Page 1 of 1

Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:29 am
by dirckv
Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston? For example the Blue Jays will be flying BED-YYZ after the game with the Red Sox tonight - in previous years they have usually used BOS if I recall. Interesting that the A319 the Jays are using flew YYZ-BOS yesterday with the Maple Leafs, immediately positioned BOS-BED and flies tonight BED-YYZ.

What is the advantage to flying to/from BED?

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:32 am
by gatibosgru
At least as far as football goes, it's closer to Gillette.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 am
by igknighted
BED is completely the wrong direction for Gillette (I think PVD is more popular there)... only thing I can think is that the downtown area and perhaps the airport itself could be mobbed with traffic inbound for the marathon on Monday, so maybe easier logistically? I can't imagine something as big as an a319 taking off from BED, this might be worth going out there to see...

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 am
by seabosdca
igknighted wrote:
I can't imagine something as big as an a319 taking off from BED, this might be worth going out there to see...


BED has a 7000-foot runway and a 5000-foot one. A lightly loaded A319 could take off from the shorter one with room to spare.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:40 am
by NYPECO
seabosdca wrote:
igknighted wrote:
I can't imagine something as big as an a319 taking off from BED, this might be worth going out there to see...


BED has a 7000-foot runway and a 5000-foot one. A lightly loaded A319 could take off from the shorter one with room to spare.


Adding to that, there's also a Delta 757 and some kind of KC-135 parked at BED on Google Earth.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:48 am
by EK77WNH
Often, it’s proximity to the hotel that teams use that makes BED attractive. Most college football teams heading to BC will use BED. Finally, it might be that landing and parking fees are more attractive at Hanscom than at Logan.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:01 am
by RL757PVD
Logistically there’s not any good space for vip bussing and boarding of 150 +\- people at BOS.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:53 am
by deltairlines
Route 2 is right off BED too..easy access to downtown Boston and a lot less congestion. If you want to get in and go, BED will be just as fast as BOS, especially with a police escort.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 am
by ytib
It's quite common for sports charters for baseball, hockey or basketball to use smaller airports which can handle their aircraft. As mentioned above, it is really what is closest to hotels

Tampa Area - PIE
Seattle - BFI
Kansas City - MKC
Cleveland - BKL

Earlier this season the Chicago White Sox played in Kansas City and then Cleveland
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL ... /KMKC/KBKL

Likewise teams will sometimes fly into one airport and leave from another.

Visiting Oakland A's: Fly into SFO, leave from OAK

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:38 am
by ScottB
deltairlines wrote:
Route 2 is right off BED too..easy access to downtown Boston and a lot less congestion. If you want to get in and go, BED will be just as fast as BOS, especially with a police escort.


Route 2 is definitely not "easy access to downtown Boston," especially for buses. Most of the route between Alewife Station and downtown Boston has a prohibition on commercial vehicles and the Charles River Parkways have bridges which are too low to allow buses to pass. Not to mention the narrow lanes and curves on a stretch of Fresh Pond Parkway which carries Route 2 as well. From BED to downtown you're taking 2A to 128 (I-95) to I-93 or 2A to 128 to the Mass. Pike.

EK77WNH wrote:
Often, it’s proximity to the hotel that teams use that makes BED attractive. Most college football teams heading to BC will use BED. Finally, it might be that landing and parking fees are more attractive at Hanscom than at Logan.


It's probably a lot easier for a visiting team to use one of the many suburban hotels along Rt. 128. Fewer distractions and a better value for the money.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 am
by slcdeltarumd11
I'm guessing it's a combination of cheaper place for an airplane to sit, and easier to bus board people onto a plane than Logan. Ie it save money and they can get thebpmane boarded and loaded faster or at least much easier to load with both equipment and people direct from buses.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 am
by VolvoBus
In view of the infrequency of days off during the baseball season, I would think that teams fly into an airport based on the proximity to their hotel, and out based on proximity to the ballpark.

To support this, I had a look at the Miami Marlins schedule for May. 4 days off,2nd 13th 16th 20th,and 2 of those are between home games. The other 2 are between an afternoon game in New York and a home game , and an afternoon home game and a transfer to Detroit. Transfers after an afternoon game to a game the following day are Miami-Chicago,Chicago-New York,Detroit -Washington, Washington-Miami and Miami-San Diego. So you can see the club's preference to get to their hotel as early as possible, and away as quickly as possible.

With regard to ScottB's comment about hotels, under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the player's rep and the club must agree on at least 4 hotels that may be used, and you can bet your bottom dollar Motel 6 does not feature. Also, having read Jim Bouton's book 'Ball 4', you get the distinct impression that some distractions were a major positive for certain hotels.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:37 am
by airbazar
deltairlines wrote:
Route 2 is right off BED too..easy access to downtown Boston and a lot less congestion. If you want to get in and go, BED will be just as fast as BOS, especially with a police escort.

You can't be serious. Nothing is closer to Boston than BOS. As someone who did the Rt.2 commute for years, other than the Southeast Expressway there's no more congested or slower way to get into Boston than Rt. 2. The backup to get past Alewife alone is huge then it's city streets all the way into Boston. There's a reason why they flew into BOS, it's because it's a lot closer. Most likely the plane was repositioned to BED after dropping the team off at BOS due to lack of parking stands at BOS or cost.
Now for Boston College that's a different story. BC is equally difficult to get to from either BED or BOS.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 pm
by rnav2dlrey
the pats (and visiting teams) use PVD exclusively.

i could be wrong, but i believe the celtics use BED exclusively. they fly with DL.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:59 pm
by GolfBravoRomeo
NYPECO wrote:
Adding to that, there's also a Delta 757 and some kind of KC-135 parked at BED on Google Earth.


As a student I was in the pattern at BED when a C-5 landed.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 pm
by terence757
The Celtics fly Delta 757's in and out of BED. I believe many of the players live out in the burbs that way.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:19 pm
by GalaxyFlyer
GolfBravoRomeo wrote:
NYPECO wrote:
Adding to that, there's also a Delta 757 and some kind of KC-135 parked at BED on Google Earth.


As a student I was in the pattern at BED when a C-5 landed.


Might have been me, it’s not unusual for a C-5 to use Hanscom.

GF

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm
by Kno
There is a video of a 767 being used for a sports charter out of BED and Delta's 757s are regulars there. BED is next to Boston's wealthiest suburbs and right off 95 so it's definitely most convenient for home town players if they are coming from their homes. It's a weird sight driving down 95 and seeing a 757 landing right over you in that neck of the woods. Perhaps it's more affordable to charter in and out of BED as well? For an out of town team where BOS is far more convenient I'd imagine it's gotta be cost and congestion.

Re: Why do sports charters sometimes use BED at Boston?

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:05 pm
by N766UA
igknighted wrote:
BED is completely the wrong direction for Gillette (I think PVD is more popular there)... only thing I can think is that the downtown area and perhaps the airport itself could be mobbed with traffic inbound for the marathon on Monday, so maybe easier logistically? I can't imagine something as big as an a319 taking off from BED, this might be worth going out there to see...


You realize a 707-300 is based there permenently and transient 747’s, A340’s, and C5’s/C17’s are all common, right? An A319 doesn’t even rate.