User avatar
Pudelhund
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:28 pm

This is good news. I have always thought the domestic first recline in particular was too much. I think the worst I have experienced was actually an Aeromexico 73W from DTW-MEX, which actually had really nice first class seats with footrests, but they reclined way too much! I was in a state of momentary shock when the person in front of me reclined and my laptop was shoved into my chest and my knees hit the seat. In F!
 
danman132x
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:29 pm

I'm happy about this. Being 6'5" it's great news for taller people especially with my knees already jammed in the seat in front of me. Recline isn't that great anyways and this may cut down arguments over recline in the cabin. Get rid of it altogether in all planes
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 pm

As someone who is 6'4", I like it.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
toltommy
Posts: 2710
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:04 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:31 pm

I guess you could say that with this move, Delta is FINALLLY erasing the last bit of Northwest they could find. IIRC the 320 fleet is all PMNW aircraft....
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31
 
afgeneral
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Galwayman wrote:
No need for recline in flights less than 4 hours, especially in a place like the US with so many ‘larger’ passengers ...


anything above 2 hours should have it, gets really uncomfortable otherwise
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:54 pm

I can’t believe how much in the minority I am here. I guess I am that jerk who reclines. It’s the only relief for my back. I don’t mind the tight economy. And I don’t mind if people in front of me recline. But the only relief to any of this is to recline. I really thought I was normal but apparently I am an asshole.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
SL1200MK2
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:56 pm

I always felt that communicating with the person in front and back regarding things like reclining was a great way to manage a situation that involves other humans. But what do I know? Apparently, passively communicating through kneeing the person’s seat is the appropriate way to deal with it.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3524
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:17 pm

itripreport wrote:
United787 wrote:
I love the reaction on this thread. If UA announced this, the reaction would 180 degrees opposite.


Or even American... although not surprised by this, after all, they do have the worst seat pitch in domestic first


Obviously you have an agenda by posting this. FWIW, I agree with others that this would be an improvement. Tired of the pax in front of me intruding in my space.
 
737-990
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2000 3:41 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 pm

I fully support this move. I rarely recline my seat as a courtesy to the person behind me. I just flew a 10 hour flight LAX-CDG and the lady in front of me fully reclined her seat right after take off only giving me a 30min respite during meal service. She didn’t even have the courtesy to bring it back up during her frequent lav visits. It made for a very uncomfortable flight. While I wouldn’t go the route of the LCCCs and remove seat recline completely I think Delta’s move to cut recline in half is a good compromise.
Happiest is a man who has his vocation as a hobby
 
777PHX
Posts: 962
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:43 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
777PHX wrote:
I don't care who announced it, I like it. I refuse to recline into someone else and I hate when someone does it to me. I flew DEN-LHR in Y a few weeks ago and the muppet in front of me was reclined from wheels up to top of descent.


I generally agree on daytime and shorter flights or during meal services, but reclining a seat on an 8.5-9 hour overnight flight like DEN-LHR is pretty reasonable.


Spending the entire flight reclined was excessive and a royal pain in the ass for me during meal service. If recline disappeared entirely tommorrow, I couldn't give two shits less.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Galwayman wrote:
No need for recline in flights less than 4 hours, especially in a place like the US with so many ‘larger’ passengers ...


You don't get to speak for everyone. It's my seat and I'll do with it as a I please so long it's not during takeoff and landing.
 
slowrambler
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:38 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
I can’t believe how much in the minority I am here. I guess I am that jerk who reclines. It’s the only relief for my back. I don’t mind the tight economy. And I don’t mind if people in front of me recline. But the only relief to any of this is to recline. I really thought I was normal but apparently I am an asshole.


Not alone. In the slimline seat world, without the ability to adjust where exactly your back rests on the seat, if you aren't exactly the same shape as was assumed by the designers you are going to have a miserable time.

And it's also true if AA or UA had announced that their first class seat recline would be cut almost in half there would be howls of outrage about how they were Worse-Than-Spirit.
 
lostsound
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Why is this an announcement? Why don't they just do it? No one would have even noticed. :twocents:
Such non-news
 
Planetalk
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:49 pm

777PHX wrote:
I don't care who announced it, I like it. I refuse to recline into someone else and I hate when someone does it to me. I flew DEN-LHR in Y a few weeks ago and the muppet in front of me was reclined from wheels up to top of descent.


On a flight that long i don't think your problem was with the 'muppet' in front of you, but with the airline. You really have a problem with people reclining on 9-10 hour flights? I live in Mexico and I can recline on a 2 hour bus journey and have more space than on a flight to Europe (although to be fair Aeroméxico is an exception and has 34"·pitch in economy on their 787s, nice airline for long haul incidentally). How our standards have fallen if we think reclining on long haul is too much to ask. Yes there should be courtesy around meal times, but other than that everyone generally respects everyone else's right to use their recline. If I can't recline they should at least provide me with some valium :D

More on topic though, I agree on short haul recline isn't really necessary, but it depends where you draw the line. Once we're reaching 3 hours+ I think it's pretty uncomfortable being bolt upright the whole way...again equivalent journey lengths on buses and trains tend to have far more comfortable seats. (People in the US may not agree with this, bear in mind Greyhound is not representative of long distance bus travel in most other countries!)
 
User avatar
compensateme
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

lostsound wrote:
Why is this an announcement? Why don't they just do it? No one would have even noticed. :twocents:
Such non-news


Bad thread title, they didn’t make an announcement, rather it was something shared and repeated by the media.
We don’t care what your next flight is.
 
User avatar
FabDiva
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:14 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Most airlines in Europe have abandoned reclining in coach long ago. At least the ones I fly frequently (AF, U2, IB, VY). I think FR too. On short flights it's really not a problem, rather better given the reduced pitch. I recently flew CX in Y and beside the fact that 9-abreast on a 777 is quite comfortable, the reclined seat makes the IFE come down to you chest which is not very practical for watching movies!


BA are removing recline from the short haul fleet too. The European legacies have found that people won't pay extra for niceties, so to try and compete with the ULCCs they've had to follow suit to survive. Both Lufthansa and BA now have the same passenger count on their A320s as Easyjet and while the fares may be higher the difference isn't that great with BA returns being sub £100 to many destinations
 
n562wn
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:50 pm

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:21 pm

klm617 wrote:
Why doesn't this surprise me. Citing customer comfort as the reason for giving you less how ironic.


klm617 wrote:
So if they were really concerned about the customers comfort why not take a row or two out of seats.


Haha!! So much this^^^
The thread should have ended there.

Positive PR spin about offering less, and people here are eating it up hook line and sinker.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
klm617
Posts: 4378
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 pm

My gut feeling is that they have been warned about some sort of safety concern about the spacing on the A320 when the seats are reclined so this is their quick fix. Because why not then change the recline ability of the seats on the entire fleet.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
klm617
Posts: 4378
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 pm

FabDiva wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Most airlines in Europe have abandoned reclining in coach long ago. At least the ones I fly frequently (AF, U2, IB, VY). I think FR too. On short flights it's really not a problem, rather better given the reduced pitch. I recently flew CX in Y and beside the fact that 9-abreast on a 777 is quite comfortable, the reclined seat makes the IFE come down to you chest which is not very practical for watching movies!


BA are removing recline from the short haul fleet too. The European legacies have found that people won't pay extra for niceties, so to try and compete with the ULCCs they've had to follow suit to survive. Both Lufthansa and BA now have the same passenger count on their A320s as Easyjet and while the fares may be higher the difference isn't that great with BA returns being sub £100 to many destinations


But if the make the experience the same as the ULCCs why should people then fly the legacies.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
B757rocket
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:48 pm

Delta is testing ONE A320 for customer feedback. ONE. They usually do this when trying out modifications to cabin seating to see feedback. It might stick and it might not... you be the judge.. find that ONE A320
CRJ-200, L-1011, DC-8, DC-9, MD-11/88/90, B-707, B-727, B737-200/300/400/700/800/900, B757-200/300, B767-200/300/400
 
ikramerica
Posts: 14886
Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 9:33 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
I can’t believe how much in the minority I am here. I guess I am that jerk who reclines. It’s the only relief for my back. I don’t mind the tight economy. And I don’t mind if people in front of me recline. But the only relief to any of this is to recline. I really thought I was normal but apparently I am an asshole.

Im with you but I’m fine with 1/2 recline. I often try to do only 1/2 so I can still relieve my back with a negative angle but not harass others. Its hard to find 1/2 way and I find the seat falling back then I have to let it up slowly.

Id be happy with it restricted to where I put it anyway. That keeps those in front of me from squishing me.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.
 
winginit
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:05 pm

klm617 wrote:
My gut feeling is that they have been warned about some sort of safety concern about the spacing on the A320 when the seats are reclined so this is their quick fix. Because why not then change the recline ability of the seats on the entire fleet.


A safety concern that's unique to Delta's A320? That would surprise me given carriers like Frontier offer notably less pitch than DL on their A320s in Economy.

Delta never go lower than 30" and are at times up to 34" whereas Frontier goes as low as 28" and never above 29"
 
umichman
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 pm

MaksFly wrote:
It is funny... all of these people who are saying this is a good move... also swore off Spirit for doing the same thing. :)

Only difference now I suppose is spirit has thicker cushions and maybe 1” less pitch?


DL is 30-31" pitch on domestic aircraft. NK is only 28". NK didn't just reduce seat recline, they don't recline at all (or rather are "pre-reclined" as NK likes to say). For most folks, the big deal is the 28" seat pitch.
 
Justapax
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:31 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Why doesn't this surprise me. Citing customer comfort as the reason for giving you less how ironic.

Thing is, there is only that much space - and your recline may mean less room for me or vice versa. So it can work both ways.
THose in the last row will definitely benefit (got smashed a few times), those by the bulkhead definitely loose(been there once). Those in between can either benefit from being able to open the laptop or loose from more back strain.


So if they were really concerned about the customers comfort why not take a row or two out of seats.


They are not "THAT" concerned :)
 
Planetalk
Posts: 410
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The legacy coach even on this "business heavy" plane is basically allegiant. No reason to pretend that recline is a luxury item anymore. It's an outdated feature from a time when there was actually space to recline.


Isn't what you're saying that it was previously the opposite of a 'luxury' item? You're saying it's always been a standard item, and it seems now it may start to become a luxury item...
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:24 pm

klm617 wrote:
So if they were really concerned about the customers comfort why not take a row or two out of seats.


They have. It's called first, business, economy plus, premium, etc. But for some reason people keep buying the cheapest seats possible and complaining that there's not enough space.
 
gcb5196
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm with the group that rarely reclines my seat. For me, I don't see a benefit to the little recline that you get now. I have been on a couple of flights where the person in front of me reclined their seat the second they sat down and stayed there until landing, that was frustrating and annoying. Both times the crew asked them to bring it forward but didn't watch like most do and never rechecked on any other passes. So, I am okay with the recline being reduced if it were going to go that way.
 
Indy
Posts: 4843
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:37 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:25 pm

I am 100% in favor of this. It needed to be done because some travelers are incredibly rude and selfish. They ram their seat back pretty much the moment wheels are up and they leave it like that until forced to return the seat to the upright position. They don't care one bit how much they encroach into another person's space. I had this on a flight from Memphis to Amsterdam years ago. Some jerk did this the entire flight. Wouldn't even put the seat up for meal service. So bring on the reduced recline. I hope this is done for all flights.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air
 
Etheereal
Posts: 335
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:44 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am

Galwayman wrote:
No need for recline in flights less than 4 hours, especially in a place like the US with so many ‘larger’ passengers ...

Please dont let DP read this post..
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:
 
DenverTed
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 am

Is there a legal definition of the space that you paid for? I think the default is that you can move your seat recline, armrest, light, vent, window shade any way you want except up on takeoff and landing. If there is a notion of "personal space", maybe they should put dividers in the overhead bins every 10" so everyone gets their pro rata share of the overhead bin.

Who says the reclined airspace belongs to one row or the other? Where is that written in stone?
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 am

Make the seat pitch 32inch, and reduce recline, and everyone is a happy camper.

I recline my seat in, increments and put it back to normal during meal times. Though usually short flight i don't care to recline my seats like from ORD - ATL.
 
Chemist
Posts: 560
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 am

Just one more thing that will be better on Southwest than the big 3, in addition to Y legroom.
I don't get why it's so offensive; the person in front of you reclines a paltry inch or two, you can recline the same paltry amount and you have the same amount of space, just at a slightly different angle.
I can understand it might be undesirable if you are working on a laptop. But if you want to nap it can be a comfort item. i think my nap is more important than your laptop use.
Last edited by Chemist on Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
b747400erf
Posts: 3136
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:33 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:54 am

Galwayman wrote:
No need for recline in flights less than 4 hours, especially in a place like the US with so many ‘larger’ passengers ...


Do not tell me what I need and do not need.
 
robsaw
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:14 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:00 am

MD80Ttail wrote:
I don’t understand all of the vitriol regarding smaller seats and reclines. Most travelers want cheap. Period. That’s a well known fact and people express this with their spending. The airlines are just giving people what they want. Then I see complaints the seats are too small. Talking out of both sides of their mouths. People that want more comfort have options. They can choose a level of service and comfort they want to pay for. Basic economy, economy, prem economy, biz, first ect. I realize not all airlines offer all products so they are even free to choose which airline to fly. Supply and demand. Really simple.


While I agree with this sentiment to some extent the pricing shifts are not actually structured proportionately. The actual approach has been to reduce service for the majority of passengers for a small decrease in price and then provide small increments in service increases for a few passengers at exponentially increasing prices. Choice exists but not generally on a linear price-value basis.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3194
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 am

Elshad wrote:
Recline should be banned in economy class completely in my opinion. It's unfair on those sitting behind.


If I pay for NK or F9 fine no reline I'm paying bottom barrel to be cheap. But when I fly in a higher end airline I expect to be able to recline my seat. If they had not chose to go to the bottom to compete this would not be an issue. Try having back issues and not being able to adjust a seat.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3194
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am

kalvado wrote:
klm617 wrote:
kalvado wrote:
Thing is, there is only that much space - and your recline may mean less room for me or vice versa. So it can work both ways.
THose in the last row will definitely benefit (got smashed a few times), those by the bulkhead definitely loose(been there once). Those in between can either benefit from being able to open the laptop or loose from more back strain.


So if they were really concerned about the customers comfort why not take a row or two out of seats.

Because that means spreading revenue lost from those seats over the rest of a plane, 5-7% bump of ticket price - and loosing sales.
Overall, this is about allocation of limited resource among certain number of people. Paying more for the resource is a common approach in ideal world. However with each square inch on a plane being pretty expensive, and ticket cost often being about a day of work for 1 hour of flight, many people are looking for low cost option and willing to put up with some discomfort.
So it becomes a question of creating tolerable condition for least possible amount of cash. You can be compassionate all you can - but there is a budget.



So if they are looking for a pow cost option and are willing to deal with discomfort to get a cheap price. They why are they complaining if a person reclines. After all thats what they were looking for, discomfort over price.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3194
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:03 am

klm617 wrote:
My gut feeling is that they have been warned about some sort of safety concern about the spacing on the A320 when the seats are reclined so this is their quick fix. Because why not then change the recline ability of the seats on the entire fleet.


To test the reaction of passengers before moving it fleet wide, only to switch back after too many complaints. Which would cost much more to switch the hole seat back.
 
rbavfan
Posts: 3194
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 am

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
My gut feeling is that they have been warned about some sort of safety concern about the spacing on the A320 when the seats are reclined so this is their quick fix. Because why not then change the recline ability of the seats on the entire fleet.


A safety concern that's unique to Delta's A320? That would surprise me given carriers like Frontier offer notably less pitch than DL on their A320s in Economy.

Delta never go lower than 30" and are at times up to 34" whereas Frontier goes as low as 28" and never above 29"


Delta is only 34" in their version of economy plus. Frontier version of economy plus is 36"-38" look up the specs.
Last edited by rbavfan on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
hondah35
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:14 am

The reactions on here don't surprise me. Very few people know how to actually relax anymore. Reclining = bad. Filling your personal space with a laptop, etc to do meaningless work en route = good. So those who actually want to rest a little en route get the pleasure of nodding their head forward into space.

In a less ridiculous world, the airlines, which rake in hundreds of millions if not billions per quarter would simply provide enough space to be able to recline without bothering the person behind you. There's no reason fares should have to go up. But if you're a beta like most frequent air travelers, you generally spend most of your time seeing things from the airline's point of view and reasoning that this is the price you must pay for the lowest fare.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7623
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:18 am

Very good idea


Well done Delta, I hope others will
copy this move
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
ArtV
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:22 am

Chemist wrote:
i think my nap is more important than your laptop use.


Thanks for your value judgement that you are more important than anyone else.

This is the exact reason that Delta is making this change - so that the value judgements of selfish people do not impinge on the amenity of others on a flight.
 
777kkk
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:22 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am

I have been traveling on VivaAerobus in Mexico lately and their seats do not recline and I think its great in less than three hours flights. it works perfectly for me.
 
User avatar
FabDiva
Posts: 154
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 am

klm617 wrote:
FabDiva wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
Most airlines in Europe have abandoned reclining in coach long ago. At least the ones I fly frequently (AF, U2, IB, VY). I think FR too. On short flights it's really not a problem, rather better given the reduced pitch. I recently flew CX in Y and beside the fact that 9-abreast on a 777 is quite comfortable, the reclined seat makes the IFE come down to you chest which is not very practical for watching movies!


BA are removing recline from the short haul fleet too. The European legacies have found that people won't pay extra for niceties, so to try and compete with the ULCCs they've had to follow suit to survive. Both Lufthansa and BA now have the same passenger count on their A320s as Easyjet and while the fares may be higher the difference isn't that great with BA returns being sub £100 to many destinations


But if the make the experience the same as the ULCCs why should people then fly the legacies.


Because they were not flying them. Not enough people are willing to pay a premium for a full service on 1 to 2 hour flights, and many businesses now requiring employees to use the lowest price carrier, which is a market Easyjet has been chasing for a while. What do BA do? If you can't beat them join them.
 
User avatar
XAM2175
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:25 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 am

Chemist wrote:
I don't get why it's so offensive; the person in front of you reclines a paltry inch or two, you can recline the same paltry amount and you have the same amount of space, just at a slightly different angle.


First there was trickle-down economics, now there's trickle-down discomfort!

Say your neighbour moves their boundary fence a foot into your property - would you move your opposite boundary fence a foot into that neighbour's property? After all, you'll still have the same amount of land.

This "resolution" also stops working when you get a row that already didn't recline, such as the ones preceding an exit row.

So count me amongst those who'd happily see recline removed from short-haul and much-reduced on longer flights. Personally I find being reclined more uncomfortable than being upright and so don't use it except when actively trying to sleep on long-haul, but even still I'd be happy to take a hit on that if it means I can enjoy not being reclined into.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2815
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:21 am

United787 wrote:
I love the reaction on this thread. If UA announced this, the reaction would 180 degrees opposite.


And thats because its not the amount of the recline that matters as much as the service itself on board the plane as well as the fact that DL, being the #1 airline in the U.S. has the reputation to be able to pull something like this off. People know that they will still get stellar service, unlike at the other US majors (and minors),
 
usa330300
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Major US carrier announces reduction in Recline

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:44 am

anshabhi wrote:
What's exactly the use of an anonymous announcement?

Gary Leff is not an anonymous source. Please get off the slow train.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Wouldn't really impact my decision on purchasing a ticket, and it is annoying when the person in front of you reclines to the point where they are basically in your lap, but Delta is being a little too "smart" with this. Just do it, and don't announce it.
 
klm617
Posts: 4378
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:42 pm

ArtV wrote:
Chemist wrote:
i think my nap is more important than your laptop use.


Thanks for your value judgement that you are more important than anyone else.

This is the exact reason that Delta is making this change - so that the value judgements of selfish people do not impinge on the amenity of others on a flight.


So what you're saying is you need to use a laptop is more important than another's need for a nap priceless.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
SuseJ772
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:13 am

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:43 pm

rbavfan wrote:
Elshad wrote:
Recline should be banned in economy class completely in my opinion. It's unfair on those sitting behind.


If I pay for NK or F9 fine no reline I'm paying bottom barrel to be cheap. But when I fly in a higher end airline I expect to be able to recline my seat. If they had not chose to go to the bottom to compete this would not be an issue. Try having back issues and not being able to adjust a seat.
So much if this. While I don’t get to fly First Class, I am also not a bottom fare person either. There is a reason I fly DL, WN, AA (in “Main Cabin”) when F9 and NK and others fly to the same place. The continued race to the bottom is a concern.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>
 
klm617
Posts: 4378
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: Delta announces reduction in recline on A320 fleet

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:44 pm

hondah35 wrote:
The reactions on here don't surprise me. Very few people know how to actually relax anymore. Reclining = bad. Filling your personal space with a laptop, etc to do meaningless work en route = good. So those who actually want to rest a little en route get the pleasure of nodding their head forward into space.

In a less ridiculous world, the airlines, which rake in hundreds of millions if not billions per quarter would simply provide enough space to be able to recline without bothering the person behind you. There's no reason fares should have to go up. But if you're a beta like most frequent air travelers, you generally spend most of your time seeing things from the airline's point of view and reasoning that this is the price you must pay for the lowest fare.


Exactly and very well said thank you.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos