AntonioMartin
Topic Author

DHL in the USA...where can I see?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:39 am

Since DHL seems to be back inn business inn the USA, I was wondering, where can I see some DHL branded aircraft in the USA these days?

Thanks in advance!

Acey559

Re: DHL in the USA...where can I see?

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:00 am

Lots in CVG. My airline flies to LAX, SEA, PHL, TUL, AUS, MSY and MEM on behalf of DHL. There are numerous others though not all contractors have their aircraft painted in DHL colors.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

atypical

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:16 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Since DHL seems to be back inn business inn the USA, I was wondering, where can I see some DHL branded aircraft in the USA these days?

Thanks in advance!

DHL has always been in the US (DHL was a US cargo operator before being acquired by Deutsche Post). In 2008 DHL discontinued local service within the US to focus only on international shipping. Shortly after they moved their main US base from ILN to CVG. In CVG DHL's current sort facilities are shared with PrimeAir.
Last edited by atypical on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SANFan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 am

I believe there's always a DHL plane in SAN every early afternoon -- quite visible.

bb

SierraPacific

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 am

CVG and ANC are going to be the best bet for seeing DHL aircraft in America. MIA also has quite a bit of DHL activity.

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:47 am

AntonioMartin wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Holiday Inn
Inn business
Inn the USA

For 10 points pick out the correct one?

Sorry but I just had to :-)

DHL are no longer a United States company being fully owned by Deutsch Post, the company is therefore no longer allowed to operate domestic flights between U.S. airports or overseas flights from U.S. airports, DHL contracts these to other providers.

Southern Air are contracted to fly for DHL in the USA with several aircraft in full DHL colors such as the 5 B734F, 4 B777F, other providers include Atlas/Polar Air Cargo 6 B747F, 6 B748F and Kalitta Air 4 B747BCF.

Although DHL have operations at other airports in the USA it does have quite a bit of activity at ANC and MIA but CVG would be your best opportunity if you actually want to see DHL aircraft in the USA. (Well at least more than one or two). Then I suppose it really depends on where your actually based.

There may be other aircraft operating on behalf of DHL in the USA and I'm sure that someone might update us on that.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

atypical

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 am

Cunard wrote:
DHL are no longer a United States company being fully owned by Deutsch Post, the company is therefore no longer allowed to operate domestic flights between U.S. airports or overseas flights from U.S. airports, DHL contracts these to other providers.

That is not true. Deutsche Post acquired the majority shares in DHL in 2002 but it continued to operate internal US operations until 2008 when Deutsche Post discontinued DHL's internal US operations. I am not indicating how DHL was allowed to do this but, in fact, it did.

https://www.dcvelocity.com/articles/201 ... rs-on-dhl/
https://www.dpdhl.com/en/about-us/history.html

gunsontheroof

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 am

Catch them inbound to SEA quite regularly. Great-looking livery on the 762, which we don't see too often these days.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:32 am

atypical wrote:
Cunard wrote:

That is not true. Deutsche Post acquired the majority shares in DHL in 2002 but it continued to operate internal US operations until 2008 when Deutsche Post discontinued DHL's internal US operations. I am not indicating how DHL was allowed to do this but, in fact, it did.

Well it is true!

We're discussing DHL operations in the USA in 2019 not from the year 2008 which is 11 years ago, the fact remains that DHL discontinued internal U.S. operations in 2008 it is now 2019 a full 11 years later therefore as I've already stated DHL are no longer a U.S. company and therefore no longer allowed to operate domestic/internal flights between airports in the USA and as stated DHL contracts these to other providers!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

atypical

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 am

Cunard wrote:
atypical wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Well it is true!

We're discussing DHL operations in the USA in 2019 not from the year 2008 which is 11 years ago, the fact remains that DHL discontinued internal U.S. operations in 2008 it is now 2019 a full 11 years later therefore as I've already stated DHL are no longer a U.S. company and therefore no longer allowed to operate domestic/internal flights between airports in the USA and as stated DHL contracts these to other providers!

I will give you that like PSA and Republic operating for a major airline under AA or UA brands and that ABX and others operate with DHL branded aircraft from 2002 to now. And DHL is absolutely allowed to operate international flights through their own operating certificate into the US making your statement "no longer allowed to operate domestic/internal flights" completely false. DHK976 is approaching CVG now and that is DHL.
Last edited by atypical on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

B777LRF

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:53 am

DHL, as a German owned company, operated - and continues to operate - domestic US flights via 3rd party operators. Most notably of these were DHL Airways and ABX Air.

DHL bought Airborne Express in 2002, including their ILN facility, in a bid go up against FedEx and UPS in the US domestic market. 6 years later, and having accumulated a loss in excess of 10BN on that adventure, they withdrew from the US domestic market but continue international services. This included operating domestic flights from e.g. LAX to CVG, where the packages were sorted and loaded on international flights. By and large, that's how it still works today.
Signature. You just read one.

blueflyer

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 am

Cunard wrote:
Southern Air are contracted to fly for DHL in the USA with several aircraft in full DHL colors such as the 5 B734F, 4 B777F, other providers include Atlas/Polar Air Cargo 6 B747F, 6 B748F and Kalitta Air 4 B747BCF.
(...)
There may be other aircraft operating on behalf of DHL in the USA and I'm sure that someone might update us on that.

Kalitta also operates 767s for DHL, although I do not know whether any of them are DHL-liveried.
ABX Air is another 767 operator, several are in DHL livery.

A couple of foreign DHL carriers fly into the US nightly with DHL-branded planes. DHL Aero Expreso (Panama) flies 757s into MIA from PTY, SAP, and sometimes other Central America points. DHL (UK) flies a 767 or two from EMA into CVG.

Doesn't Cargojet also have one aircraft in DHL livery?
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

blueflyer

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 am

B777LRF wrote:
DHL bought Airborne Express in 2002, including their ILN facility, in a bid go up against FedEx and UPS in the US domestic market. 6 years later, and having accumulated a loss in excess of 10BN on that adventure, they withdrew from the US domestic market but continue international services.

DHL's express delivery division left the US domestic market. DHL eCommerce (B2C shipping, and bulk mail/parcels) never left. Depending on the chosen speed of delivery, their shipments may end up on the same flights hubbing at CVG.
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

blueflyer

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:24 am

atypical wrote:
I will give you that like PSA and Republic operating for a major airline under AA or UA brands and that ABX and others operate with DHL branded aircraft from 2002 to now. And DHL is absolutely allowed to operate international flights through their own operating certificate into the US making your statement "no longer allowed to operate domestic/internal flights" completely false. DHK976 is approaching CVG now and that is DHL.

How is that flight a domestic/internal flight? It comes from EMA and it is operated by British carrier DHL (why on earth they renamed it from DHL Air I will never understand, it is so confusing, but I digress).

DHL (the company, not the airline!) may own (some of) the aircraft operating US domestic flights on its behalf, but all these flights are operated by airlines majority-owned by US interests.

bryanSE785

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 am

We sometimes get a yellow DHL 757 at BWI as well as the occasional yellow 767. Other times its an Abex livery 767.

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 am

blueflyer wrote:
Cunard wrote:
(...)

Kalitta also operates 767s for DHL, although I do not know whether any of them are DHL-liveried.

A couple of foreign DHL carriers fly into the US nightly with DHL-branded planes. DHL Aero Expreso (Panama) flies 757s into MIA from PTY, SAP, and sometimes other Central America points. DHL (UK) flies a 767 or two from EMA into CVG.

Doesn't Cargojet also have one aircraft in DHL livery?

Yes I had missed the two B763 operated by Kalitta Air on behalf of DHL, N284DH is in full DHL colors but I'm not sure about the other B763.

I didn't quote the foreign DHL carriers flying into the USA with DHL branded planes for a reason as I was just concentrating on the US based carriers flying on behalf of DHL be it in full DHL colors or just plain ACMI leases.

Does Cargojet even operate on behalf of DHL anymore?

I can't find any reference online or any recent information or even photos to suggest that Cargojet still fly on behalf of DHL or have any aircraft currently flying in DHL colors but strangely enough there is a video on YouTube which I've just viewed showing a Cargojet B767 taking off from San Diego airport which was taken sometime in 2011 showing the aircraft in full DHL colors, I know that's eight years ago but someone further up the thread mentioned DHL and San Diego.

SANMAN66

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:51 am

SANFan wrote:
I believe there's always a DHL plane in SAN every early afternoon -- quite visible.

bb

Yup! A yellow 762. I got to see it take off today.
PSA Gives you a lift!

Cunard

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:57 am

atypical wrote:
Cunard wrote:
atypical wrote:

Well it is true!

My statement is not false as it's quite obvious that you don't know the difference between a domestic/internal flight and an international flight!

The last part of your post doesn't make any sense whatsoever!

As it's already been pointed out DHK976 originates from East Midlands Airport in the United Kingdom it is an international flight not a domestic/internal flight and is flown by DHL UK on a UK AOC with a British registered B763 therefore it's not a registered U.S. company with a U.S. AOC flying a U.S registered aircraft into CVG.
Last edited by Cunard on Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkyVoice

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:01 am

Bryan, I'm sorry that some of our posters here are more interested in exchanging "pleasantries" than answering your question. Since CVG is my hometown airport, I can agree with the earlier posters who said that you are likely to see DHL aircraft at CVG. I think that early mornings are the best time for this, but since the DHL / Amazon Air cargo operation is already big & growing exponentially, you are likely to see at least one or two of DHL's yellow birds at CVG anytime.

Last month (in March, 2019) a Southern Air Boeing 747-400 freighter leased to DHL--and painted in DHL's livery--departed CVG for Denver when it took a lightning strike over southern Indiana. The bolt fried the plane's radar, autopilot, FMC & some other electronic doodads, but their primary flight instruments were still working so the plane returned to CVG. Here is a link to AvHerald's report about the incident.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4c5d6eb2&opt=0

BTW, the "listener on frequency" mentioned in the report was yours truly. Have a great weekend! -SkyVoice
"Your talents may take you where your character can not keep you." - Terry Nelson

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 am

SANFan wrote:

bb

Yes, it's a 5x weekly. GTI dba DHL 762 arriving from PHX at around 0700 & departing again at 1830, M-F. If you look carefully, you can see their MX trailer near its spot, painted in the same colors.

blueflyer wrote:

Yeah, a lot of ABX flights are in the white 'house' colors. But there are a good deal of full DHL paints as well as several Banana Peels. It's probably divided pretty evenly throughout the fleet now.

The DHL flights can get any livery, depending on ABX' operational and/or MX needs. Pretty sure the same is true WRT GTI, ATI, & Southern.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

cougar15

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Cunard wrote:
atypical wrote:
Cunard wrote:

Well it is true!

They kept doing it thru an interesting little venture called AStar, of course with majority US ownership (aehm, on Paper at least).
But that is nothing new in the business, look at all the former 3V Fleet flying around Europe under the ASL Banner today in FX colours...
I happened to work at DHL in those very days, they badly burnt their fingers, but I would say they are rebounding and have had some valuable learnings along the way.
The yellow Giant is awakening, also and especially in the US, watch this space and that especially after FX snapped up TNT. There will be plenty of yellow planes to spot going forward......
some you lose, others you can´t win!

NBGSkyGod

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

Can't believe no one has mentioned the DHL Bell 206 that flies to JFK a few times a day.
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

KCaviator

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:49 pm

There’s always a DHL 737 (Southern) at MCI. Flies CVG-CID-MCI-CID-CVG.
Last edited by KCaviator on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

commpilot

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:54 pm

Southern operates a 737-400 in DHL Yellow through MKE. CVG-MKE-YWG-MKE-CVG

United_fan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:58 pm

KII operates a 737-400 into ROC from CVG,departs to BDL. 5x a week. Sometimes it's subbed by a GTI 767-200.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

United_fan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:01 pm

NBGSkyGod wrote:
Can't believe no one has mentioned the DHL Bell 206 that flies to JFK a few times a day.

Callsign DHL 7 .

exFWAOONW

Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Since no one has mentioned this, I will. Where you won’t find a DHL plane is any city within a couple hours drive time from CVG. (Unless it is part of a multi-hop flight going further away). No need to fly an expensive a/c when a truck can do the job.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Roots1

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Cunard wrote:

My statement is not false as it's quite obvious that you don't know the difference between a domestic/internal flight and an international flight!

I'm assuming he misread "domestic/internal" as "domestic/international"

Elementalism

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure there is at least one DHL 767 at MSP everyday.

PartsGuy20

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm

There's always a DHL 767 parked at BOS near the Economy Parking garage whenever I'm headed out on a trip. Still haven't seen any of their aircraft with the special "Grand Tour" tails though.

Jshank83

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

STL has a late night arrival/depature and and early morning one. 737 parks by the WN gates.

william

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

As a Logistics Manager, I am still mad that DHL bought Airborne and screwed up the best secrete in the shipping business. Airborne was cheaper than dirt though your packages did not always arrive on time. Loved using their 2 Day service because, again it was cheap and got there overnight.

DHL used to send a DC-9 into Waco, Tx. Not sure what flies into Austin, 767 or 757. The DHL "driver" states sometimes they have too much freight for the plane in Austin and its gets trucked to another airport. Again from a driver, so take with a grain of salt.

ER757

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:02 pm

B777LRF wrote:
DHL, as a German owned company, operated - and continues to operate - domestic US flights via 3rd party operators. Most notably of these were DHL Airways and ABX Air.

DHL bought Airborne Express in 2002, including their ILN facility, in a bid go up against FedEx and UPS in the US domestic market. 6 years later, and having accumulated a loss in excess of 10BN on that adventure, they withdrew from the US domestic market but continue international services. This included operating domestic flights from e.g. LAX to CVG, where the packages were sorted and loaded on international flights. By and large, that's how it still works today.

Just being a bit picky here, but it was Deutsche Post that bought Airborne and merged them with DHL, retaining the DHL name.
To the OP - as others have mentioned, you can see planes in the yellow and red DHL livery at many major US airports. There are (or at least were) several pretty cool hybrid liveries on 744's (Polar, Kalitta and Hong Kong come to mind right off the bat). There's photos of them all in the a.net database

United_fan

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 pm

PartsGuy20 wrote:
There's always a DHL 767 parked at BOS near the Economy Parking garage whenever I'm headed out on a trip. Still haven't seen any of their aircraft with the special "Grand Tour" tails though.

I believe those tails are from DHL Air UK (DHK) that only flies to JFK and CVG in this country.

PartsGuy20

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks United_fan, I didn't realize the distinction. If there's ever a 1:400 version of those I know I'm going to have to add them to my collection. Love the Grand Tour buffoons!

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Jshank83 wrote:

Matchbox Skybusters' fantasy came true, I guess.. :lol:

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:32 am

Acey559 wrote:
Lots in CVG. My airline flies to LAX, SEA, PHL, TUL, AUS, MSY and MEM on behalf of DHL. There are numerous others though not all contractors have their aircraft painted in DHL colors.
Quite understandable I guess since DHL used to have a hub at CVG..or was it a focus city?? Anyways, yeah.

What airline are you with?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos