Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Phoenix757767

Re: AA300 JFK-LAX Hits object on takeoff!

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:56 am

Just got an update and a pic, Airbus isn’t working the plane to fix a decision hasn’t been made.

“ No, we are putting the panels back on, Airbus may replace the wing. $20 million for wing vs $60 write off.”

If someone tells me how to upload the pic I will.

Ishrion

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Phoenix757767 wrote:
Just got an update and a pic, Airbus isn’t working the plane to fix a decision hasn’t been made.

“ No, we are putting the panels back on, Airbus may replace the wing. $20 million for wing vs $60 write off.”

Upload it to imgur or something then copy the link address and paste it in the picture option in advanced options

Phoenix757767

Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Here is the photo I hope.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psgcfrad8ns54 ... 9.jpg?dl=0

A/C 796 Its in the hanger @ JFK Wing is bent several inches up and also aft. Plane barely has 18,000 hrs.

USAirKid

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:24 am

Phoenix757767 wrote:

$60 write off? I’d buy a A321 for three Jacksons.

Is this the first proposed wing replacement in a while? The last (only?) one I can think of was the DC-9 wing that Ozark purchased from Air Canada’s plane destroyed by fire at CVG.

Phoenix757767

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:22 am

USAirKid wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Is this the first proposed wing replacement in a while? The last (only?) one I can think of was the DC-9 wing that Ozark purchased from Air Canada’s plane destroyed by fire at CVG.

$60 million

Francoflier

Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 am

I doubt a 5 year old A321 is worth $60mil, but I'd say it's still worth more than $20mil...

Interesting case for the write-off experts of A.net.
:duck:
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

9w748capt

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 am

How does a wing bend like that on takeoff? Just asking as an interested observer, no agenda or anything. I hope this question is ok to ask.

D L X

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:54 am

9w748capt wrote:
How does a wing bend like that on takeoff? Just asking as an interested observer, no agenda or anything. I hope this question is ok to ask.

You drag it on the ground, hit surface structures, then accelerate in the air and climb to 20,000 feet before returning to base 35 minutes later.

Capn

Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:19 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Phoenix757767 wrote:

Just for clarity. It. Was the original Republic Airlines ( RC ), that put that DC-9-30 together with Ozark fuselage and Air Canada wings. We got our moneys worth out of it.
I flew it many times and I could never trim it out properly, other than that it was another great DC-9.
Probably just me, I only had about 17,000 hours on DC-9s

Capn
UH-1 DEHAVILAND HERON MARTIN 404 DC-9 CHALLENGER 601 FALCON 50 & 900EX

o0OOO0oChris

Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Capn wrote:
I flew it many times and I could never trim it out properly, other than that it was another great DC-9.
Probably just me, I only had about 17,000 hours on DC-9s
Capn

That got me thinking. A wing bent several inches in different directions should lead to a considerable handling problem. The pilots stated over the air that it flies fine. So I recon that the Airbus FBW took care of the deteriorated characteristics and it flew just as the pilots where used to?

HIA350 wrote:
o0OOO0oChris wrote:
I am suprised about the remarkable silence after this serious incident. No real details from the NTSB or did I miss it?

The NTSB should have a very good idea on what happened now. I didn`t see any AD regarding this incident. If this was really an uncommanded roll due to a computer error, an AD or warning should have been published by now to warn all A321 operators? So the absence should be an indication for a non-airframe related cause?

Computer error? computer acts on input by the pilot is an HMI - if wrong weights where input then this could be the case not a reason to panic or call any other a321 operators since this is the only one of its case, or prove me wrong

I think you didn`t understand the point I wanted to make.

In Airbus case, the computer also acts on sensor inputs only. So there is the risk that human input is overriden by the FCPC due to sensor garbage or tech failures. I think that`s what the uncommanded roll claim by the pilots are pointing to.

There was that QF A330 dive due to a cpu creating garbage. That was communicated fast to the operators.

If this unauthorized runway sign removal was a case of technical-/computer failure, my assumption is that operators would have been informed about the nature of the problem and how to avoid it. And I think that -as no AD came out - a technical problem is not likely and pilot error may be the main issue here.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos