SUNCTRY738
Topic Author

SEA congestion INTL arrivals

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:36 pm

Interesting quote from this article, https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... y-for.html, about new Asian service coming to SEA before the new IAF opens:

"Joel Chusid, Hainan’s Seattle-based U.S. executive director, is not concerned about losing passengers to luxury carriers.

“I’m more concerned about Sea-Tac Airport’s ability to handle all the new passengers between now and when the new international arrivals facility opens next year,” he said. “It’s tight now. There’s congestion now and we haven’t even started our busy season yet.”"

Some have discounted and dismissed DL's mention of not adding new Asian/Pacific service from SEA due to the current congestion at SEA for international arrivals. Seems Hainan shares the same congestion concerns.

eurotrader85

Re: SEA congestion INTL arrivals

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:21 pm

Its a sad day when an airport is struggling to attract routes on the basis of its ability to process the PAX they bring. It is chaos at SEA when the European carriers all arrive, queues almost reaching the air bridges. A real shame for Seattle for what is a really great city with so much to offer, the new IAF can't come soon enough. I remember reading a comment on whether BA should up-gauge there to an A380 given a decent premium heavy destination. Wouldn't want to be 469th off that plane!

MIflyer12

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 pm

You can thank Alaska Airlines for delaying start of construction of the new IAF, if anybody has forgotten.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/busine ... thxml.html

phxa340

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:21 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
You can thank Alaska Airlines for delaying start of construction of the new IAF, if anybody has forgotten.

From a business perspective why would anybody be surprised by this? AS domestic ticket prices will go up and the main beneficiary (among other international carriers) will be Delta who they are fighting tooth and nail.

It’s a challenging situation, the airport desperately needs to do something but also has a vested interest in keeping AS happy and healthy.

777PHX

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

I don't blame them. They're the largest single user of the airport and they're going to get punched in the mouth for something that isn't going to benefit them but will benefit their main rival at the airport.

Yeah, no.

hpff

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Considering the only flights Alaska has to international destinations from Seattle that don't have preclearance are Kelowna, Victoria, and three Mexican beach destinations, and their fight with Delta over the years, I'm not surprised by that in the slightest.

diverdave

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:48 pm

777PHX wrote:
I don't blame them. They're the largest single user of the airport and they're going to get punched in the mouth for something that isn't going to benefit them but will benefit their main rival at the airport.

Yeah, no.

Yet AS is happy to be the sole beneficiary of the North Satellite project, while only paying 42% of that cost. (That's in the linked article.)

747megatop

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 pm

phxa340 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

From a business perspective why would anybody be surprised by this? AS domestic ticket prices will go up and the main beneficiary (among other international carriers) will be Delta who they are fighting tooth and nail.

It’s a challenging situation, the airport desperately needs to do something but also has a vested interest in keeping AS happy and healthy.

What makes funding a challenge is nobody can predict what the airlines will do OR will be 10 to 15 years from now. Any of the following can happen

- DL could pack up and go.
- AS could become major player and go on a massive international expansion. All of a sudden, to cash in on the action (the projected growth in passenger), they will be wanting to use the very International Arrivals Facility they protested to pay for initially.
- Mergers : Who knows who will merge with whom? DL or AS or Both may not exist in the same shape or form 10 years from now.

I haven't kept track of eventually how they (Port Of Seattle) eventually solved the funding problem...but business wise AS's decision looked right then as far as they were concerned. Same AS may change business direction (my 2nd bullet)...and the logic of the decision goes out the window.

So it is best to structure the funding in a tiered approach
1) Common "infrastructure charges/fees" : all passengers and airlines pay for it. One can argue that congestions cause a ripple affect and can affect everyone in the end.
2) IAF usage charges. Airlines and passengers flying international pay usage fee/charges over and above the common infrastructure charges.

777PHX

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:46 pm

diverdave wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Yeah, no.

Yet AS is happy to be the sole beneficiary of the North Satellite project, while only paying 42% of that cost. (That's in the linked article.)

And how many millions of dollars from their Alaska's domestic operations went towards that project?

YYZORD

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Maybe once that bullet train gets built between Vancouver and Seattle, YVR can be a reliever airport for SEA in terms of internatonal pax, they have room to expand! It's a common thing in Europe and Asia to have other cities act like reliever airports with the technology of bullet trains.

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:05 am

I loved clearing customs in 5 minutes at PDX when I came back from Puerto Vallarta in January.
Next: AS PDX-OGG-PDX
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

Carpethead

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:21 am

jbpdx wrote:
I loved clearing customs in 5 minutes at PDX when I came back from Puerto Vallarta in January.

I don't know too many airports in the US where it takes 5 minutes to clear customs. How long did it take to clear immigration, one hour? :duck:
I think you mean both immigration and customs?

Just out of curiosity, is SEA immigrations and customs still arriving in a dungeon?
Used it often when UA had their 777 flight from NRT.

klm617

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:23 am

SUNCTRY738 wrote:
Interesting quote from this article, https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... y-for.html, about new Asian service coming to SEA before the new IAF opens:

"Joel Chusid, Hainan’s Seattle-based U.S. executive director, is not concerned about losing passengers to luxury carriers.

“I’m more concerned about Sea-Tac Airport’s ability to handle all the new passengers between now and when the new international arrivals facility opens next year,” he said. “It’s tight now. There’s congestion now and we haven’t even started our busy season yet.”"

Some have discounted and dismissed DL's mention of not adding new Asian/Pacific service from SEA due to the current congestion at SEA for international arrivals. Seems Hainan shares the same congestion concerns.

But Hainan isn't saying we are not starting flights until the new terminal opens are they.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:33 am

Carpethead wrote:
jbpdx wrote:

I don't know too many airports in the US where it takes 5 minutes to clear customs. How long did it take to clear immigration, one hour? :duck:

I got off the plane, I was at front of coach, went in the terminal, moved quickly to the passport kiosk and then to the customs line. No one was ahead of me. I had only carry-on. I was on the bus to the terminal. OK, maybe 10 minutes.
Last edited by jbpdx on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

Yeastbeast

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:34 am

YYZORD wrote:
Maybe once that bullet train gets built between Vancouver and Seattle, YVR can be a reliever airport for SEA in terms of internatonal pax, they have room to expand! It's a common thing in Europe and Asia to have other cities act like reliever airports with the technology of bullet trains.

Where would a bullet train be placed? I live in Bellingham, and there's barely room for the BNSF tracks (that see heavy freight usage daily, and are also used by Amtrak) as it is. Mudslides block the tracks regularly during the rainy season as it is.

DarthLobster

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:52 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

And you can thank DL for stabbing AS in the back, invading SEA, and congesting the airport beyond its limits. Anyone in their right mind would oppose a project that they’d have to foot the bill for yet mostly helped a competitor.

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

Yeastbeast wrote:
Where would a bullet train be placed? I live in Bellingham, and there's barely room for the BNSF tracks (that see heavy freight usage daily, and are also used by Amtrak) as it is. Mudslides block the tracks regularly during the rainy season as it is.

There is no impending bullet train up here. Only Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Eugene. Track improvements are speeding it up some. But you still have to go through customs.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

klm617

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 am

MIflyer12 wrote:

Ask yourself what Delta would have done if the shoe was on the other foot.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

wedgetail737

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:35 am

SEA’s international arrivals are the main reason I got Global Entry.

flyoregon

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:43 am

Send some of that international stuff to Portland, then we can all be happy...for a couple of months at least

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:31 am

flyoregon wrote:
Send some of that international stuff to Portland, then we can all be happy...for a couple of months at least

International airlines think they have to fly into SEA. Meanwhile, Alaska and Delta shuttle Portland passengers to Seattle in 25+ flights a day to help fill planes out of SEA, but apparently it can’t work the other way, domestically or internationally. I guess we’re just second-rate. So SEA is congested and PDX is underused.

As for Alaska and Delta, they really complement each other in Portland more than compete. I wish they’d both focus a bit more on filling just a few unserved routes out of Portland.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

DL747400

Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:49 am

phxa340 wrote:
From a business perspective why would anybody be surprised by this? AS domestic ticket prices will go up and the main beneficiary (among other international carriers) will be Delta who they are fighting tooth and nail. It’s a challenging situation, the airport desperately needs to do something but also has a vested interest in keeping AS happy and healthy.

BS ALERT !!!!!

If AS doesn't like the fact that a new IAF will benefit other carriers, perhaps they should bring the local SEA market more INTL service. AS can add INTL flights at SEA any time they want, but they aren't doing so. Should SEATAC sit on their hands and do nothing? That's pretty much what got SEATAC to the state it's in today.

SEA is very much a global destination, attracting visitors from all around the world. SEATAC has an obligation to offer updated and expanded facilities to handle those INTL arriving passengers more quickly and efficiently than they are capable of doing today.

If AS were to cease to exist tomorrow, DL (and to a lesser extent, other airlines as well) would step right in and fill the void.

And yes, before anyone brings it up, all of the above are also applicable to DL and ATL.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

jbpdx

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:35 am

I want to know more about this mysterious bullet train. Is this a private venture? We’re lucky to get a 15-mile bypass built through Tacoma for Amtrak, and that took 10 years.
DL PDX-LHR-PDX

NW747

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:26 am

jbpdx wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

International airlines think they have to fly into SEA. Meanwhile, Alaska and Delta shuttle Portland passengers to Seattle in 25+ flights a day to help fill planes out of SEA, but apparently it can’t work the other way, domestically or internationally. I guess we’re just second-rate. So SEA is congested and PDX is underused.

As for Alaska and Delta, they really complement each other in Portland more than compete. I wish they’d both focus a bit more on filling just a few unserved routes out of Portland.

International airlines could start service anytime to Portland should they chose to do so. Aside from Icelandair, Condor, Air Canada and Volaris, they haven’t. Seattle is the choice based its dynamic business community and greater global recognition, not because airlines think they have to fly there.

I doubt many could have foreseen the amazing increase in recent international service out of Seattle. While all this has strained the current facility, the new IAF will open next year. I’ve transited through SEA a few times recently and the construction seems to be moving right along. Things should get better next year.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:58 am

Yeastbeast wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

I think the focus right now is getting light rail "nearby" to PAE by like 2040. lol A bullet train is just a pipe dream at this stage.

jbpdx wrote:
I want to know more about this mysterious bullet train. Is this a private venture? We’re lucky to get a 15-mile bypass built through Tacoma for Amtrak, and that took 10 years.

And the tracks already existed on that route.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

robsaw

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:38 am

jbpdx wrote:

I believe the initial statement on "once the bullet train gets built" was one of hope and speculation, not certainty : )

In any case:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-gove ... ruary-2019

YYZORD

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:53 am

For anyone that wants more information about the bullet train proposal between Vancouver to Seattle

https://globalnews.ca/news/4937964/vanc ... ee-horgan/

JayinKitsap

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:07 am

jbpdx wrote:

The project that was well over budget, but they scrimped and kept the old S-curve bridge with a low speed. It didn't go well on the inaugural run.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/j ... tate-trai/

flyoregon

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:28 am

NW747 wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

International airlines could start service anytime to Portland should they chose to do so. Aside from Icelandair, Condor, Air Canada and Volaris, they haven’t. Seattle is the choice based its dynamic business community and greater global recognition, not because airlines think they have to fly there.

I doubt many could have foreseen the amazing increase in recent international service out of Seattle. While all this has strained the current facility, the new IAF will open next year. I’ve transited through SEA a few times recently and the construction seems to be moving right along. Things should get better next year.

Oh, ok. I was always under the impression airline starting flying places because they wanted to. I wasn’t aware they put time and effort into studying data before announcing new service.....

ER757

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:21 pm

YYZORD wrote:
For anyone that wants more information about the bullet train proposal between Vancouver to Seattle

https://globalnews.ca/news/4937964/vanc ... ee-horgan/

The date for start of construction is the 12th of Never. I'd say the chances of it happening are zero but I think that's too optimistic.

As for the poster suggesting Int'l service out of PDX - DL tried that years ago - they're in SEA now, any DL folks here who can explain why they re-located their Asia hub?

ACCS300

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:34 pm

YYZORD wrote:

YVR handles far more INTL pax than SEA and continues to expand it's facilities to match. YVR has done an amazing job of incrementally expanding as needed, at present an extension of the D pier and upcoming expansions of the US ( Transborder ) areas are happening.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/major-projects/terminal-expansions/international

For an airport handling about 26M pax / year, the terminal facilities and processing facilities are vast.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:54 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

YVR handles far more INTL pax than SEA and continues to expand it's facilities to match. YVR has done an amazing job of incrementally expanding as needed, at present an extension of the D pier and upcoming expansions of the US ( Transborder ) areas are happening.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/major-projects/terminal-expansions/international

For an airport handling about 26M pax / year, the terminal facilities and processing facilities are vast.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with him, but either way it would seem that the vastness of the YVR facilities is exactly why he's suggesting it.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Fargo

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:59 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

And you can thank DL for stabbing AS in the back, invading SEA, and congesting the airport beyond its limits. Anyone in their right mind would oppose a project that they’d have to foot the bill for yet mostly helped a competitor.

So the free market is not aloud to work its course? Got it.

Maybe AS should start considering acquiring widebodies and going international instead of whining when a competitor comes into a huge and fast growing market (that lacked a global carrier) and establishing a hub.

BravoOne

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Does anyone know the plans for the South Terminal? It is in need of some significant work.

dc10lover

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm

Still, the #1 International Route out of SEA is YVR. Way better International Service than SEA - for now.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

ACCS300

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:21 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with him, but either way it would seem that the vastness of the YVR facilities is exactly why he's suggesting it.

Yes, kinda agreeing although I feel the expansion of SEA will happen long before HSR between SEA and YVR.

BA

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:23 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Does anyone know the plans for the South Terminal? It is in need of some significant work.

There are plans for an interim renovation that includes replacing the HVAC system, but a complete rebuild, like they're doing for the North Satellite, isn't going to happen for another 10-15 years now.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

speedbird52

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:56 pm

BravoOne wrote:

To be honest I quite like the small cozy feel of the S Gates

PacificWest

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:29 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Still, the #1 International Route out of SEA is YVR. Way better International Service than SEA - for now.

100% agree. The last two times I've flown to Europe, I made the drive from Portland to YVR because they have way better options and the fares were significantly lower. Flying to Europe out of PDX/SEA is either a ripoff, or forces you to choose from some really unattractive airlines and/or stops.

YYZORD

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:02 pm

For sure, I totally agree with you. I think the HSR will be built by the time SEA is at ultimate capacity aka 2035 and then YVR could probably be an international reliever for SEA if there is extra demand as YVR has a lot of room for growth.

ACCS300 wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
ACCS300 wrote:

Yes, kinda agreeing although I feel the expansion of SEA will happen long before HSR between SEA and YVR.

admanager

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:37 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
    BravoOne wrote:

Except most if not all food service outlets close at 10:30pm, and there are plenty of flights departing up to and after midnight; at which point the S gates are quite dreary.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 pm

YYZORD wrote:
    For sure, I totally agree with you. I think the HSR will be built by the time SEA is at ultimate capacity aka 2035 and then YVR could probably be an international reliever for SEA if there is extra demand as YVR has a lot of room for growth.

ACCS300 wrote:
    PlanesNTrains wrote:

IMHO there is a 0% chance of true high speed rail between the 2 cities by 2035. Even higher speed rail (say, end to end 90-110mph) is hard to envision. We’ll see I guess. :-)
    -Dave

BravoOne

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:04 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
    BravoOne wrote:

Well you oughta be in there around 13:00 to 16:00 as the place is jammed to the gills. Boarding lines spilling out everywhere, and few places to sit.

speedbird52

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:15 pm

BravoOne wrote:
    speedbird52 wrote:
    BravoOne wrote:

Well you oughta be in there around 13:00 to 16:00 as the place is jammed to the gills. Boarding lines spilling out everywhere, and few places to sit.

I was there around 13:00, and whilst the Club lounge was horrendously crowded the building itself seemed quite nice. I suppose it gets busier later in the day.

san88

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Carpethead wrote:
    jbpdx wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is SEA immigrations and customs still arriving in a dungeon?
    Used it often when UA had their 777 flight from NRT.

You can clear SAN in 5-10 minutes. The new SAN facility is facial recognition and no forms. Immigration & Customs in one stop. I’ve also cleared PDX in 10 minutes or less inbound from AMS on DL. Some smaller airports just are a breeze, my favorite large airport would be SFO.
    sit on the Captain side when you fly into SAN

BoeingGuy

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 pm

jbpdx wrote:

The Pt.Defiance bypass was also built on already existing trackage too.

There’s no Bullet Train even in planning stages. That was an incorrect statement.

B752OS

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 pm

How many international gates for SEA currently have? How many will they have one the IAF expansion opens?

SEAflyer97

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:04 am

B752OS wrote:
    How many international gates for SEA currently have? How many will they have one the IAF expansion opens?

Now it has 12 WB international gates. A gates will be convertible between WB and NB after IAF. After IAF it will have 20 WB international gates if all A gates are used as WB gates. The biggest problem is not gates -- it's that the current IAF facility is built in the last century and it's way overcrowded during peak hour.

Freshside3

Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:43 am

It isn't any better on the domestic side of SEA, either...….several gates out of commission, and an increased number of "remote"/"hardstand" operations lately.

Overthecascades

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Dublin has preclearance like Canada. How about having that in Japan and UK? I know it won’t be easy but what does it take?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos