Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

p468

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Flybe's latest (published) results (2018 H1) show they *own* 23 aircraft. anyone know what type these are, I'm assuming they're all Dash 8s?
And what would they be worth for liquidators?
Last edited by p468 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whywhytee

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:30 pm

In the past ~8 years the UK has lost BMI, Monarxh, Thomas Cook, and now Flybe...

readytotaxi

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:41 pm

The MAN flights delayed took off and on route to EDI & ABZ

https://www.flightradar24.com/BEE5LD/2413c327

Would be nice to think cabin crew up and down the cabin offering a free farewell drink on the flight. :bigthumbsup:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

alan3

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Hopefully not the death of British regional carriers....the days of Jersey European, Air UK, Brymon, Manx, etc. long gone.

There's still Eastern and Loganair. Hopefully they can survive.
Last edited by alan3 on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KingB123

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Im wondering what the impact would be on the airports that had services from flybe such as southampton, cardiff, belfast etc. I presume some of these airports could possibly close down as flybe was the main operator at many of these airports. Such a mess for everyone involved.
King B

eicvd

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:52 pm

KingB123 wrote:
Im wondering what the impact would be on the airports that had services from flybe such as southampton, cardiff, belfast etc. I presume some of these airports could possibly close down as flybe was the main operator at many of these airports. Such a mess for everyone involved.

Those airports closing down is a bit extreme, obviously it’s going to have a serious effect but other airlines will step on certain routes.
COYBIB

alan3

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:55 pm

KingB123 wrote:

Some of them will still have holiday charters and LCC flights to keep them afloat.. But for small airports and regional British traffic, Loganair or Eastern would need to step in.

BOAC1966

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:01 am

Last flight landed ABZ

KingB123

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:03 am

eicvd wrote:
KingB123 wrote:

Those airports closing down is a bit extreme, obviously it’s going to have a serious effect but other airlines will step on certain routes.

You never know, imagine having 90% of flights gone overnight in the case of southampton. I dont know if other airlines with larger aircraft would want to step in.

Im curious to see who will take what, and where. lets see how it all pans out.
King B

Breathe

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 am

How sad for those 2,000 workers at flybe.

I wonder if Eastern or Loganair might be able to pick up a few routes and save some of the jobs being lost.

VS4ever

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:10 am

Breathe wrote:

I wonder if Eastern or Loganair might be able to pick up a few routes and save some of the jobs being lost.

Do they have the spare equipment and with the Coronavirus going around the traveling appearing to be reducing at this point. Might be harder than you think to keep some of these routes going. However I agree with you, it would be great if they could pick some of them up for sure.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Gingersnap

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:10 am

If only Exeter committed to those 6 runways.....
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

XLA2008

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:12 am

Breathe wrote:

I can see both Eastern and Logan jumping in to fill some of that void left by Flybe.
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.“

AllNippon767

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:19 am

So nothing official from FlyBe themselves yet? Should've stopped trading 20 minutes ago if all as suggested is true.
Last edited by AllNippon767 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

philvardon

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:19 am

I know that it seems a foregone conclusion but has there been official confirmation or a press-release from Flybe yet?

Breathe

Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:21 am

XLA2008 wrote:
Breathe wrote:

I can see both Eastern and Logan jumping in to fill some of that void left by Flybe.

EDI-CWL is one I was thinking Loganair could pick up. Is there any scope for some of the LCCs like Ryanair and easyJet to be able to pick up any of the more busier routes?

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:01 am

VS4ever wrote:
Breathe wrote:

Do they have the spare equipment and with the Coronavirus going around the traveling appearing to be reducing at this point. Might be harder than you think to keep some of these routes going. However I agree with you, it would be great if they could pick some of them up for sure.

Loganair received Stobart owned ATR-700's G-FBXA and XB last week. I believe these are outwith the already announced ATR-42 fleet renewal programme ? Another ex BMI-Regional ERJ is about to be reactivated too. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of reason to suggest they are poised to take advantage of events transpiring. I'm no gambling man, but I'm certainly keeping an eye on Loganair and what comes next.

Channex737

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:07 am

philvardon wrote:
I know that it seems a foregone conclusion but has there been official confirmation or a press-release from Flybe yet?

Not an official press release as such, but according to Devon live a letter was sent to employees at 00:54, so it would seem that it’s confirmed.

Source and full article at: https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... on-3914317
Farewell Channel Express 733s, enjoy your retirement :wave:
FINALLY managed to spot an A220: HB-JBI at BHX :veryhappy:
Recent flights: LS MAN-NCE, NCE-MAN

mattyfitzg

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 am

To staff from CEO. It’s official.

Dear Team,
It’s with enormous sadness and a deep feeling of sorrow that I share the upsetting news that Flybe is shortly being put into Administration. Despite every effort, we now have no alternative – having failed to find a feasible solution to allow us to keep trading.
I expect Ernst & Young (EY) to be appointed as Administrators and once official they will be in contact to explain the situation and next steps. I do appreciate how distressing this news is and the shock and numbness that you will be feeling.
Despite your hard work, commitment and some amazing results which we have delivered, and have been achieving up to the last day of operation – particularly for our customers who depend on us across the country, we have come to the end of the road. While our shareholders and the Leadership Team have worked with the Government and key suppliers to try to get the funding and support needed, this has not materialised.
The coronavirus has impacted both our shareholders and ourselves and has put additional pressure on an already difficult situation. I am very sorry that we have not been able to secure the funding needed to continue to deliver our turnaround plan. Although I have only had the honour of being your CEO for 8 months, it’s been an incredible privilege to lead such an amazing team of people and the Flybe family.
I could not have asked for more – your unwavering commitment, support and resilience to deliver for our customers has been truly inspiring. I am just so sorry that we have not been able to see this through. I feel so proud of you and want to take this opportunity to thank you and wish you the very best for the future. Mark

Shrewfly

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:18 am

Breathe wrote:

Eastern just announced a whole host of routes (for Flybe) from MME/Teesside/Durham Tees Valley.

I imagine they are gone, even if Eastern survive on as a standalone. If there are routes to pick up from the collapse of BE, Teesside will be low priority and those aircraft may end up elsewhere on the more predictable and profitable bits of the BE network

Thoughts go out to the innocent staff and passengers of FlyBe

philvardon

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:27 am

Channex737 wrote:
philvardon wrote:

Not an official press release as such, but according to Devon live a letter was sent to employees at 00:54, so it would seem that it’s confirmed.

Source and full article at: https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... on-3914317

Thank you for the link and thank you to Mattyfitzg for copying the letter from the CEO. Such a sad time for everyone at Flybe.

eagles94

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:37 am

mattyfitzg wrote:
To staff from CEO. It’s official.

Dear Team,
It’s with enormous sadness and a deep feeling of sorrow that I share the upsetting news that Flybe is shortly being put into Administration. Despite every effort, we now have no alternative – having failed to find a feasible solution to allow us to keep trading.
I expect Ernst & Young (EY) to be appointed as Administrators and once official they will be in contact to explain the situation and next steps. I do appreciate how distressing this news is and the shock and numbness that you will be feeling.
Despite your hard work, commitment and some amazing results which we have delivered, and have been achieving up to the last day of operation – particularly for our customers who depend on us across the country, we have come to the end of the road. While our shareholders and the Leadership Team have worked with the Government and key suppliers to try to get the funding and support needed, this has not materialised.
The coronavirus has impacted both our shareholders and ourselves and has put additional pressure on an already difficult situation. I am very sorry that we have not been able to secure the funding needed to continue to deliver our turnaround plan. Although I have only had the honour of being your CEO for 8 months, it’s been an incredible privilege to lead such an amazing team of people and the Flybe family.
I could not have asked for more – your unwavering commitment, support and resilience to deliver for our customers has been truly inspiring. I am just so sorry that we have not been able to see this through. I feel so proud of you and want to take this opportunity to thank you and wish you the very best for the future. Mark

Doesn’t seem very heartfelt, in fact it seems very generic.
My thoughts go to the thousands of hardworking staff who have put their heart into this airline, and have been kept in the dark for the past few years as incompetent management teams were replaced with even more incompetent management teams. The only way is up from here, all the best to all involved.

crownvic

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:19 am

What happens to airports like Newquay??? Will anyone fill the gap?

qf789

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:25 am

UK CAA has now confirmed Flybe is in administration

https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/sta ... 71297?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:40 am

Flybe customers are also being told to make their own alternate arrangements for travel, so no rescue flights it seems atm

https://twitter.com/JournoDannyAero/sta ... 22816?s=20
Forum Moderator

aamd11

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:41 am

qf789 wrote:
Flybe customers are also being told to make their own alternate arrangements for travel, so no rescue flights it seems atm

Unlikely there would be any - I'm sure the vast majority of flyBE passengers aren't ATOL protected.

UPNYGuy

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread Update: Flybe ceases flying, enters administration

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:51 am

it is on www.flybe.com

VSMUT

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread Update: Flybe ceases flying, enters administration

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:28 am

So what about franchise operators like Blue Islands and codeshares with Air France and KLM?

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:33 am

They just entered administration due to Coronavirus across UK and Europe.

https://twitter.com/flybe/status/1235403863735144448
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

seansasLCY

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 am

Shrewfly wrote:
Breathe wrote:

Eastern just announced a whole host of routes (for Flybe) from MME/Teesside/Durham Tees Valley.

I imagine they are gone, even if Eastern survive on as a standalone. If there are routes to pick up from the collapse of BE, Teesside will be low priority and those aircraft may end up elsewhere on the more predictable and profitable bits of the BE network

Thoughts go out to the innocent staff and passengers of FlyBe

Actually they said they will continue. Eastern’s booking system should be up by Friday.

FB330

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 am

Franchise partner Eastern will continue to operate flights as an independent from MME, including all the new routes just announced.

f4f3a

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:56 am

What routes did they operate from Southampton? Can't find info now on wiki. Going to hit small regional airports hard . Hope eastern or Logan can fill the gap

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:59 am

qf789 wrote:

Flybe not a member of the ATOL scheme I presume, being a regional commuter airline, not a 'tour operator'. ?

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 am

SQ789 wrote:
They just entered administration due to Coronavirus across UK and Europe.

https://twitter.com/flybe/status/1235403863735144448

As smokescreens go, that's a good one.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:10 am

There's an ATOL scheme checker on the CAA website, a check for Flybe provides this result.

pythoniels

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 am

Sad that this small but important airline ceases flying. Really curious to see how the development of new routes will go on de domestic UK market, as well as routes from BHX, EXT etc.

Loganair would be a good candidate, if they would manage to increase their fleet significantly on a short term.

Danhill1905

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:42 am

Gutted for the staff at Flybe. Never flew them but always heard that the staff were amazing.

Personally, I think Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Air and Cyrus Capital have a lot of questions to answer. Wonder what this means about the all new fabulous Virgin Connect....

Arion640

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:58 am

Long time coming sadly. Surprised they went on as long as they did.

I wonder if the pieces will be picked up by Virgin again now they are free of the debt.

Armodeen

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:07 am

Southampton today were scheduled to have 39 flybe and 4 non FlyBe departures. You don’t think they risk closure?! I think 6-7 flights total will operate from SOU today!

eicvd wrote:
KingB123 wrote:

UAL777UK

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:10 am

Danhill1905 wrote:
Gutted for the staff at Flybe. Never flew them but always heard that the staff were amazing.

Personally, I think Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Air and Cyrus Capital have a lot of questions to answer. Wonder what this means about the all new fabulous Virgin Connect....

Cannot agree more on both accounts. I flew them many a time out of Southampton and they will be sorely missed. Its not just the airline here, its the whole infrastructure around them. Southampton and Exeter airports overnight literally become ghost towns and that will lead to further job losses. Lets hope other airlines step in promptly, although as the industry itself is struggling at the moment.....who knows!

A very sad day. :(

OA260

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:12 am

Response from VS

downtown273

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 am

Could British Airways (through IAG > Iberia > Air Nostrum) start picking up any potential profitable routes? It looks like YW have some CRJ's stored.

pdp

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:10 am

downtown273 wrote:
Could British Airways (through IAG > Iberia > Air Nostrum) start picking up any potential profitable routes? It looks like YW have some CRJ's stored.

Would they work with some of the shorter runways that the regional airports have? I thought the CRJ was decidedly average in its runway performance.

Very sad for the staff and the UK at large. Whilst Flybe was dysfunctional at best, they provided an essential service the the regional airports the larger carriers simply weren't interested in.

I wonder if LOT will continue on its mission of gobbling up every used E-Jet it can find with the ex-Flybe ones? If anyone wants to replace them they need to use either the Q400s or get some ATRs, the E-Jet is too much for a small airline like them.

Raptormodeller

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am

So what's going to happen with Air France codeshare flights? Will those operated by flybe aircraft now be operated by the AF fleet or what?
A380 A330 A318 A319 A320 A321 B737 B757 B767 B747 MD80 E185 E195 Q400 EF2000
AF BA QF SQ HOP LT AA BE

readytotaxi

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:13 am

Southampton airport must be quite a ghost town with 90% of movements gone, the control tower must be very quiet. You realise then that it is not just Flybe staff it effects but all the support workers to.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Zaf

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:18 am

crownvic wrote:

Flying to places with a small population could be the reason they are bankrupt. NQY should be connected by train from LON. better for the environment too.

leghorn

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:30 am

Zaf wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Flying to places with a small population could be the reason they are bankrupt. NQY should be connected by train from LON. better for the environment too.

An 86 seater Q400 could be filled daily from any decent sized population centre in the UK at reasonable fares and doesn't guzzle gas on a per seat basis.
Their debt overhang brought them down, not the Q400s. Those Q400s will find similar usage elsewhere in well managed companies and continue shuttling passengers around cheaply and in an environmentally friendly manner.

StdTank80002

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am

Zaf wrote:
crownvic wrote:

All well and good saying that but the rail infrastructure needs to be fit for purpose.

StdTank80002

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:36 am

StdTank80002 wrote:
Zaf wrote:
crownvic wrote:

All well and good saying that but the rail infrastructure needs to be fit for purpose.

It's very sad to see yet another fairly sizeable UK airline go under. Thoughts with staff and also those on the ground at airports who will now hav an uncertain wait to find out what may happen to them.

MCTSET

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am

What is going to happen to there aircraft, the Q400, there is going to be a lot of them released onto the market, doubt they can be absorbed quickly. I think the embraces will probably go to US market mainly and other places here and there that shouldn’t be too hard, the Q400 is the difficulty, thoughts?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos