LH658
Topic Author

Gulf Air & IAH

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Found this article this month, found some interesting details. Bahrain Emir Al Khalifa, is coming to Houston, looking for energy companies to invest in Bahrain shale oil. In the article posted, the Emir wants to add direct flights to Houston, would love to see Gulf Air Return.

"It’s an easy place to set up shop” for companies of various sizes, said Al-Khalifa, adding that the kingdom is also looking at the possibility of direct flights to Houston to facilitate trade ties."

Any thoughts? Is there room for Gulf Air at IAH?

Plane spotters look out for the Bahrani Emir flight.

https://www.rigzone.com/news/bahrain_se ... SX6fDDZ80A

drerx7

Re: Gulf Air & IAH

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm

They served IAH briefly with the A340 from what I remember...what was the routing? Also a bit of IAH nostalgia - the PIA 747 Classic via MAN
HOUSTON, TEXAS

klm617

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:39 pm

drerx7 wrote:
They served IAH briefly with the A340 from what I remember...what was the routing? Also a bit of IAH nostalgia - the PIA 747 Classic via MAN

They flew IAH-JFK-BAH
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Airlines0613

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

That would be great! Ever since oil shot back up, new airlines are starting to launch new flights to IAH.

UAEflyer

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Maybe one of US3 should take the lead, IAH-DMM-BAH or IAH-BAH-DMM make sense.

1836Sam

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 pm

It stopped in LCA in at least one direction IIRC.

Highly doubt GF is returning to the US anytime soon. What he said was typical of dignitaries visiting foreign countries.

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Reason why i posted this cause it coming from the Emir I am sure he runs GF.

LH658
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:21 pm

1836Sam wrote:

Highly doubt GF is returning to the US anytime soon. What he said was typical of dignitaries visiting foreign countries.

But the Emir runs GF, and literally every activity in Bahrain.

1836Sam

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:36 pm

LH658 wrote:
1836Sam wrote:

But the Emir runs GF, and literally every activity in Bahrain.

Well, in that vein, why not look up how many times SV has talked about flying to Houston.

texdravid

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:55 pm

From the moment IAH opened it has had an amazing number of foreign metal serve the airport.

Short of JFK or LAX, I can’t think of another US airport that has attracted such foreign metal both big and small.

I mean, with PIA, SAA, Gulf Air in the past to the current numerous ME airlines and their impressive list of Asian carriers, and also NZ air, IAH is an amazing international airport. Oil is King I guess, along with the Star alliance being way better and larger than OneWorld.

I say this as a huge DFW fan who is green with jealousy.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

Acey559

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:57 pm

I just flew Gulf Air in business on their 787 from LHR-BAH and the A320 from BAH-FRA. It was a nice experience. Service was good and the seats were pretty nice on the 787. The Airbus was a little dated but I think those are getting updated. Probably not up to the standards of EK or QR, but still nice. Once the new BAH terminal is built, it will be a very nice airport. I hope they do well if they decide to come back to the US.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:03 pm

texdravid wrote:
From the moment IAH opened it has had an amazing number of foreign metal serve the airport.

Short of JFK or LAX, I can’t think of another US airport that has attracted such foreign metal both big and small.

I mean, with PIA, SAA, Gulf Air in the past to the current numerous ME airlines and their impressive list of Asian carriers, and also NZ air, IAH is an amazing international airport. Oil is King I guess, along with the Star alliance being way better and larger than OneWorld.

I’m a DFW spotter too, but IAH isn’t anywhere close to being like JFK or LAX as IAH only has 13 international (including internet and Volaris)carriers just 2 more then dfw

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:04 pm

texdravid wrote:

Also SFO,BOS,MIA?

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Besides businessmen who would fly on this route?

tbboko802

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Planes4you wrote:
texdravid wrote:

I’m a DFW spotter too, but IAH isn’t anywhere close to being like JFK or LAX as IAH only has 13 international (including internet and Volaris)carriers just 2 more then dfw

The above statement is incorrect. With the addition of Ethiopian Airlines in June, IAH will have 21 foreign airlines and DFW has 13.
Be Open to Change

Airlines0613

Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:29 pm

Planes4you wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Actually 21 foreign carriers on Summer 2019 at IAH compared to 13 foreign carriers at DFW this summer. By next year, we will have 22 with TAP joining the group and a possibility of many more by the looks of it. Obviously not close to JFK or LAX, but more than 50% than DFW.

Sounds like you’re a DFW fan.

Airlines0613

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:08 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Besides businessmen who would fly on this route?

That’s why the Emir wants it, specifically to connect the Energy Capital of the World to Bahrain. It’s oil driven, not profit driven.
Honestly, I would not be surprised if the flight was launched.

Airlines0613

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 pm

IMHO, I believe there’s going to be a huge increase of foreign carriers at IAH in the next 5 years as oil stabilizes. My predictions are:
TP - Announced for 2020.
GF - Emir announced intentions.
SV - A matter of time.
MU - Intentions announced.
EY - Possible codeshare with UA.
CX - Largest US major not served.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 pm

texdravid wrote:

Really? You cant?

Because I can think of several: BOS, SFO, ORD, and MIA have added more foreign flags in recent years than IAH.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

sonicruiser

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
IMHO, I believe there’s going to be a huge increase of foreign carriers at IAH in the next 5 years as oil stabilizes. My predictions are:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

You can add PK to that list. Massive Pakistani population in the area, 3rd largest in the US.
Last edited by sonicruiser on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

MU won’t be flying to IAH they said they wanted to but never did they’ll serve DFW before IAH.IAH already serves PTY and I guarantee there’s no more demand otherwise they would’ve done it by now.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

Also just because iah is star alliance that doesn’t mean air India will fly there with that logic Cathay pacific,royal Jordan,and LATAM would be at DFW now

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

Youre a lot more optimistic than I am. TP has announced their intentions for 2020 and MU expressed interest, but at least for the long hauls, I dont know about the rest.

CX has no good reason to be here at all. IAH-HKG is small, theres no alliance hub, and the connections are well covered via BR, SQ, and NH.

GF doesnt serve anywhere in the US. Despite this article, I doubt were first on their list.

I dont see why SK would be interested either. Norway's is trying to reduce its dependence on oil and Statoil is diversifying. The IAH-SVG will probably reduce in size as IAH-MOW has.

OZ is in awful financial shape. They wont be expanding anywhere for a while.

SV caters more to Hajj Muslims and ethnic travel than oil based travel.

The rest have a higher than 0% chance but not all are a slam dunk.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

You can add PK to that list. Massive Pakistani population in the area, 3rd largest in the US.

If that’s the case then why haven’t they flown to the largest Pakistani in the US? I don’t think PK will be flying to the US anytime soon

sonicruiser

Planes4you wrote:
Also just because iah is star alliance that doesn’t mean air India will fly there with that logic Cathay pacific,royal Jordan,and LATAM would be at DFW now

Yeah I'd expect AI for DFW and PK for IAH.

DFW=More Indians
IAH=More Pakistanis

LAXdude1023

sonicruiser wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

What??? PK doesnt even serve NYC.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Airlines0613 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Actually 21 foreign carriers on Summer 2019 at IAH compared to 13 foreign carriers at DFW this summer. By next year, we will have 22 with TAP joining the group and a possibility of many more by the looks of it. Obviously not close to JFK or LAX, but more than 50% than DFW.

Sounds like you’re a DFW fan.

TAP isn’t confirmed things change and they might not fly to IAH.

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

MU won’t be flying to IAH they said they wanted to but never did they’ll serve DFW before IAH.IAH already serves PTY and I guarantee there’s no more demand otherwise they would’ve done it by now.

What? IAH has a lot more demand to China than DFW, PVG included. DFW has a lot more demand to Korea.

No way MU shows up at DFW to compete with AA for an already small market.

sonicruiser

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Planes4you wrote:
If that’s the case then why haven’t they flown to the largest Pakistani in the US? I don’t think PK will be flying to the US anytime soon

Because it was unprofitable. PK will inevitably return to the US at some point once they manage to get their finances in order, when that is no one knows. But when they return to JFK, it is almost guaranteed their next choice would be ORD or IAH.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

What? IAH has a lot more demand to China than DFW, PVG included. DFW has a lot more demand to Korea.

Where’s you get that from? The Asia market At dfw is pretty big

Ishrion

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Planes4you wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

I really don't see MU flying to DFW before IAH. For starters, it's AAs insane fortress hub and would probably attack MU if they launched it. DFW has service to PVG, PEK, NRT, ICN and HKG while IAH only has service to NRT and PEK as the only Asian city I believe.

Yeah, they announced intentions on serving it: https://aviationweek.com/awincommercial ... n-shanghai

Not sure what the demand from Houston to Asia is but I'm assuming it's pretty high and underserved.

You may be right on PTY. Air China already serves it from IAH as a connection point as well as direct service on United.
Last edited by Ishrion on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

IAH-East Asia is bigger than DFW-East Asia by about 20%.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Once we get China southern which will most likely happen and possible service to Nagoya (due to Toyota) it’ll be bigger.Id also like to add ANA might operate here but that’s a wild card guess and won’t happen for awhile

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
TP - Announced for 2020.
SV - A matter of time.
AI - Star Alliance hub.
SK - Return
OZ - Fill in for KE
AV - With potential JV
CM -With potential JV

I really don't see MU flying to DFW before IAH. For starters, it's AAs insane fortress hub and would probably attack MU if they launched it. DFW has service to PVG, PEK, NRT, ICN and HKG while IAH only has service to NRT and PEK as the only Asian city I believe.

Yeah, they announced intentions on serving it: https://aviationweek.com/awincommercial ... n-shanghai

Not sure what the demand from Houston to Asia is but I'm assuming it's pretty high and underserved.

You may be right on PTY. Air China already serves it from IAH as a connection point as well as direct service on United.

IAH-PTY is doing awful and has less then 100 passengers

Ishrion

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Once we get China southern which will most likely happen and possible service to Nagoya (due to Toyota) it’ll be bigger.Id also like to add ANA might operate here but that’s a wild card guess and won’t happen for awhile

If ANA were to ever operate to DFW... it won't be for a while. There's already 3x daily DFW-NRT on AA/JL. In addition to that, AA has applied for 2x DFW-HND which will probably replace two of the NRT flights. If not, 4 or more flights a day seems like a lot. And.. if you're saying there's possible service to Nagoya, why would that attract ANA to DFW if Japan is well served?

1836Sam

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

DFW already has way more capacity to Asia than IAH.

You kind of seem all over the place.

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Im talking about O&D, not total service. More people travel to and from Houston (as their final destination) from Asia than DFW by about 20%.

You wont be getting NGO. Toyota was in LA, a city with MUCH higher demand to and from Japan, and they couldnt even get it.

DFW-NRT is over served relative to the size of the local market but it works because of the JV between JL/AA. That said, an outsider to that JV doesnt stand a chance in that market. To be fair the exact same thing could be said about IAH-NRT and UA/NH.

CZ didnt fly CAN-DTW (which has more demand and better geography) when DL and CZ were partners. I dont see how DFW adds anything here. To top it off, there are no more frequencies to be had from tier 1 Chinese markets to the US (PVG, PEK, CAN). Theyd have to cancel frequencies from LAX, SFO, or JFK which is not plausible.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

If ANA were to ever operate to DFW... it won't be for a while. There's already 3x daily DFW-NRT on AA/JL. In addition to that, AA has applied for 2x DFW-HND which will probably replace two of the NRT flights. If not, 4 or more flights a day seems like a lot. And.. if you're saying there's possible service to Nagoya, why would that attract ANA to DFW if Japan is well served?

ANA would either do HND or TYO and Nagoya would be served on a 788 by either AA or JL

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Im talking about O&D, not total service. More people travel to and from Houston (as their final destination) from Asia than DFW by about 20%.

You wont be getting NGO. Toyota was in LA, a city with MUCH higher demand to and from Japan, and they couldnt even get it.

DFW-NRT is over served relative to the size of the local market but it works because of the JV between JL/AA. That said, an outsider to that JV doesnt stand a chance in that market. To be fair the exact same thing could be said about IAH-NRT and UA/NH.

CZ didnt fly CAN-DTW (which has more demand and better geography) when DL and CZ were partners. I dont see how DFW adds anything here. To top it off, there are no more frequencies to be had from tier 1 Chinese markets to the US (PVG, PEK, CAN). Theyd have to cancel frequencies from LAX, SFO, or JFK which is not plausible.

CZ would fly to DFW because of their partnership with AA and NGO would probably be served by AA if jal doesn’t do it

Ishrion

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Heck, MU and DL are still partners and MU doesn't serve China-DTW :rotfl:

1836Sam

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm

This has become a lot of fun so quickly.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The O&D data via IATA.

Ask anyone who’s associated with dfw or knows so someone associated with it they’ll all agreed China southern will be at dfw within the next few years.Plus their partnership is much stronger then DLs when they were partners with CZ

Ishrion

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

CZ would fly to DFW because of their partnership with AA and NGO would probably be served by AA if jal doesn’t do it

CZ could fly to DFW if they wanted to. But not directly from Guangzhou, their primary hub. Like the guy above said, they've maxed out on Tier 1 Frequencies. They would have to do something like CAN-WUH-DFW as they do that for SFO. However, the Asian service to SFO is much greater than DFW.

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

CZ cant just fly anywhere they want. There are no open frequencies.

CZ had a partnership with DL and didnt fly to any of their hubs and no airline flew LAX-NGO. The odds of DFW seeing either (especially NGO) are almost non-existent.

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:06 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

Ask anyone who’s associated with dfw or knows so someone associated with it they’ll all agreed China southern will be at dfw within the next few years.Plus their partnership is much stronger then DLs when they were partners with CZ

Ummm...I can assure you I know a lot more people "associated" with DFW than you appear to. Otherwise, you wouldnt have the opinions you do. That doesnt mean they wont try to get airlines to fly those routes, but airports court hundreds of airlines a year and get maybe 1-3 on average.

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:06 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

CZ had a partnership with DL and didnt fly to any of their hubs and no airline flew LAX-NGO. The odds of DFW seeing either (especially NGO) are almost non-existent.

The difference is AA stronger at DFW then LAX so we have a much better change of having service to NGO(Served by AA most likely) due to AA

LAXdude1023

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

The difference is AA stronger at DFW then LAX so we have a much better change of having service to NGO(Served by AA most likely) due to AA

Ok, now youre just saying words.

DFW-Japan is about 7% the size of LAX-Japan and despite LA having Toyota, they NEVER got service to NGO.

Ishrion

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:

Should probably stop this conversation and make a new thread regarding this... although it will probably be pointless considering how many "What will be the next foreign carrier to come to DFW/IAH?" threads there have been.

This thread has gone from Gulf Air at IAH to DFW-Asia...

Planes4you

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Ok, now youre just saying words.

DFW-Japan is about 7% the size of LAX-Japan and despite LA having Toyota, they NEVER got service to NGO.

Times are different airlines are starting to do more and more weird things you never know.Take ICE and WW for example if you had told an aviator they’d fly to dfw they’d think you were crazy.

1836Sam

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Planes4you wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Should probably stop this conversation and make a new thread regarding this... although it will probably be pointless considering how many "What will be the next foreign carrier to come to DFW/IAH?" threads there have been.

This thread has gone from Gulf Air at IAH to DFW-Asia...

Or just send a paper bag to North Texas and tell someone to “breathe deeply.”

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos