xwb777
Topic Author

Srilankan aims to be the next 'Emirates'

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:10 am

Srilanka's national airline, Srilankan has revealed its plans to become a global player through a 5 year turnaround plan. The plan will be focusing on developing a hub and spoke network rather than a point to point strategy.
Srilankan is trying to match Emirates business model with its hub ane spoke network model. The newly formulated plan (2019-2024) will enable the airline to transfor itself from loss making into a viable profit making business.

What is the airline planning?

* renovation of Colombo airport
* target connecting passengers
* leverage their oneworld membership to develop their network
* New fleet order
* reconfigure existing fleet
* improve customer service
* increase employee engagement

Will the airline succeed in implementing the plan?

Source: simpleflying.com
Last edited by xwb777 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

anshabhi

Re: Srilankan aims to be the next 'Emirates'

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:15 am

2024: SriLankan files for bankruptcy.

69bug

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:20 am

Good luck with that. Emirates hunk and spoke works because of its location in the middle of the Europe/Africa and Asia routes. Colombo is too near Asia.

piedmontf284000

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:21 am

I thought April Fool's Day was last week

kjeld0d

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 am

Didn't realize they had state oil wealth to support such a project...or even the daily output. From Wikipedia: The Ceylon Petroleum Corporation has a production output of 50,000bbl/d. That's 50 747 sorties of 10 hours each, assuming the rest of the nation does without petroleum.

nipkow

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:27 am

Many Airlines have a H&S network - however, not considering themselves as „the next Emirates“. I wonder if they only refer to the next Emirates because of the H&S asset.

aviationbuff

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:42 am

“What the country needs are buses and not air buses.” was said when they cancelled A350 XWB deal.

SriLankan was decent to good when Emirates was managing it. Emirates also had plans to make Colombo their second hub. However, then government did not renew the contract with Emirates as they sought greater control of the airline's day-to-day business, after a dispute between the two parties and the Sri Lankan government cancelled the work permit of the airline's then CEO Peter Hill in a dispute involving seats for then President Mahinda Rajapakse on a London-Colombo flight. The downhill ride started.

c933103

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:44 am

Another attempt to revive Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport?
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

c933103

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:00 am

nipkow wrote:
Many Airlines have a H&S network - however, not considering themselves as „the next Emirates“. I wonder if they only refer to the next Emirates because of the H&S asset.

The source say they want to become a "financially viable organization airline group with high brand visibility and a global reputation for excellence" and are targeting passengers connecting through Africa, Asia and the Middle East, in a bid to grow as big as rival airline Emirates.

DocGATTACA

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 am

69bug wrote:
Good luck with that. Emirates hunk and spoke works because of its location in the middle of the Europe/Africa and Asia routes. Colombo is too near Asia.

Colombo is in Asia :smile:

It might work for flights from Europe to Australia and parts of SE Asia or from Africa to East or SE Asia. Definitely a long shot though.

FrenchPotatoEye

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:39 am

Haha very funny! SriLankan couldn't arrange a drunk session in a bar!

Besides, who the hell in their right mind would want to connect in Calumbo when so many better airports ecsist?

J343

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 am

LOL. Is this some kind of joke? It's good to be ambitious but UL just don't have the finances to be the next Emirates. They should just focus on being a regional player with a good global brand outlook. Their soft product isn't bad at all. They should first invest in CMB. It's such a poor airport to transit to.

Geoff1947

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 am

Someone should tell them the earth isn’t flat ! Apart from being in the wrong place they don’t have the money or the expertise to make a go of this.

Geoff

planesarecool

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:23 am

With so many CEOs and experts on this forum, at least they know where to find their new management.

scbriml

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 am

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having ambition. But that ambition should be realistic if it has any chance to be realised.

Given their history, it's difficult to see how an airline with 24 planes can become a 'global player'. And yes, while EK only had 24 planes at one point, Srilankan is a long way from being EK-like. I wish them luck because the country would benefit greatly from a successful airline, but I won't be holding my breath.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

bennett123

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

How many A380 do they want?.

TheEuphorian

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:10 am

Maybe start from doing short-haul connections like India to Indonesia, as an example, before fighting EK and the ME3 on the Europe to Asia/Australia market.

MIflyer12

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:28 am

Google News has been offering many SimpleFlying.com articles of late. They are routinely just garbage. Amateur.

FrancisBegbie

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:38 am

Are they listed somewhere? I am suddenly interested in buying put-options in their shares.

c933103

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 am

Better news sources on the same event:
http://www.colombopage.com/archive_19A/ ... 3903CH.php
https://economynext.com/New_SriLankan_A ... 13970.html
Also, another maybe somewhat related news about the company's ownership:
https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/s ... ed-company
http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2019 ... ons-claim/
MIflyer12 wrote:
Google News has been offering many SimpleFlying.com articles of late. They are routinely just garbage. Amateur.

Google have been adjusting its algorithm to reward sites that format content in a good way, and that usually mean sites that are dedicated to capture views instead of sites that are dedicated to creating content, which is probably also why there are so many content farm results in google search result pages

lightsaber

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 am

Emirates identified a hole in the market as China and Russia opened air space. The gap in Asia sir travel is now served by EK, TK, QR, and EY.

I'm trying to figure the hole in the market not filled by the above or SQ. The advantage for a new hub is to use shorter flight economics to fill connections. Where is Srilankan doing so? AirAsia X has ambitions that limit feed.

If India ever has enough airports drop the 30% fuel tax, they'll do their own hubbing.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Bricktop

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:52 am

Time for an A380neo thread!

And people think B6 is nuts for starting LON?

gunsontheroof

Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm

scbriml wrote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having ambition. But that ambition should be realistic if it has any chance to be realised.

Given their history, it's difficult to see how an airline with 24 planes can become a 'global player'. And yes, while EK only had 24 planes at one point, Srilankan is a long way from being EK-like. I wish them luck because the country would benefit greatly from a successful airline, but I won't be holding my breath.

Well-put. It certainly took EK more than five years to become a player and many more to become a powerhouse. EK was still making steps towards their current form when I joined this site...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

cschleic

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:22 pm

c933103 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Google have been adjusting its algorithm to reward sites that format content in a good way, and that usually mean sites that are dedicated to capture views instead of sites that are dedicated to creating content, which is probably also why there are so many content farm results in google search result pages

Seems true. How much of the EK reference came from the article writer vs. the company itself? The real story may be more modest.

WPvsMW

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 pm

My reading between the lines: The only source of funding (if the plan is implemented) is Chinese, exactly like the port infrastructure in Sri Lanka (huge port expansion, Chinese loans, SL govt can't service debt, Chinese take 99 year lease, a la Brits in Hong Kong, only that was 150 years).
Why would CAAC want a hub in CMB?

andrefranca

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Have flown them once, they can't get %^^ together.... what a joke!

CALMSP

Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:46 pm

would love to see it increase, but dang, the airport needs to be bulldozed and start over, it is such a piece of crap. Transferred through there on the way to MLE a few years ago.

Waterbomber2

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm

I don't know why there is so much sarcasm about this?
If you look at how much A380-capable infrastructure they are building, it looks like they are gearing up to add at least a dozen of them.
The positioning of Colombo is not too bad, they can cover the Indian, South East Asia and Kangaroo route quite well.
Being government-owned and given the government's strong motivation for growth, the sky is the limit.
Even if they don't make money as an airline, if they succeed in stimulating the local economy through the creation of direct and indirect jobs, it will be mission accomplished.

Something to follow.

c933103

Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 pm

cschleic wrote:
c933103 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Seems true. How much of the EK reference came from the article writer vs. the company itself? The real story may be more modest.

Indeed, neither articles mentioned the word "Emirates", although “A key aspect of the Strategic Business Plan includes developing a route network to match customer demand and market opportunities, including new destinations in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, the Far East and Australia, as opposed to the current limited point-to-point strategy.” is still indicating a pretty ambitious prospect for them.

Devilfish

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

xwb777 wrote:
* New fleet order

bennett123 wrote:
How many A380 do they want?.

On pain of being bashed, make that A338...at least they'd be in good company for considering it..... :duck: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... nt-457311/

Quote:
"In 2018, United chief financial officer Gerry Laderman outlined how, in addition to the 737 Max and 787s on order, it was also looking at the Boeing New Mid-market Airplane (NMA) as well as the Airbus A330-800 and A321LR for the segment."

Cheaper than the A350 though slightly more expensive than the A333 below.... :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: ......

https://airbus-h.assetsadobe2.com/is/im ... 1&qlt=85,0

A bit more efficient than the above...would get them farther afield with a decent payload...and would look great in their livery..... :bigthumbsup:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

dredgy

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Didn’t they literally used to be Emirates’ south Asian arm? And I believe they were consistently profitable at the time.
Then the government started meddling and Emirates pulled out.

So the airline has proven with good management it can succeed...

Flew them MEL to CMB in September and actually enjoyed my flight. It was packed in both classes (though they were selling discount upgrades at the check in desk). I flew them in 2011 on a one and a half hour flight DXB-KWI and I think it still ranks as my worst flight of all time.

Devilfish

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm

A little correction..... :embarrassed2: .....

Devilfish wrote:
Much cheaper than the A350 and slightly less costly than the A333 below.... :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: ......

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... lease.html

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CMB-ALG%2F ... =wls&DU=nm
Last edited by Devilfish on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

lightsaber

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm

dredgy wrote:
Didn’t they literally used to be Emirates’ south Asian arm? And I believe they were consistently profitable at the time.
Then the government started meddling and Emirates pulled out.

So the airline has proven with good management it can succeed...

Flew them MEL to CMB in September and actually enjoyed my flight. It was packed in both classes (though they were selling discount upgrades at the check in desk). I flew them in 2011 on a one and a half hour flight DXB-KWI and I think it still ranks as my worst flight of all time.

With good management it could be a small success.

With government cronyism, no chance. What they were isn't what they are.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos