questions

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 am

Stop all the madness with... fixed recline!

The recline of economy seats is minimal; however, “the full, upright position” can be uncomfortable. Just give all the seats a slight, fixed recline and be done with it.

klm617

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 am

adamblang wrote:
klm617 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
You obviously never have to travel for work......

When you fly that's your time not company time. It's your choice to be on the laptop when you're flying no one else's.

You'd better believe the two hours in a cramped metal tube on a trip I wouldn't take of my own volition to a city I have no desire to go to is company time. That time's coming out of my 40 hours per week, not the finite time I have on this planet to enjoy life.

That's exactly my point and I'm not going to add insult to injury and open my laptop and do work while I'm on an aircraft. There is plenty of time for that when I get to the place where I don't want to be. While I may be on company time my sacrafic is leaving my home and going to another location which doesn't include working on the plane.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:48 am

klm617 wrote:
adamblang wrote:
klm617 wrote:

When you fly that's your time not company time. It's your choice to be on the laptop when you're flying no one else's.

You'd better believe the two hours in a cramped metal tube on a trip I wouldn't take of my own volition to a city I have no desire to go to is company time. That time's coming out of my 40 hours per week, not the finite time I have on this planet to enjoy life.

That's exactly my point and I'm not going to add insult to injury and open my laptop and do work while I'm on an aircraft. There is plenty of time for that when I get to the place where I don't want to be. While I may be on company time my sacrafic is leaving my home and going to another location which doesn't include working on the plane.

You people must clearly not travel often for work because that's not how it works for many of us in the real world.

Many of us that travel for work, put it far more than 40 hours per week. We travel within and outside of standard business hours.
We need to use that time in flight to "catch-up" otherwise its unproductive downtime.

Thats not at all how it works for many professionals that travel extensively for work.

Many of us would rather work on a plane if it means less work do when we get home and more time to spend with our families, or it possibly means getting to bed earlier at our destination.

flyabr

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:17 am

travaz wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Travez

In that situation hopefully the person behind does not get the sneezes.

AHHHHHCHOOO!

I don't recline when I am flying. I am one of those weird people that can sleep sitting upright. My point is that you vote with your wallet not make someone else adhere to your likes.

When the person in front of me starts using up my already limited personal space, I'm gonna ask 'em to at least meet me half way. I don't think that's being at all unreasonable!

bennett123

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:28 am

Seems reasonable to me.

Why look for an argument, it’s always best to look for agreement.

Chasensfo

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:32 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
See that's rich...

I AM taller than you at 6'3 to 6'4 depending how recently I've been to the chiropractor.

Public transportation... You obviously don't take public transportation. There is no recline option on any public transportation I take... Not the subway not the commuter train not the busses or streetcar. So why should airlines that actually give LESS space now than those transit options have recline? Why is it soooo important to some people. This IS pretty much public transportation now and the room just no longer exists to allow for seat recline in economy.

And maybe you have a money tree at your workplace where they let you upgrade on them... Mine we have to book lowest fare in the time range and we can pay extras ourselves out of pocket but upgrades are not cheap usually. If they are fine I will but the problem is when they aren't it's usually because it's a full flight. So please enough with the " don't like it upgrade" bs it's not realistic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I meant public transport in the sense that we aren't on an adventure, we're all people getting somewhere via crowded mass transport. In the meantime, the recline button is there there, so I'm going to use it. Just like the window shade, the TV, and anything else the carrier gives me for my experience on board their aircraft. And I'd imagine most people feel the same as I do, seeing as the person in front of me reclines almost every time I sit in an airliner. As for the upgrades, they exist so that people who have the means to do say may have increased comfort and service. If you can't afford it, welcome to capitalism, we can't all be in first class. Myself included most of the time. In the meantime for those of us in economy class, there is a way to increase comfort, and it's the button on the armrest, which the airline puts me in charge of, not the person behind me. Mmkay?
Buy see that there is the debate... Why do you NEED to have that button? I NEED to have somewhere to put my knees... Why do you NEED to cause me discomfort in exchange for reclining that much or at all? It doesn't matter what others do it matters why you and they need that option at all. If you can answer that question without it becoming me myself and I are more important than you then you might have a point... But otherwise this is you being a hypocrite or just selfish... Either way it's not a real argument to keep recline with seat pitch being so much smaller.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

The airline put the button there for the customer to use. The airline did not put a "DO NOT RECLINE" placard on the seat, so, therefor...

ArtV

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
The airline put the button there for the customer to use. The airline did not put a "DO NOT RECLINE" placard on the seat, so, therefor...

Delta's decision here suggests that they feel (given the current leg room/seat space on aircraft), that having a button for customers to use is no longer appropriate, therefore they will be taking it away.

Keith2004

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Just looking at the arguments here and on other forums, I'm kinda glad they are going in this direction...
Like all compromises nobody is completely happy, but both sides got something

Hate that people recline? They reduced the amount they are allowed to recline
Love to recline? You still can, just a little less

Personally I usually recline, but only after checking behind to see if there is space; if the passenger is taller,eating, or using a laptop then I don't recline.
To those that say NEVER recline, this cannot and will not happen until and unless airlines remove that functionality.

Keith2004

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:57 pm

ArtV wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

Delta's decision here suggests that they feel (given the current leg room/seat space on aircraft), that having a button for customers to use is no longer appropriate, therefore they will be taking it away.

Reducing doesn't mean taking away.
They are testing recline reduction on 1 aircraft type, they may or may not carry this over to others, and if they do, it is still not "taken away".

slider

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:58 pm

If everyone reclines, then there's no problem--it's all relative. If you don't want me to recline my seat, don't have the ability for the seat to do it.

Until then, I absolutely will and I do every flight. I hate being so artificially upright without it. If super tall/big people want to bitch about it, then buy a bigger serat, like in Economy Plus or Comfort Class. or first class.

Restricting recline only reinforces the opinion held by some that modern air travel sucks.

bennett123

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 pm

No one is saying not to recline, just asking for a bit of consideration.

winginit

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
adamblang wrote:
klm617 wrote:

I think I'm in the same boat with a whole swath of others both on and off this forum when I say that as a consultant if I told my boss that "when I fly it's my time not company time" I'd be fired on the spot. That mentality is not at all aligned with today's road warrior corporate culture at least in my experience.

Chasensfo

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am

bennett123 wrote:
No one is saying not to recline, just asking for a bit of consideration.

A LOT of people in this thread said not to recline. Ever. For any reason. Not even once.

bennett123

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:27 am

That attitude is just as extreme as those saying it is my right to do what I like.

Personally, I do not use the recline option.

777kkk

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:10 am

Planetalk wrote:
777kkk wrote:
I have been traveling on VivaAerobus in Mexico lately and their seats do not recline and I think its great in less than three hours flights. it works perfectly for me.

They also have absolute minimum pitch... Fortunately it only costs 4 dollars to pick an exit row seat with them so I do it every time after one knee crushing experience. Fly on a Volaris A321 and pick row 11 window seat and you can get pretty much the best seat on any plane in existence for $6. Or interjet who if you pick the right time sometimes have flights at 600 pesos, and you get 34" pitch and a free whisky/licor of your choice as standard.

You are totally right about your comment except that interjet does not flight the route usually flight , that is HMO GDL
and VivaAerobus as well as Volaris have a greater seat pith in the first 8 or 10 rows then the rest of the other rows ,at a price as you know.
And Interjet for the time being still as a 34 inch seat pith, but I think its going to change soon rather than latter with the new policies in other to make money.
I do flight with Internet whenever I can, even if it cost a little more than the other companies.
But the no recline seats do not bother me at all in short flights, I rather prefer them

klm617

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:10 am

People need to stop trying to regulate the travel experience of others to suit their own needs. That right there is the definition of being inconsiderate when we expect others to live their lives by the parameters of our own needs. Like I've been told on this forum so often if you don't like your travel experience buy up but don't diminish my travel experience to suit your needs.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

flipdewaf

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:30 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
All carriers should lock all the seats regardless. It’s a d*** move to the person behind you and doesn’t provide enough actual recline to be of any use. Oh, and it’s one more thing to break

Lol, I had this conversation with a colleague a few days ago, recline turns and uncomfortable seat in to an uncomfortable seat that is frustrating for the person behind you. The only time I recline an economy seat is on a long haul redeye.

Fred

klm617

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:
All carriers should lock all the seats regardless. It’s a d*** move to the person behind you and doesn’t provide enough actual recline to be of any use. Oh, and it’s one more thing to break

Lol, I had this conversation with a colleague a few days ago, recline turns and uncomfortable seat in to an uncomfortable seat that is frustrating for the person behind you. The only time I recline an economy seat is on a long haul redeye.

Fred

But what if I want to use my laptop while you're reclining on your long haul redeye flight. You can really have it both ways at your convenience.

casinterest

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:14 pm

klm617 wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
DarthLobster wrote:

Fred

But what if I want to use my laptop while you're reclining on your long haul redeye flight. You can really have it both ways at your convenience.

Buy a 2 in 1 Laptop:) Use the tablet mode while in flight.

This is what i am recommending to the person in charge of our IT department. Personally whether the seat is reclined in front of me or not, I have a hard time working on a laptop while in flight.
I usually copy some power points and PDF's to my ipad and read from there.

The recline is needed in order to handle long haul flights.
Where ever you go, there you are.

CALTECH

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:30 pm

questions wrote:
Stop all the madness with... fixed recline!

The recline of economy seats is minimal; however, “the full, upright position” can be uncomfortable. Just give all the seats a slight, fixed recline and be done with it.

That would be the way to do it if not for FARs. Or like some of the new seats coming out, where the seat bottom moves forward and curves up while the seatback reclines slightly and moves down.

The folks posting on how they are jerks to their fellow passengers because their fellow travelers recline a seat they paid for, is telling. Funny you people griping about the person in front of you reclining, but I do not read that you laptop users buy the seats behind the ones with no recline. Maybe the solution is that if you want to bring a laptop on board and use it, you should pay a extra fee, for being a jerk about the person in front reclining their seat. And another fee for using the power outlet for your laptops.

Tsk tsk, shame on Delta.
The others might follow though.
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

kiowa

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
klm617 wrote:
adamblang wrote:

You people must clearly not travel often for work because that's not how it works for many of us in the real world.

Many of us that travel for work, put it far more than 40 hours per week. We travel within and outside of standard business hours.
We need to use that time in flight to "catch-up" otherwise its unproductive downtime.

Thats not at all how it works for many professionals that travel extensively for work.

Many of us would rather work on a plane if it means less work do when we get home and more time to spend with our families, or it possibly means getting to bed earlier at our destination.

You obviously do not work for the government.

mham001

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:42 pm

slider wrote:
Until then, I absolutely will and I do every flight. I hate being so artificially upright without it. If super tall/big people want to bitch about it, then buy a bigger serat, like in Economy Plus or Comfort Class. or first class.

You can do that, simply expect to get a lot of knee action in your back.

Chemist

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:28 pm

I recline, but I do it slowly, an half inch at a time spread out over like 10 minutes. I never just jam the seat back all at once.

bennett123

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Which is greatly appreciated.

adamblang

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Chemist wrote:
I recline, but I do it slowly, an half inch at a time spread out over like 10 minutes. I never just jam the seat back all at once.

More travelers should be like you.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

LovePrunesAnet

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm

Oh wait, Delta is the one doing this. Never mind, I was going to say this is horrible, but Delta can do no wrong.
I normally love to recline, but whenever I fly Delta my desire to recline magically goes away. What was I thinking?

Oliver2020

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fle

Sun May 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Aircraft: 737-900er my opinion worst first class pitch ever:
I'm someone recovering from a back injury, and now surgery. Although upright is the best posture position, if I want to take a nap that's position is not the most comfortable position for a nap. Just 3 weeks ago I tested something Actual proof that recline doesn't effect knees in first class. Flying first class on a red eye flight I couldn't sleep. The passenger in front of me reclined, I made sure my seat was as forward as possible. I'm 5'11 long legs the average hand wrist to palm is approximately 6 inches I have big hands so mine are probably longer. I raised my knee approximately 3" and extended my hand from my knee in the direction of the of the reclined seat in front on me after having my girlfriend mark that point there was an additional at a minimum 4 inches to the reclined seat in from of me.

Anyone who complains about reclined seats, pay up or fly southwest, allegiant, frontier, spirit etc. with non reclining seats. With the exception of southwest the others are for the most part the cheapest, and I'm sure for the bussiness travelers your company can be easily convinced that you saved them money on flights.

As I paying first class passenger and in my opinion I paid a crap load of money for the first class seat as it was a last minute family emergency to fly LAX to ATL, I think I deserved to recline my seat regardless of what anyone thinks.

Secondly I put the tray table down to test the lap top theories, there was ample room between the lap top and the seat back. While I can't confirm what would have if the person in front of me decided to suddenly reclined. To the people who complain so much about there precious laptops, most likely company owned; On (flyer talk forum) I counted 30 to 40 so claimed bussiness travelers who left there laptops in the seat back pocket. This gives me an idea of how important laptops are to bussiness travelers.

As for the poster or any posters who were adamant that they are at work anytime they are traveling by plane I have a question. Please don't say the company as I wouldn't want a company to trace it to your work computer and you get fired, and this will be explained in the question.
How many of you have or had an alcoholic beverage while your flying on a bussiness trip? Point being people claim I'm working on my computer so I am at work so NO alcohol should be consumed, because I know if I went to work and had an alcoholic beverage I would be fired on the spot.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos