BN747
Topic Author

JetBlue A320 New York Intl Retro Jet

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:22 pm

I grew up when US had like 25 big major & regional airlines, like Mohawk, Allegheny, Southern, Air California plus the biggies like American, Braniff, Capitol, Continental, Delta, Eastern, Frontier, Hawaiian, Hughes Airwest, Northwest Orient, Pan Am, TWA, Western, United and others. I thought I knew every carrier.

But New York International?...I must admit, I've never heard of this airline. Why this retro logo with what appears to be an airline without a fleet of any kind.
Google searches turned up ZERO photos of any New York International jetliners or propliner photos.

Can anyone provide some clarity?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

GuruJanitor

Re: JetBlue A320 New York Intl Retro Jet

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:26 pm

That's because it wasn't a real airline. The livery was completely made up by JetBlue's design firm, and the "New York International" titles were just added to clearly connect them to the area. Its also why its White Blue and Orange, New York City's colors.

B6 explains the design here:
http://blog.jetblue.com/old-blue-introd ... -retrojet/

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 pm

GuruJanitor wrote:
That's because it wasn't a real airline. The livery was completely made up by JetBlue's design firm, and the "New York International" titles were just added to clearly connect them to the area. Its also why its White Blue and Orange, New York City's colors.

Oh jeez, thanks man. You can probably guess that I'm not the only AvFan wondering (or actually believing as some do I'm sure) or just assuming that like other retro logos are just that...an actual past design flown by a defunct carrier.

But yeah, the tail design is a hint that 'something's up' ...as all retro logojets sport the actual retro tail design. Also out of a minimum of 50+ trips to NYC, I would lose my shirt on a Jeopardy! question regarding New York City's colors.

Much appreciated for the clarity!
BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Cointrin330

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 pm

GuruJanitor wrote:

Correct indeed. B6 was founded in the late 1990s and launched commercial flights in 2000 from JFK to 3 destinations in upstate NY and several cities in Florida (FLL, MCO, TPA I believe were the first). The airline is based in New York and this is a heritage retro livery but the design and the name are not associated with any prior airline. The design was to emphasize B6's New York roots and use the colors of the flaf of the State of NY.

N766UA

Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 pm

It’s a retro jet based on a past that jetblue imagined for itself, not an actual airline that really existed. It’s actually kind if clever, I think.

spacecadet

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:01 pm

BN747 wrote:
But yeah, the tail design is a hint that 'something's up' ...as all retro logojets sport the actual retro tail design. Also out of a minimum of 50+ trips to NYC, I would lose my shirt on a Jeopardy! question regarding New York City's colors.

I used to know a guy who refused to consider the Jets a New York team because they were the only major sports franchise that didn't use some variation on New York colors (though red and orange are used in different degrees interchangeably). Think about it - even teams of the past used at least a subset of these colors. Nowadays you have the Brooklyn Nets not using these colors either, but that might be one reason they haven't been fully accepted as a NY team (ironically they looked more like a NY team when they were in New Jersey).

I think most New Yorkers know the city's colors sort of instinctively.

However, the blog post about the retrojet doesn't actually mention this... but it's probably why JetBlue chose these colors for their main corporate identity to begin with. You probably don't associate orange with JetBlue but it is their accent color even on their modern branding. Go to their web site and browse around; you'll see it pretty much immediately. So the retrojet is just a reshuffling of the colors they already use.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 pm

spacecadet wrote:
BN747 wrote:

I used to know a guy who refused to consider the Jets a New York team because they were the only major sports franchise that didn't use some variation on New York colors (though red and orange are used in different degrees interchangeably). Think about it - even teams of the past used at least a subset of these colors. Nowadays you have the Brooklyn Nets not using these colors either, but that might be one reason they haven't been fully accepted as a NY team (ironically they looked more like a NY team when they were in New Jersey).

However, the blog post about the retrojet doesn't actually mention this... but it's probably why JetBlue chose these colors for their main corporate identity to begin with. You probably don't associate orange with JetBlue but it is their accent color even on their modern branding. Go to their web site and browse around; you'll see it pretty much immediately. So the retrojet is just a reshuffling of the colors they already use.

More insight into the story, thanks for sharing that.

BN747

jaybird

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:49 pm

The body looks like British Caledonian.

GuruJanitor

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:24 pm

spacecadet wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Good catch, I must have just automatically assumed the orange was a nod to NYC, since its just an accent in their corporate palette.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos