tommyy
Topic Author

United ERJ 145 status

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi, does anybody know what the future holds for the ERJ 145 at United ? These birds are old and tired and basically falling apart, no connectivity and no Premium seats, are there any plans to refurbish or retire them ? I am at the point of dropping UA for DL because of this aircraft which is the only aircraft they fly from EWR-MEM which I fly a few times a month

Thanks

drdisque

Re: United ERJ 145 status

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Actually most of the E145's at UAX are pretty new. the older ones are operated by Trans States out of ORD and DEN.

The Expressjet and Commutair E145's you see on EWR-MEM were mostly delivered 2002-2006.

I imagine that EWR-MEM will be one of the routes that gets upgauged to the E-175SC once they (and the CRJ-550's) start getting delivered.

77H

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 pm

I can’t speak to the plans on refurb vs retirement but I hope it’s the former because from a comfort perspective I find the ER4 far superior to the CR2 that UA has been adding back into the the fleet.

I suppose UA finds the economics of the CR2 superior to the ER4 ?

Interesting side note regarding the CR5...
I heard there will be delays in rolling out this subfleet due to errors in the calculations of payload&range as it relates to the derated engines. A former colleague of mine with knowledge of the program mentioned that as it stands now with the planned derate, the CR5 would struggle on routes as short as ORD-STL....

77H

IWMBH

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Which airline is operating the plane in question?

TWA302

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 pm

IWMBH wrote:
Which airline is operating the plane in question?

ExpressJet and CommutAir on the EWR-MEM route.

cosyr

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 pm

77H wrote:
I can’t speak to the plans on refurb vs retirement but I hope it’s the former because from a comfort perspective I find the ER4 far superior to the CR2 that UA has been adding back into the the fleet.

I heard there will be delays in rolling out this subfleet due to errors in the calculations of payload&range as it relates to the derated engines. A former colleague of mine with knowledge of the program mentioned that as it stands now with the planned derate, the CR5 would struggle on routes as short as ORD-STL....

77H

I don't know that it is as much the economics of operating the CR2, as it is the cheap cost of acquisition. Also, I think they are using the leverage of diversifying flying with more carriers like Air Wisconsin, to reduce their reliance on Expressjet, which was almost a monopoly express carrier for CO prior to the merger.

HPAEAA

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm

cosyr wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

I don't know that it is as much the economics of operating the CR2, as it is the cheap cost of acquisition. Also, I think they are using the leverage of diversifying flying with more carriers like Air Wisconsin, to reduce their reliance on Expressjet, which was almost a monopoly express carrier for CO prior to the merger.

I hope someone can add on the economics point, I also prefer the ERJ to the CR2 because of the 1x2 seating but have no idea how different they are from an operating cost standpoint..

One note though, I believe UA is actually moving to simplify it's regional feed after a lot of diversification post merger.. They actually bought back a stake in Expressjet last year when it was purchased from Skywest and expanded scope.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... re-454518/
1.4mm and counting...

CATIIIevery5yrs

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:20 am

2002-2006 is old for a Barbie Jet. Remember when they came out? They were called the ‘Disposable RJ.’

tommyy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 am

I don’t care as much when the airplane was built, however their interior is extremely dated and it shows, unlike the rest of the fleet this has not been updated and no connectivity was ever installed, I flew recently with AA MEM-MIA on the 145 and it was very nicely done

TWA772LR

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 am

The numbers are diminishing but still strong.

IMO there will always be a market for 50 seat RJs. Small but profitable markets good enough for a 145 but too small for a 175, legacy networks as a whole, good economic growth in the US, and even the pilot job market to an extent display that they have a place.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

77H

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:08 am

cosyr wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

So from your understanding, CR2s are cheaper to acquire second hand than ER4s? Perhaps as there are more in service? Or is it that the ER4 is in higher demand overall?

As far as diversification, I thought most of the XJ ER4s were owned by UA (much like the E75s). If UA wanted to simply reduce reliance on XJ, couldn't they simply take them out of the XJ fleet and place them with one of the other carriers that operates the type for UA like AX or C5?

I was disappointed when UA announced the continued retirement of ER4s whilst onboarding more CR2s. As I said upthread, I find the ER4 to be a better overall regional product comparative to the CR2. As an avgeek, I find it more aesthetically pleasing as well.

77H

Boof02671

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 am

tommyy wrote:
Hi, does anybody know what the future holds for the ERJ 145 at United ? These birds are old and tired and basically falling apart, no connectivity and no Premium seats, are there any plans to refurbish or retire them ? I am at the point of dropping UA for DL because of this aircraft which is the only aircraft they fly from EWR-MEM which I fly a few times a month

Thanks

Falling apart? A little dramatic don’t you think? Are you a PMI for the FAA and did a thorough inspection?

tommyy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am

I am talking about the interiors and not about the mechanics, broken seats, window shades stuck, torn seat back pouches, rattling panels and so forth

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:16 am

TWA772LR wrote:

IMO there will always be a market for 50 seat RJs.

Always is a long time. Viability is a function of operating cost (including pilot productivity) vs. total fares, and of the business case to keep production going and/or offer meaningful updates. It's going to be compared not just to CR7/CR9/E75 but also 717/A220 and even not serving a market at all.

DC8FanJet

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:33 pm

[quote="drdisque"]Actually most of the E145's at UAX are pretty new. the older ones are operated by Trans States out of ORD and DEN.

The Expressjet and Commutair E145's you see on EWR-MEM were mostly delivered 2002-2006.

Actually, United owns all the E145s operated by Commutair & ExpressJet, and all but 10 of the TransStates operated fleet. The 10 TransStates owned a/c are 2004 models so not as old as the UA owned fleet.]

mrbots

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 pm

I can't argue that the 145s are getting dated but I hate to hear that they're adding more CR2 to replace/supplement them. I prefer the 1+2 where I can usually get the seat by itself and absolutely hate flying on the CR2s with their low, awkward windows and can't say I've been on a CR2 that was in any better shape than the 145s I've flow.

twaconnie

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 pm

I know AA has a lot E145's how old are they and in what condition are their planes in? I know this is little off post but my nephew just got hired by Envoy and will be flying E145's for sure.

drdisque

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

HPAEAA wrote:
cosyr wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

I hope someone can add on the economics point, I also prefer the ERJ to the CR2 because of the 1x2 seating but have no idea how different they are from an operating cost standpoint..

One note though, I believe UA is actually moving to simplify it's regional feed after a lot of diversification post merger.. They actually bought back a stake in Expressjet last year when it was purchased from Skywest and expanded scope.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... re-454518/

Operating cost is very similar between the CR2 and ERJ.

CR2 is a little more efficient on short flights when full.

ERJ becomes more efficient when stage length gets over ~400-500 sm. It's close. If I recall the ERJ also is slightly more efficient when not full due to a slightly lower dry weight.

bigb

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 pm

ERJ > CR2 by a long shot.

ERJ has more comfort
ERJ has a better APU for cooling
I want to say ERJ has better performance but tend to have more issues weight and balance wise from what I heard.

I will need to reach out to my buddies who fly the ERJ on the regular. I only speak from experience with operating the CR2, CR7, and CR9s.

kipfilet

Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:50 pm

I am a United flyer based out of STL, which means that I fly the ERJ145 about four times a month mostly to ORD, IAD, and EWR. There are several annoying things about these planes:
- Hand luggage must be gate checked
- No business class
- Economy+ seats don't offer that much extra legroom. Only exception is 1A but this seat forces you to store any personal items in the overhead bins.
I understand that in all of these aspects the ERJ145 still strictly dominates the CRJ200, but it's really annoying that United exclusively flies these guys to the two hubs that I fly to (EWR and IAD).
In terms of reliability my experience has been quite good, and there rarely are any delays. Only exception was earlier this month when the auxiliary power to start the engines wasn't working, and the resulting delay almost made me miss an international connection at IAD.

TWA302

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:32 pm

kipfilet wrote:
I am a United flyer based out of STL, which means that I fly the ERJ145 about four times a month mostly to ORD, IAD, and EWR. There are several annoying things about these planes:
- No business class
- Economy+ seats don't offer that much extra legroom. Only exception is 1A but this seat forces you to store any personal items in the overhead bins.
I understand that in all of these aspects the ERJ145 still strictly dominates the CRJ200, but it's really annoying that United exclusively flies these guys to the two hubs that I fly to (EWR and IAD).
In terms of reliability my experience has been quite good, and there rarely are any delays. Only exception was earlier this month when the auxiliary power to start the engines wasn't working, and the resulting delay almost made me miss an international connection at IAD.

As an STL flyer as well, this is the reason I don't fly UA anymore. I know they added some mainline, and E170s, but it is insane to have just E-Jets to ORD and EWR.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 pm

The interior on TransState ERJ-145 I flew on a few weeks ago into DEN was hot garbage. It was an embarrassment for an airline like United.

32andBelow

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Is the one still in pqi?

kipfilet

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 pm

TWA302 wrote:
kipfilet wrote:
- No business class

As an STL flyer as well, this is the reason I don't fly UA anymore. I know they added some mainline, and E170s, but it is insane to have just E-Jets to ORD and EWR.

Exactly. The only reason I stick to United is that my travel patterns in Europe strongly favor Star Alliance (LH and TP). Otherwise I would have made the switch to DL a long ago.
I have caught an occasional E170 to ORD and I heard UA is also now using it for EWR, but haven't had the chance to fly it on that route. I would be so happy if they just upgraded all the E145 service to E170's (not even asking for mainline here...)

antoniemey

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 am

77H wrote:
cosyr wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

So from your understanding, CR2s are cheaper to acquire second hand than ER4s? Perhaps as there are more in service? Or is it that the ER4 is in higher demand overall?

As far as diversification, I thought most of the XJ ER4s were owned by UA (much like the E75s). If UA wanted to simply reduce reliance on XJ, couldn't they simply take them out of the XJ fleet and place them with one of the other carriers that operates the type for UA like AX or C5?

I was disappointed when UA announced the continued retirement of ER4s whilst onboarding more CR2s. As I said upthread, I find the ER4 to be a better overall regional product comparative to the CR2. As an avgeek, I find it more aesthetically pleasing as well.

77H

At this point, aside from a couple of aircraft with AX, all E145s operating as United Express are former XE birds. Moving them from XE to AX and C5 is exactly what UA has been doing for the last 5-ish years.

As far as I know, except maybe some Skywest at risk flying, the only "new" CR2s to come into the fleet have been the Air Wisconsin ones, and they got a complete refurbish between leaving AA ops and starting UA ops. They are the nicest 50 seaters flying, from a PAX perspective. Of course, one of Air Wisconsin's regional managers told me shortly after they started flying to my neighborhood that half the fleet is going to hit cycle limits within 2-3 years, so they need to find a replacement ASAP.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

kabq737

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:27 am

antoniemey wrote:
77H wrote:
cosyr wrote:

77H

At this point, aside from a couple of aircraft with AX, all E145s operating as United Express are former XE birds. Moving them from XE to AX and C5 is exactly what UA has been doing for the last 5-ish years.

As far as I know, except maybe some Skywest at risk flying, the only "new" CR2s to come into the fleet have been the Air Wisconsin ones, and they got a complete refurbish between leaving AA ops and starting UA ops. They are the nicest 50 seaters flying, from a PAX perspective. Of course, one of Air Wisconsin's regional managers told me shortly after they started flying to my neighborhood that half the fleet is going to hit cycle limits within 2-3 years, so they need to find a replacement ASAP.

Wow so I guess we can expect to see some pretty major news out of Air Wisconsin in the near future! What would the options be for replacing these since CR2s are out of production? Are there any nice examples that could be brought out of a boneyard or will they have to be more creative than that?
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40,
PA-46

Jfoxwi78

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 am

kipfilet wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
kipfilet wrote:
- No business class

Exactly. The only reason I stick to United is that my travel patterns in Europe strongly favor Star Alliance (LH and TP). Otherwise I would have made the switch to DL a long ago.
I have caught an occasional E170 to ORD and I heard UA is also now using it for EWR, but haven't had the chance to fly it on that route. I would be so happy if they just upgraded all the E145 service to E170's (not even asking for mainline here...)

I would suspect you see a lot of Trans States flights out of STL for UA because that is one of the primary overnight MX bases for AX and same with GoJet on the CR7 (soon to be CRJ-550) so I would guess it's not likely to see the E170 on a regular basis. Won't argue your points if the market dictates it but guessing this is the main reason you see so many E145's.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:25 pm

kabq737 wrote:
antoniemey wrote:
77H wrote:

77H

Wow so I guess we can expect to see some pretty major news out of Air Wisconsin in the near future! What would the options be for replacing these since CR2s are out of production? Are there any nice examples that could be brought out of a boneyard or will they have to be more creative than that?

I’m sure they will find used ones from the boneyards or, perhaps, if the CRJ550 experiment works, they might go down that route
From my cold, dead hands

kabq737

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:54 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
kabq737 wrote:
antoniemey wrote:

I’m sure they will find used ones from the boneyards or, perhaps, if the CRJ550 experiment works, they might go down that route

Yeah I didn’t think of the CRJ550 thing but you’re right that’s an option. I guess the next question is can they afford this fleet overhaul?
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40,
PA-46

gsg013

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:36 pm

We get these grubby old E-145's all the time on the EWR-BNA route on the non-mainline flights... My wife's seat the other day on the E-145 was being held together with duct tape. You could hardly see out of the window. The seat was not going back into an exit row or anything but the recline was broken.... These are the worst of the worst. (This is not only about the e-145 but the non-mainline EWR-BNA flight is delayed about 80% of the time.

antoniemey

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm

gsg013 wrote:
We get these grubby old E-145's all the time on the EWR-BNA route on the non-mainline flights... My wife's seat the other day on the E-145 was being held together with duct tape. You could hardly see out of the window. The seat was not going back into an exit row or anything but the recline was broken.... These are the worst of the worst. (This is not only about the e-145 but the non-mainline EWR-BNA flight is delayed about 80% of the time.

That's an unfortunate side effect of shifting the fleet around and the downsizing of XE's operations. as recently as 5 years ago there were 200+ ERJs flown by XE and they had maintenance bases everywhere, so a plane wouldn't go more than a couple days without overnighting at a maintenance base. Those planes were babied.

with the loss of flying as the contracts have shrunk XE has had to cut back their maintenance coverage, so their non-critical work is suffering, and then AX and C5 never had the coverage and basically rely on contract maintenance to fix what breaks away from home, so their non-critical maintenance is basically nonexistent. Your best bet to reverse the situation it to get a lot of people to complain to UA about the state of the planes.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

F27500

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Can someone splain what a CRJ-550 is ?

drdisque

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:49 pm

F27500 wrote:

It's a CRJ-700 that's been modified to have F, Y+, and Y in a 50 seat configuration along with a paper re-rate to fit under United's 50 seater scope. It will also have on-board luggage closets to largely eliminate the need to gate-check regular carry-ons.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... s-crj-550/

F27500

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:59 pm

drdisque wrote:
F27500 wrote:

It's a CRJ-700 that's been modified to have F, Y+, and Y in a 50 seat configuration along with a paper re-rate to fit under United's 50 seater scope. It will also have on-board luggage closets to largely eliminate the need to gate-check regular carry-ons.

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com ... s-crj-550/

Thank you -- wow .. sounds like a kinda groovy bird! Which Express carrier .. and what routes will be seeing it ?

drdisque

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:08 pm

It will be on routes between 1-2 hours block time from ORD and EWR to start. I believe the operating carrier will be GoJet but I'm not 100% sure on that (and I believe that means GoJet would have to open a NYC base if that's the case unless they bridge a ton of planes between ORD and EWR through places like CVG, DAY, CMH, PIT, IND).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos