Galvan316
Topic Author

Are cargo services a precursor to passenger service?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Pretty straight forward.

But I've often wondered this. I've noticed that a few times a Cargo operation will run an established city pairing for several quarters, and then passenger service will start to said city.

Examples off the top of my head:

EVA Air to ORD; they had a well established cargo operation into ORD for a while, before starting passenger services to TPE.
Same with Yangtzee/Supura before Hainan into PEK

So there is a pattern,(at least twice) now it is entirely possible that my example is a little skewed due to the city (ORD) I am working with.

But I ask this simply because LATAM recently started Cargo services to ORD and China Southern and China Airlines have had Cargo operations into ORD for years yet no passenger services.
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

Galvan316
Topic Author

Re: Are cargo services a precursor to passenger service?

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:07 pm

I am well aware that there are instances where Cargo operators run into small cities like Fargo or Anchorage, due to logistics, I get that.

NameOmitted

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:10 pm

I think it world be more accurate to say that both cargo and passenger services are driven by connections between two locations than that one is a precursor to the other.

Galvan316
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:12 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
I think it world be more accurate to say that both cargo and passenger services are driven by connections between two locations than that one is a precursor to the other.

That's fair.

do you think its because of the Global Alliances? and the ability to offer A to B to C connections easier?

jubaexpress

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:24 pm

What you seem to have with ORD and Eva is a omitted variable bias. The missing variable is that Chicago is a large city with what appears to be a good economy, and a busy airport. Therefore, service to another major city seems likely, for both cargo and self-loading cargo.

However, for example, other cargo routes I would contend not. For example, there are regular services between Amman and Maastricht with Royal Jordanian; Istanbul and Maastricht with TK; Nairobi and Maastricht with TK and EK. These are not precursors to service, nor should they be considered as such.

Galvan316
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:51 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
What you seem to have with ORD and Eva is a omitted variable bias. The missing variable is that Chicago is a large city with what appears to be a good economy, and a busy airport. Therefore, service to another major city seems likely, for both cargo and self-loading cargo.

However, for example, other cargo routes I would contend not. For example, there are regular services between Amman and Maastricht with Royal Jordanian; Istanbul and Maastricht with TK; Nairobi and Maastricht with TK and EK. These are not precursors to service, nor should they be considered as such.

Completely agree with you.

There is some bias, but my I do think my ORD examples have some weight to them.

dfwjim1

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Cathay Pacific has been flying cargo into DFW for years but still no passenger service and Cathay is in One World.

ITSTours

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Asiana flies ATL for cargo only, possibly because there are Korean automobile manufacturers around the region.
But with Delta and Korean Air dominating, Asiana will probably never enter the Delta's stronghold.

MIflyer12

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 pm

ITSTours wrote:
Asiana flies ATL for cargo only, possibly because there are Korean automobile manufacturers around the region.

There are two for those keeping score: The Hyundai plant in Montgomery, Alabama, opened in 2005; the Kia plant in West Point, Georgia, opened in 2010.

NearMiss

Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 pm

Well, I'm still expecting Korean to start ICN - SCL, since they've been flying cargo for a few years now, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

AirKevin

Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:51 pm

So what is your theory for an airline that doesn't operate a dedicated cargo fleet, like United, Delta, American, British Airways, and Air Canada, for instance.
Captain Kevin

nikeherc

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:03 am

Well, if Huff Daland crop dusters can become Delta Airlines, I guess anything is possible.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos