WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:43 pm

9W has failed. 9W codeshares removed from SkyTeam members' inventory. DL has a commitment to serve India in 2019. Who will replace 9W as the SkyTeam partner? The dramatis personæ are, ordered by probability (IMO):

p=0.20 6E. IndiGo. LCC. Y only. Codeshares with TK. Profitable. Largest operator in India by fleet size and traffic. 1 A321 in service and 149 ordered. 72 A320 in service and 219 ordered. Braintrust includes Rakesh Gangwal, expat Indian living in the States.

p=0.10. SG. SpiceJet. LCC, Y only. No codeshares. Profitable. Fleet of B737s and Dashes ... can't leap into longhaul international overnight, as needed by SkyTeam

p=0.05 UK. Vistara. Hybrid. W, Y. Codeshares with BA, SG, MI (Silk Air), and JL. Privately held (Tata Sons and SIA). A320 fleet with a few A321s and B739s ordered. Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be a full service carrier. Time to reapply?

Add p=0.80 to any of the above if you feel lucky. :D

Conclusion: SkyTeam's India strategy just vaporized.
 
bennett123
Posts: 8916
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm

How about AI?.
 
aldrigsomandre
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:30 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 pm

bennett123 wrote:
How about AI?.


Isn't AI a Star Alliance member?
 
winginit
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:52 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Conclusion: SkyTeam's India strategy just vaporized.


Did it? What glaring network holes are you seeing that aren't covered by existing SkyTeam carriers like AF, KL, KE, MU, SV, etc.?
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7075
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Delta.com is not showing any options for DTW-HYD, but Skyscanner showing Vistara on KLM stock.

I think KLM will go daily 789 to BOM and up-guage DEL to 787-10.

Keep in mind this is not SkyTeam's issue. *A has the same issue. UA/LH never had a broad code-share agreement with AI.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
How about AI?.


Isn't AI a Star Alliance member?


Yes, AI is *A, so not a candidate for SkyTeam.

Ed, Glen, and Vinay must have something in the works, now much longer term than 9W's planned leap into hyperdrive, which turned into a steep dive into a gravity well. ;)
 
x1234
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm

There is no new partner. Also they need AFKL to fill in the slack for the 9W capacity. KL immediately should fly daily AMS-BOM instead of just 3x weekly and launch AMS-BLR complementing the AF CDG-BLR flight.
 
Someone83
Posts: 4320
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Were/Is Jet a Skyteam partner, or do they just partnering with some Skyteam members?

Some Skyteam members could benefit from a partner in India, but mainly for feed and to link other major Indian cities to they network. But this hasn't have to be done alliance explicit. We also see a lot of cooperations across alliances these days

As an example, Air France-KLM can just codeshare with Etihad via AUH to have most major cities covered
 
jensona6
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:15 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 pm

My quick bets go on with Vistara as they're the only airline that might be easily able to fill up the void of J and Y+ passengers travelling to/from India with DL-KL-AF. As AF/KL are already operating flights to DEL, BOM, BLR it might be easy for them to connect passengers to other metro-cities via Vistara.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Long haul is half (or less) of the equation. SkyTeam's growth in India depends upon feed to long-haul, esp.feed to the putatitve DL JFK.[ATL]/BOM.[DEL] non-stop(s).
 
FSDan
Posts: 2565
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:35 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Conclusion: SkyTeam's India strategy just vaporized.


No doubt - 9W was very strategically important to DL/AF/KL as far as serving secondary destinations in India was concerned. I'm interested to see how they respond. If DL hadn't done their best to burn all bridges with the ME3, I'd say their best option would be a codeshare with EK from DXB to their South Asian destinations, along with a resumption of ATL-DXB on DL metal and an addition of DL's code on EK's flights from SEA, LAX, JFK, and BOS to DXB. That option is probably wayyy off the table, though... :duck:
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 pm

WWAAAYYY off the table... :D :D
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 pm

jensona6 wrote:
My quick bets go on with Vistara as they're the only airline that might be easily able to fill up the void of J and Y+ passengers travelling to/from India with DL-KL-AF. As AF/KL are already operating flights to DEL, BOM, BLR it might be easy for them to connect passengers to other metro-cities via Vistara.


UK would be a the best fit, given their goal of being a full service carrier, but also the most problematic, given SG is in the *A trimumverate. Can DL and AF/KL navigate the politics of the 49% owner of UK also operating SG? Temasek Holdings, 56% owner of SIA and therefore of SG, is pragmatic (synonymous with "Singaporean"), however, so UK as a SkyTeam member is plausible. But likely? Is Vinay meeting with Tata Sons? Where's the LiveMint story? :D :D
 
Airlines0613
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm

Vistara is a joint-venture owned by SQ and Tata Group, it’s highly unlikely for them to join SkyTeam. If they were to join an alliance, it would be Star Alliance because of SQ’s influence in the airline.
 
User avatar
Spiderguy252
Posts: 1089
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
p=0.05 UK. Vistara. Hybrid. W, Y. Codeshares with BA, SG, MI (Silk Air), and JL. Privately held (Tata Sons and SIA). A320 fleet with a few A321s and B739s ordered. Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be a full service carrier. Time to reapply?


Where are you getting this stuff from? :confused:
Vahroone
 
EddieDude
Posts: 6974
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:28 pm

When is the deadline for potential investors to deliver their offers for a stake in Jet?
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7075
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:46 pm

My take on the SkyTeam dilemma, ie., not knowing the next Bollywood act of JetFiasco.

[email protected] would be a better partner for DL/VS feed. Sure not as good as AMS but AI can offer more non-stops to India from LHR. It has DEL/BOM/BLR/AMD-LHR and planning MAA/HYD-LHR.

That actually matches one-stops offered by One World with 5 India x 20 North America combinations.

There is no trusting domestic partner in India and domestic RJs in the USA. Both are equally bad. If SkyTeam cares about PaxEx, skip both.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:51 pm

Well AFKL already code shares with Vistara so that's something still.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:46 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
p=0.05 UK. Vistara. Hybrid. W, Y. Codeshares with BA, SG, MI (Silk Air), and JL. Privately held (Tata Sons and SIA). A320 fleet with a few A321s and B739s ordered. Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be a full service carrier. Time to reapply?

Where are you getting this stuff from? :confused:



Thanks for catching that... distracted when posting. Should read, "Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be an international carrier. Time to reapply?
https://www.rediff.com/money/report/in- ... 181231.htm

That link also states that UK has (as of Dec. 2018) had 3 consecutive years of losses. How reliable is rediff as a source? IDK, with statements like "The Tata Group owns AirAsia India and Vistara."

As for the B739 order: Aditi Shah, Jamie Freed (2018-07-11). "Vistara orders Boeing, Airbus jets worth $3.1 billion in growth plan". in.reuters.com.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistara#c ... NewJets-56
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
Well AFKL already code shares with Vistara so that's something still.


Another barrier to UK partnering with SkyTeam is that flights on UK earn KrisFlyer miles, and there are unusual joint promotions by SG and UK, such as:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/in/p ... romo-jun17

I haven't seen a similar promotion by DL with a partner. IDK about AF/KL.
 
avier
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:45 am

WPvsMW wrote:

p=0.20 6E. IndiGo. LCC. Y only. Codeshares with TK. Profitable. Largest operator in India by fleet size and traffic. 1 A321 in service and 149 ordered. 72 A320 in service and 219 ordered. Braintrust includes Rakesh Gangwal, expat Indian living in the States.


Your data is way off.
Current fleet:
130 A320Ceo (inducting more on lease)
72 A320Neo ( 218 on order)
15 ATR 72 (35 on order)
1 A321 Neo (149 order)
 
VTCIE
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:10 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:06 am

@WPvsMW: Please get your codes right. SG is used in general to refer to Singapore, like LA for Los Angeles, but as far as this forum is concerned it stands for the Indian low-cost carrier SpiceJet, which is unlikely to co-operate with a full-service carrier any time soon, let alone join SkyTeam. The 6E-TK co-operation is only insofar as connectivity to Europe is concerned; as long as SG does not start flights to Europe, there is no question of it codesharing with a European airline.

Singapore Airlines is SQ, not SG. Even though it owns Vistara, Vistara cannot join Star because AI is there. Vistara has codeshares with BA and JAL so it is more likely to join Oneworld. SkyTeam barely has an Indian presence anyway. SkyTeam members fly mainly only to BOM and DEL, and AF flies to BLR (SV has a few once-weekly flights to other cities). AF ought to start MAA as soon as possible given 9W’s impending demise.
In grieving remembrance of the thousands of people who lost their lives on ET-AVJ, PK-LQP, XA-UHZ, S2-AGU, CP-2933, SU-GCC, EI-ETJ, D-AIPX, PK-AXC, 9M-MRD, VT-AXV and above all 9M-MRO, besides many more. Your deaths are not in vain. Safety first, always.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12411
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 am

FSDan wrote:
If DL hadn't done their best to burn all bridges with the ME3, I'd say their best option would be a codeshare with EK from DXB to their South Asian destinations, along with a resumption of ATL-DXB on DL metal and an addition of DL's code on EK's flights from SEA, LAX, JFK, and BOS to DXB. That option is probably wayyy off the table, though...

Corporations are not sentimental.

Heck, if terms could be agreed at the right share of revenue/reciprocity, then we could see such a deal tomorrow... and about the ONLY ones who'd actually be surprised, are AvGeeks.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:25 am

WPvsMW wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
p=0.05 UK. Vistara. Hybrid. W, Y. Codeshares with BA, SG, MI (Silk Air), and JL. Privately held (Tata Sons and SIA). A320 fleet with a few A321s and B739s ordered. Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be a full service carrier. Time to reapply?

Where are you getting this stuff from? :confused:



Thanks for catching that... distracted when posting. Should read, "Failed to obtain DGCA approval to be an international carrier. Time to reapply?
https://www.rediff.com/money/report/in- ... 181231.htm

That link also states that UK has (as of Dec. 2018) had 3 consecutive years of losses. How reliable is rediff as a source? IDK, with statements like "The Tata Group owns AirAsia India and Vistara."

As for the B739 order: Aditi Shah, Jamie Freed (2018-07-11). "Vistara orders Boeing, Airbus jets worth $3.1 billion in growth plan". in.reuters.com.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vistara#c ... NewJets-56


Firstly UK secured rights to fly international earlier this year. Secondly they orderer the 787-9 not 737.
Tata owns 51% in both JVs so effectively the article is not wrong
 
User avatar
SQ789
Posts: 631
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 pm

bennett123 wrote:
How about AI?.

Isn't AI is a member of Star Alliance?
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Yes, addressed upthread.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 pm

avier wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:

p=0.20 6E. IndiGo. LCC. Y only. Codeshares with TK. Profitable. Largest operator in India by fleet size and traffic. 1 A321 in service and 149 ordered. 72 A320 in service and 219 ordered. Braintrust includes Rakesh Gangwal, expat Indian living in the States.


Your data is way off.
Current fleet:
130 A320Ceo (inducting more on lease)
72 A320Neo ( 218 on order)
15 ATR 72 (35 on order)
1 A321 Neo (149 order)


Please update the Wikipedia article, which was the source of the data. :)
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:11 pm

VTCIE wrote:
@WPvsMW: Please get your codes right.

You're right... I had some codes right and some switched. Reprimand accepted.
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Firstly UK secured rights to fly international earlier this year. Secondly they orderer the 787-9 not 737.
Tata owns 51% in both JVs so effectively the article is not wrong


But UK is not yet flying internationally, but did secure final approval on 19 March 2019.
https://aeronauticsonline.com/vistara-r ... l-flights/

As for Tata "owning" UK and AirAsia India (not an IATA member), better journalism would use "owns 51%".
 
FSDan
Posts: 2565
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
FSDan wrote:
If DL hadn't done their best to burn all bridges with the ME3, I'd say their best option would be a codeshare with EK from DXB to their South Asian destinations, along with a resumption of ATL-DXB on DL metal and an addition of DL's code on EK's flights from SEA, LAX, JFK, and BOS to DXB. That option is probably wayyy off the table, though...

Corporations are not sentimental.

Heck, if terms could be agreed at the right share of revenue/reciprocity, then we could see such a deal tomorrow... and about the ONLY ones who'd actually be surprised, are AvGeeks.


I'd generally agree, but in this particular case DL has made such a fuss over the ME3 that I think even some members of the general public would notice. They've put out many public statements (including some probably read by millions of their customers in Sky magazine) talking about how the ME3 play unfairly, endanger American jobs, etc., etc.... After working for years to paint such a negative picture of the ME3, I don't think the bad blood would be forgotten so fast.

Stranger things have happened, but I won't hold out too much hope for this one.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5632
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Some times there isn't an obvious, good, available local partner.

In Delta's Dec 2017 Investor Day Presentation DL remarked on positions in major markets. India as a market from the U.S. ($3.3 Billion annually) ranked well below Germany ($4.3 Billion) and just ahead of Italy ($.32 Billion). Is any informed person breathlessly asserting that DL needs to spend $ Billions to prop up Alitalia to keep its position in the Italian market? New investments follow prospective returns. If the returns aren't found in the Indian market don't expect other carriers to participate. (That really ought to be the take-away from lack of investors in Jet Airways.)

https://s2.q4cdn.com/181345880/files/do ... y_2017.pdf
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:10 am

Ex-India traffic for DL may be smaller than Germany today, but look at the difference in population, DE vs. IN. DL (and SkyTeam) wanted 9W to feed India's coming international travel boom to SkyTeam. Back to x=0, y=0, z=0. Ed, Glen, and Vinay are in the huddle... but there's no Hail Mary. Has to be longer term... next year's championship.
https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... ir-chinese
See also:
https://hbr.org/2018/11/competing-in-th ... -and-india
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/03/asia/chi ... index.html

I don't think EY will throw a Hail Mary, either.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12411
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:24 am

FSDan wrote:
I'd generally agree, but in this particular case DL has made such a fuss over the ME3 that I think even some members of the general public would notice

And if they "notice," then what? ...they gonna then make the conscious decision to book more-expensive or less-convenient alternatives, out of sheer principal against hypocritical corporate opportunism?

Come now. :lol:

We both know it'd be a headline for one night, and chatter for a week at best; then the airlines would toss a fare sale or mileage bonus, the airport would rave about the big additional A380 coming to town-- and 0.00000001 percent of the populace would even remember the spat between the airlines, much less care, sufficiently to affect booking.



FSDan wrote:
Stranger things have happened, but I won't hold out too much hope for this one.

I on the other hand, would be shocked if it doesn't.

It's only a matter of time, especially for DL; this who-will-blink-first charade is par for the course for them, regarding carriers whom they wish to get with:
  • Public spat with AF over premium access circa 2001; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with KE over frequency allocation for the span of nearly two decades; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with ME3 over, well, their existence; _________. ;)
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:18 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
It's only a matter of time, especially for DL; this who-will-blink-first charade is par for the course for them, regarding carriers whom they wish to get with:
  • Public spat with AF over premium access circa 2001; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with KE over frequency allocation for the span of nearly two decades; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with ME3 over, well, their existence; _________. ;)


Good points, but IMO DL vs. ME3 is closer to the KE feud, which required a new CEO to patch up. AF was a lover's quarrel compared to DL vs. ME3, based on POTUS and Congressional involvement. A strained analogy, but DL vs. ME3 is more like a commercial Gulf War.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:46 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
It's only a matter of time, especially for DL; this who-will-blink-first charade is par for the course for them, regarding carriers whom they wish to get with:
  • Public spat with AF over premium access circa 2001; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with KE over frequency allocation for the span of nearly two decades; ATI then JV partners thereafter.
  • Public spat with ME3 over, well, their existence; _________. ;)


Good points, but IMO DL vs. ME3 is closer to the KE feud, which required a new CEO to patch up. AF was a lover's quarrel compared to DL vs. ME3, based on POTUS and Congressional involvement. A strained analogy, but DL vs. ME3 is more like a commercial Gulf War.


Oh come on, DL can forgive government involvement in airlines if it benefits them (see China Eastern). DL will happily partner with ME3 if it brings significant benefits to DL, as they should.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12411
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
WPvsMW wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
It's only a matter of time, especially for DL; this who-will-blink-first charade is par for the course for them, regarding carriers whom they wish to get with:

Good points, but IMO DL vs. ME3 is closer to the KE feud, which required a new CEO to patch up.

DL can forgive government involvement in airlines if it benefits them (see China Eastern). DL will happily partner with ME3 if it brings significant benefits to DL, as they should.

Exactly.

There's no end to the hypocrisy of screaming about government involvement in the ME3, while then trying to cozy up with (at one point: two members of) the PRC3. Doesn't seem to bother DL none. ;)

A lot of AvGeeks may not recall that this would not be the first nor second time that DL has had some form of relationship (first interline, then later FFP) agreement with EK.

If I had to guess: DL's probably sitting back and hoping that a combination of (1) a future bear market, (2) costs associated with building out DWC, and (3) pressure from the new IST, will eventually cause EK to reconsider its go-it-alone strategy-- and like the thick ol' chesty southern gal that she is: DL would be right there to welcome a forlorn EK into its buxom bosom of TATL love.

It's possible. It's plausible. And since that's the very thing that's happened with essentially all of DL's immunized j/v partners; it's perhaps even likely.

......and that brings us back to the relevance regarding this thread:
Great way for DL('s code, marketing, and pax) to get back into India in a big way.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
YouGeeElWhy
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
There's no end to the hypocrisy of screaming about government involvement in the ME3, while then trying to cozy up with (at one point: two members of) the PRC3. Doesn't seem to bother DL none. ;)
I think DL's point was UAE and Qatar have Open Skies, China does not, but that does not really absolve them of all hypocrisy considering that "partner" with SV.

LAX772LR wrote:
If I had to guess: DL's probably sitting back and hoping that a combination of (1) a future bear market, (2) costs associated with building out DWC, and (3) pressure from the new IST, will eventually cause EK to reconsider its go-it-alone strategy-- and like the thick ol' chesty southern gal that she is: DL would be right there to welcome a forlorn EK into its buxom bosom of TATL love.
EK has gotten fully in bed with QF because they could be on top. EK and DL are both tops. EK + DL is not going to happen.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12411
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:44 pm

YouGeeElWhy wrote:
EK and DL are both tops. EK + DL is not going to happen.

So was KE, until it wasn't. Took nearly 20yrs too.

Enough money will make a bottom outta anyone... and no carrier's got more of it on a consistent basis, than DL.
Just a matter of how badly (and more importantly: when) does EK want access to it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
WPvsMW
Topic Author
Posts: 2063
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:19 pm

This thread takes first prize in innuendo (I love it).
Perhaps one of the Expressions of Interest in 9W is a strawman for DL.... I mean, Vinay has to have a Plan B (and C).
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Who says AI can't jump ship? Just like CO jumped from SkyTeam to Star Alliance.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Also, a country does not need all three alliances to survive. China lacked OneWorld for so many years.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12411
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Who is SkyTeam's new partner in India?

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
China lacked OneWorld for so many years.

...and still does.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos