x1234
Topic Author
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:48 pm

I used to fly JetBlue IAD-JFK to connect to international airlines in JFK as the airfare is vastly cheaper out of JFK. Why did they cancel the route!? They should really fly DCA-JFK if they can get the DCA slots.
 
tphuang
Posts: 2769
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm

They need the DCA slots for more profitable O&D flight. JFK-IAD was consistently one of the worst routes out of JFK. They needed those JFK slots for stuff that actually make money.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Tell me exactly why B6 should fly the route at all? Or why B6 should fly every route for the matter? If one can't make money then move on, simple. It's not if you don't have anyone flying JFK-WAS at the moment.

Michael
 
UALFAson
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:41 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:20 pm

Because the percentage of airfare that B6 got for the domestic portion of IAD-JFK is nothing compared to whatever the international carrier received. B6 has much better (i.e. more profitable) uses of limited resources like planes and DCA slots than flying to NY.

There is an ever-decreasing amount of O&D demand between D.C. and New York as more and more people are taking Amtrak. It's not any longer time-wise door to door, a train ticket purchased in advance is often cheaper than flying, and most importantly, is it a MUCH nicer experience taking the train between the two cities versus flying.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."
 
Swadian
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:56 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 pm

UALFAson wrote:
Because the percentage of airfare that B6 got for the domestic portion of IAD-JFK is nothing compared to whatever the international carrier received. B6 has much better (i.e. more profitable) uses of limited resources like planes and DCA slots than flying to NY.

There is an ever-decreasing amount of O&D demand between D.C. and New York as more and more people are taking Amtrak. It's not any longer time-wise door to door, a train ticket purchased in advance is often cheaper than flying, and most importantly, is it a MUCH nicer experience taking the train between the two cities versus flying.


Actually, Amtrak RPMs and ASMs are stagnating on the NEC around 66% load factor. Dilution from other city pairs limits Amtrak's usefulness. Buses take a larger share than either Amtrak or airlines, with Peter Pan dumping J4500s on the route with ever-higher capacity.
John Wang, Founder and President of Inland Streamliner.
 
zuckie13
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:54 am

The answer is real simple.

Most of us that live in the DC area will choose the usually cheaper options of just driving, taking a bus or taking a train. Door to door it takes the same amount of time to take Amtrak as it does to fly (Get to the train station 10 mins to departure vs 1.5 hours to fly). The folks that really want/need to fly are mostly flying for business and mostly want the convenience of the schedule and location of taking the shuttles to LGA. There is just not a good business case for it. Top that off with the fact that the first flight that ATC will hold in the penalty box when things stack up is the one coming from DC and that just makes it worse. Same reasons WN gave up BWI-EWR and BWI-LGA real quick after they tried it.
 
jbooser
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:22 am

Because IAD was an underperforming city and DCA is very slot restricted.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:30 am

1. Jetblue doesn’t have enough planes to waste on dead markets.
2. DCA to JFK makes no money. It’s a waste of time.
3. JFK is a leisure market for B6
4. B6 is not in the business connecting passengers. It’s just an outcome of scheduling that it happens. Look at the new schedules out now. They are not designed for connecting flights
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1372
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:03 am

Blueknows wrote:
1. Jetblue doesn’t have enough planes to waste on dead markets.
2. DCA to JFK makes no money. It’s a waste of time.
3. JFK is a leisure market for B6
4. B6 is not in the business connecting passengers. It’s just an outcome of scheduling that it happens. Look at the new schedules out now. They are not designed for connecting flights

About #4, I assume you mean at JFK. Because they are certainly trying to connect people to their Caribbean network in FLL.
 
CHOWahoo
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:12 am

IAD-JFK had trash yields and I was shocked it lasted as long as it did. I flew this route often and never paid more than $89 each way... usually much less even as a walk up fare. My company would often require us to drive 2 hrs to IAD to take this flight to NYC as an alternative to the much, much higher fares for CHO/RIC to LGA.
 
Blueknows
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:31 am

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:25 am

No they are not. They operate Caribbean markets direct from jfk. The FLL market is for FLL customers. You have to stop thinking of B6 as a legacy spoke and hub. They don’t operate in that manner. They also don’t chose routes that way. Certain markets are done for pure penetration. MSP is example of that. They went in knowing it would be bad. They announced it was worse the they planned. They’ve change strategy and looking at trying possible FLL -MSP once we get more airplanes
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:40 am

Amtrak.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5337
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:43 am

NYs hometown airline doesnt need to fly NY to DC.

Makes no money

Nobody from NY flies to DC.

Never mind all those other flights from JFK LGA and EWR to DCA and IAD.

Those guys dont know what they are doing.

Not a clue
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5337
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: How come JetBlue doesn't fly JFK-IAD/DCA!?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:46 am

CHOWahoo wrote:
IAD-JFK had trash yields and I was shocked it lasted as long as it did. I flew this route often and never paid more than $89 each way... usually much less even as a walk up fare. My company would often require us to drive 2 hrs to IAD to take this flight to NYC as an alternative to the much, much higher fares for CHO/RIC to LGA.




They actually bumped up frequency from 2 to 3 daily after UA left JFK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos