tpaewr

Re: UA Launches EWR/CPT

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 am

WorldFlier wrote:

That makes United a Six-Continent Airline Again!

I am really happy about that. Both UA & CO served all 6 at the merger and it was a bummer to have lost that. Excited to see it return!

LH658

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:50 am

Was hoping for IAH, but EWR is fine too.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 am

evanb wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
South African Airways flies JNB-JFK, which obviously has to rely on O&D alone to sustain the route, which obviously is enough. Perhaps it is a matter of enough Star Alliance card holders in the American northeast driving extra demand during the Southern African summer that has brought this route to life, and United feels confident enough to fly this route.

SAA has a fairly substantial codeshare capacity from B6 at JFK. They get plenty of feed at JFK from B6.

I can definitely see that, but what kind of numbers are we talking?

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:58 am

As someone who loves Cape Town and lives in NJ, this is amazing news. Having to go through JNB was OK, but the SAA A346 was seriously dated.

Getting the B78J for EU and now B789 is a great development for us EWR-based UA FFs.

FSDan

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 am

jayunited wrote:
FSDan wrote:
DL isn't launching these types of routes because they don't have the right aircraft in their fleet to do it.

DL has the 77L and A359, if we forget about the 77L and just focus on the A359 that aircraft is just as capable and fuel efficient as the 789.

The 359 also happens to be the largest aircraft DL has in their fleet, at over 300 seats. Not a great aircraft to launch unique and/or thinner long haul routes with. That's why a good chunk of the 359 routes DL flies touch partner hubs AMS, ICN, or PVG. The 788 and 789 for UA are just small steps up in capacity from the 763 and 764, respectively, which are UA's smallest long haul aircraft. That combination of smaller aircraft with long legs has allowed UA to launch some really interesting and far-flung destinations like CTU, SIN, MEL, and now CPT, that I don't believe DL has the correct aircraft to serve profitably from their hubs.

jayunited wrote:
And I think DL already has some interesting routes to Africa.

They certainly do, and I'm in no way meaning to take away from that. DL has been leading the US3 in Africa service for as long as I can remember, and that doesn't appear likely to change in the near future. I was commenting more on DL's international expansion over the last 3-4 years, which has been largely to partner hubs or to more niche destinations that are within the range of a 757 or 767.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

evanb

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:35 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
evanb wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
South African Airways flies JNB-JFK, which obviously has to rely on O&D alone to sustain the route, which obviously is enough. Perhaps it is a matter of enough Star Alliance card holders in the American northeast driving extra demand during the Southern African summer that has brought this route to life, and United feels confident enough to fly this route.

SAA has a fairly substantial codeshare capacity from B6 at JFK. They get plenty of feed at JFK from B6.

I can definitely see that, but what kind of numbers are we talking?

It's a free flow so they have unlimited capacity to whatever B6 have on sale. It's much better than the limited block space they get from UA at IAD.

spinkid

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:38 am

dcajet wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
Is South Africa popular for Americans now?

Fairly so. Plus a lot of South Africans have made the US their home.

Agreed, nothing crazy in terms of increased demand, but plenty of VFR.

I live in the greater New York area and have several relatives needing home health aides. Between two people, we've cycled through a number of South African and Botswana Nationals. It was surprising to me. I'm not sure if they are here on special visas or what.

I know I personally want to go to Capetown and Victoria Falls in my lifetime.

LAX772LR

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:03 am

What I find odd is that so many media outlets are calling this the first nonstop between CPT and N.America, which isn't true by any stretch.

In fact, it's not even the second.

SA has flown scheduled service on JNB-CPT-MIA and JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL-JNB in the past.

evanb wrote:
From what we've been told by other on airliner.net, DL have lower MTOW rates A350-900s. This might explain why DL's longest A350-900 route is ATL-ICN which is a 1,000 miles shorter than ATL-CPT.

That's a choice, not a restriction.

DL could make a phone call to Airbus with cheque in hand, and have its current A350s uprated to 277T tomorrow, if it wanted.
Its deferred deliveries will be capable of 280T, if desired.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

rph99

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 am

Am I crazy for wishing it was out of IAD?

I’ve had 4 noteworthy delays/cancellations trying to get to Newark this winter and spring alone. Weather really knows how to slow down good ol’ EWR....not something anyone would want to deal with or worry about prior to a 16 hour flight to the southern tip of Africa.

tpaewr

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:19 am

rph99 wrote:

I’ve had 4 noteworthy delays/cancellations trying to get to Newark this winter and spring alone. Weather really knows how to slow down good ol’ EWR....not something anyone would want to deal with or worry about prior to a 16 hour flight to the southern tip of Africa.

The premium traffic from EWR v IAD means IAD will never see a long haul route again that isn’t severed already from EWR.

EWR & SFO are the twin Crown Jewels of the system. The company really doesn’t make any secret of that. Even IAH & ORD would both be closed before those to congested delay prone but wildly profitable messes are.

shankly

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 am

evanb wrote:
simpv21 wrote:
The arrival time in CPT will limit connections to JNB only.

There is an 8.00pm Safair flight to DUR, but agree, all other cities and destinations will need an overnight in CPT

Great to see another connection for us down here in CPT
L1011 - P F M

mr02

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:30 am

AA said they might expand into Africa and if they were to start a route to Africa, wouldn't UA's EWR-CPT affect those plans(that's if they planned a route to CPT).

UAL777UK

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:39 am

Never saw this coming. Great stuff. Begs the question as to what may come next for UA?

evanb

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:16 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DL could make a phone call to Airbus with cheque in hand, and have its current A350s uprated to 277T tomorrow, if it wanted. Its deferred deliveries will be capable of 280T, if desired.

Indeed, it's a choice that DL have made, specifically because they have the B77L. But they're also unlikely to uprate the whole A359 fleet for one route since it'll increase costs for all routes the A359 flies. That said, it's something DL have in their back pocket for the future, maybe post B77L retirement.

mcdu

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:30 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
What I find odd is that so many media outlets are calling this the first nonstop between CPT and N.America, which isn't true by any stretch.

SA has flown scheduled service on JNB-CPT-MIA and JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL-JNB in the past.

evanb wrote:
From what we've been told by other on airliner.net, DL have lower MTOW rates A350-900s. This might explain why DL's longest A350-900 route is ATL-ICN which is a 1,000 miles shorter than ATL-CPT.

DL could make a phone call to Airbus with cheque in hand, and have its current A350s uprated to 277T tomorrow, if it wanted.

Maybe they are saying it’s the first by a US based carrier.

NZ321

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:44 pm

This is indeed excellent news and I am not at all surprised that they have chosen CPT over JNB. Well done UAL.
Plane mad!

dcajet

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:47 pm

mcdu wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

evanb wrote:

Delta used to fly ATL-CPT non stop a few years ago, in parallel to ATL-JNB.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

FriscoHeavy

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm

When will the flights go on sale? I can't find them as I look on United.com.

We are actually flying home from CPT to DFW on Feb 20th, 2020 and as of now, we are on Ethiopian. However, if a flight change pops up, I'd like to try and grab a seat on the United flight to EWR, then onto DFW.
Whatever

HPAEAA

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:57 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:

We are actually flying home from CPT to DFW on Feb 20th, 2020 and as of now, we are on Ethiopian. However, if a flight change pops up, I'd like to try and grab a seat on the United flight to EWR, then onto DFW.

According to this article, in May after regulatory approvals are received.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 473230002/
1.4mm and counting...

FriscoHeavy

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
FriscoHeavy wrote:

According to this article, in May after regulatory approvals are received.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 473230002/

Great, thanks for that info! I missed it.
Whatever

airzim

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm

dcajet wrote:
mcdu wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

DL flew ALT-DKR-CPT with 767s. Delta only flew the flight from June 2009 through September 2009.

https://www.ajc.com/business/delta-trim ... D5IB7LC5O/

evanb

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:37 pm

airzim wrote:
DL flew ALT-DKR-CPT with 767s. Delta only flew the flight from June 2009 through September 2009.

The article is slightly incorrect. DL flew JFK-DKR-CPT on the B763 and ATL-DKR-JNB on the B764. Both flights had similar arrival and departure times in DKR on both east and westbound legs and allowed transfer between the two. The transfers was done on the apron and didn't even involve entering the terminal.

Back in 2009 I did CPT-DKR-ATL (switching between the two aircraft on the apron in DKR).

rph99

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:07 pm

tpaewr wrote:
rph99 wrote:

The premium traffic from EWR v IAD means IAD will never see a long haul route again that isn’t severed already from EWR.

EWR & SFO are the twin Crown Jewels of the system. The company really doesn’t make any secret of that. Even IAH & ORD would both be closed before those to congested delay prone but wildly profitable messes are.

Makes sense! I am still very excited about this add - just have a little hostility towards EWR right now based on recent weather. I guess I would just recommend people get into EWR as early as they can to avoid potential messes.

NYKiwi

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:24 pm

Like others this is great news....I was just down in CPT in March and had a great time, and wanted to go back.....I did enjoy the A346 flight but agreed was a bit outdated, but what surprised me was the flights JFK - JNB and vv where not full and I expected they would be due to being summer there, but I was not complaining, always happy to have 3 seats down the back to myself.

Will be interesting to see the fares I got mine last one on SAA for like $740 which I thought was good. No doubt UA have done the math of what they send on LH and SA, I guess the flight will be about 30 mins shorter each way since CPT is a bit close.

Just wish UA would do something about the pitch and recline in economy now, but guess that's why they want you to upgrade.....

CTHouston71

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm

With UA going into CPT and DL flying into JNB, do you think this will spur AA and their MIA-CPT route? Do they still have that place holder from the old SAA codeshare? Would it even be worth them looking into? TLV comes to mind, DL and UA are doing very well on the flights yet AA has yet to jump into the mix (could still be the TWA holdover).

mfe777

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Really cool route! Daring for a US carrier. Congrats UA!

JAXBA

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 pm

mr02 wrote:
AA said they might expand into Africa and if they were to start a route to Africa, wouldn't UA's EWR-CPT affect those plans(that's if they planned a route to CPT).

Could affect AA's plans, could also make them more determined to launch their own ZA route(s).

Personally, I'm hoping AA will serve both CPT and JNB.
My FlightMemory | Disclaimer | Trip Report | To Fly. To Serve.

codc10

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:58 pm

JAXBA wrote:
mr02 wrote:

Could affect AA's plans, could also make them more determined to launch their own ZA route(s).

Personally, I'm hoping AA will serve both CPT and JNB.

I always thought AA would go MIA-JNB at some point, but they don't appear to be very interested in ULR flying.

evanb

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:01 pm

CTHouston71 wrote:
With UA going into CPT and DL flying into JNB, do you think this will spur AA and their MIA-CPT route? Do they still have that place holder from the old SAA codeshare? Would it even be worth them looking into? TLV comes to mind, DL and UA are doing very well on the flights yet AA has yet to jump into the mix (could still be the TWA holdover).

The current United States-South African bilateral is from 1996, after the TWA/PA era. The agreement allows for 21 weekly frequencies by each country. Currently the US is using 7, will be 10 with this new service. There is still plenty of room.

dcajet

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:49 pm

evanb wrote:
airzim wrote:

The article is slightly incorrect. DL flew JFK-DKR-CPT on the B763 and ATL-DKR-JNB on the B764. Both flights had similar arrival and departure times in DKR on both east and westbound legs and allowed transfer between the two. The transfers was done on the apron and didn't even involve entering the terminal.

Back in 2009 I did CPT-DKR-ATL (switching between the two aircraft on the apron in DKR).

airzim wrote:

Thanks for the update, I clearly had forgotten about the stop at DKR and the 767 equipment.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Nicknuzzii

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Is the 789 that will operate this route coming from the IAH and LAX- SYD decrease in frequencies?

notconcerned

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Is the 789 that will operate this route coming from the IAH and LAX- SYD decrease in frequencies?

No, IAH/LAX-SYD is daily during Northern Winter season. This is likely from some summer seasonal such as SFO-AMS/ZRH.

Judge1310

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:38 pm

evanb wrote:
airzim wrote:

When you say "apron" to what are you specifically referring? I ask because I also flew on DL from ATL via DKR to CPT in 2009 and we were bused to an ersatz transit terminal where there were a couple of agents, seating area, refreshments, and CNN International playing on the overhead television screens. Then when the flight from JFK arrived, we were bused to that aircraft to continue on to CPT. Just curious for specifics here. :)

Judge1310

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 pm

dcajet wrote:
mcdu wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's a negative. On Delta, CPT was served by a 'direct' from JFK and JNB was 'direct' from ATL; both flight plans had DKR as the intermediate point Was there a switch to ATL-DKR-CPT 'direct' service from JFK? Anyone remember the flight number? If one can prove otherwise I'll humbly admit being incorrect but I'm just particularly curious about this one. Thanks folks! :)

evanb

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:00 am

Judge1310 wrote:
When you say "apron" to what are you specifically referring? I ask because I also flew on DL from ATL via DKR to CPT in 2009 and we were bused to an ersatz transit terminal where there were a couple of agents, seating area, refreshments, and CNN International playing on the overhead television screens. Then when the flight from JFK arrived, we were bused to that aircraft to continue on to CPT. Just curious for specifics here. :)

We got on a bus and were taken from the CPT-DKR B763 directly to the DKR-ATL B764. We didn't go into the terminal. They checked and broke the boarding passes at the door. The DKR-ATL B764 was already on the ground when we arrived so maybe they were running short on time to take us to the terminal.

Matt6461

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:25 am

Does anybody have any idea of the current PDEW on this route? Both for NYC-CPT and for CPT-North America generally?

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 pm

Tickets are now available to be bought - bit earlier than expected I guess.

Very surprised UA hasn't made a bigger deal of this route given it is their first back into Africa (unless I'm missing something) and first US non-stop to Cape Town.

Anyway, prices seem reasonable compared to 1-stops on SA.

ScorpioMC3

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:

Very surprised UA hasn't made a bigger deal of this route given it is their first back into Africa (unless I'm missing something) and first US non-stop to Cape Town.

Any idea why they aren't selling business class fares yet? Or at least I can't seem to search for it...

dmstorm22

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 pm

ScorpioMC3 wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Any idea why they aren't selling business class fares yet? Or at least I can't seem to search for it...

I searched for dates around President's day next year and did see business fares.

strfyr51

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Coalways wrote:
Wow United has the best route map of the big 3! Very nice add! United is truly making the best route network with there 787 fleet

*Best international route map.

Not domestically.

And? Who's might be better?

Nicknuzzii

Wed May 01, 2019 2:40 am

It appears United is blocking 8 economy seats on this flight in rows 38 and 39.

NYKiwi

Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 am

Also just tried a dummy booko n.v g and fares are ok was 950 is march this year i paid 750 on SAA in March so maybe they will come down a bit.

Any think they will make this year round service or no since its more leisure vs joburg thats the business hub

Just curious nearly 16 hours north bound, anyone flown UA 787 in the back know their pitch is tight and im 6'4" so that would be my only hesitation being jammer in

Super80Fan

Wed May 01, 2019 3:12 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Coalways wrote:
Wow United has the best route map of the big 3! Very nice add! United is truly making the best route network with there 787 fleet

Not domestically.

Domestically, Delta.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

evanb

Wed May 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

They're not blocking them from sale, just from seating. You'll notice that United block seats in rows 16, 38 and 39 on all long haul B789 flights, independent of destination (you'll find the same on LAX-SYD for example). These are basinet positions (row 16) and 38 and 39 likely held for other medical cases.

WorldFlier

Wed May 01, 2019 4:27 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Not domestically.

Domestically, Delta.

That's a matter of preference and geography.

The *only* place that Delta is stronger than United is intra-South flights. Frankly so is American since they have CLT.

For example: BHM-TPA or RIC-RSW or MSY-SAV as connecting though a RDU or ATL is so much more convenient than back-tracking to IAD, EWR, or IAH.

Otherwise the Big 3 are, for all intents and purposes, the same when going from point A to B via a stopover.

Unless you live in a place like Chicago or Los Angeles where there is a large number of options to go point to point...what does it matter which hub you go through?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed May 01, 2019 5:06 pm

Judge1310 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
mcdu wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's a negative. On Delta, CPT was served by a 'direct' from JFK and JNB was 'direct' from ATL; both flight plans had DKR as the intermediate point Was there a switch to ATL-DKR-CPT 'direct' service from JFK? Anyone remember the flight number? If one can prove otherwise I'll humbly admit being incorrect but I'm just particularly curious about this one. Thanks folks! :)

I remember this when the route first started: there was great excitement that Atlanta was gaining service to Africa, and the local community in Atlanta worked to ensure that there was a mid-way stop, including full 5th freedom on both segments (to ATL and JNB). The hope was this would stimulate demand to Dakar, the chosen point, but I don't think that worked out the way Delta wanted it. The "scissors" hub at Dakar was also time consuming, and when the right equipment came along, ATL became a non-stop. I believe CPT was dropped due to yields, but JNB proved very profitable.

Interestingly, SA flies JNB-IAD via Dakar four times per week and Accra the other three times, complete with 5th freedom rights on all segments, on an A330. The stopover works great for them on this route, leaving JFK to be a non-stop.

Nicknuzzii

Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 pm

evanb wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

They're not blocking them from sale, just from seating. You'll notice that United block seats in rows 16, 38 and 39 on all long haul B789 flights, independent of destination (you'll find the same on LAX-SYD for example). These are basinet positions (row 16) and 38 and 39 likely held for other medical cases.

If there blocked for seating then their blocked for sale.

evanb

Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
If there blocked for seating then their blocked for sale.

They're blocked from being selected by passengers, not blocked for sale.

capitalflyer

Wed May 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Can a 789 actually make this nonstop? Great circle is 7900 nmi. I think range tops out at 8k for 787? Likely a stopover somewhere on the way back at the very least. A 77L would make sense rangewise.

dmstorm22

Wed May 01, 2019 8:17 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Can a 789 actually make this nonstop? Great circle is 7900 nmi. I think range tops out at 8k for 787? Likely a stopover somewhere on the way back at the very least. A 77L would make sense rangewise.

GC distance is 6,793nm, not 7900.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos