GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Pan Am flight logs in 1977

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:14 pm

This is a long shot but I'll ask. In 1977, I took my first flight and it was on a Pan Am 747 (not sure if it was a 741 or 742). I can probably find the date I took it with a little deeper research at my grandma's house but I was wondering where I could search through Pan Am flights during the 1977 year? I know it was from FRA-JFK and right now it is the only info I have. I'm basically trying to find the tail number of the aircraft I flew on. Like I said I know it's an incredibly long shot but I figured you guys are the ones to ask.

Thank you!
Jason
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

InnsbruckFlyer

Re: Pan Am flight logs in 1977

Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Don’t know if this is what you’re looking for, but here’s a list list of Pan Am routes from 1977/78:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... am-routes/

Last flown aircraft: DH8D OE-LGO < A320 HA-LWC < A320 HA-LWV < A320 SX-DVT < A320 SX-DVK < B733 LZ-BVU < E190 LZ-SOF < A320 D-AIUQ < DH8D OE-LGJ < A321 D-AIRN < A319 LZ-FBB < DH8D OE-LGO < B772 OE-LPC < A346 D-AIHX

GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 am

Thank you, InnsbruckFlyer. Actually, I was trying to locate a site that might have documentation on tail numbers and flight numbers.

GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 am

Thank you, InnsbruckFlyer. Actually, I was trying to locate a site that might have documentation on tail numbers and flight numbers.

Cody

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:13 am

Boy that is a long shot and with current technology I doubt you will be able to get a registration number

Your very best option would be in joining some sort of Pan Am employee facebook-style page and asking them, "hey, did anyone fly between these two cities on such-and-such a date?" Perhaps someone has it in their personal logbook

Again not likely but stranger things have happened.

TW870

Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:27 am

GulfstreamGuy wrote:

I hear what you're asking, but the question is whether the information exists. PA flew two flights a day between FRA and JFK in 1977. Somewhere it is written down which 747s flew on which days. The question is if anyone kept those records. If they exist, they aren't just floating around the internet. They are most likely in the Pan Am paper archives in Miami. I don't know if Pan Am - or any airline for that matter - kept the paper manifest and general declaration for customs for every flight it flew. You and your passport number were certainly on the general declaration for one Pan Am flight in 1977. The question is whether that document is lost for history. And due to cost of digitization, they are most certainly not online.

BN747

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:01 am

If you can find an archived ACARS database, that's solid gold at pinning down exact flight details (Cxr Flt Equip, Reg) by date.

Good luck

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Max Q

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:21 am

BN747 wrote:
If you can find an archived ACARS database, that's solid gold at pinning down exact flight details (Cxr Flt Equip, Reg) by date.

Good luck

BN747

BN Was ACARS around in 1977/ 78 ?

Fascinating to look at their network then.
I had no idea they flew non stop from NY to Bahrain with the -SP

In those days of course it was the ‘Dubai of the era’
Last edited by Max Q on Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Qantas59

Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:22 am

In 1977 it would most surely have been a 747-121. 747SP-21s arrived in 1976, but were utilized primarily on Pacific services. The 747-200s that PA acquired from Singapore didn't arrive until 1983.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

BN747

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:05 am

Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Good luck

BN747

I'm can not be sure Max,-scratch that, according to wiki, ACARS was introduced in 1978, so the OP is up against a tidal wave finding his details!But hopefully there may be some telex type records in existence somewhere, here's to hoping some aviation enthusiast (airline worker) who bothered to collect them like the guys who collected timetables, OAG guides, barfbags, etc...and maybe he's figured out how to create an webpage like departedflights. I'm sure a few people collected them and probably thinks they're paper - thus useless. But we see now, they have a use for those who like to piece together parts of their aviation past.

Yeah my first Pan Am 747 flight was a Taipei-Okinawa-Guam-HNL-SFO flight in 1978...they were the kings of the sky then.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

klm617

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:00 am

If you have any photos or perhaps remember the name of the aircraft. It's funny I flew the same route in December of 1978 and January of 1979. I have the names of the aircraft burned in my brain for some reason. I flew on Clipper Unity and Clipper Pacific Trader N653PA and N652PA.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Max Q

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:23 pm

BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Good luck

BN747

I'm can not be sure Max,-scratch that, according to wiki, ACARS was introduced in 1978, so the OP is up against a tidal wave finding his details!But hopefully there may be some telex type records in existence somewhere, here's to hoping some aviation enthusiast (airline worker) who bothered to collect them like the guys who collected timetables, OAG guides, barfbags, etc...and maybe he's figured out how to create an webpage like departedflights. I'm sure a few people collected them and probably thinks they're paper - thus useless. But we see now, they have a use for those who like to piece together parts of their aviation past.

Yeah my first Pan Am 747 flight was a Taipei-Okinawa-Guam-HNL-SFO flight in 1978...they were the kings of the sky then.

BN747

I didn’t realize ACARS had been around that long

When I started with Continental as a 727
Flight Engineer in 1987 we had ACARS and I thought it was state of the art !

It was about the most advanced thing in the cockpit

Interesting journey you took on Pan Am, quite the adventure, I flew with them as
a passenger on flights 1 and 2 around the world and my first and only ride on an SP
was a non stop from HKG-SFO in 1981

The aircraft was brand new and still had plastic covering on some of the seats

What an era that was

Best wishes BN
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

BN747

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm

Max Q wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

BN747

I didn’t realize ACARS had been around that long

When I started with Continental as a 727
Flight Engineer in 1987 we had ACARS and I thought it was state of the art !

It was about the most advanced thing in the cockpit

Interesting journey you took on Pan Am, quite the adventure, I flew with them as
a passenger on flights 1 and 2 around the world and my first and only ride on an SP
was a non stop from HKG-SFO in 1981

The aircraft was brand new and still had plastic covering on some of the seats

What an era that was

Best wishes BN

Wow, that PA 1 & 2 is something I certainly I had on my mind at the time, although at that time, I was lover of as many stops as possible in the process and in the end did so with a mix of carriers, but jealous of that SP ride! That makes me wish today's cell phones were available back then because that would have an awesome trip report to look back on ..like now.

Cheers Max

BN747

GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:10 pm

Timz!! Thank you so much!!
31 Oct 1976
https://merrick.library.miami.edu/cdm/c ... 02/rec/214

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos