Nicknuzzii

Re: UA Launches EWR/CPT

Wed May 01, 2019 11:04 pm

evanb wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
If there blocked for seating then their blocked for sale.

They're blocked from being selected by passengers, not blocked for sale.

Who are they for sale to if they aren't for sale to passengers?

jetblastdubai

Wed May 01, 2019 11:16 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

They're blocked from being selected by passengers, not blocked for sale.

Who are they for sale to if they aren't for sale to passengers?[/quote]

I was told by an agent that they're blocked on the web site so that everyday pax cannot select the seats however if someone calls up or requests the bassinet seat etc. in person, they can be assigned. They're kept for certain passengers as needed.
Every zoo is a petting zoo......if you're a man!

divemaster08

Wed May 01, 2019 11:19 pm

codc10 wrote:
JAXBA wrote:
mr02 wrote:
AA said they might expand into Africa and if they were to start a route to Africa, wouldn't UA's EWR-CPT affect those plans(that's if they planned a route to CPT).

Could affect AA's plans, could also make them more determined to launch their own ZA route(s).

Personally, I'm hoping AA will serve both CPT and JNB.

I always thought AA would go MIA-JNB at some point, but they don't appear to be very interested in ULR flying.

I think this route would be a great addition for them, however I also agree that I think the Pilots/FAs contracts for ULR would probably mean that its going to cost AA a lot of cash -> high fares.

Maybe when MIA actually sees some AA Dreamliners (and the 767 is gone) then this route may have a hope to be launched!
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

evanb

Thu May 02, 2019 12:50 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:

The seat can only be assigned by a United reservations agent. They simply limit the ability to select it yourself on the United website. This is to ensure that they have sufficient seats available for passengers with infants or medical problems that may require specific seating. It removes the need to need to move passengers around during boarding.

Nicknuzzii

Thu May 02, 2019 1:01 am

evanb wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

The seat can only be assigned by a United reservations agent. They simply limit the ability to select it yourself on the United website. This is to ensure that they have sufficient seats available for passengers with infants or medical problems that may require specific seating. It removes the need to need to move passengers around during boarding.

So seats are blocked just it's not always those ones specifically?

NYKiwi

Thu May 02, 2019 2:37 am

Air NZ do this also....its always the same row and i spoke with someone and tbey said there practise is only to realease these at check in and tbey are commonly used for families so they can sit together and do not need to mkve a bunch of people around....

If the UA can do IAH - SYD and SFO - SIN then this should be ok.

I think there is one time in the year when the headwinds are really strong north bound and and even the SAA 346 has to stop for fuel so the pursuer said on my flight recently.

usdcaguy

Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 am

Great add from UA, though they’ll have trouble getting high fares up front. Corporate traffic to CPT is near zero. One of DL’s problems with CPT in my mind was that the stop in DKR and service from JFK really added to the overall elapsed time from cities besides NYC. Even out of Chicago, it may have been easier to fly BA over LHR instead of flying DL over JFK and DKR. Add in DL’s crappy JFK terminal and business class seats from those days, and the flight quickly became unattractive. UA is already ahead with its 777 and Polaris product.

evanb

Thu May 02, 2019 1:32 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Great add from UA, though they’ll have trouble getting high fares up front. Corporate traffic to CPT is near zero. One of DL’s problems with CPT in my mind was that the stop in DKR and service from JFK really added to the overall elapsed time from cities besides NYC. Even out of Chicago, it may have been easier to fly BA over LHR instead of flying DL over JFK and DKR. Add in DL’s crappy JFK terminal and business class seats from those days, and the flight quickly became unattractive. UA is already ahead with its 777 and Polaris product.

I wouldn't say the corporate traffic is near zero, but I certainly think Cape Town's corporate connections are more European linked. For example, Cape Town is home to a lot of financial services firms including Old Mutual (primary listing is in London), Sanlam, Santam, Allan Gray and Coronation. The SA financial services industry is highly integrated with the UK rather than US. Cape Town is also home to a bunch of South African retail conglomerates, but their foreign interests are in Africa and Australia. The big one is Naspers (controlling shareholder of Tencent), but again, it's linkages are Asia and Europe. And I'm not aware of huge US corporate links to Cape Town. So you're right in that it's the geography, but not that the market as a whole is near zero.

But the other difference is that US-SA travel has grown dramatically since DL left Cape Town nearly a decade ago and US-SA non-stop/direct capacity has remained unchanged since. For example, arrival on US passports in SA in February 2019 (most recent month for which data are available) was 23,867, same month in 2009 was 14,034. Given that the market is going to be decidedly ex-US tourism, then these data show just why United have pulled the rigger.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos