acavpics
Topic Author

Scary situation on Qatar Airways A320 this week.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:15 am

Last Tuesday (April 3rd, 2019), two of my family members were traveling on Qatar airways flight QR537 from Kozhikode, India (CCJ) to DOH, which was operated by an A320 (A7-AHJ) According to my mother, about half way through the 4 hour flight, somewhere over the Arabian sea, the plane started swinging from side to side. And the swinging was a lot more intense than your everyday turbulence. Then, the a/c pitched downwards for a few seconds. My mother said that this whole thing(swinging + down pitch) lasted for about 15 sec. The passengers were in absolute PANIC; screaming, crying, praying, you name it. In fact, my mother even saw one passenger at the front (big big guy) almost slip out of his seat.

Once the a/c had stabilized, everyone was expecting an announcement as to what happened. However, what they got was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Thankfully, the flight continued to DOH without any other issues.

I would love to know 1. What may have happened during this terrifying few seconds? and 2. Why on Earth QR's crew and pilots did not utter a word about this to the passengers during the rest of the flight?

If somebody works at or has connections at Qatar Airways at the moment, it would be appreciated if you could relay the information to the airline so that they can get this issue sorted out and avoid risking hundreds of innocent lives in the future..... So much for being a 5* airline.
Last edited by acavpics on Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Re: Scary situation on Qatar Airways A320 this week.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 am

Was it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjv3xBB-HmY

Go to 5:56

FriscoHeavy

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:24 am

Did anyone ever figure out exactly what caused the issue in the YouTube video?

It lasted an awfully long time.
Whatever

QueenoftheSkies

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 am

acavpics wrote:
Last Tuesday (April 3rd, 2019), two of my family members were traveling on Qatar airways flight QR537 from Kozhikode, India (CCJ) to DOH, which was operated by an A320 (A7-AHJ) According to my mother, about half way through the 4 hour flight, somewhere over the Arabian sea, the plane started swinging from side to side. And the swinging was a lot more intense than your everyday turbulence. Then, the a/c pitched downwards for a few seconds. My mother said that this whole thing(swinging + down pitch) lasted for about 15 sec. The passengers were in absolute panic; screaming, praying, you name it. In fact, my mother even saw one passenger at the front (big big guy) almost slip out of his seat.

Once the a/c had stabilized, everyone was expecting an announcement as to what happened. However, what they got was ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Thankfully, the flight continued to DOH without any other issues.

I would love to know 1. What may have happened during this terrifying few seconds? and 2. Why on Earth QR's crew and pilots did not utter a word about this to the passengers during the rest of the flight?

If somebody works at or has connections at Qatar Airways at the moment, it would be appreciated if you could relay the information to the airline so that they can get this issue sorted out and avoid risking hundreds of innocent lives in the future..... So much for being a 5* airline.

It’s called turbulence, next question.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:30 am

Ishrion wrote:
Was it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjv3xBB-HmY

Go to 5:56

Well, the swinging in the video seemed pretty similar to what my mom was describing. But the part I'm really concerned about was the downward nose pitch on QR573, which I didn't see in the video. Also, A7-AHJ encountered this incident at cruising alt (About 35-36,000ft according to FR24), not during the final descent like in the video.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:32 am

QueenoftheSkies wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Last Tuesday (April 3rd, 2019), two of my family members were traveling on Qatar airways flight QR537 from Kozhikode, India (CCJ) to DOH, which was operated by an A320 (A7-AHJ) According to my mother, about half way through the 4 hour flight, somewhere over the Arabian sea, the plane started swinging from side to side. And the swinging was a lot more intense than your everyday turbulence. Then, the a/c pitched downwards for a few seconds. My mother said that this whole thing(swinging + down pitch) lasted for about 15 sec. The passengers were in absolute panic; screaming, praying, you name it. In fact, my mother even saw one passenger at the front (big big guy) almost slip out of his seat.

It’s called turbulence, next question.

Then what explains the downward pitch? I get the swaying from side to side.Was there suddenly an air mass with such high pressure that it caused the plane to semi-nose dive?

WPvsMW

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:34 am

Mountain wave ... wait... no mountains.

SRQKEF

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:40 am

Maybe CAT (clear air turbulence), uncomfortable but nothing dangerous per se. I'm sure the everyday passengers can't really tell the difference between a short nosedown dive or simply a drop in altitude, I'm pretty sure this was the latter.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

smokeybandit

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:40 am

Airbus' hidden MCAS feature

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:50 am

SRQKEF wrote:
Maybe CAT (clear air turbulence), uncomfortable but nothing dangerous per se. I'm sure the everyday passengers can't really tell the difference between a short nosedown dive or simply a drop in altitude, I'm pretty sure this was the latter.

Well the plane certainly did pitch its nose down, since a guy did almost slip out of his seat. I'd find that a bit hard to imagine if the nose was still pointed up or stabilized during the the altitude drop.

eamondzhang

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 am

It's called turbulence, as others said. Turbulence can be real bad and throw people and stuff straight onto the roof of the cabin, and hence why airlines always recommend you to fasten your seatbelts at all times. If you don't like it, then don't fly it.

Michael

SRQKEF

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:17 am

acavpics wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Well the plane certainly did pitch its nose down, since a guy did almost slip out of his seat. I'd find that a bit hard to imagine if the nose was still pointed up or stabilized during the the altitude drop.

There's this thing called gravity... ;)

But I have no idea about this particular incident, maybe the nose did dive due to some kind of force on the controlling surfaces. No way to tell without any data but hearsay.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

socko

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am

Similar Thing happened to me on a BA747-4 from DEN to LHR Over the pond, only about 7 to 10 seconds long.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:10 am

socko wrote:
Similar Thing happened to me on a BA747-4 from DEN to LHR Over the pond, only about 7 to 10 seconds long.

Was there a nose dive? Or was it just horizontal swinging? I've experienced side to side swaying (though not nearly as violent as What was described on QR537), but I've never experienced a sudden nose pitch downwards, even during relatively heavy turbulence.

socko

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:14 am

Nose up and down too.

dredgy

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:55 am

acavpics wrote:
socko wrote:

Was there a nose dive? Or was it just horizontal swinging? I've experienced side to side swaying (though not nearly as violent as What was described on QR537), but I've never experienced a sudden nose pitch downwards, even during relatively heavy turbulence.

This just sounds like turbulence.
The downward pitch is usually caused by when the turbulence knocks the plane up and it corrects itself, has happened to me a few times. People often think it’s a big drop in altitude (“the plane dropped a hundred feet”), when it’s usually just the plane going from nose up back to level flight.

Once it happened to me on an Air Koryo flight into Pyongyang, and was a similar experience to what you described - everyone was screaming and praying because it wasn’t exactly the most trustworthy airline.

3rdGen

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:40 am

Some Aircraft face moderate to severe turbulence throughout the world on a daily basis.

It was bad form by the crew to not reassure passengers. I find QR crew to be quite robotic. The vast majority don't seem to have more than 3-4 years experience and only do what the company tells them, they have little to no capacity to think on their feet.

Great service when everything is going well, but I tell you if things start to go pear shaped I would be praying for one of those sour FAs from a legacy a carrier with 20+ years of experience instead of the cute little thing on QR.

I think this incident says a lot about the company as a whole rather than this individual crew.

I recall a story of a QR flight hitting severe turbulence over the Atlantic a few years ago and needing to divert to the Azores. A number of passengers complained of how after landing and disembarking to the terminal the crew were wisked away and they were basically left abandoned in the terminal.

Like I said I don't fully blame the crew, QR seems to focus on training young and entirely inexperienced individuals to produce a great song and dance with regard to their service, but beyond what they're trained to do there doesn't seem to be much in the way of finess or genuine care. If the stories are true they're basically treated like slaves, to be overworked and replaced by othersn once they're worn out.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

zeke

Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:54 am

acavpics wrote:

They may have just done a descent to get into clear air.

Did your family members have the Qatar inflight app on their phone ? Crews always tweet what they are doing before and after they do anything so the passengers know everything that is going on before it happens. Qatar also have the optional CBTPS (crystal ball tubulance prediction system) installed on their Airbus fly by wire fleets, it allows them to paint turbulence that only passengers know that is there before they encounter it. Maybe the CBTPS module was MELed on that flight, or failed.
Last edited by zeke on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

flymco753

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:02 am

Was on a flight from ATL-DTW not long ago, a similar event occurred albeit a 757. The ride from SRQ-DTW on an A320 a few weeks ago by far was one of the scariest rides I've had, that includes that rocky mountain turbulence too. Thunderstorms were our cause.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Planetalk

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:08 am

Sounds like how any non-frequent flyer might describe nasty turbulence. I'm not judging by the way, I love planes, I love flying, but I still need a little valium when I know things will be rough. Hard to rationalise up there sometimes...

I remember a flight from Quito to Bogotá, near top of climb the plane started shuddering violently. And I mean violently. I've had the (dis) pleasure to fly a lot. (always in economy hence displeasure!) and I never felt anything like this. This was not air movement and but a rattling of the whole fuselage, and and cabin noise suddenly increased too. The passengers were all looking at each other and then I looked to crew for reassurance, and saw them looking rather uncomfortable (bad sign!). Then there the bong bong, a crew member went and got the phone with the while canon's eyes on her, and she broke out into a face of sheer relief, and walked down the cabin smiling. Shaking stopped. No announcent was made. I'll never know what it waals. At the time. (post AF447) I genuinely thought we might be entering stall buffet.

As for announcements, I've found that highly variable and completely unrelated to the perceived quality of the airline. The best I've ever had was recently on the volaris flight in México when we had a go around after touching down, and absolutely superb PA a few minutes later. I've been on plenty of legacy airlines where communication was far less. I think some pilots are just more atuned to the fact the average flyer is quite easily spooked than other pilots.

Also in mexico, a vivaaerobus pilot once made an almost poetic preflight announcement about what we were about to do, the things we would aee, our fortune, etc etc. The smartest bit was amongst it all he slipped in something about the beauty of clouds and then being a little bumpy sometimes, but he made turbulence sound beaitiful. (he put itt better than that). The Genius. He gave it in Spanish and English. It earned a round of applause and I think a lot of people felt calmer at takeoff than usual.

Planetalk

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 am

zeke wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Did your family members have the Qatar inflight app on their phone ? Crews always tweet what they are doing before and after they do anything so the passengers know everything that is going on before it happens. Qatar also have the optional CBTPS (crystal ball tubulance prediction system) installed on their Airbus fly by wire fleets, it allows them to paint turbulence that only passengers know that is there before they encounter it. Maybe the CBTPS module was MELed on that flight, or failed.

I never heard of that system before, could you tell us more Zeke? Sounds fantastic, how does it work? Cheers.

Planetalk

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:23 am

flymco753 wrote:
Was on a flight from ATL-DTW not long ago, a similar event occurred albeit a 757. The ride from SRQ-DTW on an A320 a few weeks ago by far was one of the scariest rides I've had, that includes that rocky mountain turbulence too. Thunderstorms were our cause.

Ahh mountains, from the stories I've heard about the Mendoza-Santiago route (which passes over the highest point of the andes and starts right at the base of each, and and is a very short flight so crosses relatively low) I always took the bus for that one. Beautiful ride too.

zeke

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 am

Planetalk wrote:
I never heard of that system before, could you tell us more Zeke? Sounds fantastic, how does it work? Cheers.

The optional CBTPS (crystal ball tubulance prediction system) is an amazing system that is able to defy the laws of physics and see clear air turbulence, wake turbulence, and mountain waves that no other system has ever been able to detect. The system is powered by a 72-qubit gate-based superconducting system that fits in a standard avionics rack, the quantum processor is far more useful in detecting turbulence as it has three states not the usual two that normal computers have. When not in flight the same system is able to accurately predict ATC delays and weather for the pilots, and even the winning lotto numbers to the inflight entrainment system.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Planetalk

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:55 am

zeke wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

The optional CBTPS (crystal ball tubulance prediction system) is an amazing system that is able to defy the laws of physics and see clear air turbulence, wake turbulence, and mountain waves that no other system has ever been able to detect. The system is powered by a 72-qubit gate-based superconducting system that fits in a standard avionics rack, the quantum processor is far more useful in detecting turbulence as it has three states not the usual two that normal computers have. When not in flight the same system is able to accurately predict ATC delays and weather for the pilots, and even the winning lotto numbers to the inflight entrainment system.

Oh god, I'm English and I didn't get the sarcasm the first time. Shame! I can only say its Friday and I'd had a couple of beers.

spacecadet

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 am

The fact that the pilots didn't make an announcement means that there was nothing abnormal that might have affected the safety of flight. I wouldn't worry about it. Turbulence can seem crazy bad when you're in it as a passenger, but the pilots probably had a little chuckle about it and that's it.

There are a lot of different causes for turbulence. This encounter sounds like it probably had a vertical component, which is why the nosedown action was felt. That's not unusual at all. Air moves side to side but it also rises and falls, sometimes pretty quickly. This was probably a shear area between two air masses, with one rising against the other. That would account for the relatively short duration, the lift and then nosedown correction.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

reltney

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am

zeke wrote:
Planetalk wrote:

Is there an app for that?

Perfect!
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

FlapsOne

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:24 am

Wake encounter? Even in the cruise it can happen. If it was prolonged it could be an aircraft directly ahead at the same level or just above. If there’s no crosswind to speak of, the wake will stay exactly where it is and no move aside. I’ve had it once or twice. QF had it with their A380 a while back where the one ahead was causing issues for the one behind. If the aircraft causing it is perpendicular then you’ll get a sudden jolt. If it’s prolonged, it’s likely that you’re following behind.

The worst I had it was following company traffic into FNC. In the cruise it was choppy, then very choppy. We worked out that the traffic at our level and ahead may have been the cause as the wind was a direct headwind and quite light. We climbed above the company traffic and it was smooth.

TC957

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 am

I'd suggest this was wake turbulence, plenty of A380's flying in that part of the world. However, very bad of the flight crew not to make any announcement afterwards.

paullam

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:44 am

I flew in that area as well last week on an A340. It was a rather smooth flight until out of a sudden over the Arabian sea the plane moved upwards and right downwards again. The downward move lsted for about 5-10 seconds. That might've been what your mum experienced as well.
712 733 734 735 737 738 739 744 752 763 77E 77L 77W 788 789 | A20N 318 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 388 | ASK21 | AT75 AT76 | BCS3 | C152 C172 C182 C210 | CR2 CR7 | DH8C DH8D | E190 | F70 F100 | LJ24 | PA31 | RJ85 RJ1H | SF34 | SU9 | YK2

Haza22

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:50 am

acavpics wrote:
Last Tuesday (April 3rd, 2019), two of my family members were traveling on Qatar airways flight QR537 from Kozhikode, India (CCJ) to DOH, which was operated by an A320 (A7-AHJ) According to my mother, about half way through the 4 hour flight, somewhere over the Arabian sea, the plane started swinging from side to side. And the swinging was a lot more intense than your everyday turbulence. Then, the a/c pitched downwards for a few seconds. My mother said that this whole thing(swinging + down pitch) lasted for about 15 sec. The passengers were in absolute PANIC; screaming, crying, praying, you name it. In fact, my mother even saw one passenger at the front (big big guy) almost slip out of his seat.

I fly over the pond a lots and sometimes depending what track we are on we hit wake. This can also happen anywhere around the world and can be violent and totally unexpected. It can cause what you described, iv also flown into Gib quite a few times and that’s a unquie place and doubt the two are connected, hope your mum recovered from her shock!

Redd

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out exactly what caused the issue in the YouTube video?

It lasted an awfully long time.

Pretty good explanation by an Airline Capt.... Looks like they made an announcement before the video started to roll that there will be turbulence and there is a good chance for a go-around or a chance they might not land at all. The type of turbulence caused by Gibraltar Rock called rotor turbulence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkOgZPjZX4

Avgeek21

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 am

I've fly that stretch many many times. And it's busy! Lots of planes on tracks seperated by the normal 1000 ft RVSM seperation going both ways. Depending on the size of the other aircraft and the upper winds the wake of another passing aircraft could have descended onto their level. That will throw you about. Thats why I always make the same welcome PA stating to always keep your seatbelts fasten whilst seated, irrespective of the seatbelts sign. Just like we do upfront. After the encounter I would call my crew over the interphone first followed by a PA. And yes, the crew should have made a PA after it to reassure their passengers.

migair54

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 am

Avgeek21 wrote:
I've fly that stretch many many times. And it's busy! Lots of planes on tracks seperated by the normal 1000 ft RVSM seperation going both ways. Depending on the size of the other aircraft and the upper winds the wake of another passing aircraft could have descended onto their level. That will throw you about. Thats why I always make the same welcome PA stating to always keep your seatbelts fasten whilst seated, irrespective of the seatbelts sign. Just like we do upfront. After the encounter I would call my crew over the interphone first followed by a PA. And yes, the crew should have made a PA after it to reassure their passengers.

Agree with all, and depending on the direction or the wind I think it's always a good a idea to consider SLOP, 1 or 2NM to the right can avoid wake turbulence, the arabian sea area is very busy area for heavies and supers, so it could be wake turbulence from a plane passing 1000 feet above.

acavpics wrote:

I always think that captains have to share some information with passengers and also with all the crew, many people relax after the captain says what happened they can feel all is under control, same with turbulence, go around, deicing/anti-icing, delays.

rbavfan

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:33 am

acavpics wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Hit clear air turbulence all the time on the old STL-PHX TWA service prob 20 times over the years on the route. The plane would drop down, sway back and forth sometimes for several minutes. It felt like the nose pitched down, but it was just pockets of clear air (no air for lift). This happens. It has nothing to do with what happened on the 737max flights. Quit trying to scare people over nothing. BTW the BA flight was a go around.

tomcoppins

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 am

The Youtube video was turbulance caused by the rock of Gibralter which is famous for severe turbulence in certain conditions. I was on a Thompson flight from PMI to LGW about 8 years ago and over central France we hit a jetstream. The aircraft swayed quite violently and dropped about 500-1000 feet in altitude. An Air France flight (I think) in the area made an emergency landing into CDG as passesgers were lifted out of their seats and hit their heads on the overhead lockers. Something similar in this case maybe? Would explain the violent movement of the aircraft.

tomcoppins

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:44 am

The Youtube video was turbulance caused by the rock of Gibralter which is famous for severe turbulence in certain conditions. I was on a Thompson flight from PMI to LGW about 8 years ago and over central France we hit a jetstream. The aircraft swayed quite violently and dropped about 500-1000 feet in altitude. An Air France flight (I think) in the area made an emergency landing into CDG as passesgers were lifted out of their seats and hit their heads on the overhead lockers. Something similar in this case maybe? Would explain the violent movement of the aircraft.

cc2314

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 am

zeke wrote:
acavpics wrote:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.. Would have expected proper input from you.

Once upon a time i flew from Lis to cpt, not once did the pilots make any type of announcement, little me had to come up with excuses,
Deleted

zeke

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:05 pm

T
reltney wrote:

Perfect!

Yeah it’s the same app that passengers use to know it’s ok to walk around in the cabin and use the washrooms when the seatbelt sign is on.

WPvsMW

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 pm

and stand up in taxi to retrieve luggage from the overhead bin, then try to walk to the boarding door to deplane. The apps from MU, CZ, and CA seem to be the most popular.

26point2

Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm

cc2314 wrote:
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.. Would have expected proper input from you.

It’s actually....
“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but the highest form of intelligence.”
― Oscar Wilde

......or was that more sarcasm?

mutu

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:08 pm

Sounds like wake turbulence. Had similar of a 747 LHR to YYZ.
My teapot and cup hit the cabin ceiling as we nosedived then the wardrobe doors flew open and all the loose contents spewed out as we reclimbed. All over in a very violent 10 seconds.
Without belittling the anxiety of less frequent flyers it was one of those great experiences that reminds one just how fast and heavy that 744 was.

cledaybuck

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

zeke wrote:
T
reltney wrote:

Perfect!

Yeah it’s the same app that passengers use to know it’s ok to walk around in the cabin and use the washrooms when the seatbelt sign is on.

Is that the same app that tells some pilots to never turn the seatbelt sign off?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:28 pm

3rdGen wrote:
Like I said I don't fully blame the crew, QR seems to focus on training young and entirely inexperienced individuals to produce a great song and dance with regard to their service, but beyond what they're trained to do there doesn't seem to be much in the way of finess or genuine care. If the stories are true they're basically treated like slaves, to be overworked and replaced by othersn once they're worn out.

From the few articles I've read, it seems heard that working conditions at QTR have gotten somewhat better recently. I'm sure they wouldn't have improved had it not been for all the public outcry we heard a few years ago. I believe that EK was facing a similar situation, where FA's faced lower standard working conditions (Housing, meals etc) than what they were promised and were fatigued by the intense hours. But even then, I saw a recent news article that they were pretty successful in their quest to a better work environment

jmchevallier

Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Clearly wake turbulence !
By the way, it predated A380 by years as I remember such occurence on a Panam A300 between ORD and JFK in 1990 !

Kilopond

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:35 pm

zeke wrote:
[...]The optional CBTPS (crystal ball tubulance prediction system) is [...] is powered by a 72-qubit gate-based superconducting system that fits in a standard avionics rack, the quantum processor is far more useful in detecting turbulence as it has three states not the usual two that normal computers have. [...]

:laughing: In other words, it`s a caged copy of Schroedinger`s cat. :bigthumbsup:

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Sounds like everything should grind to a halt until we can get to the bottom of this tragic event experienced by someone who said something to someone else that wasn’t even there and then took it to the masses. Come on man. It’s flying. Bumps and chop happen. I already can’t wait for the next one of these to pop up.

spacecadet

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Definitely turbulence, but wake turbulence typically has a different feel than what was described here. It's more like hitting a brick wall, and is usually over in under 5 seconds. It also doesn't have a vertical component.

I'm going with plain old shear and CAT.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

Karlsands

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Wake turbulence from a larger aircraft cruising above so ? Possible

kimimm19

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:55 pm

The descent portion of this sounds like getting out of the pocket and down to a cleaner alttitude. I've experienced this a few times on recent flights. If the turbulence was severe then a reasonably rapid descent for a few seconds sounds logical.

EricAY05

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:07 pm

I remember a similar occurrence on an AY flight a few years ago. I was half asleep, the type of one often is during daytime naps, and I woke up to a sudden reduction of thrust and immediately realized that there must be turbulence coming. I might have made the conclusion the wrong way, but it was the right conclusion. I tightened my seat belt quickly and the roller-coaster ride started. After the ac had rapidly descended to a lower flight level, the shaking stopped as quickly as it had begun. Soon after that the first officer explained what had happened very thoroughly. Something about crossing a strong jet stream. Well done AY for explaining and poorly done QR for not taking the time to tell the passengers what had happened.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos