Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UKFLYER26

Re: Flybe update

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:52 pm

I find it interesting they have gone to the trouble of creating a “logo” for Connect Airways when my understanding is that this is just a holding company name until they rebrand under the Virgin banner.

CFRPwingALbody

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Does anyone have ideas for who can take over the BHX-AMS and BHX-CDG routes?
Air France (HOP), KLM (cityhopper) and Transavia are most likely not allowed.

3AWM

Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Anyone can take them over but like remedy routes at LHR anyone without the competitive advantages of the incumbents (ie a hub on the other end) will find it difficult to get a foothold.

You are right when you indicate not clear who would come in. Easyjet maybe due to presence at AMS and CDG but never shown much interest in BHX before.

DobboDobbo

Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:05 am

3AWM wrote:
Effectively confirms that VS AF/KLM buyin will get approval otherwise why woudl they rule that.

I think it’s already been approved according to the link below (I assumed from reading the press release it had already gone through but your post above had me scratching me head!).

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-virg ... SKCN1Q11YS

factsonly

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 am

In Winter FlyBe operates BHX-AMS 7x daily, so letting 5x frequencies go would mean the airline could still operate 2x daily:

Winter 2018/2019:
- BE101 BHX-AMS E195
- BE103 BHX-AMS E175
- BE105 BHX-AMS E195
- BE107 BHX-AMS E175
- BE109 BHX-AMS E195
- BE111 BHX-AMS DH8-400
- BE113 BHX-AMS E195

In summer the route is operated 5x daily, thus loosing 5x slots would effectively close the route.

The question is whether or not BE maintains its 5x slots at AMS (and 3x slots at CDG) or whether BE allocates these slots to other routes.
A reallocation to other routes (or a slot return) depends on what form of cooperation BE/KL will have in future on UK-AMS routes (and BE/AF on UK-France routes).

Anyone's guess at present :spin: .

bluefrog

Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:23 am

looking at booking flights from LYS to MAN end of August in the next week or so, i'll not have any sleepless nights wondering if they'll go under now they're under new owners ?

davidjohnson6

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:23 pm

I very much doubt Flybe will go bankrupt in the next 12 months - you should be fine to book now for next month.

The risk I would see is possibly some leisure routes might not resume for summer 2020 and some of the minor bases (Cardiff and Doncaster, I'm looking at you) might see further cuts. City routes out of Manchester should be fine

Aisak

Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Probably the next big thing will be to put a VS* codeshare service on all flights operated by BE at LHR and MAN. The Virgin logo will suddenly multiply its presence on airport boards.
If the franchise deal is done by the winter timetable, no need for the codeshares. And also Connect will adopt the FF scheme of Virgin Atlantic and will cease to be the largest legacy (meaning no-LCC) airline without the ability to earn/burn points.

Interesting times for regional UK aviation...

leghorn

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Boeing74741R

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
They do have this but not all their staff know about it. I flew 3 segments with FlyBe the back end of June. On the 2 FlyBe direct bookings, the baggage Nazis were hard at work losing customers at Southampton but far more lenient in Manchester.

I flew with Flybe recently from Liverpool to Isle of Man and they didn't ask us to put our cases in a sizer at all. The inconsistency of this policy being applied isn't doing anybody any favours.

Aisak wrote:
And also Connect will adopt the FF scheme of Virgin Atlantic and will cease to be the largest legacy (meaning no-LCC) airline without the ability to earn/burn points.

Bring it on! :bigthumbsup:

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Aisak wrote:

Probably the next big thing will be to put a VS* codeshare service on all flights operated by BE at LHR and MAN. The Virgin logo will suddenly multiply its presence on airport boards.
If the franchise deal is done by the winter timetable, no need for the codeshares. And also Connect will adopt the FF scheme of Virgin Atlantic and will cease to be the largest legacy (meaning no-LCC) airline without the ability to earn/burn points.

Not just LHR and MAN, but the whole network will probably get the VS code. Why go in halfway?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

Cunard

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am

UKFLYER26 wrote:
I find it interesting they have gone to the trouble of creating a “logo” for Connect Airways when my understanding is that this is just a holding company name until they rebrand under the Virgin banner.

Even IAG the International Airlines Group the Anglo-Spanish holding company for Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Level and Vueling has it's own ''logo'' so no real surprise that Connect Airways has it's own logo as well even if Flybe is to rebrand under the Virgin banner!.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

8herveg

When can we expect an announcement for the Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Connect plans?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 am

It's been 2 months now since Virgin made the announcement on what they are renaming Flybe to, but there's been no further details as to what routes will be launched/changed from MAN.

Flybe announced on 13th November what changes they are making for next year, but am I right in thinking that once it is under control from VS, we could see further changes?

https://www.flybe.com/media/news/1911/1113

From MAN, there has been talk of services to/from India, to connect to the US market, but with the Summer 2020 season only a few months away, surely we can expect an announcement soon on all of this?

Zaf

Re: When can we expect an announcement for the Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Connect plans?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:58 am

I hope it's more successful than little red.

TC957

Re: When can we expect an announcement for the Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Connect plans?

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:06 am

This is a great question. About time some news came out on VS's intentions. I'm sure the airport directors at EXT & SOU will want some news too !

User001

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:10 am

I had heard April for the branding reveal (in terms of uniform, colour scheme, new website etc) and then go live in Sept 2020 for 'first flight'. But obviously that's not official so could change.

8herveg

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:13 am

User001 wrote:
I had heard April for the branding reveal (in terms of uniform, colour scheme, new website etc) and then go live in Sept 2020 for 'first flight'. But obviously that's not official so could change.

Oh really? I thought it would be much sooner than that. I thought (hoped!) the reveal would come in January, with a go live in March, for the S20 season. I guess it all takes a lot longer than that in reality.

JamesCousins

Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:20 pm

8herveg wrote:
User001 wrote:

Oh really? I thought it would be much sooner than that. I thought (hoped!) the reveal would come in January, with a go live in March, for the S20 season. I guess it all takes a lot longer than that in reality.

I guess there is no major rush to get things done 'tomorrow' so to speak, either. The VS consortium appear to have already culled the most unprofitable routes with the new timetables which should help to moderate losses. I'm interested in what the fleet strategy will be moving forward, the Q400s will need replacing in the not too distant future and factors such as how drastic/successful the turnaround will be and the situation at LHR will dictate that, too.

The other notable point is that VS is still building its Manchester network (at increasing pace it seems, too). Because of the lack of slots at Heathrow, MAN will be where we see much of the BE/Connect to VS mainline feed and VS need to have a big enough network to provide enough options for connecting PAX who would use Connect to get to & from Manchester.
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: W6 A320, W6 A321, EVA 77W, VS 787-9m AS A320, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738, LS 737

Bhoy

Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:59 pm

here's a question - what's the future for the GLA Aircraft/Crew base? With BE not operating to LHR and having just stopped MAN (replaced by LM), it's not like connect will do any connecting from there, apart from inbound for the seasonal GLA-MCO flight (and seasonal DL service to JFK)... It's currently just domestic flights operated ex-GLA by the 4 based Aircraft - could we see some flights to Paris added to use the joint venture with AF?
KLM's flights mostly operate with pretty full 73Gs and 738s, so I can't see them being downgraded to Q400 for connections...

The other 'northern' bases, EDI and ABZ on the otherhand have connections avaliable via LHR/MAN, while BHD has MAN avaliability.

8herveg

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:23 am

For anyone who may be interested/haven't read it in writing, this article states that Virgin is interested in operating from MAN to India, since the demise of 9W's BOM-MAN route earlier this year.

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 681_1.html

bintazocanarias

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
Do you think Virgin/Flybe partners could look at operating routes which are seen to be successful? For instance, could Air France and KLM use their Bombardier CRJ (Air France) or Embraer 175 (KLM) to launch Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam to these sort of places, freeing Flybe aircraft. Also, could you see Blue Islands keeping Jersey and as Stobart (part of Connect Airways consortium) operates Aer Lingus Regional - could they maintain Dublin/Cork links?

Blue Islands, from what I can gather, is ceasing its Flybe franchise, as they've been repainting aircraft into a mostly-white interim scheme. They'll almost definitely be keeping Jersey as their base, but I've got no idea about what will happen to Stobart's services. Will they maintain operating Aer Lingus flights, or will they be rebranded as Virgin too?

Aisak

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:35 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
Aisak wrote:

Not just LHR and MAN, but the whole network will probably get the VS code. Why go in halfway?

Will, yes. But in the meantime while they finish writing down the franchise contract, VS could just simply sign a quite simple codeshare agreement. Yes BE will be the main marketing flight and the operating carrier, but VS code and logo will suddenly flood screens. If they will do it network-wise good but as long as there is no “real” VS flight to connect to, there is no or little point to buy the VS* codeshare.

bintazocanarias wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
Do you think Virgin/Flybe partners could look at operating routes which are seen to be successful? For instance, could Air France and KLM use their Bombardier CRJ (Air France) or Embraer 175 (KLM) to launch Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam to these sort of places, freeing Flybe aircraft. Also, could you see Blue Islands keeping Jersey and as Stobart (part of Connect Airways consortium) operates Aer Lingus Regional - could they maintain Dublin/Cork links?

Blue Islands, from what I can gather, is ceasing its Flybe franchise, as they've been repainting aircraft into a mostly-white interim scheme. They'll almost definitely be keeping Jersey as their base, but I've got no idea about what will happen to Stobart's services. Will they maintain operating Aer Lingus flights, or will they be rebranded as Virgin too?

FlyBE has been retiring several aircraft from the fleet. I don’t see an scenario where they need AF/KLM to take over routes to free up aircraft.

As per StobartAir, they will continue as they are now, a capacity provider for other carriers. StobartAir do not market their own flights and there is no sign that it will change in the future. If sister airline needs capacity, under VS franchise flying or not, they will supply it.
If AerLingus needs ATRs for their regional operation StobartAir will/ could continue to provide it. StobartAir is an airline with its own AOC different from FlyBE and will continue that way. Another thing is if AerLingus, owned by IAG will want to contract capacity with a Virgin Atlantic owned carrier...

VSMUT

Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:08 pm

bintazocanarias wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

Incorrect. The Blue Islands aircraft are being painted white in anticipation of the yet to be announced Virgin Connect livery. The aircraft paintjobs reached the end of their lifespans, they had to repainted.

ShamrockBoi330

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 pm

FlyBe on the brink again, despite last years efforts, reporting Skynews tonight!

http://news.sky.com/story/regional-airl ... e-11907407

armadillomaster

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:50 pm

No FlyBe planes flying at the minute. Not sure if there should be, probably not but it’s still eerie

by738

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:57 pm

probably not that eerie mid Winter..

Ishrion

Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:58 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
No FlyBe planes flying at the minute. Not sure if there should be, probably not but it’s still eerie

Do they have flights at 11 p.m.?

seansasLCY

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Ishrion wrote:
armadillomaster wrote:

Do they have flights at 11 p.m.?

I doubt Flybe have any flights this late. Most are domestic UK flights so would be home by now.

SEU

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:45 pm

I'm confused, I thought they were already Virgin connect, it just wasnt formalised yet?

seansasLCY

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 pm

SEU wrote:
I'm confused, I thought they were already Virgin connect, it just wasnt formalised yet?

They are now under the Connect Consortium, who had agreed to provide funding (I think up to £100m) but according to Sky News, the requirements for the funding are now proving difficult for Flybe to meet.

My thoughts were perhaps one of the involved parties - maybe the private equity firm - are having second thoughts and don’t want to give the money or they believe it’s easier/better to let the carrier collapse and then just take the good bits. That way there’s no redundancy payments or lease termination clauses similar to Bmi Regional going under and loganair (owned by the same company) picking up the bits they wanted.

leghorn

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:54 pm

If they manage to get government support when they couldn't when I lost all my shares in FlyBE I'll be mightily pissed. It will also show that the consortium didn't bring any money to the table but COW still handed it over to them.

leghorn

Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:59 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
My thoughts were perhaps one of the involved parties - maybe the private equity firm - are having second thoughts and don’t want to give the money or they believe it’s easier/better to let the carrier collapse and then just take the good bits.

I assume they'll be able to steer what assets they want in to their hands easier than when it was under the control of the old management.

I sound like I'm raving but memories of how fucked up the coup was last year are still fresh in my mind.

edit: despite my own feelings I hope the staff don't get completely screwed over.

bmibaby737

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:43 am

armadillomaster wrote:

Completely normal! Flybe do not do night flying, most of the airport's they fly to shut overnight and many have strict curfews.

leghorn

Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:53 am

I assume that it is different this time in that the credit card companies wouldn't have got wind of this and retained credit card sales which was the cause last time. If there is a time of year when FlyBE should have a fairly healthy bank balance it is right after the Christmas holiday period.
I think it is timed to extort a few quid from the government. They can go all Alitalia on it without having to worry about censure from E.U. for illegal state support.

airhansa

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 am

What are the chances of Flybe routes being hoovered up by the likes of KLM?

Bhoy

Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:37 am

airhansa wrote:
What are the chances of Flybe routes being hoovered up by the likes of KLM?

The AMS-UK routes? KLM might be interested (though they serve most of the destinations themselves anyway), but the slots at Schiphol would probably be of more interest to them.

As for the domestic routes, well, who knows who’d be able to take anything over, in theory it’d have to be someone with an UK [rather than generic European] AOC in two weeks time... no one really knows what’ll happen after Brexit, or for that matter what plans Connect had for Flybe, anyway.

Virtual737

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:07 am

Perhaps if they insisted that their contracted staff never use the phrase "well we don't work for FlyBE so you'll have to take it up with them directly" they might not be in that position?

On a single SOU > MAN flight last year I must have heard that comment more than 20 times and there were only ~50 passengers. All of those extra £40 fees for "over-sized" luggage because the overhead bins are so small and they give ZERO leeway on it is biting them in the ass.

Just 1 executive needs to spend 1 day eavesdropping at a check-in desk and they will see exactly how FlyBE passengers are treated for being so stupid as to bring a carry-on that has fit in every other cabin on every other flight they have ever been on - except for FlyBE.

Perhaps have 2 bag sizers... if it doesn't fit in the small one you have to test it on the second. If it fits in the second (which is the same size of a mainline) then it gets checked for free. If not, it's the £40 charge. That way you might actually retain some customers for whom you were not the only choice.

b4thefall

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:19 am

If Flybe ever collapsed, it would be catastrophic for many airports, especially the likes of Belfast city airport. The overwhelming majority of flights from this airport are by Flybe.

skipness1E

Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 am

Would Eastern collapse with them? They no longer sell direct and are dependent on flybe.com.

bennett123
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 am

What about Exeter Airport, apart from a couple of Ryanair, and a couple of Tui, all non Flybe is only seasonal.

Bhoy

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 am

bennett123 wrote:
What about Exeter Airport, apart from a couple of Ryanair, and a couple of Tui, all non Flybe is only seasonal.

At least it’s an expansive destination for other Airlines, what with it’s 8 Runways.

FabDiva

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:42 am

If they do go it will be a big hit on Exeter as Flybe are one of the larger Employers (although much reduced as things like customer service have been offshored). I wonder if Flybe Aviation Services (the large maintenance facility) is isolated from the airline so might remain under Connect.

Also that means EXT will only have a single based TUI B738 and the visiting RYR flights 6 times per week, that will have an impact on the airport's viability. I think they may regret putting all their eggs in the Flybe basket until recently

GBNWB

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:49 am

What are the implications of APD on Flybe? Is the tax charged on domestic routes killing them off?

FabDiva

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:50 am

Bhoy wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

At least it’s an expansive destination for other Airlines, what with it’s 8 Runways.

I'm glad I saw the original crayonista thread otherwise I'd be very confused :rotfl: :laughing:

scouseflyer

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:58 am

MAN - Belfast City went out this morning

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/fli ... 001130700D

richcandy

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 am

GBNWB wrote:
What are the implications of APD on Flybe? Is the tax charged on domestic routes killing them off?

Would this not effect all airlines not just flybe?

It's a charge that the passenger pays and I guess that on some routes people will decide that the total cost is too much and travel by road or rail. However that's not always possible where there is water involved or when time is an issue.

Alex

FabDiva

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 am

APD is £12 on UK departures for short haul flying. But that applies on both outbound and return on domestic flights.

I think things like rail improvements that are coming online (for example the Cardiff to London flight was launched in response to frequent closures of the rail route for upgrade works, those are now almost complete and the accelerated timetable is now in operation, Exeter is similar as most GWR trains from Devon to London are now missing out the small stations, knocking several minutes off the travel time) and Flybe's irregular service pattern on second tier routes doesn't help with business traffic
Last edited by FabDiva on Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OA260

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 am

b4thefall wrote:
If Flybe ever collapsed, it would be catastrophic for many airports, especially the likes of Belfast city airport. The overwhelming majority of flights from this airport are by Flybe.

Indeed BHD would be decimated as well as many jobs on the ground.

Boeing74741R

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:31 am

OA260 wrote:
b4thefall wrote:

Similar with IOM, particularly given that Flybe are the sole operator on a number of routes out of there and easyJet have an irregular schedule on the LPL-IOM route which they both compete on.

Today's news tells me that Flybe's problems are far deeper-rooted than many of us had thought. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for staff whose jobs are on the line again, particularly so soon after what happened to Thomas Cook.

pdp

Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
OA260 wrote:
b4thefall wrote:

Similar with IOM, particularly given that Flybe are the sole operator on a number of routes out of there and easyJet have an irregular schedule on the LPL-IOM route which they both compete on.

Today's news tells me that Flybe's problems are far deeper-rooted than many of us had thought. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for staff whose jobs are on the line again, particularly so soon after what happened to Thomas Cook.

I'm wondering if this is a (bit nasty) tactical move to shed some excess parts of the business and integration into either Stobart or Virgin. Given the recent investment by Connect I would guess they want some form of return!

FlyBE has a good business model, it's just been poorly managed over the last few years.