Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:30 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2019/

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kef-sfo

That's 4,204 mi/6765 km/3653 nm

Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.
 
User avatar
GSPFlyer
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:15 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:52 am

Ishrion wrote:
Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.


If we're counting routes that are no longer in service, Delta operated ATL-BSB with a 757, which is 3,623 nm Great Circle distance.

Not sure when it ended, but here's an article from when the route was announced: https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines- ... g-december
 
gregn21
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.


If we're counting routes that are no longer in service, Delta operated ATL-BSB with a 757, which is 3,623 nm Great Circle distance.

Not sure when it ended, but here's an article from when the route was announced: https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines- ... g-december


Off topic, but I never realized DL flew LAX-GRU at one point, as mentioned in the article. Does anyone know what equipment was used?
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:14 am

gregn21 wrote:
GSPFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.


If we're counting routes that are no longer in service, Delta operated ATL-BSB with a 757, which is 3,623 nm Great Circle distance.

Not sure when it ended, but here's an article from when the route was announced: https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines- ... g-december


Off topic, but I never realized DL flew LAX-GRU at one point, as mentioned in the article. Does anyone know what equipment was used?


https://news.delta.com/delta-strengthen ... ervice-new

767-300ER
 
Dreamflight767
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:00 am

Not sure what this means. Either SFO is doing pretty crappy for them since it only needs a 757 (& I'm sure it will have to be weight restricted) or, the 757 is an amazing airplane to fly all that way with that much of a load. No wonder FI is having such heartburn letting those 757s go.
 
BrodieBruce
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:51 am

It's only for 5 days, according to the routes online link.
 
Ishrion
Topic Author
Posts: 1042
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:59 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
Not sure what this means. Either SFO is doing pretty crappy for them since it only needs a 757 (& I'm sure it will have to be weight restricted) or, the 757 is an amazing airplane to fly all that way with that much of a load. No wonder FI is having such heartburn letting those 757s go.


It might be due to 737 MAX groundings? They could be shuffling aircraft around to utilize them. Or it's 767 specific.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12416
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:03 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.

If we're counting routes that are no longer in service, Delta operated ATL-BSB with a 757, which is 3,623 nm Great Circle distance.

:shakehead: :shakehead: Longest scheduled 757 flight was MX's CUN-EZE, which it operated seasonally and was actually the continuing leg of MEX-CUN-EZE.

This flight probably spent less time in the air though than the westbound of either of the above, since it has such a high north/south component to it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8425
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 am

One has to consider that we are talking about a westbound flight in May, more benign conditions, than in the winter.

I assume Icelandair is forced to adjust due to the 737MAX grounding, needing the 767 for high capacity shorter routes. In S18 Icelandair had more empty seats on offer on North America to KEF, than on KEF to Europe. Losing potential passengers because of that mismatch.
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:23 am

WOW Air was flying several times nonstop KEF-SFO and KEF-LAX with their A 321neo TF-SKY. Only on the way back they sometimes stopped for fuel in Edmonton. So they were first in longhaul flights with narrowbodys.
 
Lapplander800
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:46 am

Ishrion wrote:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/283691/icelandair-san-francisco-aircraft-changes-in-may-2019/

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kef-sfo

That's 4,204 mi/6765 km/3653 nm

Is this the longest scheduled 757 flight? According to wiki, the longest was RDU-CDG on Delta at 3522 nm.


They have flown KEF-SFO a handful of times on a 757 over the winter. Keep in mind that they only have (4) 767, if one is in scheduled maintenance and another goes tech there isn't a lot of wiggle room there for a long leg with RON.
 
klm617
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:15 am

Both Northwest and Condor used to fly the 757 on DTW-FRA
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8425
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
WOW Air was flying several times nonstop KEF-SFO and KEF-LAX with their A 321neo TF-SKY. Only on the way back they sometimes stopped for fuel in Edmonton. So they were first in longhaul flights with narrowbodys.


I would rather assume they stopped flying west than east.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9622
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 pm

It is a long flight distance-wise but I don't think it will be the longest time-wise. KEF-SFO does not have to content with the strong jetstream that the typical norht Atlantic crossings are faced with. So for example, I suspect that TXL-EWR or CDG-RDU spend more time aloft than KEF-SFO will.
For example, compare yesterday's TXL-EWR with KEF-SFO:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /EDDT/KEWR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KSFO
 
User avatar
CARST
Posts: 1546
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm

airbazar wrote:
It is a long flight distance-wise but I don't think it will be the longest time-wise. KEF-SFO does not have to content with the strong jetstream that the typical norht Atlantic crossings are faced with. So for example, I suspect that TXL-EWR or CDG-RDU spend more time aloft than KEF-SFO will.
For example, compare yesterday's TXL-EWR with KEF-SFO:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /EDDT/KEWR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KSFO


I'm with you that TXL-EWR was probably the 757 route suffering the most from strong headwinds. But for exactly that reason in combination with growing passenger numbers, UA963 was changed to 763 and 764 equipment about two or three years ago. You very rarely see a UA 757 these days at TXL, it's nearly all 767 with a healthy mix of the -400 and -300.
 
reltney
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:20 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
WOW Air was flying several times nonstop KEF-SFO and KEF-LAX with their A 321neo TF-SKY. Only on the way back they sometimes stopped for fuel in Edmonton. So they were first in longhaul flights with narrowbodys.




Not even close...more like the LAST airline to start long haul with narrow body aircraft. Many airlines have been flying 757s on long haul before WoW was a thought on paper. Not a slam on you, just your statement is very wrong.

First long haul narrow body would be BOAC with the comet, Pan Am with the 707, DC-8. The DC-8 is 5 abreast seating which is even more narrow than the 757 or narrowbody airbus and has up to a 6500 mile range with the -62 model. The real question is the definition of long haul. Usually it is an ocean crossing.

WoW is far from the first and longest narrowbody long haul by a few decades. Maybe they were the longest nonstop narrow body airbus scheduled flight. Air Canada and British airways have been flying the Little airbus across the Atlantic for years before WoW was an airline.

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
airbazar
Posts: 9622
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:15 pm

CARST wrote:
airbazar wrote:
It is a long flight distance-wise but I don't think it will be the longest time-wise. KEF-SFO does not have to content with the strong jetstream that the typical norht Atlantic crossings are faced with. So for example, I suspect that TXL-EWR or CDG-RDU spend more time aloft than KEF-SFO will.
For example, compare yesterday's TXL-EWR with KEF-SFO:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /EDDT/KEWR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KSFO


I'm with you that TXL-EWR was probably the 757 route suffering the most from strong headwinds. But for exactly that reason in combination with growing passenger numbers, UA963 was changed to 763 and 764 equipment about two or three years ago. You very rarely see a UA 757 these days at TXL, it's nearly all 767 with a healthy mix of the -400 and -300.


I know that. I was simply using the same airplane type on both routes (both a B763), to prove that flying time is longer over shorter distances, over the north Atlantic due to the strong head winds. 8.5 hours aloft is not a huge challenge for a 752.
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8425
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:32 pm

CARST wrote:
airbazar wrote:
It is a long flight distance-wise but I don't think it will be the longest time-wise. KEF-SFO does not have to content with the strong jetstream that the typical norht Atlantic crossings are faced with. So for example, I suspect that TXL-EWR or CDG-RDU spend more time aloft than KEF-SFO will.
For example, compare yesterday's TXL-EWR with KEF-SFO:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /EDDT/KEWR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KSFO


I'm with you that TXL-EWR was probably the 757 route suffering the most from strong headwinds. But for exactly that reason in combination with growing passenger numbers, UA963 was changed to 763 and 764 equipment about two or three years ago. You very rarely see a UA 757 these days at TXL, it's nearly all 767 with a healthy mix of the -400 and -300.


Why do you imagine that TXL - EWR suffers stronger headwinds than KEF - SFO? Just curios, both are mainly east west routes. North south routes suffer less headwinds.
 
arcticcruiser
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
CARST wrote:
airbazar wrote:
It is a long flight distance-wise but I don't think it will be the longest time-wise. KEF-SFO does not have to content with the strong jetstream that the typical norht Atlantic crossings are faced with. So for example, I suspect that TXL-EWR or CDG-RDU spend more time aloft than KEF-SFO will.
For example, compare yesterday's TXL-EWR with KEF-SFO:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /EDDT/KEWR
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ICE ... /BIKF/KSFO


I'm with you that TXL-EWR was probably the 757 route suffering the most from strong headwinds. But for exactly that reason in combination with growing passenger numbers, UA963 was changed to 763 and 764 equipment about two or three years ago. You very rarely see a UA 757 these days at TXL, it's nearly all 767 with a healthy mix of the -400 and -300.


Why do you imagine that TXL - EWR suffers stronger headwinds than KEF - SFO? Just curios, both are mainly east west routes. North south routes suffer less headwinds.


Simply because it does. The average wind components on TXL-EWR are far stronger, especially in fall and winter than KEF-SFO, which actually has quite low average components.
 
User avatar
Adipasquale
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:46 pm

reltney wrote:
The DC-8 is 5 abreast seating which is even more narrow than the 757 or narrowbody airbus and has up to a 6500 mile range with the -62 model.

Not trying to get too nitpicky and off topic here, but the DC-8 has 6 abreast seating in (almost) all configurations. The DC-8 being designed for 6 abreast seating was the reason Boeing widened the 707 to also be 6 across, and the reason 707s and KC-135s have a different cross-section.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W
 
DLATL
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Also, DL used to do JFK to PSA (Pisa, Italy) with a 757 which probably suffered the headwinds too.
 
laca773
Posts: 2080
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:10 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:07 am

FI has used 752s on their SEA-KEF flights for years. It's a good thing FI still has a decent 75 fleet so they have some flexibility when a 76W goes tech, or on certain days when demand is lower & the 752s will cover the demand perfectly.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5517
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:33 am

laca773 wrote:
FI has used 752s on their SEA-KEF flights for years. It's a good thing FI still has a decent 75 fleet so they have some flexibility when a 76W goes tech, or on certain days when demand is lower & the 752s will cover the demand perfectly.


They also fly it KEF-PDX, even a few miles longer. I was living in San Francisco at the time FI came in th first time & our company was designated by FI for wholesale & bulk rate providers. At that time FI wasn't under the impression that the 757 could make the route without a payload restriction, hence the leased 767. The employees of the company decided between LAX or SFO, we were told by our sales people. So I guess my question would be, what has transpired between then & now, that has made the 757 able to operate the route? I understand it's temporary.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 1863
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:13 am

RWA380 wrote:
laca773 wrote:
FI has used 752s on their SEA-KEF flights for years. It's a good thing FI still has a decent 75 fleet so they have some flexibility when a 76W goes tech, or on certain days when demand is lower & the 752s will cover the demand perfectly.


They also fly it KEF-PDX, even a few miles longer. I was living in San Francisco at the time FI came in th first time & our company was designated by FI for wholesale & bulk rate providers. At that time FI wasn't under the impression that the 757 could make the route without a payload restriction, hence the leased 767. The employees of the company decided between LAX or SFO, we were told by our sales people. So I guess my question would be, what has transpired between then & now, that has made the 757 able to operate the route? I understand it's temporary.


Could be the winglets that have been added since 2005.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5637
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:31 pm

klm617 wrote:
Both Northwest and Condor used to fly the 757 on DTW-FRA


The short-lived second NW DTW-FRA was a very light 16J/144Y no-AVOD 5600-series 757.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070822040 ... ndex.shtml

Icelandair shows a config with 24 more passengers. https://www.icelandair.com/about/our-fl ... g-757-200/
 
airbazar
Posts: 9622
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Why do you imagine that TXL - EWR suffers stronger headwinds than KEF - SFO? Just curios, both are mainly east west routes. North south routes suffer less headwinds.

The jetstream is not a consistent west to east flow. It oscilates north-south too.
You don't even need fancy wind reports. Just look at a map of the jetstream and look at the prevailing flow. Notice how there's nothing in the gc route between KEF and SFO as opposed to the huge swaths of red and purple in the north Atlantic.
http://weatherstreet.com/states/gfsx-30 ... recast.htm
Another consideration is that KEF-SFO is as much North-South as it is East-West.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=kef-sfo&MS=wls&DU=mi
 
reltney
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:34 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Adipasquale wrote:
reltney wrote:
The DC-8 is 5 abreast seating which is even more narrow than the 757 or narrowbody airbus and has up to a 6500 mile range with the -62 model.

Not trying to get too nitpicky and off topic here, but the DC-8 has 6 abreast seating in (almost) all configurations. The DC-8 being designed for 6 abreast seating was the reason Boeing widened the 707 to also be 6 across, and the reason 707s and KC-135s have a different cross-section.



Ahhhh your right! . Nit pick is good as it was an important time in Jetlinery history. I need to look at my DC-8 books again and I even have a old Delta seat sticker chart! You got me and my old memory.. It was the DC-9 with 2x3 seating. True on the history of the 707/135.

Cheers!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6313
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:40 pm

reltney wrote:
Adipasquale wrote:
reltney wrote:
The DC-8 is 5 abreast seating which is even more narrow than the 757 or narrowbody airbus and has up to a 6500 mile range with the -62 model.

Not trying to get too nitpicky and off topic here, but the DC-8 has 6 abreast seating in (almost) all configurations. The DC-8 being designed for 6 abreast seating was the reason Boeing widened the 707 to also be 6 across, and the reason 707s and KC-135s have a different cross-section.



Ahhhh your right! . Nit pick is good as it was an important time in Jetlinery history. I need to look at my DC-8 books again and I even have a old Delta seat sticker chart! You got me and my old memory.. It was the DC-9 with 2x3 seating. True on the history of the 707/135.


Another hard one to compare was cabin width. It is accurately noted that the cabin of the 707 was wider than the DC-8. But, on the Palomar interiors of the DC-8, the outboard armrest was a part of the cabin structure. It housed the oxygen plumbing, electrics for the seats, seat anchor and was the lower curtain rail. so cabin width was measured from the inside of the outboard armrests on the DC-8 but to the cabin wall of the 707 family. Actually, the DC-8 seats were slightly wider.

Regardless, in the early 1960s, both were a very comfortable ride on long haul flights!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
IWMBH
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Icelandair to Use 757s on KEF-SFO

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:43 pm

I think the 797 can't come soon enough for FI, with an average of 23,5 years of age they really should be on the look out for a replacement.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos