HBJZA
Topic Author

easyJet Europe new callsign

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm

easyjet Europe has just started to use its new callsign for all aircraft registered in Austria OE.
They now have ´easy’ for UK registered aircraft, ´topswiss’ for swiss registered and the new addition ´alpine ´ for Austria.

lightsaber

Re: easyJet Europe new callsign

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:43 pm

I like Alpine.
Actually, I really like that call sign.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

skipness1E

Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Hang on, how does that work with stored flight plans? No more swapping OE and G on the same flight day after day? Fixed routes for each AOC now?

FR24 would suggest “yes” to my own question :)

Aisak

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:01 pm

And their new IATA code is EC. Funny enough.

EC was previously used by British Airways’ French subsidiary openskies. Now the company has rebranded into LEVEL France, EC was changed to LV

AtomicGarden

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:59 am

Aisak wrote:

EC was previously used by British Airways’ French subsidiary openskies. Now the company has rebranded into LEVEL France, EC was changed to LV

Didn't know that. It must have been nice for the crews, going from premium full service airline to a low cost, with the blandest branding ever. At least they kept their jobs (with decreased wages, probably?).

Are there many more examples of IATA codes switching to better the airline brand/name? like if Ryanair got to be RY (unused AFAIK) instead of FR.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

RyanairGuru

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:54 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Are there many more examples of IATA codes switching to better the airline brand/name? like if Ryanair got to be RY (unused AFAIK) instead of FR.

Virgin Australia switched to VA at the time they rebranded from Virgin Blue, who had previously used DJ.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

zkojq

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:43 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Aisak wrote:

Didn't know that. It must have been nice for the crews, going from premium full service airline to a low cost, with the blandest branding ever. At least they kept their jobs (with decreased wages, probably?).

Who says wage decreases? I'm sure the crew will be absolutely heartbroken to at the loss of their mangy, 25 year old 757s and distraught that they have been replaced with brand new, state-of-the-art widebodies.
First to fly the 787-9

FlapsOne

Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:58 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Aisak wrote:

easyJet has one of the worst paint jobs the world has ever seen yet its pilots enjoy very good terms and conditions. The moral of the story being paint jobs and terms and conditions are wholly irrelevant.

And up at the pointy end its always full service even if passengers are paying for their food or receiving 'free' foods so I doubt they care. I'd rather be part of a brand that's being heavily invested in throughout Europe as opposed to an oddball one off brand focused on just one city pair. Anyways, they say 'blue and green should never be seen' but LEVEL'S branding works. I like it.

ELBOB

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:25 am

Yes that is a nice RT callsign.

Their ICAO code is EJU, they started introducing it on selected flightplans on 30 March.

Aisak wrote:

Which is pretty much irrelevant since like the other two Easyjet companies they don't use the IATA codes on tickets or flightboards. When I am issued my ticket to Barcelona it clearly says EJU6671.

Bhoy

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Hang on, how does that work with stored flight plans? No more swapping OE and G on the same flight day after day? Fixed routes for each AOC now?

FR24 would suggest “yes” to my own question :)

If you book on easyJet.com, it now states (as of the original Brexit weekend at the end of March) during booking (albeit in the small print at the bottom of the page) if the flight is EZY, EZS or EJU operated.

Aisak

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:55 pm

ELBOB wrote:
Aisak wrote:

Which is pretty much irrelevant since like the other two Easyjet companies they don't use the IATA codes on tickets or flightboards. When I am issued my ticket to Barcelona it clearly says EJU6671.

Until now I’ve seen the code U2, shared between Easyjet Ltd and Easyjet Switzerland, quite a lot of times....

Maybe they now prefer to use the 3 letter code, which is unique for each airline (EZY, EZS and EJU) so they don’t have trouble stating under which rights they are flying. Previously they just didn’t care.

N766UA

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:11 pm

How was Alpine not already taken? Great callsign.

workhorse

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 am

FlapsOne wrote:
easyJet has one of the worst paint jobs the world has ever seen

Do they? I think you are being unfair to Lufthansa, Air France, United, Japan Airlines, China Eastern and dozens of other airlines who have honestly fought for that title. :biggrin:

stylo777

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:23 am

Alpine is really great indeed; however, doesn't "topswiss" sound similar to "swiss" and might lead to confusion?

FlapsOne

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:05 am

stylo777 wrote:
Alpine is really great indeed; however, doesn't "topswiss" sound similar to "swiss" and might lead to confusion?

True. I believe they inherited the callsign. I wonder why they don’t change it. TUI, bmi (peace be upon them) and Thomas Cook all changed their call signs over the last few years. I imagine it would be just a paperwork exercise.

FlapsOne

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:14 am

workhorse wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

Do they? I think you are being unfair to Lufthansa, Air France, United, Japan Airlines, China Eastern and dozens of other airlines who have honestly fought for that title. :biggrin:

You see it’s funny isn’t it how we all see different things when we look at a paint job? I really like JAL and get the feeling of simplicity, efficiency, precision, order and a conservative, humble approach which seem to reflect Japan quite well. It’s not exciting, but it works. United has a confused identity trying to keep two worker groups happy who after a decade still see themselves as two people operating under one umbrella brand. Time it was replaced by something totally new.

I also see paint jobs that just could have been great but sadly didn’t make it. Azerbaijan could look amazing, except they decided to write ‘Azerbaijan’ in what looks like a Word 95 typeface.

Joelatbsl

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

True. I believe they inherited the callsign. I wonder why they don’t change it. TUI, bmi (peace be upon them) and Thomas Cook all changed their call signs over the last few years. I imagine it would be just a paperwork exercise.

The "Topswiss" callsign came from the old TEA Switzerland, the source of easyJet Switzerland's first few aircraft, B737-300s back in the day. No confusion worries in Basel (no Swiss flights here) and Zurich (no easyJet Switzerland flights there) and in Geneva they somehow manage the situation ...

JOEL

workhorse

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
workhorse wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

You see it’s funny isn’t it how we all see different things when we look at a paint job? I really like JAL and get the feeling of simplicity, efficiency, precision, order and a conservative, humble approach which seem to reflect Japan quite well. It’s not exciting, but it works. United has a confused identity trying to keep two worker groups happy who after a decade still see themselves as two people operating under one umbrella brand. Time it was replaced by something totally new.

I also see paint jobs that just could have been great but sadly didn’t make it. Azerbaijan could look amazing, except they decided to write ‘Azerbaijan’ in what looks like a Word 95 typeface.

OK, so I see we agree on LH, AF and MU. :devil:

stylo777

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Joelatbsl wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

The "Topswiss" callsign came from the old TEA Switzerland, the source of easyJet Switzerland's first few aircraft, B737-300s back in the day. No confusion worries in Basel (no Swiss flights here) and Zurich (no easyJet Switzerland flights there) and in Geneva they somehow manage the situation ...

JOEL

Well, the concentration of both airlines at mentioned airports is surely correct, but those aircraft/airline fly pretty much in the same airspace (EU).
On the other hand, whom am I to tell. I'm sure they crosschecked with the authorities beforehand ;)

Nicoeddf

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:00 pm

HBJZA wrote:
easyjet Europe has just started to use its new callsign for all aircraft registered in Austria OE.
They now have ´easy’ for UK registered aircraft, ´topswiss’ for swiss registered and the new addition ´alpine ´ for Austria.

"Topswiss", hahaha...I always understood "Topsis" on the radio and wondered about the sense in that.
Enslave yourself to the divine disguised as salvation
that your bought with your sacrifice
Deception justified for your holy design
High on our platform spewing out your crimes
from the altar of god

AtomicGarden

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:13 am

zkojq wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
Aisak wrote:

Who says wage decreases? I'm sure the crew will be absolutely heartbroken to at the loss of their mangy, 25 year old 757s and distraught that they have been replaced with brand new, state-of-the-art widebodies.

I did say probably. Glad nobody took a bite at their paychecks.

b747400erf

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:33 am

N766UA wrote:
How was Alpine not already taken? Great callsign.

Alpine Air is used in America

Joelatbsl

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:40 am

stylo777 wrote:
Joelatbsl wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:

JOEL

Well, the concentration of both airlines at mentioned airports is surely correct, but those aircraft/airline fly pretty much in the same airspace (EU).
On the other hand, whom am I to tell. I'm sure they crosschecked with the authorities beforehand ;)

Topswiss is the older callsign of the two, originating in the 1990s at least, if not earlier. GVA as well as the lower ACC levels around GVA and ZRH may be the only areas where there is a high concentration of both, Swiss and Topswiss at the same time. And then for visual identification on the ground, one could still refer to an "easyJet" A319 or A320 in Geneva at any time.

vhtje

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:02 am

FlapsOne wrote:
Anyways, they say 'blue and green should never be seen' but LEVEL'S branding works. I like it.

Please..... LEVEL’s livery is what you get when you rely on someone using Microsoft Paint(TM) 1994 edition to design your livery.

You can literally see how much IAG saved on design overheads.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

FlapsOne

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 am

vhtje wrote:
FlapsOne wrote:
Anyways, they say 'blue and green should never be seen' but LEVEL'S branding works. I like it.

Please..... LEVEL’s livery is what you get when you rely on someone using Microsoft Paint(TM) 1994 edition to design your livery.

You can literally see how much IAG saved on design overheads.

I know. I’m odd, but I really like it. Not just the paint job, but the branding as a whole. Website has way too much black on it and is a bit much, but I just think as a brand it works. It’s simple, clean, low cost. Even the safety video is low budget but they carry it off. There’s no dancing or rapping/hip hop (I’m looking at you ANZ) it’s just simple, clean and a bit of fun.

Noel, if you want to see what a paint job made in Paint 94 looks like , have a search for Air Scandic!

HBJZA
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm

FlapsOne wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Well actually easyJet Switzerland TOPSWISS existed before Swiss International. It was Swissair back then so the 2 call signs were quite different. Topswiss vs swissair.

CarbonFibre

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm

There used to be a 146 operator called Alpine.

ScottB

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:53 pm

AtomicGarden wrote:

One of the more famous examples was USAir switching from AL (for predecessor Allegheny) to US.

AtomicGarden

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:13 am

ScottB wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

One of the more famous examples was USAir switching from AL (for predecessor Allegheny) to US.

Well that was a neat change!

RyanairGuru wrote:
Virgin Australia switched to VA at the time they rebranded from Virgin Blue, who had previously used DJ.

That's a cool and adequate change too. Wonder why this doesn't happen more often...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos