winter market - which, seemed shocking to me. Hence why they shut their runway down during the summer and not during the winter.

Makes sense to some extent. It was always a back to door to Vegas during peak seasons, and Cold Utah to warm California in the winter.

wedgetail737

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:00 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Makes sense to some extent. It was always a back to door to Vegas during peak seasons, and Cold Utah to warm California in the winter.

I suppose going from UT to CA. But does SGU REALLY have the population base to support even 2X weekly 737-800. I would imagine SGU would be more popular during the summer for those that like to visit National Parks in that area.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:46 am

They always did well with two-a-day [email protected]'s, and Once a day CRJ's to LAX. an 800 to Burbank? Who knows, but I doubt it. The Terminal has one, count'em ONE, Snack Vending Machine, and ONE pop machine.

bluecrew

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:14 am

FNL is... interesting. I live in Denver. I have a bad commute.

When people come to Colorado, by and large, they fly to Denver. Yes, there's Eagle/Vail/etc., which are all basically vacation traffic especially considering the price tag to get there... that's nothing compared to the resorts! The Springs keeps a tidy traffic number from people local or military-related traffic, but even people coming from the Springs routinely drive to Denver to fly.

Springs is 3x the size of Fort Collins... and they eke out regional jet flights and the occasional mainline to major airline hubs, plus a little low cost presence. Yeah, Fort Collins is a blast and it's near some good destination type spots, but it's not going to draw that sort of traffic. I'd bet they go Allegiant here and market this as the "Denver - Loveland Airport," if not initially then maybe 6 months after they start.

Tough market to say the least - others have tried and failed at FNL. Good on them for giving it a shot though.

RL757PVD

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:02 pm

I heard SGU was a deferral not a cancelation of service.

joeblow10

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:36 pm

bluecrew wrote:
FNL is... interesting. I live in Denver. I have a bad commute.

When people come to Colorado, by and large, they fly to Denver. Yes, there's Eagle/Vail/etc., which are all basically vacation traffic especially considering the price tag to get there... that's nothing compared to the resorts! The Springs keeps a tidy traffic number from people local or military-related traffic, but even people coming from the Springs routinely drive to Denver to fly.

Springs is 3x the size of Fort Collins... and they eke out regional jet flights and the occasional mainline to major airline hubs, plus a little low cost presence. Yeah, Fort Collins is a blast and it's near some good destination type spots, but it's not going to draw that sort of traffic. I'd bet they go Allegiant here and market this as the "Denver - Loveland Airport," if not initially then maybe 6 months after they start.

Tough market to say the least - others have tried and failed at FNL. Good on them for giving it a shot though.

Nobody has really failed at FNL. G4 ran a successful op for nearly a decade to LAS and eventually AZA but when the flight training traffic grew too much and there was no control tower - they packed up shop after a couple of close calls. They’re the only ones that have ever even tried it - minus some hodge podge random op by Elite to RFD

The airport does technically have a “tower” now in the form of a virtual tower… but it sounds like full approval has been delayed due to COVID. I would be surprised if G4 doesn’t return once it is fully authorized.

FNL is the perfect place for LCC service to Vegas, LA, PHX, maybe a few other places out West. I don’t know if Avelo will succeed though due to lack of marketing and awareness in the area.

ScottB

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:55 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
They always did well with two-a-day [email protected]'s, and Once a day CRJ's to LAX

Did they really "do well" to LAX, or was it mostly about moving SkyWest employees back and forth on company business or non-revs, as well as positioning flights sold as revenue flights?

alasizon

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:53 pm

ScottB wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
They always did well with two-a-day [email protected]'s, and Once a day CRJ's to LAX

Did they really "do well" to LAX, or was it mostly about moving SkyWest employees back and forth on company business or non-revs, as well as positioning flights sold as revenue flights?

I can tell you PHX-SGU was one of the best performing revenue LF routes pre-COVID and has remained strong (hence why it is 3x CR7s). A lot of the connections over PHX are to California but it isn't heavily concentrated to the LA Basin, it is spread out all over California. My guess is the demand is there for a direct connection to LA but not as 2-3x weekly service, rather it is one that benefits from smaller gauge but daily service.

LAX-SGU was entirely at-risk flying for SkyWest so they wouldn't have stayed in the market if they weren't making a profit.

redzeppelin

Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:37 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:

Pvu delayed two months

This is completely true, but nuanced. I live in Utah and frequently go to SGU for work. Within Utah, St. George is known as a nearby warm winter getaway where you can play golf 12 months per year. Lots of retirees and various affluent people in northern Utah (SLC metro) have vacation homes or condos in the SGU area. They tend to go there during the winter to escape the cold, snow, and inversions (valley smog) that plague SLC in the winter. My perception is that the population of the city almost doubles in the winter. The SGU airport is definitely busier in the winter, but I think a lot of it is outbound traffic driven by the seasonal residents.

The summer season draws tourists from other states and countries who come to visit Zion and surrounding parks, but they don't spend any time in the city of St. George. A lot of them fly to LAS and drive to Zion together with the Grand Canyon and other attractions as part of multi-stop itinerary. The daily summer high temps are often 110F and above. It's too hot to play golf, and St George doesn't have much else to offer them. :duck: (ZNP is at higher elevation and is usually much cooler than SG).

I was just talking to my St. George colleagues about this Avelo flight yesterday, before hearing that it was dropped/delayed. They seemed more interested in seeing the OO flight to LAX return.

F27500

Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:25 pm

Any word on who will be handling Avelo in the Florida destinations (indoor, i mean). I doubt they'd have their own actual staff at the check-in/gates for such low frequencies initially .. are they contracting to another carrier in MCO/FLL/TPA/RSW?

wnflyguy

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 pm

I’ve heard the same company that handles AS in TPA,FLL and MCO will be handling Avelo.

Flyguy

BENAir01

Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:08 am

Just watched an Avelo -800 land and texi to Ross West at HPN after parking my plane. Came in from El Paso. They were very hush hush about whatever was going on and asked that no pictures be taken. Weird seeing such a big plane park in a place dominated by small planes.

What was funny is that apparently the APU wasn't working so well so they had to hook up the GPU before shutting the engines, but the ground crews had trouble hooking the GPU up.

Also, when I left in the morning, among the numerous biz jets was VP-CAA, an MD-80. Doesn't seem to be a frequent visitor, but when I talked to some poeple last week, they said an MD-80 was coming in a lot and it seemed to be in connection with the Avelo.

airlineworker

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:14 am

F27500 wrote:
Any word on who will be handling Avelo in the Florida destinations (indoor, i mean). I doubt they'd have their own actual staff at the check-in/gates for such low frequencies initially .. are they contracting to another carrier in MCO/FLL/TPA/RSW?

With AA leaving HVN, wonder if Piedmont will be the ground company for Avelo?

sunking737

Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:16 am

VP is British Colony aka British Virgin Islands, Bermuda etc I think Avelo is doing DOJ charters for US Govt. So my question is not what they flew in to HPN, but what was flown into ELP?? I belive Avelo is doing more FAA proving runs.

32andBelow

Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:00 am

sunking737 wrote:
VP is British Colony aka British Virgin Islands, Bermuda etc I think Avelo is doing DOJ charters for US Govt. So my question is not what they flew in to HPN, but what was flown into ELP?? I belive Avelo is doing more FAA proving runs.

Why would avelo need to do more proving runs? They have a 121 cert

sunking737

Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:12 am

IDK They have been running flights between BUR and HVN?? Maybe moving equipment?/

F27500

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:00 am

sunking737 wrote:
IDK They have been running flights between BUR and HVN?? Maybe moving equipment?/

No they haven't.

F27500

Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:16 am

airlineworker wrote:
F27500 wrote:

With AA leaving HVN, wonder if Piedmont will be the ground company for Avelo?

I don't think so.. they're recruiting locally here for ground staff and crew members.

tichydev

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:00 pm

Wneast wrote:
F27500 wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
Seems like they’re using the 3ed 737-700 to operate charter flights to bring in additional revenue.
Vs the out of the gate over expansion the did with BUR.

Good luck
Flyguy

Makes sense to start off cautiously . I'm glad they are. I'd love to see them eventually base that 3rd plane here if their success on the initial round is good. I'll bet in the spring/summer, we'll see some seasonal MYR flights added into the mix too. Hopefully LAS in the future once the runway's lengthened. This is a great start, though!

There’s more coming in December they said, on some things have to be done first before they can add further destinations

I can very easily see them announcing PBI year round and a few seasonal markets (MYR at minimum) come December. PBI was, and still is, wildly popular as a requested destination in the comments on Avelo and TweedFacts' posts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the December announcement include some business targeted flying like MDW if another legacy doesn't step in to fill the gap left by American by then.

dabpit

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
I’ve heard the same company that handles AS in TPA,FLL and MCO will be handling Avelo.

Flyguy

I have heard similar.

RL757PVD

Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm

A PBI base might make a lot of sense for the following reasons:
1) A winter base alternative when HVN will be having a weather event, can reposition resources to keep the network going
2) One of the few Florida airports with no major ULCC presence... PBI probably has the lowest LCC/ULCC share of any major Florida airport
3) Growing market and ability to tap into the Vero Beach area which has a growing affinity for New England

ASFlyer

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:08 pm

wnflyguy wrote:

Flyguy

AS has their own staff above wing in FLL and MCO.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:38 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
2) One of the few Florida airports with no major ULCC presence... PBI probably has the lowest LCC/ULCC share of any major Florida airport

Allegiant, Frontier, and Spirit all operate out of PBI.

RL757PVD

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:57 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

I said major LCC/ULCC presence... the ULCC/LCC share at PBI is significantly smaller than the ULCC share at other Florida airports in the 500,000+ passenger realm.

AVLAirlineFreq

Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:33 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

I said major LCC/ULCC presence... the ULCC/LCC share at PBI is significantly smaller than the ULCC share at other Florida airports in the 500,000+ passenger realm.

I do wonder if there's a reason for that...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos