TTailedTiger

Re: JetBlue Interested in Widebodies if London is a Success

Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
They can barely keep their domestic operation together. Add widebodies to the mix and they'll be dead in less than 3 years.

Agreed. JetBlue will never touch Southwest's success and these foolish ideas show just how dysfunctional and arrogant they are. JetBlue is non-existent in the southeast and Midwest but they think they need to serve Heathrow. Good grief.

SteelChair

Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 pm

And then, JetBlue can fly to Haneda! And then Dubai! And then HKG! And then GIG!

Stand by for an order of 200 A350s! Its bound to happen!

Sarcasm intended.

VS4ever

Sat May 11, 2019 8:11 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
They can barely keep their domestic operation together. Add widebodies to the mix and they'll be dead in less than 3 years.

Agreed. JetBlue will never touch Southwest's success and these foolish ideas show just how dysfunctional and arrogant they are. JetBlue is non-existent in the southeast and Midwest but they think they need to serve Heathrow. Good grief.

I can see why you think that, but that’s not their business model and they have made that perfectly clear. Their focus is on their focus cities and where their passengers want to go. They have heard that loud and clear they want to be able to go to London, and that’s what they are working on. What they are not hearing is their passengers want to go to Columbus or Birmingham, AL as examples and guess what, they aren’t. It may not suit the narrative as US4 style, but they have never really wanted to be that. Long term if they get the bolt on the options for the 60 220’s, but it’s clear what their plan is, like it or not
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

DALMD80

Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 pm

jumbojet wrote:
Mods, feel free to merge with the All Hands thread but I thought this was interesting, a little blurb in a boarding area article that said Blue is interested in widebodies, the A330 or B787 if London is a success. That is very interesting and they obviously must feel success is a lock and that they want to play with the big boys on a more serious level. Seems they want to shed their coy little blue image once and for all and be considered a big boy themselves.

So let the speculation begin...If they are successful in London, will they go for the A330 or the B787 and,

will they fly those widebodies over the Pacific; TYO, ICN, China etc?

Probably the UK. Let's see some B6 333s!
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

impilot

Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Edit: looks like the post I replied to was either deleted or edited so I’ll do the same.

VV

Sat May 11, 2019 9:03 pm

eicvd wrote:
VV wrote:
Widebodies, why?

Why not?

Why why not?

tphuang

Sun May 12, 2019 12:43 am

xdlx wrote:
Airbus 321LXR Fans..... WHY would an airline growing into a major market like EU chose an airplane that at best would be stretched for this mission? A330 is the logical choice for this evolution, not sure they need the 333, but 332NEO would fit nicely and be capable to do JFK HNL as well as any route in Europe.

adding widebodies make fleets a more complicated and really adds to the cost. B6 needs to keep its fleet simple in order to get its cost under control.

It's going through a pretty big transition next couple of years with A320 reconfig, A220 entrance, E90 withdraw and then A321LR. A330NEO even at a good price is a pretty risky proposition. JetBlue has possibly the most conservative leadership around.

Consider the follow math

A330-200 has approximately 75% higher total operating cost than A321. I'm using this link as a basis for my guestimate
viewtopic.php?t=559385
Using DL as guideline where A330-200 has 83% higher operating cost than A320.
Let's say the cost difference is same for A330-800 vs A321NEO. Let's assume B6 try a A330-200 config similar to DL (34 J + 200 Y/Y+) vs a premium configured A321LR of 28J + 112 Y/Y+. That's 234 vs 140 seat. The cost per seat in this case would still be lower A321, since it's only 67% more seat.

It's simply a lot easier to fill 28 J seat vs 34 J seat and 112 Y seat vs 200 Y seat. Especially the latter, that's really easy to fill on a route with as much demand as JFK/BOS-LON.

spinotter wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
All this talk of B6 going transatlantic when I feel like there's so much they still have left on the table right here domestically especially out of So. Fla.

I agree completely. Out of Boston, JFK, new Midwest hub, Florida, and California. For me their UK thinking smacks of delusions of grandiosity (Norwegian, anyone?)/

B6 has the most cautious management out there whereas DY has the more aggressive. At this point, it would a lot more costly for them to try build a midwest hub or west coast hub vs going TATL. They are not adding new fleet type. The cost increase will be minimal, comparable to what WN is going through with flying to HI. Huge difference between filling a 140 seat per flight with huge ff/corporate base and point of sale vs filling 300+ seat per flight with minimal point of sale on either side.

If TATL doesn't work, they can alway redeploy them to routes like JFK-UIO/LIM or FLL-GRU.

APYu wrote:
This sounds like just another snippet of a talking point to keep people talking about these JetBlue services during the YEARS before they actually start.
The economics of this route will look a lot different after Brexit anyway, so if they do actually start, I give them two winters max before they realise the aircraft can make more money elsewhere.

Can you actually point to such places? And do think about full network impact. Think about how flying to Europe would help with ff program membership and credit card holders vs flying to VFR locations out of JFK.

And if you think they can do better flying to middle of the country out of BOS/JFK, you obviously have never looked at the numbers.

ctrabs0114

Sun May 12, 2019 1:21 am

Delta777Jet wrote:
Maybe they can adopt the TWA name if American is willing to sell the brand ! Would be awesome to see the name back in the sky

The only way that happens is if B6 merges with AA... (too soon?)

That said, can't we just let names from the past alone? You'll have to settle for AA's 738 painted in the TW "heritage" scheme.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ArchGuy1

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 pm

Do you think that JetBlue will ever operate the 777-9X.

strfyr51

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm

lowfareair wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
One. They don’t have slots
Two. They don’t have any planes to fly it.
Three. They are not an ETOPS qualified airline.

One. They can buy them
Two. They are getting LRs and I believe the Neos could do BOS-LON.
Three. I don't know much about ETOPS certification, but NE US to Europe flying really only requires ETOPS 120/138. WN needed 180 for Hawaii, which is a much more stringent certification. If B6 doesn't have ETOPS already, they can (relatively) easily get certified for 120.

B6 can fly to LHR with ETOPS 60, though. it will take a northerly routing to do so

Boof02671

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:35 am

strfyr51 wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
One. They don’t have slots
Two. They don’t have any planes to fly it.
Three. They are not an ETOPS qualified airline.

One. They can buy them
Two. They are getting LRs and I believe the Neos could do BOS-LON.
Three. I don't know much about ETOPS certification, but NE US to Europe flying really only requires ETOPS 120/138. WN needed 180 for Hawaii, which is a much more stringent certification. If B6 doesn't have ETOPS already, they can (relatively) easily get certified for 120.

B6 can fly to LHR with ETOPS 60, though. it will take a northerly routing to do so

And how much extra time is needed? They are not going to just get 60 minutes it’s a waste of resources and won’t use the plane for its potential then.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos