dc10lover
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Using The A320 Between Paine Field (Everett, Washington) & San Francisco?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:44 pm

Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Re: Alaska Airlines Using The A320 Between Paine Field (Everett, Washington) & San Francisco?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:47 pm

I HOPE it's TRUE. High demand requires Airbus & Boeing Aircraft.
Last edited by dc10lover on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

717atOGG

Re: Alaska Airlines Using The A320 Between Paine Field (Everett, Washington) & San Francisco?

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:48 pm

I believe this is a maintenance ferry flight, since AS gets some maintenance work done in PAE IIRC, and the flight number is in the 9000's, which isn't usually used for passenger flights.
Long live the Boeing 757!

ikolkyo

Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:53 pm

Maintenance

wedgetail737

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Mainline to PAE will happen eventually.

F27500

Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 pm

And .. tell me again .. why does Seattle need to be served by2 separate airports?

BoeingGuy

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 pm

F27500 wrote:
And .. tell me again .. why does Seattle need to be served by2 separate airports?

Because there are something like 2 million people closer to PAE and it can also be a 90+ minute drive in bad traffic from the north to SEA.

AA737-823

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:58 pm

F27500 wrote:

For the same reasons that Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Fran, LAX, New York, Miami, and eleventy-hundred other large cities in the world do.

F27500

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:16 am

AA737-823 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

For the same reasons that Chicago, Houston, Dallas, San Fran, LAX, New York, Miami, and eleventy-hundred other large cities in the world do.

Seattle is not NYC or LA or Chicago

Spetsnaz55

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:19 am

I live in Everett. Seatac can be a 2 hour drive for me in rush hour traffic. Not thanks. Paine field is also 25 miles from down town seattle.. it's not a block over. This airport is gonna serve the north end of wa state and there really is a lot of people here

eal

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 am

F27500 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

You're right it's none of those cities, it's more comparable to SFO/OAK, DAL/DFW, MIA/FLL, HOU/IAH

I'm pretty sure Alaska Airlines knows more about the operability of PAE then you do.

usxguy

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:17 am

F27500 wrote:

Its taken me over an HOUR to get from the car rental center to the terminal.....

go check out google maps @ that distance, then ask yourself.....

and to add in, the non-Clear/Non-PreCheck lanes at SeaTac routinely are 30+ minute waits.
xx

DocLightning

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:38 am

717atOGG wrote:
I believe this is a maintenance ferry flight, since AS gets some maintenance work done in PAE IIRC, and the flight number is in the 9000's, which isn't usually used for passenger flights.

Airbii can get service at PAE? I assume it's not Boeing offering the service.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

gunsontheroof

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 am

F27500 wrote:

You've clearly never driven from Snohomish County to Sea-Tac within the last thirty years. PAE service was long-overdue.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

MO11

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:09 am

eal wrote:
F27500 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

You're right it's none of those cities, it's more comparable to SFO/OAK, DAL/DFW, MIA/FLL, HOU/IAH

I'm pretty sure Alaska Airlines knows more about the operability of PAE then you do.

Eh, it 's more comparable to SAN/CLD.

jetmechanicdave

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:19 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
F27500 wrote:

You've clearly never driven from Snohomish County to Sea-Tac within the last thirty years. PAE service was long-overdue.

I live 1 mile from PAE and you are correct. Way long overdue.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

jetmechanicdave

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:29 am

Yes it was a maintenance flight.
Aircraft Mechanic and Airliners.net Forum Moderator

gunsontheroof

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 am

DocLightning wrote:
717atOGG wrote:

Airbii can get service at PAE? I assume it's not Boeing offering the service.

They can and do! ATS would almost certainly be the outfit concerned--I think that HA still has all their A321s delivered to PAE for interior work prior to service.

jetmechanicdave wrote:
gunsontheroof wrote:
F27500 wrote:

I live 1 mile from PAE and you are correct. Way long overdue.

I live almost exactly halfway between PAE and SEA. If flow is northbound, I can catch SEA departures and PAE arrivals from my apartment deck, which can make for some interesting spotting on a good day. Taking my first flight out of PAE in just under a month (AS, PAE-SJC), looking forward to seeing the new terminal and adding another airport to my log.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Jet-lagged

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:01 am

F27500 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:
F27500 wrote:

That’s right. Seattle is growing like gangbusters. Those cities on the other hand....

In any case Paine Field is just a couple of gates, it’s almost silly to call it an airport in the same manner or SeaTac. It’s like a mini airport.

airplanenut

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:29 am

F27500 wrote:

I live 15 minutes north of SeaTac and work down the street from Paine. My commute can take anywhere from 35 minutes (once--an amazing record) to well over 2 hours, and during rush hour, the last bit of the drive from where I'd get off the highway to SeaTac can be 30-60 minutes on a bad day. Now consider the folks who live north of Paine. Right now there are no good transit options that bypass the highways, so service at an airport north of the city is hugely beneficial really for everyone that lives anywhere from a few miles north of downtown until you get north enough that Bellingham might be a viable option (if they serve a city useful to you).
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

EA CO AS

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:48 am

F27500 wrote:

So, I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess you’ve gotten your answer, right? :rotfl:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

hmmwv

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:07 am

Airbus getting work done at PAE, that's an interesting sight.

caflyboy

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:39 am

FYI the next largest city (MSA) in the US is PHX which is served by two airports. Both Tampa and Orlando MSAs are smaller than SEA and served by two airports. Just look at the population data. I think that will answer why.

LAXBUR

Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Interesting how this went from an obvious non-scheduled flight to arguing about the viability of SEA having two airports. Amazing. Always something to argue on here.

iamlucky13

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 pm

F27500 wrote:

It doesn't "need" to be served by 2 airports. But there is a strong case to make that enough demand is there to support a secondary airport in the region. SEA traffic will almost certainly grow this year by more than what PAE takes away, which will only be 2-3% of SEA's passenger volume. The sometimes long drive to SEA and time it takes to get from parking to your gate are strong incentives to give PAE a try.

And by and large, it is not Seattle itself that is served by Paine Field, but the areas north of Seattle.

LAXBUR wrote:
Interesting how this went from an obvious non-scheduled flight to arguing about the viability of SEA having two airports. Amazing. Always something to argue on here.

True, but I think a lot of us on this thread were already aware that Aviation Technical Services does maintenance on some Airbus aircraft at PAE, so the question about why there would be two airports in the region was a more interesting point of discussion.

7673mech

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm

hmmwv wrote:
Airbus getting work done at PAE, that's an interesting sight.

Not really. There is a repair station there. Hawaiian Airlines flies the Airbus from Europe straight there for post delivery mods.

dc10lover
Topic Author

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:23 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:

It HAS to eventually but isn't the airport terminal / boarding area too small to have mainline aircraft? (Can't fit all the passengers in the boarding area)

Brandon757

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 pm

dc10lover wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

It HAS to eventually but isn't the airport terminal / boarding area too small to have mainline aircraft? (Can't fit all the passengers in the boarding area)

WN initially had plans to fly out of PAE, so I assume it can.

formeraa

Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:16 pm

Brandon757 wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

WN initially had plans to fly out of PAE, so I assume it can.

PAE has very limited slots right now. I don't recall any restrictions on aircraft type.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos