User avatar
CarbonFibre
Topic Author
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Wen did they switch to solid black titles without the scratches and wobbly edges?
 
User avatar
itripreport
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 pm

I've noticed that too, but only seems to be on repaints. Looks completely cheap compared to their scribbly livery.
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Topic Author
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Also, the engines now have the web address instead of the bare fare slogan.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3652
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Probably simpler/cheaper to apply. I think it looks better because if you didn’t know the scribble look was intentional, you’d think it was just a bad paint job.
 
ScottB
Posts: 6620
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:25 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 pm

itripreport wrote:
I've noticed that too, but only seems to be on repaints. Looks completely cheap compared to their scribbly livery.


Every livery they've had since the blocks has looked cheap. The multicolor S on the tail bore an unfortunate resemblance to a hurricane, especially given their presence in FLL and the Caribbean. The yellow-and-black taxicab livery looks cheap because it is. The scribbly titles didn't seem like they'd age well with respect to wear or brand image.
 
santi319
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:29 pm

I say time for a new livery altogether!!

Orange would be cool!
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9424
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Spirit has dropped the scribbly look period (see their website). That has only happened in the past month or two.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15393
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:54 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Wen did they switch to solid black titles without the scratches and wobbly edges?


Someone I know at NK has said the changes were part of a minor branding tweak, intended to eliminate certain brand elements that didn't look "professional."

Take that for what you will.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:12 pm

This is N906NK seen here in February and ferried April 6, 2019 TLS-KEF-DTW. Was it still in that livery last Saturday?

 
n7371f
Posts: 1559
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:16 am

The entire livery is cheap. And so too are the uniforms. Bumble Bee Air.
 
WesYan
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:34 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
This is N906NK seen here in February and ferried April 6, 2019 TLS-KEF-DTW. Was it still in that livery last Saturday?




N906NK was built in January 2018, but was stored after the engine issues with the Pratts at the time. The change to solid title must be new to 2019.
 
airjamaica
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 am

Honestly I am not a fan of NK, but I do like their newest livery. Bright, bold & in your face. I think their objective with this "yellow" livery was to ensure that it easily grabs attention ... which it does. I disliked their previous 2 liveries, especially the "black" one. Enough of the Euro-white liveries with billboard font already. At least NK now sports a very bright colour. Regarding the title, I much prefer the "scribble"over the solid one. But love NK or hate them, they are obviously doing something right & I don't mind their presence in the market place to be honest.
airjamaica
 
User avatar
CarbonFibre
Topic Author
Posts: 556
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 am

521NK is sporting the 2019 version if anyone is interested. Don't think there are any shots in the database yet.
 
Blankbarcode
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:10 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
521NK is sporting the 2019 version if anyone is interested. Don't think there are any shots in the database yet.



Correct, you can see it here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=n521nk& ... EHu_ELLZVM:

Oof, didn't expect the difference to be that significant but I like this one quite a bit less.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:39 am

airjamaica wrote:
Honestly I am not a fan of NK, but I do like their newest livery. Bright, bold & in your face. I think their objective with this "yellow" livery was to ensure that it easily grabs attention ... which it does. I disliked their previous 2 liveries, especially the "black" one. Enough of the Euro-white liveries with billboard font already. At least NK now sports a very bright colour. Regarding the title, I much prefer the "scribble"over the solid one. But love NK or hate them, they are obviously doing something right & I don't mind their presence in the market place to be honest.


I agree. I am not Spirit’s demographic nor have I ever set foot on one of their planes, but I really like the yellow and black look. At least it’s something unique and different. The previous look was incredibly cheap and uninspired.

The mosaic look was cool, and they maybe could have developed that theme into something better, but that was back when Spirit was a very different airline.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
airjamaica
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:20 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:33 am

intotheair wrote:
I agree. I am not Spirit’s demographic nor have I ever set foot on one of their planes, but I really like the yellow and black look. At least it’s something unique and different. The previous look was incredibly cheap and uninspired.

The mosaic look was cool, and they maybe could have developed that theme into something better, but that was back when Spirit was a very different airline.


Very true. They dared to be different & somehow managed to pull it off. That yellow fuselage stand out at any airport. Yes I also agree that if they had tweaked the mosaic livery it would have probably grown on me. I definitely wasn't a fan of the "colourful hurricane" tail livery iteration. Lol.
airjamaica
 
VC10er
Posts: 4070
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:05 am

I actually hated the “distressed” or scratched livery. It was probably done to look cool, or something.
Spirit has a very clear, crisp brand. Cheap. ULC. Among many ULC’s. I think they WANT to be the TAXI airline and safety take folks from A to B.

I really have hated ALL their liveries ever since I noticed them 20 some odd years ago- they had NO CLUE WHO THEY WERE- AND IT SHOWED. Especially vs Southwest, Frontier and Jet Blue.

Today, I notice them in a flash. It is NOT a livery meant to like. It’s extremely functional in nature. I HATED the junior designer mosaic. Trying to have some style and modernity. FLOP! It was a dirty (as in unwashed look) from a distance and was depressing. I know the team who did it. Then they did a 360 turn and tried happy/colorful with haggered Nike, Capital One swoosh’s which was a hack job.

I do NOT like this all yellow and black, nor do I hate it. It says EXACTLY what they want everyone to know. It is an inexpensive, no frills airline that I might take to save money- provided they have solved their operational issues. Everyone said they were totally unreliable. (I do not know the facts) but the cracks in the “”SPIRIT” only served to reinforce my negative impressions. They don’t have anything sexy about them, and that in and of itself is indeed an idea, a strategy. They are not being creative with the Southwest landscape and love (ala: the heart), or reflective of the amazing beautiful wildlife of North America like Frontier or GROOVY like JetBlue.

A TAXI WITH WINGS. I think it’s a good no BS approach and the yellow aircraft are simply flying ads that are very disruptive. The more deliveries they take, the more ads in the sky!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.
 
timf
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:36 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:31 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
521NK is sporting the 2019 version if anyone is interested. Don't think there are any shots in the database yet.

I did find at least one in the revised livery here.

 
Beechtobus
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:
Wen did they switch to solid black titles without the scratches and wobbly edges?


I believe the “tweak” was announced October, maybe November of last year with the first of the “polished” yellow and black livery coming out in December, maybe January of this year. A number of other marketing refinements came out including accent colors (namely teal and white) in marketing materials and advertising, getting rid of the “Home of the Bare Fare” and associated marketing, and a push to refine interaction between frontline employees and customers . The idea was to appear more professional, simple, and family friendly, and for Spirit not exclude themselves from attracting business travelers. Think of it as Spirit going from Ryanair to Easyjet. (I know Ryanair had its own refinement in image a few years ago as well just not to the degree of Spirit’s recent refinement).

This tweak essentially ended the last vestiges of the Ben Baldanza era of downright raunchy advertising and marketing which got progressively tamer and tamer over the last 7 or so years. No disrespect to Baldanza, that man is a genius in my eyes, Spirit would be but an insignificant blip on “departedflights.com” if not for him. His marketing ideas/approvals were considered a bit off base to say the least, albiet effective in getting people to notice that little risqué airline that did.

I’m really not sure why some of the new planes are coming off the line with the old scraggly paint (though lacking the Bare Fare motto on the engines). I know that there is a bit a lead time between an airline and manufacturer. I’m guessing that the frames coming out were painted prior to the “tweak”.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 6387
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:37 pm

WesYan wrote:
N906NK was built in January 2018, but was stored after the engine issues with the Pratts at the time. The change to solid title must be new to 2019.


True, but it could have gone through a title change before delivery to reflect the revised corporate ID. Apparently the change began last year already.

timf wrote:
I did find at least one in the revised livery here.


So apparently N515NK was the first.
 
User avatar
DL752
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:30 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 pm

Branding is brilliant. You know it’s either them or DHL in the air. Ha

I’ve always wondered why the inside of the winglet says “Howdy”.

At first I thought they had different sayings on them. Different words for “hello”.

Anyone know why howdy was chosen?

DL752 :airplane:
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:50 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
DL752 wrote:
Branding is brilliant. You know it’s either them or DHL in the air. Ha

I’ve always wondered why the inside of the winglet says “Howdy”.

At first I thought they had different sayings on them. Different words for “hello”.

Anyone know why howdy was chosen?

DL752 :airplane:


Good question. Friendly and folksy maybe. Howdy is somewhat odd for an airline that started in Detroit, is based in Miramar (Miami essentially), has a large Latin American and Caribbean presence, and while having a decent Texas presence, isn’t overly Texas centric.

I do think different greetings would have been cool (Hola, Bonjour, Sak Pase, Hi, etc), but I suppose if only one is to be used, Howdy works as good as any.
 
Woodreau
Posts: 1788
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:44 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:41 pm

WesYan wrote:
N906NK was built in January 2018, but was stored after the engine issues with the Pratts at the time. The change to solid title must be new to 2019.


It was in storage only because the original purchaser?/buyer declined to take delivery of the aircraft. Spirit took over the 5 aircraft (906/907/912/913/915) from the original airline. Tianjin Airlines I believe.

Airbus spent the last half of 2018, converting the 5 aircraft to Spirit specifications, and removing the items that was installed for Tianjin. i.e. cockpit and cabin video cameras, cargo heat, etc.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.
 
OB1504
Posts: 3652
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Personally, I’d love it if they started painting airplanes different colors like Braniff did.

Beechtobus wrote:
DL752 wrote:
Branding is brilliant. You know it’s either them or DHL in the air. Ha

I’ve always wondered why the inside of the winglet says “Howdy”.

At first I thought they had different sayings on them. Different words for “hello”.

Anyone know why howdy was chosen?

DL752 :airplane:


Good question. Friendly and folksy maybe. Howdy is somewhat odd for an airline that started in Detroit, is based in Miramar (Miami essentially), has a large Latin American and Caribbean presence, and while having a decent Texas presence, isn’t overly Texas centric.

I do think different greetings would have been cool (Hola, Bonjour, Sak Pase, Hi, etc), but I suppose if only one is to be used, Howdy works as good as any.


Isn’t the “Howdy” being removed too?

From a marketing standpoint, putting the airline name or website there would be a better idea since the winglet is usually visible in photos passengers post on social media.
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 pm

OB1504 wrote:

Isn’t the “Howdy” being removed too?


All of the ones I’ve seen in the modified paint with Sharklets still have the “Howdy”
 
User avatar
DL752
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:30 am

Re: Spirit livery question

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:55 am

OB1504 wrote:
Personally, I’d love it if they started painting airplanes different colors like Braniff did.

Beechtobus wrote:
DL752 wrote:
Branding is brilliant. You know it’s either them or DHL in the air. Ha

I’ve always wondered why the inside of the winglet says “Howdy”.

At first I thought they had different sayings on them. Different words for “hello”.

Anyone know why howdy was chosen?

DL752 :airplane:


Good question. Friendly and folksy maybe. Howdy is somewhat odd for an airline that started in Detroit, is based in Miramar (Miami essentially), has a large Latin American and Caribbean presence, and while having a decent Texas presence, isn’t overly Texas centric.

I do think different greetings would have been cool (Hola, Bonjour, Sak Pase, Hi, etc), but I suppose if only one is to be used, Howdy works as good as any.


Isn’t the “Howdy” being removed too?

From a marketing standpoint, putting the airline name or website there would be a better idea since the winglet is usually visible in photos passengers post on social media.


Website shows an updated “Howdy” in the solid font as well.

DL752 :airplane:
 
TwinStarRocket
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Spirit livery question

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:46 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Probably simpler/cheaper to apply. I think it looks better because if you didn’t know the scribble look was intentional, you’d think it was just a bad paint job.


The 'cat scratch' SPIRIT was actually more expensive to produce than a 'clean' SPIRIT but that wasn't the driving factor. As stated previously we're in the process of changing our image, our customer interface, and our product. The Disney Institute has been on property for a year or so improving our customer interaction and the results have been astounding. We've brought the marketing out of the pre-teen crude jokes era and are appealing to adults looking for cheap. We currently have three different brands of seats and will be replacing them all with a more comfortable seat in black with yellow trim. The carpets, runners, and dividers will be replaced to black/yellow as well. And like it or not the uniforms are staying and the pilots will be changing over from the US Airways inspired blue/silver to a black/gold supposedly by the end of the year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos