User avatar
FabDiva
Topic Author
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 am

From BBC News ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47797738 )

Regional airline Flybe has cancelled dozens of flights on Wednesday morning for what it describes as "operational reasons".

Five flights from Belfast City Airport and four from Birmingham are among those affected, along with departures from Southampton, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Most of the flights are within the UK.

The airline said it would like to "sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused".

"All customers affected have been emailed and advised they can rebook for travel on an alternative flight or apply for a full refund," the company said in a statement.

Customers vented their frustration on social media.

Image Copyright @[email protected]
Report
On Monday, Flybe passengers on a new route were left with a six-hour coach journey when their aircraft was grounded.

The 18:40 service from Newquay to Heathrow could not take off on Sunday because of a "technical issue".

Cornwall Airport Newquay said passengers were offered "rebooking for another flight or ground transport to London Heathrow".

Flybe was bought early this year in a rescue deal following poor financial results.

Connect Airways, a consortium led by Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic, paid a total of £2.8m for Flybe's assets and operations.

Aggressive expansion
The Exeter-based regional airline put itself up for sale last November, following a profit warning the previous month.

Virgin, Stobart Air and Cyrus Capital set up Connect Airways in December.

Flybe fell into difficulty in 2017, after what was considered a too-aggressive expansion strategy. The company ran up a near-£20m loss in the financial year ending 31 March 2017.

Image copyrightCHRIS DENNIS
Image caption
Passengers were booked onto a brand new route from Newquay to Heathrow but ended up on a coach
This January, one employee was moved to send an email accusing the firm's directors of ruining a profitable company.

The employee, a senior pilot, addressed the email to Flybe's chief executive, Christine Ourmieres-Widener.

"Congratulations, in two years at Flybe you and your fellow incompetent cohorts have managed to totally destroy a viable airline which was making profits when you took over," he wrote.

The BBC understands that the airline has suspended the pilot.

Flybe told the BBC that "an individual was suspended on 17 January 2019 in accordance with company policy".


Broken Q400s? or Something deeper?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Non descriptive title
 
Bongodog49
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:00 am

is this an aircraft leasing problem ? I'm guessing this on the basis that the cancellations are spread across the network with no airport 100% cancelled.

if the "new flybe" have failed to agree terms with the aircraft owners this would be the result, aircraft grounded as they no longer have permission to use them.
 
Andy33
Posts: 2427
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:25 am

Posters on PPrune are attributing this to crew shortages, whether pilots, cabin crew, or both isn't stated. It does come just after the announcement that the CWL and DSA bases are to close. Not clear either whether this is due to Ryanair-style mismanagement of flying hours, a sickout, some kind of unofficial strike or just failure to roster sufficient crew members.
 
caaardiff
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:14 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:39 am

They are struggling to retain crew due to the uncertainty. CWL and DSA to close in an operational shake up, no word on if routes will be operated from other bases (if possible). EXT will see the end of E-jet flights as well.
It was suggested others shortages were due to redundancy announcements, but theres only one cancellation from CWL though. The main ones being BHD and BHX which are unaffected.
Sad times for DSA and CWL which relied heavily on Flybe, especially on domestic routes.
What's interesting is these were both project blackbird bases, which was funded to give the E195s something to do. That was supposed to be a 10year deal which would've been broken, but begs the question if these were funded and they still weren't making money, are they feasible routes?
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6529
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:45 am

The article says they just moved to the summer schedule, did they cock up the planning of this?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8866
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 am

Assuming they do not open new bases, flights from Cardiff to Belfast, Edinburgh and Glasgow can be run from the other end. For Doncaster/Sheffield it is only Belfast.

This is assuming that these routes are viable.
 
User avatar
FabDiva
Topic Author
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 am

From https://ukaviation.news/flybe-to-close- ... ter-bases/ - the site does appear to be under heavy load

Flybe is to close its ejet bases at Cardiff (CWL/EGFF), Doncaster (DSA/EGCN) and Exeter (EXT/EGTE) airports at the end of Summer 2019.

In documents seen by us, the airline has told its pilots that the decision follows a “critical review of the business performance” which means the company will be “ceasing ejet operations” from the three regional airports.

The Exeter Base will remain open for Dash 8 Q400 operations only.

The closure is extremely bad news for all 3 airports which rely heavily on the Flybe operations which account for a large number of the daily flights at each airport, in particular Cardiff and Exeter where the move could be potentially devastating to the operations there.

The airline says that it is not the companies intention to make any pilot redundant but will require “directional moves” by pilots to relocate to other bases.

The airline goes on to say that it is likely that Cabin Crew at Cardiff and Doncaster will be made redundant.

Flybe has been making a loss for some time under the stewardship of CEO
Christine Ourmières-Widener and was recently purchased by Connect Airways. A consortium led by Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group.

The new airline is expected to focus on more on feeding Virgin Atlantic hubs and its clear that Connect Airways is already moving to clear unprofitable operations from the airline.

We understand the airline has notified the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) and Cardiff, Doncaster and Exeter Airports have been asked for comment.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as comment and more information becomes available.
 
Bhoy
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 am

I had a cancelled flight BHX-GLA yesterday, which was attributed to 'Operational reasons' (if anyone cares, I was rebooked to Edinburgh and put on a Bus from there). I was chatting to Customer Service on the phone about a separate delay a few weeks ago this morning, and mentioned this, and the guy basically said 'operational reasons' were code for crew shortage.
 
StreetF117
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:38 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:49 am

FabDiva wrote:
From https://ukaviation.news/flybe-to-close- ... ter-bases/ - the site does appear to be under heavy load

Flybe is to close its ejet bases at Cardiff (CWL/EGFF), Doncaster (DSA/EGCN) and Exeter (EXT/EGTE) airports at the end of Summer 2019.

In documents seen by us, the airline has told its pilots that the decision follows a “critical review of the business performance” which means the company will be “ceasing ejet operations” from the three regional airports.

The Exeter Base will remain open for Dash 8 Q400 operations only.

The closure is extremely bad news for all 3 airports which rely heavily on the Flybe operations which account for a large number of the daily flights at each airport, in particular Cardiff and Exeter where the move could be potentially devastating to the operations there.

The airline says that it is not the companies intention to make any pilot redundant but will require “directional moves” by pilots to relocate to other bases.

The airline goes on to say that it is likely that Cabin Crew at Cardiff and Doncaster will be made redundant.

Flybe has been making a loss for some time under the stewardship of CEO
Christine Ourmières-Widener and was recently purchased by Connect Airways. A consortium led by Virgin Atlantic and Stobart Group.

The new airline is expected to focus on more on feeding Virgin Atlantic hubs and its clear that Connect Airways is already moving to clear unprofitable operations from the airline.

We understand the airline has notified the British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) and Cardiff, Doncaster and Exeter Airports have been asked for comment.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated as comment and more information becomes available.



Based upon the 24 scheduled arrivals / 24 departures planned for today from / to Cardiff , 12 scheduled arrivals and 12 departures are Flybe flights.

http://www.southwalesaviationgroup.co.u ... 42019.html

If Flybe do stop flights from Cardiff (CWL) then that would be half the flights. This will significantly financially impact the airport and its owners.

Hopefully the Flybe can continue to operate some of these flights if the aircraft are based at other airports.
A319 A320 A32N A321 A332 A333 A346 A359 A380 B732 B733 B734 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B763 B764 B77E B77W BCS3 SU95 DH8D
 
Bongodog49
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:08 am

Andy33 wrote:
Posters on PPrune are attributing this to crew shortages, whether pilots, cabin crew, or both isn't stated. It does come just after the announcement that the CWL and DSA bases are to close. Not clear either whether this is due to Ryanair-style mismanagement of flying hours, a sickout, some kind of unofficial strike or just failure to roster sufficient crew members.


According to BBC news passengers were getting cancellation messages yesterday evening regarding flights today, whilst that could be down a failure to get enough crew rostered, its unlikely to be down to a sudden outbreak of "illness" After all its easy to spot a protest when someone says they will be going down with something tomorrow.
 
StreetF117
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:38 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:28 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Posters on PPrune are attributing this to crew shortages, whether pilots, cabin crew, or both isn't stated. It does come just after the announcement that the CWL and DSA bases are to close. Not clear either whether this is due to Ryanair-style mismanagement of flying hours, a sickout, some kind of unofficial strike or just failure to roster sufficient crew members.


According to BBC news passengers were getting cancellation messages yesterday evening regarding flights today, whilst that could be down a failure to get enough crew rostered, its unlikely to be down to a sudden outbreak of "illness" After all its easy to spot a protest when someone says they will be going down with something tomorrow.


Updated information on BBC news website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47797738

"The company blamed an industry-wide shortage of pilots for the delays, as well as its own pilots taking holidays."

Also rumoured that due to ongoing finanicial situation, pilots and flight crew have been leaving.
A319 A320 A32N A321 A332 A333 A346 A359 A380 B732 B733 B734 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B763 B764 B77E B77W BCS3 SU95 DH8D
 
Bongodog49
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:34 am

StreetF117 wrote:
Bongodog49 wrote:
Andy33 wrote:
Posters on PPrune are attributing this to crew shortages, whether pilots, cabin crew, or both isn't stated. It does come just after the announcement that the CWL and DSA bases are to close. Not clear either whether this is due to Ryanair-style mismanagement of flying hours, a sickout, some kind of unofficial strike or just failure to roster sufficient crew members.


According to BBC news passengers were getting cancellation messages yesterday evening regarding flights today, whilst that could be down a failure to get enough crew rostered, its unlikely to be down to a sudden outbreak of "illness" After all its easy to spot a protest when someone says they will be going down with something tomorrow.


Updated information on BBC news website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47797738

"The company blamed an industry-wide shortage of pilots for the delays, as well as its own pilots taking holidays."

Also rumoured that due to ongoing finanicial situation, pilots and flight crew have been leaving.


Most competent airlines can identify a widespread pilot shortage more than 24 hours before a flight, they also have a system in place giving a minimum period of notice to take holiday, lastly a Tuesday which isn't the first working day of the month seems an unlikely day for mass instant resignations.
 
caaardiff
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:14 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:39 am

Had this response from flybe regarding CWL

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch. We are not stopping all flights from Cardiff. We will still offer a schedule but operated by Q400 aircraft and not jets. :) - Denny
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6529
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:51 am

What airlines are these pilots looking at to move to?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:55 am

Bongodog49 wrote:
StreetF117 wrote:
Bongodog49 wrote:

According to BBC news passengers were getting cancellation messages yesterday evening regarding flights today, whilst that could be down a failure to get enough crew rostered, its unlikely to be down to a sudden outbreak of "illness" After all its easy to spot a protest when someone says they will be going down with something tomorrow.


Updated information on BBC news website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47797738

"The company blamed an industry-wide shortage of pilots for the delays, as well as its own pilots taking holidays."

Also rumoured that due to ongoing finanicial situation, pilots and flight crew have been leaving.


Most competent airlines can identify a widespread pilot shortage more than 24 hours before a flight, they also have a system in place giving a minimum period of notice to take holiday, lastly a Tuesday which isn't the first working day of the month seems an unlikely day for mass instant resignations.

Pilots don't run out of hours in early April. That doesn't bode well for later in the year.
 
eidvm
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:57 am

readytotaxi wrote:
What airlines are these pilots looking at to move to?


I believe British Airways, Aer Lingus and TUI have hired large numbers of Flybe pilots in the past 6 months.
 
wexfordflyer
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm

leghorn wrote:
Pilots don't run out of hours in early April. That doesn't bode well for later in the year.


Are FTLs calculated on a rolling 12-month basis? I'm assuming they are
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:34 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
leghorn wrote:
Pilots don't run out of hours in early April. That doesn't bode well for later in the year.


Are FTLs calculated on a rolling 12-month basis? I'm assuming they are

If they were then I think Ryanair wouldn't have been in trouble last year anyhow do you want to be going in to an interview saying "by the way I can only fly 300 hours this year"
 
User avatar
FabDiva
Topic Author
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:29 pm

leghorn wrote:
Pilots don't run out of hours in early April. That doesn't bode well for later in the year.


I suspect it's more crew with a surplus of leave, in many companies the staff annual leave entitlement resets in April (Tax Year) and so there is often a rush to use it before they lose it.

My employer will roll over small numbers of days, its easier then arranging cover when everyone is trying to use up their leave entitlement,
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1919
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:50 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
What airlines are these pilots looking at to move to?


Anyone with stability and higher payrates.


After decades of airlines sh*tting on pilots, they finally have some opportunity in their careers with this wave of retirements. Airlines abused the pilots so much, the supply dried up and now we have this.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
wexfordflyer
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: More Trouble at FlyBE

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm

leghorn wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:
leghorn wrote:
Pilots don't run out of hours in early April. That doesn't bode well for later in the year.


Are FTLs calculated on a rolling 12-month basis? I'm assuming they are

If they were then I think Ryanair wouldn't have been in trouble last year anyhow do you want to be going in to an interview saying "by the way I can only fly 300 hours this year"


I don't see how it being rolling 365 day or calendar year would have made a difference to FR. They messed up their planning, simple as. The interview point also doesn't apply as I see it. You could still have to say "I can only fly XX hours over the next XX months". Anyway, the monthly limits will restrict this somewhat.

I just did a quick check and it appears that it is hours in a 365 day period, so it is rolling 12 months.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.
 
User avatar
PW100
Posts: 3719
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:17 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:02 pm

It's my understanding that EMB will leave the fleet, and this seems to be effected fairly quickly. As in, it has already started.
Q400 ops seems less affected by "operational reasons" . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"
 
TigerMatt
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:42 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi guys,

I have a flight booked (BE 3001) for early June. It's my understanding that this flight continued to run as normal today, and is scheduled to do so in the future. But is there anything I can do to prepare for the worst case scenario?

Also, we booked this flight under Air France, so not entirely sure what happens if FlyBe do go under?

I'm probably other thinking it because it's the flight I've ever actually booked myself, but would like to hear views from more people in the know.

Thanks,
Matt
 
Bhoy
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:56 pm

PW100 wrote:
It's my understanding that EMB will leave the fleet, and this seems to be effected fairly quickly. As in, it has already started.
Q400 ops seems less affected by "operational reasons" . . .

I'm not actually sure what the Fleet plans are anymore, in May last year, flybe said their plan was for the nine E-195s to leave the fleet by end of Winter19/20 (in fact, some of these were transferred to Stobart's ownership last summer, but continue flying for flybe as a Franchisee). Flybe also still have 4 E-175s due for delivery from Embraer this year (the plans were for the 175 fleet to stay).

Having said all that, with Stobart now effectively taking flybe over, who knows what the fleet plans are any more.


As for Q400 ops being less affected by "operational reasons", like I said upthread, I had a cancelled BHX-GLA flight yesterday, and that was scheduled to be a Q400 (I think a BHX based crew - the return from GLA was also cancelled, as well as flight to BHD about 4 hours later. Maybe I'm adding 1 and 1 and getting 3, but it looked like 1 missing crew would have explained that). Certainly ABZ, BHD and EDI bases are predominantly Q400 bases, I'd imagine NCL and SOU are, too, with BHX seeing all types. CWL and SEN are the predominant E-Jet bases I'm aware of (with SEN being fully Stobart operated, as the Stobart group own the Airport)
 
sk736
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:47 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I had a Flybe flight cancelled at the last minute a couple of weeks ago due to crew sickness. To be fair to Flybe, my £213 EU 261 compensation was in my bank account four days later!
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm

https://www.mcginleyaviation.com/companies/flybe/s7981/

They are still hiring but that pay doesn't seem great to me considering the competition that is out there for pilots. You'd really have to be looking to get something non-monetary out of it like a base close to extended family for it to be attractive to you.
McGinley are tweeting vacancies as of 5 hours ago.
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Ryanair corporate-jet 737 ei-sev circling around Doncaster like a vulture today on FR24. Looks like it is being evaluated and being negotiated at FlyBEs expense.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8301
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:07 pm

leghorn wrote:
Ryanair corporate-jet 737 ei-sev circling around Doncaster like a vulture today on FR24. Looks like it is being evaluated and being negotiated at FlyBEs expense.


Crew training.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Dare to dream
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Dare to dream
 
Armodeen
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:17 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:41 pm

My FlyBe flight MAN-TLS on 07/04 was swapped to the dash instead of the usual E75 with a few days to go. Pilots on the day blamed crew shortages (flight crew for the Embraer fleet presumably) for the swap.
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:24 pm

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2019-04- ... e-closure/

40 pilots and 50 cabin crew at risk of redundancy but crew shortages being blamed in the post directly above.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8866
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm

The disruption was caused by crew shortages, so they are going to make some redundant.

Wonder how many, (if any) flights to CWL/DSA are likely in future.

As for devolving APD, wonder how they will cover the lost tax revenue.
 
UKflyboy
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:37 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:41 pm

I know this is going slightly off topic with the thread. J know alot of the EMB were leased on poor and expensive contracts but to wipe them out and leave the fleet totally reliant on the “more efficient” Q400’s is worrying. I’ve been tracking Q400 flights recently and the majority of flights are delayed by well over an hour and these include feeder flights into LHR & MAN as well as other regional routes.

I know there hasn’t been enough financial backing to invest in new aircraft but I really think the Q400’s need to go.

I’ve also noticed on MAN/BHX - IOM Aand others are back to Q400’s have replaced Stobarts ATR’s.
 
User avatar
Aisak
Posts: 841
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:56 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

leghorn wrote:
40 pilots and 50 cabin crew at risk of redundancy but crew shortages being blamed in the post directly above.

Which both are reasons that complement each other. The company has announce that it is going to withdraw the Embraer fleet and that it won’t be replaced.

If the operation shrinks there will be redundancies. Where from? From the crew directly related to operate that fleet. If I were thinking of leaving for another airline, what would I do? Go now and be in a short list among 3-4 more candidates or wait till that “short” list is full of my current FlyBE colleagues?

And if I weren’t thinking of it, management have publicly stated that I should.

UKflyboy wrote:
J know alot of the EMB were leased on poor and expensive contracts but to wipe them out and leave the fleet totally reliant on the “more efficient” Q400’s is worrying. I’ve been tracking Q400 flights recently and the majority of flights are delayed by well over an hour and these include feeder flights into LHR & MAN as well as other regional routes.


If I were management (A.net armchair CEO 101). I would have IMMEDIATELY transferred those E175 and E195 (or the leasing contracts) onto sister airline Stobart as soon as both entities are wholly owned by connect.

The BE planes and crew would find home at Stobart with the Ejets used to fly on behalf of BA CityFlyer, KLM cityhopper and FlyBE itself. Wetlease that capacity back to FlyBE and begin reducing from that combined fleet. It’s always hard. But going from 19 to 0 is a lot harder to digest than from 20 to 3/4 no matter what timeframe is involved.

But announcing base closures, end of leasing contracts with no relocation of crew, seems like the perfect storm.

UKflyboy wrote:
I know there hasn’t been enough financial backing to invest in new aircraft but I really think the Q400’s need to go.

As per Wikipedia and airfleets, there are 54 Q400 in FlyBE. That’s a lot of replacing for a shrinking airline that was just at the brink of collapse a few weeks ago.
And replace with? ATR? They are going to be quite busy building new frames!!
 
leghorn
Posts: 869
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:41 am

Aisak wrote:
leghorn wrote:
40 pilots and 50 cabin crew at risk of redundancy but crew shortages being blamed in the post directly above.

Which both are reasons that complement each other. The company has announce that it is going to withdraw the Embraer fleet and that it won’t be replaced.

If the operation shrinks there will be redundancies. Where from? From the crew directly related to operate that fleet. If I were thinking of leaving for another airline, what would I do? Go now and be in a short list among 3-4 more candidates or wait till that “short” list is full of my current FlyBE colleagues?

I don't believe that. They are firing pilots familiar with their operations and the airports from which they fly.
I don't believe that absolutely none of these pilots didn't get promoted internally and didn't have prior Q400 experience when they transitioned over to Embraer.
I don't believe that none of these pilots were being prepared for a move off the type which was being signaled for a very long time as the Management were saying that the leases on their Embraers were punitive and they were trying extricate themselves from them. No pilots looking to long term job prospects would have just kept plodding along like that.

FlyBE has had their pilots poached. That is why they are short of staff.
 
Bhoy
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:19 pm

UKflyboy wrote:
I’ve also noticed on MAN/BHX - IOM Aand others are back to Q400’s have replaced Stobarts ATR’s.

There's a fair few GLA-BHD flights from this week that are now down as ATRs, so I don't know if a Stobart base has been relocated to Belfast?
 
David_itl
Posts: 6354
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:39 am

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:01 pm

UKflyboy wrote:
I’ve also noticed on MAN/BHX - IOM Aand others are back to Q400’s have replaced Stobarts ATR’s.


IOM is now a Flybe base and not Stobart, Announced last summer http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=41224&headline=Flybe%20to%20re-establish%20Ronaldsway%20base&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2018
 
Bhoy
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:50 pm

Re: Flybe cancels dozens of flights for "operational reasons"

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Bhoy wrote:
UKflyboy wrote:
I’ve also noticed on MAN/BHX - IOM Aand others are back to Q400’s have replaced Stobarts ATR’s.

There's a fair few GLA-BHD flights from this week that are now down as ATRs, so I don't know if a Stobart base has been relocated to Belfast?

Just noticed, they're not Stobart ATRs, they're Nordica ones, although flybe.com says 'operated by Regional Jet' :confused:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos