max999
Topic Author

Dr Dao, Dragged Off UA Flight Bloodied, Speaks Publicly for 1st Time

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/US/doctor-dragge ... wopack_hed

Apparently, the people who dragged him off the plane caused serious injuries.

The first few months were "horrible," he said. He suffered a concussion, lacerations to his mouth and nose, and several of his teeth were knocked out, he said. He was put on suicide watch by hospital staff and later spent months learning to walk again, he said.

Dao still struggles with issues sleeping and with his concentration and balance, he said. While he'd run more than 20 marathons before the incident, now he can only do about 3 miles -- with at least one of them by walking, he added.

And people from all over the world recognize him because of his involvement in the famous incident.

Since then, he has helped residents in Texas displaced by Hurricane Harvey and traveled to Vietnam and Cambodia to help install solar power in villages with no electricity, he said. Even in the Far East, people knew his story, he said.

One elderly man approached him and asked, "You the one on airplane?" Dao said.

"That touched me," the doctor said, holding back tears.

UA reiterates they have learned from the incident.

United Airlines issued a statement to ABC News, saying the changes they've implemented since the incident "better serve out customers and further empower our employees."

"Flight 3411 was a defining moment for United Airlines and it is our responsibility to make sure we as a company and all of our 90,000 employees continue to learn from that experience. The changes we have implemented since that incident better serve our customers and further empower our employees," according to the statement from United Airlines. "This year, we are focused more than ever on our commitment to our customers, looking at every aspect of our business to ensure that we keep their best interests at the center of everything that we do. As our CEO Oscar Munoz has said, we at United never want anyone in the United family to forget the experience of Flight 3411. It makes us a better airline, a more caring company and a stronger team."
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

ilovelamp

Re: Dr Dao, Dragged Off UA Flight Bloodied, Speaks Publicly for 1st Time

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:00 pm

And to think all of this could have been avoided if he just followed a simple request to exit the aircraft. That he didn’t acquiesce was the lynchpin to this whole debacle.

ILL

impilot

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:07 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
And to think all of this could have been avoided if he just followed a simple request to exit the aircraft. That he didn’t acquiesce was the lynchpin to this whole debacle.

ILL

Ok lamp...if the GAs/customer service reps had handled it better the whole debacle would have never happened.

bennett123

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Perhaps they should not sell tickets and then boot people off.

Carfield

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Dr. Dao turns out to be a pretty grateful and forgiving man. United should have never allowed the situation to escalate to such scale. United could stop it and all these pains and sufferings by Dr. Dao would have never happened. However, as he said, something good has come out of it. United was forced to face its overbooking issue and now they will never dare to remove someone from the plane in such forceful manner. If you need to kick someone out, you do it before boarding. United is at fault and I am glad that it full admits to it.

The highlight of the video is that Dr. Dao is dedicated to charity in helping veterans because it is a soldier who rescued him from the war in the sixties. He shows a bigger heart than any of us here!

Carfield

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:12 pm

impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

Ok lamp...if the GAs/customer service reps had handled it better the whole debacle would have never happened.

Did Dao disobey a lawful command to exit the aircraft?

In a single word, yes. An allegedly intelligent, grown adult, which is implied by his title of “doctor,” didn’t have the maturity to do what he was asked to do.

I’m sorry but I have never nor ever will feel sorry for him.

ILL

OneSexyL1011

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:12 pm

Whatever.
I guess this guys gag order has expired at the 2 year mark now, and its time to cash in again.

Looks like this convicted felons side business for accepting sexual favors for prescription drugs isn't working anymore. I don't feel sorry for this guy and never will.

iad51fl

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:15 pm

He brought this upon himself. An aircraft is private property.... if they ask you to get off, you get off. But in our current "entitlement" era, if someone doesn't get what they want they throw a hissy fit and expect you to bend over to accommodate them.

Airlines overbook, it happens. Get off and move on with your life. If you can't live with that, then charter a flight or even get a pilots license, rent a plane and fly yourself.
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

impilot

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

In a single word, yes. An allegedly intelligent, grown adult, which is implied by his title of “doctor,” didn’t have the maturity to do what he was asked to do.

ILL

A lawful command to take something he paid for? He already boarded. He wasn’t a nonrev or something where there’s an expectation that you can be bumped at any time. United messed up. And they admitted fault. And they paid for it. You’re on the wrong side of history with this one.

winginit

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:23 pm

Carfield wrote:
Dr. Dao turns out to be a pretty grateful and forgiving man.

Lest we forget, a man who has been convicted of multiple felony drug charges for exchanging prescription drugs for sexual favors, which caused him to forfeit his medical license. That doesn't change the realities of what happened or how it was handled in Chicago, but let's not pretend this guy is a saint.

OneSexyL1011 wrote:
Whatever.
I guess this guys gag order has expired at the 2 year mark now, and its time to cash in again.

Bingo. UA's legal and PR teams have surely had this date on their calendar for two years now.

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:25 pm

impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
impilot wrote:

ILL

A lawful command to take something he paid for? He already boarded. He wasn’t a nonrev or something where there’s an expectation that you can be bumped at any time. United messed up. And they admitted fault. And they paid for it. You’re on the wrong side of history with this one.

Actually I think more people agree with my line of thought on this than are willing to publicly admit.

Also actually, it was lawful at the time to be removed for a large number of reasons but that fact seems lost on you.

That said, would you have put yourself into a position to be forcibly removed? Once the situation escalated enough to the point you knew physical removal was necessary you would have allowed the situation to continue to unfold?

In the end this is all my opinion and it certainly isn’t the first nor the last time it’ll be an unpopular one but it is my opinion. He shares culpability with regard to his injuries by ignoring the request to exit the aircraft.

ILL

travelsonic

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:26 pm

winginit wrote:
Lest we forget, a man who has been convicted of multiple felony drug charges for exchanging prescription drugs for sexual favors, which caused him to forfeit his medical license. That doesn't change the realities of what happened or how it was handled in Chicago, but let's not pretend this guy is a saint.

And what does that have to do with Carfield's post at all?

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:27 pm

winginit wrote:
Carfield wrote:
Dr. Dao turns out to be a pretty grateful and forgiving man.

Agree wholeheartedly. Celebrate his good works when able but that shouldn’t be a shield for his bad behavior and actions.

ILL

winginit

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm

travelsonic wrote:
winginit wrote:

And what does that have to do with Carfield's post at all?

In saying that Dr. Dao is a grateful and forgiving man, it can be implied that he's not simply speaking out for personal gain. However, given Dr. Dao's criminal past, it is, in my mind at least, all the more likely that Dr. Dao is simply speaking out as a first step to try and benefit from this whole thing with his gag order having now likely lapsed.

Any further questions?

PHLspecial

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:33 pm

iad51fl wrote:
He brought this upon himself. An aircraft is private property.... if they ask you to get off, you get off. But in our current "entitlement" era, if someone doesn't get what they want they throw a hissy fit and expect you to bend over to accommodate them.

Airlines overbook, it happens. Get off and move on with your life. If you can't live with that, then charter a flight or even get a pilots license, rent a plane and fly yourself.

He paid for the flight, its not like he was a nonrev. You would have to offer damn good money to get me out of my seat. Its different if I was not sitting on the plane.

xjetflyer2001

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:54 pm

impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

Actually impilot, if Dr. Dao had exited when requested this would have never happened, so there are a lot of what if's that could have happened to have avoided this, however the customer service reps did nothing in this incident that was out of line, Dr. Dao refused to move for the agents, they called to have the police handle the situation, the airport police (the ones who dragged him off of the aircraft) are the ones at fault for his injuries, besides Dr. Dao himself, the agents did what the could to have him removed peacefully, Dr. Dao was stubborn and refused to move, that's his right, but to put this debacle on the customer service agents I do not think is correct.

peterinlisbon

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

ILL

He disobeyed a command, but he did not deserve to be treated in the way he was. If you don't put your phone in flight mode or forget to put your seat upright do you deserve to get beaten up? Boarding a flight shouldn't be like joining a prison gang.

xjetflyer2001

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 pm

impilot wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
impilot wrote:

ILL

If you read the contract of carriage when you buy a ticket, it clearly states that in an overbooking situation the process of how someone is removed from a flight. It is clearly stated, is it read often? definitely not.

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
impilot wrote:

ILL

He disobeyed a command, but he did not deserve to be treated in the way he was. If you don't put your phone in flight mode or forget to put your seat upright do you deserve to get beaten up? Boarding a flight shouldn't be like joining a prison gang.

I don’t deny there was a crazy chain of events that unfolded. However, as a grown adult he had every chance to influence that chain of events towards a different outcome.

ILL

gregn21

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pm

April Fools was last week! Is this guy seriously still trying to blame his injuries on United? On top of that, the injuries he is citing seem fake, or at least wildly exagerrated based off of the video which went around at the time of the incident.

Scarebus34

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Do we really need to re-litigate this ridiculous situation?

usxguy

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:23 pm

I really REALLY wish United and Republic went public with the fact he blew PAST the gate agent and ran back on to the airplane. *THAT* was his mistake. He then took any open seat on the plane.

His wife wanted to take the bump compensation and thought they were going to be put on a later flight that day, instead it was the next morning and that's when he flipped out and darted back to the plane.
xx

xxcr

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm

People get bumped off flights all the time, but the Dr was made famous since he was dragged. He didnt follow the simple commands from the flight crew and the staff.....he got what he deserved. Yes, he had a confirmed ticket/seat but this is what happens when you refuse and resist. The UA employees that got on that flight could have been re-routed to avoid any headaches with the paid passengers.

this is the same with police and their lawful orders, if you don't obey and resist.........well you know what happens.

SFOtoORD

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:28 pm

ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

And yet he suffered both the consequences in terms of injury and the upside that he’s now likely quite wealthy. And United suffered serious reputation damage and needed to make major changes as a consequence. So, yes, he could have just gotten up, but he didn’t and then United and some contract security people turned it into an international headline. Customers do Ill advised things every day and 99.9% of them don’t make the press and virtually none of them turn into a company level crisis.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:29 pm

usxguy wrote:
I really REALLY wish United and Republic went public with the fact he blew PAST the gate agent and ran back on to the airplane. *THAT* was his mistake. He then took any open seat on the plane.

His wife wanted to take the bump compensation and thought they were going to be put on a later flight that day, instead it was the next morning and that's when he flipped out and darted back to the plane.

It's also only about a five hour drive. He should have taken the money, made UA rent him a car, and gone home. That would have been the rational response, but people aren't always rational.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

YellowJ

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:43 pm

I completely sympathized with him when this happened, but there is no need to bring this back into the anyone's eye except his therapist. Whatever happened was mitigated when he accepted compensation from UA and/or Chicago PD. If he didn't feel the amount was enough, he should have sued UA/Chicago police and let a jury decide. I dislike people who attempt to milk a situation repeatedly.

bennett123

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Firstly, perhaps Airlines should stop overbooking. How about an auto dealer selling the same to two different customers. Who thinks that this would be OK.

Second, UA staff did not assault him. However, they did tell the LEO to remove him. IMO, this is still on them.

What is basically being argued is they have no responsibility for actions on their premises at their instigation.

alfa164

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:59 pm

xjetflyer2001 wrote:
If you read the contract of carriage when you buy a ticket, it clearly states that in an overbooking situation the process of how someone is removed from a flight. It is clearly stated, is it read often? definitely not.

Except the flight wasn't "overbooked"; he has dragged off to make room for non-revs. And the Contract of Carriage implies that you may not be boarded on an aircraft if it is overbooked, not that you will be dragged off subsequently.

Even UA admitted they had no legitimate excuse; why are people still defending them?
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ITSTours

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:00 pm

I often see a huge gap in sentiments regarding incidents between aviation geeks and the general public. And the geeks tend to believe they are correct. But keep in mind that a typical customer does not expect to get knocked off to the ground in the airplane.

n92r03

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:15 pm

How much money did Dao (not a DR) receive for basically being an A hole and not following the commands and rules? Please spare me the whole he paid for his ticket crap. Go find a safe space or a cry closet.

9w748capt

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm

All this because UA refused to pay an additional $300. Didn't a passenger onboard offer to give up their seat for $600 rather than the $300 UA offered? I bet UA wishes they would've taken that offer.

And you people blaming Dr. Dao and bringing up his past - you are despicable. He had already boarded and had every right to his seat. That UA miscounted and let him board is no fault of his. He is a hero IMO.

Unbelievable.

9w748capt

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:18 pm

n92r03 wrote:
How much money did Dao (not a DR) receive for basically being an A hole and not following the commands and rules? Please spare me the whole he paid for his ticket crap. Go find a safe space or a cry closet.

Are you kidding me? He's an ahole? What the hell is wrong with you people! And are you calling him a fake doctor? Just curious - has an airline ever asked you to deplane after you'd already boarded? And how did you react?

B737900ER

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Except the flight wasn't "overbooked"; he has dragged off to make room for non-revs.

Even UA admitted they had no legitimate excuse; why are people still defending them?

None of what you just wrote is true.

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:28 pm

alfa164 wrote:

Because a shockingly large amount of members here have complete and absolute disdain for the flying public, and will blindly defend any airline and/or crew action as a result.

alfa164

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:34 pm

9w748capt wrote:
n92r03 wrote:

Are you kidding me? He's an ahole? What the hell is wrong with you people! And are you calling him a fake doctor? Just curious - has an airline ever asked you to deplane after you'd already boarded? And how did you react?

Because blaming the victim is the last recourse of scoundrels.

B737900ER wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Except the flight wasn't "overbooked"; he has dragged off to make room for non-revs.

Really? Prove it.

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Because a shockingly large amount of members here have complete and absolute disdain for the flying public, and will blindly defend any airline and/or crew action as a result.

Apparently, they will even lie to maintain their obstinate position.
Last edited by alfa164 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amiga500

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:36 pm

ilovelamp wrote:

ILL

I think the word I'm looking for rhymes with anchor...

B737900ER

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 pm

alfa164 wrote:

B737900ER wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Really? Prove it.

You made the accusation. You prove it. You say he was asked to leave for non-revs, show us.

Aptivaboy

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Dear Lord, are we back to this again?

There wasn't a lawful command given. United's own publicly available policies, including those submitted to the DOT and admitted to before Congress established that they could not make someone leave the aircraft once they had boarded and were in their seat. PERIOD. They agreed in DOT filings pre-Dao to never remove someone who had been seated! They made a filing with the danged federal government, for Chrissakes!

It was United that was violating its own policies. PERIOD.

Sorry for getting emotional, but after several years you'd think that people would know this. Oscar Munoz admitted as much in his congressional testimony; its all there on tape, straight from his lips.

caljn

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm

I'll take an unpopular, contrarian position. While the situation clearly got out of hand by all concerned, the indignity and childishness of kicking and screaming is not a manner in which I would expect any "Doctor" to behave. There must be more to the story.

glideslope900

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Don’t make him out to be a victim. He committed a criminal act by not exiting the plane. Any normal law abiding citizen would have exited.

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 pm

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

There are certain people who view airlines as door mats all the while forgetting they are dealing with private companies. Too many times have I witnessed passengers of all status levels trying to make the airlines out to be the bad guys when it’s really their (the pax) own incompetence and/or ignorance to blame. There’s something to the theory that some people can become the stupidest individuals on the planet once they step foot in an airport. The above only applies to certain people and not directed at the majority of the flying public. I believe Dao fell into the former category. I also freely admit airlines can and do step in it all the time and they should rightfully be called out for those missteps.

There’s no substitution for personal responsibility while in public. If people took the time to get educated on the process, the services, and restrictions (all freely available on every airline's website) that are provided, most issues can be prevented.

In the end, I’m of the belief multiple horrible things went wrong with the Dao situation. But to claim he’s an innocent victim is ridiculous. His behavior made the situation much worse.

peterinlisbon

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
usxguy wrote:

It's also only about a five hour drive. He should have taken the money, made UA rent him a car, and gone home.

In the end he more or less did that, except that he took a lot more money than they figured and instead of a car they had to rent an ambulance.

alfa164

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:00 pm

B737900ER wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
B737900ER wrote:

Really? Prove it.

You made the accusation. You prove it. You say he was asked to leave for non-revs, show us.

Facts are easy to find; I am surprised you are incapable of locating them.

"Another United employee told passengers that the plane would not leave until four people got off, Mr. Bridges said. The employee specified that the airline had four United employees who needed to get to Louisville, he said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/busi ... agged.html

That information has been reiterated many times over... :roll:

DiamondFlyer

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 pm

alfa164 wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:

Except the flight wasn't "overbooked"; he has dragged off to make room for non-revs. And the Contract of Carriage implies that you may not be boarded on an aircraft if it is overbooked, not that you will be dragged off subsequently.

No sir, they did not take him off for non-revenue passengers. He was removed for deadheading, must ride crew, who were needed to operate a flight early the next morning.

Shame on you for making things up.
From my cold, dead hands

glideslope900

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:02 pm

alfa164 wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:

He was removed for deadheading crew not non revs...

IADCA

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm

B737900ER wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

B737900ER wrote:

Really? Prove it.

Numerous media reports say it was for deadheads (not same as complete non-revs, but not revenue passengers either), including one published today in the Louisville Courier-Journal (https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 408585002/). As far as I know, UA has never disputed this fact. I suspect the confusion here is in the precise meaning of "non-rev" here, not who ended up occupying the seat.
Last edited by IADCA on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glideslope900

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm

9w748capt wrote:
n92r03 wrote:

If they did ask me to get off the plane I certainly would not let it get physical and would eventually comply without getting arrested.

Ok we can call him an criminal ex doctor. Is that better?

ilovelamp

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 pm

IADCA wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Really? Prove it.

Numerous media reports say it was for deadheads (not same as complete non-revs, but not revenue passengers either), including one published today in the Louisville Courier-Journal (https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 408585002/). As far as I know, UA has never disputed this fact.

They were non-revs in the sense they were positive spaced crew members. They were not someone on buddy passes or with a leisure non-rev status.

alfa164

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:06 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
xjetflyer2001 wrote:

No sir, they did not take him off for non-revenue passengers. He was removed for deadheading, must ride crew, who were needed to operate a flight early the next morning.
Shame on you for making things up.

Deadheading passengers are non-revenue passengers.

IADCA wrote:
[Numerous media reports say it was for deadheads (not same as complete non-revs, but not revenue passengers either), including one published today in the Louisville Courier-Journal (https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 408585002/). As far as I know, UA has never disputed this fact. I suspect the confusion here is in the precise meaning of "non-rev" here, not who ended up occupying the seat.

:checkmark:

ilovelamp wrote:
They were non-revs in the sense they were positive spaced crew members. They were not someone on buddy passes or with a leisure non-rev status.

Agreed. They were, nevertheless, non-revenue passengers.
Last edited by alfa164 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

afgeneral

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:07 pm

iad51fl wrote:

The plane may be private property but it is a public space.

He had a ticket, this was a commercial issue between him and the airline and the airport police had no right to act as the airline's thugs. You could argue that the command to exit the aircraft was in fact unlawful at least from a consumer protection point of view. The policemen and decision makers laying down force in response to a commercial issue should have been fired and made to pay damages. They had no ruling / court decision based on which to enforce the airline's version of the story.

At least in Europe...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos