akb88

Re: Scary situation on Qatar Airways A320 this week.

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 pm

A bit of a nervous flier.....Is this something I should worry about with my upcoming CPH - ATH flight on the A320?!

capshandler

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 pm

acavpics wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Was it something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjv3xBB-HmY

Go to 5:56

Well, the swinging in the video seemed pretty similar to what my mom was describing. But the part I'm really concerned about was the downward nose pitch on QR573, which I didn't see in the video. Also, A7-AHJ encountered this incident at cruising alt (About 35-36,000ft according to FR24), not during the final descent like in the video.

It happened to me twice flying with IB’s 319 & 320. If you’re in cruise phase probably they were flying near the coffin corner and for safety they pitched down. It was condirmed by 2 captains friends of mine, when they find themselves upthere crossing for example some intense jetstream from a specific angle and pitch (they told me depending on the angle you enter into it you may find some real choppy air!) the idea is to slow down and if things get crappy to descent with a hand on the airbrakes.

No worries I don’t see any safety issue here but keep asking anything that make you feel unconfortable. There are some know it alls that may be rude but that’s not the general mood of our community ;)

VSMUT

Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Mountain wave ... wait... no mountains.

There are plenty of mountains between Doha and India. Iran is covered in them, big ones in Oman too. Then you have the really big ones up in Pakistan and north India. Remember, mountain waves can extebd many hundreds of kilometers away from the mountains.

But those are just smooth, low-amplitude waves, nothing like the sort described here. Big rotors are found somewhere like Geneva, right down in the lee of a mountain.

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:18 pm

kimimm19 wrote:
The descent portion of this sounds like getting out of the pocket and down to a cleaner alttitude. I've experienced this a few times on recent flights. If the turbulence was severe then a reasonably rapid descent for a few seconds sounds logical.

Sounds about right. She did say that the swaying was way more violent than the typical side to side shaking that we almost always encounter. - So my guess is that the pilots wanted to get out of that quickly.

The first thing that popped into my mind after hearing about this was the possibility of it being a QZ8501 like situation.From what I've read, flight 8501 also started making violent maneuvers before crashing - And the circumstances of that AirAsia flight were very similar to that of QR537; An A320 flying over the sea at night in presumably poor weather.

tb727

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Could have been wake. I was flying a 320 last week about 18 in trail of an ANA 773 climbing in the upper 20's and we got whacked pretty good for a few seconds. Felt like going down a dirt road on a skateboard at 100 mph. Dialed the speed back and opened up the climb and turned 20 degrees and we got out of it.

The pitching does sound like some wave action though.

While not required, I let the passengers know what had happened over the PA with the wake. Thankfully we had the seatbelt sign on and no one was up when it happened. I also let them know about wave when crossing the Rockies when we know it is coming. Some pilots might not see that it's necessary.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

akb88

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:43 pm

tb727 wrote:
Could have been wake. I was flying a 320 last week about 18 in trail of an ANA 773 climbing in the upper 20's and we got whacked pretty good for a few seconds. Felt like going down a dirt road on a skateboard at 100 mph. Dialed the speed back and opened up the climb and turned 20 degrees and we got out of it.

While not required, I let the passengers know what had happened over the PA with the wake. Thankfully we had the seatbelt sign on and no one was up when it happened. I also let them know about wave when crossing the Rockies when we know it is coming. Some pilots might not see that it's necessary.

I wish more pilots were like you then. As a nervous flier I really appreciate it when pilots let us know things are under control. How often do scary things like these happen?
I'm flying the A320 soon and the 757 with my most flown airline, Icelandair, and with all the bad news from aviation lately I'm getting more and more nervous. Any tips from a pilot to alleviate the nerves, planes haven't suddenly become dangerous all of a sudden right? Regardless of manufacturerr

acavpics
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 pm

akb88 wrote:
tb727 wrote:

I wish more pilots were like you then. As a nervous flier I really appreciate it when pilots let us know things are under control. How often do scary things like these happen?
I'm flying the A320 soon and the 757 with my most flown airline, Icelandair, and with all the bad news from aviation lately I'm getting more and more nervous. Any tips from a pilot to alleviate the nerves, planes haven't suddenly become dangerous all of a sudden right? Regardless of manufacturerr

You should be fine. Iceland Air has a good safety record. The best piece of advice I can give you clutch the corner of a seat a seat or press your hands against the over head compartments when walking through the cabin so that you don't fall and injure yourself in the event of unexpected turbulence. - During the QR537 incident, everybody happened to be seated. However, had there been people wandering about and not grabbing anything,then there would have been some injures for sure. When your in the lav, just keep a hand on the side wall or the basin (depending on what your doing :lol: ) to keep you stable.

And now, the most important rule of all, yes you've hear this before....
Always keep your seatbelt fastened while seated, even if the seatbelt sign is off. :smile:

afgeneral

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Well first the fact that it was an A320 likely has little to do with it.

Secondly, no matter how much your family member have been complaining about awful turbulence in the past, they might have actually witnessed an incident of "real" MEDIUM turbulence for a few seconds.

CPHBob

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Turbulence effects hundred of flights all over the world, each and every Day. And in that light, if fnd the text more appropiate for a short but thrilling read(at least, the headline is thrilling) in the trip report section.

tb727

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:30 am

akb88 wrote:
tb727 wrote:

Thanks, I do it when stuff out of the ordinary happens because I know there are nervous fliers back there. I take what I do seriously and I love my job.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Q

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:02 am

b747400erf

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:59 am

Avoiding Pakistani airspace there are more condensed flights around less airways and flying different routes than normal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos