Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47844513

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mitig ... d13.275945

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tripo ... d13.156667

Two questions;

1. Is it likely that any of these planes can be flown out of hards way.

2. Are we likely to see more aircraft blown up/burnt out as another round of vandalism, like in 2011 and 2014.

I am purely looking at the aviation implications.
 
vlaakko
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

As far as i know Tripoli International has been out of use all this time and flights - at least civilian flights - use Mitiga instead. Whatever there is in Tripoli International is most likely a wreck or out of use already.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14435
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm

bennett123 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47844513

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mitig ... d13.275945

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tripo ... d13.156667

Two questions;

1. Is it likely that any of these planes can be flown out of hards way.

2. Are we likely to see more aircraft blown up/burnt out as another round of vandalism, like in 2011 and 2014.

I am purely looking at the aviation implications.



Let's hope they can come to some agreement instead of an even bigger mess / killings.

Those airport photo are telling many stories when you scroll around & zoom in. Dozens of types from all over the place, destroyed, new, everything in between. I think I even see some Hansajets.. :wideeyed:
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
texl1649
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:44 pm

HRC/Obama's proudest achievement in diplomacy continues apace. It sounds like the LNA might actually be the 'better' group here, long term.

A divided Libya might work 'best.' Perhaps a European peace keeping force could help some day to keep the islamicist/non-islamicist sides apart; the airfields around Tripoli will surely be critical to any recovery. An A400M could reach any part of Europe from Libya.
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14435
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:47 pm

texl1649 wrote:
HRC/Obama's proudest achievement in diplomacy continues apace. It sounds like the LNA might actually be the 'better' group here, long term.

A divided Libya might work 'best.' Perhaps a European peace keeping force could help some day to keep the islamicist/non-islamicist sides apart; the airfields around Tripoli will surely be critical to any recovery. An A400M could reach any part of Europe from Libya.


I spotted 2 Chinooks on Mitiga one of the airports. Can they also make it from Italy? Where did they come from, who's are they? It's a mess..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
texl1649
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:38 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:14 pm

keesje wrote:
texl1649 wrote:
HRC/Obama's proudest achievement in diplomacy continues apace. It sounds like the LNA might actually be the 'better' group here, long term.

A divided Libya might work 'best.' Perhaps a European peace keeping force could help some day to keep the islamicist/non-islamicist sides apart; the airfields around Tripoli will surely be critical to any recovery. An A400M could reach any part of Europe from Libya.


I spotted 2 Chinooks on Mitiga one of the airports. Can they also make it from Italy? Where did they come from, who's are they? It's a mess..


They are quite old and have a colorful history. I doubt any of them fly again...

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/libyas ... 595e4e94ca
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

Looked at the Google image of Tripoli International.

SE of runway 9/27

1 IL76
2 Caravelle
1 large Prop poss CV440

Close to runway 18/36

Four groups from North to South

1. 2 IL76 and an unidentifiable twin prop

2. 1 A320 and 1B747

3. 1 A320

4. Opposite 3 is a B707

Close to Terminal and Taxiway

Seven groups from North to South

1. 3 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28)

2. 1 B707 and 1 large bizjet

3. 3 B737, an A310 and poss 2 ATR

4. 2 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28) and 3 large bizjets.

5. 4 more of the same.

6. 3 probable B737

7. 1 BAE146

Any comments or corrections welcome.
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Latest from the BBC.

Sounds as if it is escalating.

Https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47853478
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm

I believe that the A310 is TS-IGU and the BAE146 is 5A-FLA.
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5302
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:43 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Looked at the Google image of Tripoli International.

SE of runway 9/27

1 IL76
2 Caravelle
1 large Prop poss CV440

Close to runway 18/36

Four groups from North to South

1. 2 IL76 and an unidentifiable twin prop

2. 1 A320 and 1B747

3. 1 A320

4. Opposite 3 is a B707

Close to Terminal and Taxiway

Seven groups from North to South

1. 3 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28)

2. 1 B707 and 1 large bizjet

3. 3 B737, an A310 and poss 2 ATR

4. 2 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28) and 3 large bizjets.

5. 4 more of the same.

6. 3 probable B737

7. 1 BAE146

Any comments or corrections welcome.

What date are the photos you are working from? I'm getting totally different tallies. You're missing the Fokker 27 N of the runway intersection, the unidentified prop in the upper right is an ATR, your 747 is an AN-124, and the "707" w of rwy 18 is a DC-8. Some of the wrecks on the other side are neat, including AN-26, Islander and a Jetstar.
The last of the famous international playboys
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 5557
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Wait I thought they have already captured Tripoli International Airport on April 4th?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate 求同存異 よく見て・よく聞いて・よく考える
Fitting foreign event into local context for lessons will only be able to tell local values instead of foreign ones
You're now at your youngest moment in your remaining life
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi Spacepope

Google Maps says 2019.

I missed the F27, and agree your amendments. Incidentally, I referred to 2 B707's and now think that both could be DC8's.

I also missed out some smaller stuff or aircraft that were smashed up.

There is also an update from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-47868691

This shows Mitiga Airport.

5A-DUA King Air Libyan National Meteorological Centre
5A-DAS Twin Otter Petro Air
5A-WAT A320 Rahila Airlines
5A-GAD ERJ145 Global Air Transport
5A-ONR(?) A330 Afriqiyah Airways, also 2 A320 of Afriqiyah Airways

There was also an unidentified Chinook.
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Strange thing is that Flightradar24 shows scheduled flight for TIP.

https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/tip/arrivals

I thought it was closed.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:04 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Looked at the Google image of Tripoli International.

SE of runway 9/27

1 IL76
2 Caravelle
1 large Prop poss CV440

Close to runway 18/36

Four groups from North to South

1. 2 IL76 and an unidentifiable twin prop

2. 1 A320 and 1B747

3. 1 A320

4. Opposite 3 is a B707

Close to Terminal and Taxiway

Seven groups from North to South

1. 3 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28)

2. 1 B707 and 1 large bizjet

3. 3 B737, an A310 and poss 2 ATR

4. 2 jets with T tails (CRJ or F28) and 3 large bizjets.

5. 4 more of the same.

6. 3 probable B737

7. 1 BAE146

Any comments or corrections welcome.

I am not sure if this helps but I took these pictures several years ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5611095436/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... hotostream
 
User avatar
keesje
Posts: 14435
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2001 2:08 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:12 pm

I spotted 2 lonely MIG25s too. a fleet of Mi-8's, C130s, 737NG, An125, 727 BAc1-11. Maybe after things settle down they can grap everything together and they have a worthwhile museum. Still sad, Tripoli airport breaths lawless violence and anarchy.. Hope the locals are ok.. .
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:01 pm

N14AZ

Nice B707 in the second.

Keesje

I think the BAC111 is TZ-BSA.
 
offloaded
Posts: 982
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Apart from the one that collided with a Mig 23 and one the Israelis shot down, where's the rest of the old 727 fleet?

They were cannibalizing aircraft at TIP back in the 80s to keep planes in the air because of the embargoes.
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215
 
bennett123
Topic Author
Posts: 10817
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Fighting around Tripoli Airport

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Well 5A-DIH was still flying in 2002. I saw it at MLA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos