strfyr51

Re: JetBlue Interested in Widebodies if London is a Success

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:03 am

What the Heck? If B6 wants to get "Jiggy" with widebodies?? Then Step up to the Plate and have a swing!! They CAN do that!! AND? There's no reason they shouldn't.

strfyr51

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 am

Boof02671 wrote:
They don’t own any ETOPS qualified planes.

Their current airplanes can be modified to ETOPS Standards if they can carry the required fuel load as Airbus has different models and weight classifications imbedded in every fleet type and the A321 wouldn't be any different.

TTailedTiger

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 am

Why does JetBlue think they are entitled to LHR slots? Look how many years it took DL, NW, CO, and US to serve LHR. Even AA couldn't fly to LHR from DFW, RDU, or BNA. They aren't better than any of the other airlines and they can go to LGW or STN for the time being if they really want to serve London.

lowfareair

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 am

strfyr51 wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
One. They don’t have slots
Two. They don’t have any planes to fly it.
Three. They are not an ETOPS qualified airline.

One. They can buy them
Two. They are getting LRs and I believe the Neos could do BOS-LON.
Three. I don't know much about ETOPS certification, but NE US to Europe flying really only requires ETOPS 120/138. WN needed 180 for Hawaii, which is a much more stringent certification. If B6 doesn't have ETOPS already, they can (relatively) easily get certified for 120.

Relatively Easy you say?

Yes, compared to ETOPS 180 as I clearly referenced in my post. Hence the term "relative" :roll: :roll:

strfyr51

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:21 am

N757ST wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Etops is mostly a maintenance program. The a320/21 ceo and neo are certified for etops operations.

Since When is it JUST a Maintenance program? At United? We had Dispatchers, Maintenance, Flight ops, Weather and Flight crews who were overwater and ETOPS qualified which included Stored personnel who monitored ETOPS certified parts Just to name s few, If they think Different?
Let the FAA start "crawling up their Butts" about Engine and APU in flight shutdown rates, and ETOPS system failures..
Especially about ETOPS turnarounds because an ETOPS critical part failed. Or the ETOPS maintenance checks to be accomplished before EVERY ETOPS departure..
By B6 personnel No less on both Ends.

grbauc

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:22 am

tphuang wrote:
no, they have no such ambitions. I also don't see any reason for widebodies in the near future unless there is merger with HA. XLR will be able to do every plausible mission they need at this point.

Has much has I'd like to see wide-bodies at JB I agree with you. XLR and when and if the 797 comes it would be a perfect add with the AB A321XLR if they need more then it provides.

crescent

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:55 pm

We know this already, right? The JFK Terminal 6 proposal is for 12 gates that all accomodate wide-bodies.

DarthLobster

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm

B6 struggling to keep on top of domestic ops, about to launch into an ultra-congested TATL market where LCCs are already floundering, and thinks they can afford widebodies? Sure, might as well order A380s and sell seats for $39, the end result will be the same regardless of what they fly.

impilot

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:28 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
B6 struggling to keep on top of domestic ops, about to launch into an ultra-congested TATL market where LCCs are already floundering, and thinks they can afford widebodies? Sure, might as well order A380s and sell seats for $39, the end result will be the same regardless of what they fly.

You clearly don't understand B6 and their financial situation or their plan. Many of their domestic ops issues are likely to be a non issue for their TATL flying (separate crews, separate planes, and no EDCTs). And is B6 really another LCC that will flounder? It's not like several that floundered due to rapid growth. They've slowly grown and stay profitable. And they've said their goal will be to tap in to the premium market...not selling cheap seats across the Atlantic. Not exactly an LCCish move. In this way, it's similar to the crowded TCON market where they do just fine. B6 has more legroom and better IFE than any other carrier in the US. We aren't talking about a spirit or frontier trying to go TATL here. Also, B6 has one of the best balance sheets in the industry. They can certainly afford new WBs if they knew they would be successful. But they are taking a conservative measured approach with the LRs to test the market before making the investment.

N292UX

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Well they'd have to see how the initial A321LR routes go initially. If they're making them tons of money, then I'd say maybe. But they have to probably give it a few years before they consider something like the A330/787.

impilot

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:57 pm

N292UX wrote:
Well they'd have to see how the initial A321LR routes go initially. If they're making them tons of money, then I'd say maybe. But they have to probably give it a few years before they consider something like the A330/787.

I’d guess 1-2 years to launch. Then another 1-2 years to evaluate performance. Then a couple to several years after that to buy/take delivery of the first WB. Possibly add in several more years if there is an economic downturn. I’d guess it’ll be a while (5-10 years), unless a merger/acquisition accelerated it.

YYZORD

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Its kinda upsetting that B6 plans to expand to Europe but ignores Canada as a whole.

YYZORD

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love B6, I fly out of BUF sometimes just to fly B6, just it's annoying to see these great airlines expand elsewhere and Canada is ignored cause of shitty AC.

CityRail

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Mods, feel free to merge with the All Hands thread but I thought this was interesting, a little blurb in a boarding area article that said Blue is interested in widebodies, the A330 or B787 if London is a success. That is very interesting and they obviously must feel success is a lock and that they want to play with the big boys on a more serious level. Seems they want to shed their coy little blue image once and for all and be considered a big boy themselves.

So let the speculation begin...If they are successful in London, will they go for the A330 or the B787 and,

will they fly those widebodies over the Pacific; TYO, ICN, China etc?
No Transpacific for JetBlue.

It this was successful, they didn't need to scrap codeshare on that busiest transpacific route.

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 G3226 發送

N757ST

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Etops is mostly a maintenance program. The a320/21 ceo and neo are certified for etops operations.

Since When is it JUST a Maintenance program? At United? We had Dispatchers, Maintenance, Flight ops, Weather and Flight crews who were overwater and ETOPS qualified which included Stored personnel who monitored ETOPS certified parts Just to name s few, If they think Different?
Let the FAA start "crawling up their Butts" about Engine and APU in flight shutdown rates, and ETOPS system failures..
Especially about ETOPS turnarounds because an ETOPS critical part failed. Or the ETOPS maintenance checks to be accomplished before EVERY ETOPS departure..
By B6 personnel No less on both Ends.

So you’re agreeing that it’s MOSTLY a maintenance program. Cool. Flight ops? Not a huge deal, an extra day of training during recurrent, ditto for dispatch. Maintenance check before every flight? Ok, there’s plenty of staffed maintenance folks at Boston and JFK, guess they’d have to hire a couple over seas. This isn’t the Apollo program, quit making it out to be.

yulexpansion

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love B6, I fly out of BUF sometimes just to fly B6, just it's annoying to see these great airlines expand elsewhere and Canada is ignored cause of shitty AC.

Here we go again... By all means the North American airline with the most awards and the best star ratings and you still constantly shit on them. Look at what they've accomplished in the past 10 years as a Canadian company. You should be proud of the shape they're in nowadays.

strfyr51

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:32 pm

This might be a turning point for JBLU! I DO think they'll have to fly into airports where they'll get passengers to feed their EU flights when they come about, But none of this is a slam dunk! they don't have slots into LHR that I know of, though they could go into LGW on pretty much a whim. Or STN on even Less of a whim. FRA , or CDG? I have no Idea?

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:37 pm

CaptCoolHand wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Reasonable yes, easy no.

So again ...

We know it too wn 3 big long years to ETOPS.

How long did it take VA?
Don’t want to field a question? ETOPS on airbus is an impossibility!?!? Dear lord it’ll take decades.

Come on man.

How long did it take WestJet to go ETOPS with 767s? Aloha 737NGs? ATA 757s?

YYZORD

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Compared to B6 and WN, AC treats their customers like shit, compared to UA and AA standards. WS is still better but still would love B6 or WN as an option not only from BUF.

yulexpansion wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Here we go again... By all means the North American airline with the most awards and the best star ratings and you still constantly shit on them. Look at what they've accomplished in the past 10 years as a Canadian company. You should be proud of the shape they're in nowadays.

cpl22586

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:47 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Its kinda upsetting that B6 plans to expand to Europe but ignores Canada as a whole.

I think part of the reason Jetblue doesn't go to Canada is that the taxes are so incredibly expensive. I remember Marty St George mentioning this in a video a while back.

impilot

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 am

cpl22586 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

I think part of the reason Jetblue doesn't go to Canada is that the taxes are so incredibly expensive. I remember Marty St George mentioning this in a video a while back.

This. And they serve a ton of Canadians via BUF.

catiii

Fri May 10, 2019 7:52 pm

EWR22LAS25 wrote:
It's actually Robin and Joanna's preference to go with the A330 given the deal that Airbus is offering them to take that over the 321. The board is pushing the narrowbody
option right now until B6 proves that they can be profitable trans-atlantic.

Is it? You sure about that?

If you were in the know then you WOULD know...

jfklganyc

Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 pm

cpl22586 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Bingo!

lightsaber

Fri May 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
WN took 18-24 months to achieve ETOPS certification and it’s only for the 738.

We have a timeline for 180 ETOPS. How much easier is 120?

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Boof02671

Fri May 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Not much really, only difference is flight plan and fuel requirements

F27500

Fri May 10, 2019 11:44 pm

.. 70+ replies and all this scratchin at each other …. over a rumor some dingbat flight attendant made up ??!

DocLightning

Sat May 11, 2019 12:07 am

tphuang wrote:
no, they have no such ambitions. I also don't see any reason for widebodies in the near future unless there is merger with HA. XLR will be able to do every plausible mission they need at this point.

There is this issue that many EU airports are slot-controlled. This isn't just about range. This is also about capacity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

B6BOSfan

Sat May 11, 2019 12:49 am

cpl22586 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

The taxes are kind of crazy. I travel to Whistler from Boston each year. Tried Delta this year into Vancouver vs. JetBlue direct into Seattle. Had to connect on the way out in Minneapolis, and on the trip home in Seattle AND Detroit (because Delta decided to ditch their SEA-BOS redeye for awhile). Never again.

The price was more than double, and time savings not worth the drive past Vancouver to Seattle.

FlyHappy

Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 am

I don't get how tiny little Sun Country was flying MSP-LON (via Gander) a decade ago, and LAX-HNL today, if ETOPS certification is so challenging for far bigger players.

Just.Don't.Get.It.

rbavfan

Sat May 11, 2019 2:21 am

jumbojet wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
You could have at least linked the article?

sorry, here you go...

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... ouncement/

about half way down, underneath the two pictures...

I suppose this could all be a cruel trick from JetBlue, but I doubt it. Rumors of European service have been going on too long. One self-identified JetBlue crewmember even emailed me yesterday with the following:
Crewmember London brief has already been done. Boston to Heathrow on the A321XLR with mint configuration to start (no date set, waiting for new 321). Widebodies being looked at for fleet expansion if London is a success (330 and 787).

Note: In the article that is a non-jetBlue site, It's a persons personal blogging site. They have no copy of a crew member briefing document saying wide bodies are being spoke about. Just the persons personal view. That makes it a RUMOR from a non verifiable blog site. Would be like me posting about a new Apple product before an announcement is made and trying to make it a fact based post.

rbavfan

Sat May 11, 2019 2:29 am

N757ST wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Yes The A320/A320 have ETOPS so dos the 737 including some newer models WN purchased. But once you have an ETOPS plane you then have to get certified separately from the aircrafts ETOPS. It's a long , but doable process. Thats what WN's holdup was on Hawaii service. Government shutdown during time they needed kept them from the ETOPS for their airline.

rbavfan

Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 am

tb727 wrote:
Baldanza said it won't happen. I'd take what he says as the most likely thing to happen there.

So Baldanza knows jetBlue. Wasn't he a former Spirit Airline CEO? So just how does he know B6 won't do it?

Jetmarc

Sat May 11, 2019 2:39 am

rbavfan wrote:
tb727 wrote:
Baldanza said it won't happen. I'd take what he says as the most likely thing to happen there.

So Baldanza knows jetBlue. Wasn't he a former Spirit Airline CEO? So just how does he know B6 won't do it?

Probably because he sits on the BoD.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

rbavfan

Sat May 11, 2019 2:41 am

Boof02671 wrote:
WN took 18-24 months to achieve ETOPS certification and it’s only for the 738.

Apparently for the 738 & 738M. Otherwise they could not fly to Hawaii right now as they 8m is grounded. So they would appear to be certified series wide.

santi319

Sat May 11, 2019 2:42 am

Widebodies imminent!!

lowfareair

Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Not much really, only difference is flight plan and fuel requirements

...and other stuff like a much more stringent restriction on engine shutdown intervals. Otherwise, why not just go for 180.

120 is an easier ETOPS cert to obtain (both in terms of time and actual requirements needed for certification) relative to 180.

rbavfan

Sat May 11, 2019 2:48 am

CaptCoolHand wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Reasonable yes, easy no.

So again ...

We know it too wn 3 big long years to ETOPS.

How long did it take VA?
Don’t want to field a question? ETOPS on airbus is an impossibility!?!? Dear lord it’ll take decades.

Come on man.

Yes and during that time WN had engine & maintenance issues that were being investigated by the FAA. Also they had to deal with Trumps government shutdown. So it took longer.

trueblew

Sat May 11, 2019 4:58 am

Jetmarc wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
tb727 wrote:

Probably because he sits on the BoD.

zing

SierraPacific

Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 am

I really doubt that JetBlue is still named JetBlue by the time the first widebody gets on property in 5-10 years

DarthLobster

Sat May 11, 2019 6:58 am

They can barely keep their domestic operation together. Add widebodies to the mix and they'll be dead in less than 3 years.

APYu

Sat May 11, 2019 7:28 am

This sounds like just another snippet of a talking point to keep people talking about these JetBlue services during the YEARS before they actually start.
The economics of this route will look a lot different after Brexit anyway, so if they do actually start, I give them two winters max before they realise the aircraft can make more money elsewhere.
We'd like to welcome in particular our Executive Club members and those joining us from our Oneworld alliance partners.

VV

Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 pm

Widebodies, why?

Abeam79

Sat May 11, 2019 1:48 pm

It’s not rocket science guys, if the business model works for widebodies, they will do it. They are approaching 2 billion in revenue as they are growing airline. Going to EU from nyc area is a HUGE market and as the A321LR/XLR markets mature, especially from Jfk/bos to London, Paris Amsterdam, etc matures, which easily can support additional widebody lift from B6, they will certainly consider it as they already publicly mentioned. But first they will have to let A321LR service launch. They are realizing if they hit a huge demand for increased asm’s for tatl especially in premium (mint) as they did with transcon, they would rather upgauge to widebody and not chew into precious slots to increase asm’s with a A321 like they had to do for Jfk/bos-lax/Sfo/san etc.
Heck they can fill them up on the Jfk-Sju,sti,sdq,Fll,Mco,Bgi etc routes during the day like AA used to do with A300’s when they dominated the nyc carribean markets before B6. Market is there and B6 holds fare and customer loyalty now on those areas of high strengths for them. Knowing them they would use it to do a daytime turn there before coming back to Jfk before going overseas instead of having sit all day on the ramp.

xdlx

Sat May 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Airbus 321LXR Fans..... WHY would an airline growing into a major market like EU chose an airplane that at best would be stretched for this mission? A330 is the logical choice for this evolution, not sure they need the 333, but 332NEO would fit nicely and be capable to do JFK HNL as well as any route in Europe.

eicvd

Sat May 11, 2019 2:34 pm

VV wrote:
Widebodies, why?

Why not?
COYBIB

VS4ever

Sat May 11, 2019 2:57 pm

xdlx wrote:
Airbus 321LXR Fans..... WHY would an airline growing into a major market like EU chose an airplane that at best would be stretched for this mission? A330 is the logical choice for this evolution, not sure they need the 333, but 332NEO would fit nicely and be capable to do JFK HNL as well as any route in Europe.

Can you say “WOW”, 321’s are a toe in the water (figuratively speaking) if it works they can be repurposed elsewhere and 330’s purchased accordingly. I call it a shrewd move, limited risk with potential if it’s as successful
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

spinotter

Sat May 11, 2019 5:25 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
All this talk of B6 going transatlantic when I feel like there's so much they still have left on the table right here domestically especially out of So. Fla.

I agree completely. Out of Boston, JFK, new Midwest hub, Florida, and California. For me their UK thinking smacks of delusions of grandiosity (Norwegian, anyone?)/

impilot

Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 pm

spinotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
All this talk of B6 going transatlantic when I feel like there's so much they still have left on the table right here domestically especially out of So. Fla.

I agree completely. Out of Boston, JFK, new Midwest hub, Florida, and California. For me their UK thinking smacks of delusions of grandiosity (Norwegian, anyone?)/

Ha you can’t be serious. Norwegian bought a ton of widebodies in a very short amount of time and sold cheap seats trying to lure people into flying. And lost a ton of money trying to do it. This is an incremental, slow/steady growth plan using airplanes that can be used domestically if need be. Norwegian took on a ton of debt to grow as fast as they did. JetBlue isn’t. All they are doing is filling holes from their biggest focus cities in a slow and steady manner, while keeping a minimal amount of debt and keeping costs/risks down while testing markets.

Delta777Jet

Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Maybe they can adopt the TWA name if American is willing to sell the brand ! Would be awesome to see the name back in the sky
B-717/722/737-200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/B-747-100/200/400/SP/8i/B-752/3/B-762/3/4/B-772/LR/300ER/B-787-8/-9/DC-10-10/30/L1011-1/500/MD81/82/83/90/A-319/320/321/AB6/312/313/332/333/342/343/346/359/388/TU154/IL18/ATR42/72/DH4/DH3/E145/E170/190/CR2/7/9

TTailedTiger

Sat May 11, 2019 7:22 pm

santi319 wrote:
Widebodies imminent!!

Source?

Widebodies and LCC's just don't mix well. WestJet has had to transition to a full service airline now that they have the 767 and 787.