Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nighthawk

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread Update: Flybe ceases flying, enters administration

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:57 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
Danhill1905 wrote:
Blue Islands has apparently expressed interest in taking over the PSO route from Newquay to LHR/LGW.

Surely this cant be given PSO status now that BA have launched LHR-NQY?

3AWM

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread Update: Flybe ceases flying, enters administration

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:07 pm

In terms of the LHR slots Flybe need to have served them until the end of the IATA season 25th March so on that basis they would go back to BA. There is also some other stuff in the published document about a 30 day grace period if the operator fails to meet the operating terms (giving them 30 days to put things right). If this is included it would get them to 25th March and maybe administrators could argue that the slots could be sold. I'm a bit out of my depth there with the legalities but maybe the administrators will have a go with that one the same way than Monarch's did over LGW slots.

If the slots went back to BA of course anyone could apply for them again so Virgin could just apply to operate again on EDI/ABZ and serve those routes for another 3 years before being able to transfer to other Euro routes.

I think ultimately Flybe needed to go into administration to shed it's lease commitments, maybe 1/3rd of their routes have a good margin but the rest of them are being served for very little profit at all or simply to service lease commitments. If there are routes that do make a profit the existing shareholders can just take on the leases they need to service those and continue as a smaller entity.

seansasLCY

Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:10 pm

nighthawk wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:
Danhill1905 wrote:
Blue Islands has apparently expressed interest in taking over the PSO route from Newquay to LHR/LGW.

Surely this cant be given PSO status now that BA have launched LHR-NQY?

They are only launching seasonal so maybe? Flybe flew to SEN while claiming PSO for LHR.

leghorn

Re: Flybe News and Discussion Thread

Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:25 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Zaf wrote:
crownvic wrote:
What happens to airports like Newquay??? Will anyone fill the gap?

Flying to places with a small population could be the reason they are bankrupt. NQY should be connected by train from LON. better for the environment too.

This is one of the big myths about emissions - the train is not necessarily better. Rail is a combination of steel, concrete, ground rock and a whole heap of maintenance intensive infrastructure which emits heaps of Co2. In peripheral locations like Cornwall, your greenest option is to fly with a next generation, efficient turboprop.

I travel on the A5 near Frankfurt where they have put in powerlines for electric trucks. The amount of additional steel posts and wiring is beyond belief. Basically the track is a electric trainline with asphalt instead of rails.

Fitlikemin

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Seems ABZBHX will see competition as Eastern intend also starting the route as well as Loganair.
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... VOx5OsrteM

SeanM1997

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:06 pm

Fitlikemin wrote:
Seems ABZBHX will see competition as Eastern intend also starting the route as well as Loganair.
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... VOx5OsrteM

Of the 3 new Eastern Airways routes, only Southampton-Manchester will have no direct competition. Aberdeen-Birmingham and Southampton-Newcastle will have competition from Loganair

No schedule or start date has yet been announced from Eastern Airways

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Danhill1905 wrote:
With Virgin Atlantic refusing to invest more money into Flybe, does anybody else think Virgin let Flybe go to get hold of those lucrative LHR slots?

It’s a thought in my head that makes more and more sense

That's what I've been hearing locally and anecdotally. I also believe the Virgin/Stobart/Cyrus partnership is dead in the water. For A.net purposes we can call those 'rumours'.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:22 pm

yuomi wrote:
Interesting to see how many routes Loganair are hoovering up, and particularly interesting to see that (so) many of their routes (now) don't touch Scotland;

Carlisle-Belfast City
Carlisle-Dublin
Carlisle-London Southend
City of Derry-London Southend
City of Derry-Manchester (seasonal)
Jersey-Humberside (seasonal)
Newcastle-Bergen
Newcastle-Brussels
Newcastle-Exeter
Newcastle-Newquay
Newcastle-Southampton
Newcastle-Stavanger
Newcastle-Gurnsey

I know they're not a dedicated Scottish airline per se, but just hope they don't overreach here given the overwhelming number of gaps that have suddenly become available in the domestic market.

Doesn't Loganair do some non Scottish PSO work too ?

Danhill1905

Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:32 pm

3AWM wrote:
In terms of the LHR slots Flybe need to have served them until the end of the IATA season 25th March so on that basis they would go back to BA. There is also some other stuff in the published document about a 30 day grace period if the operator fails to meet the operating terms (giving them 30 days to put things right). If this is included it would get them to 25th March and maybe administrators could argue that the slots could be sold. I'm a bit out of my depth there with the legalities but maybe the administrators will have a go with that one the same way than Monarch's did over LGW slots.

If the slots went back to BA of course anyone could apply for them again so Virgin could just apply to operate again on EDI/ABZ and serve those routes for another 3 years before being able to transfer to other Euro routes.

I think ultimately Flybe needed to go into administration to shed it's lease commitments, maybe 1/3rd of their routes have a good margin but the rest of them are being served for very little profit at all or simply to service lease commitments. If there are routes that do make a profit the existing shareholders can just take on the leases they need to service those and continue as a smaller entity.

If the slots are returned to BA, would there be rules applied to them where they have to use the slots on domestic routes or could BA use them worldwide?

jghealey

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Does anyone know what the situation with Stobart Air is? All their Flybe ops have been cancelled but the Aer Lingus Regional flights are operating as usual. If Stobart hasn't gone bankrupt and Eastern/Loganair are able to resume flying why aren't Stobart? I get that they're part of the Connect Airways consortium but considering they are still flying or Aer Lingus clearly they have not gone bankrupt like Flybe?

AC853

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:13 pm

MCTSET wrote:
What is going to happen to there aircraft, the Q400, there is going to be a lot of them released onto the market, doubt they can be absorbed quickly. I think the embraces will probably go to US market mainly and other places here and there that shouldn’t be too hard, the Q400 is the difficulty, thoughts?

Air Canada Jazz should take some and get rid of their horrible 100-300’s.

AMS18C36C

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:14 pm

Jetty wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if KL starts some new flights to the UK on short notice. To i.e. Southampton FlyBe had 5 flights a day which were mostly full. KL must have recources available due to coronavirus related cancellations.

Only if KLM get's their hands on FlyBE slots, otherwise no rooom for expansion.

KL has enough own slots available due to cancellations right now. Also if nobody buys FlyBe (as a whole, AMS slots aren’t for sale separately) slots go back to the pool and KL is entitled to at least 25% of them according to slot distribution regulations.

Which means KLM could end up with several Thousand slots, right?

Polot

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Jetty wrote:
FlyRow wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if KL starts some new flights to the UK on short notice. To i.e. Southampton FlyBe had 5 flights a day which were mostly full. KL must have recources available due to coronavirus related cancellations.

Only if KLM get's their hands on FlyBE slots, otherwise no rooom for expansion.

KL has enough own slots available due to cancellations right now. Also if nobody buys FlyBe (as a whole, AMS slots aren’t for sale separately) slots go back to the pool and KL is entitled to at least 25% of them according to slot distribution regulations.

What regulations make KL entitled to at least 25% of them?

Bhoy

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 pm

jghealey wrote:
Does anyone know what the situation with Stobart Air is? All their Flybe ops have been cancelled but the Aer Lingus Regional flights are operating as usual. If Stobart hasn't gone bankrupt and Eastern/Loganair are able to resume flying why aren't Stobart? I get that they're part of the Connect Airways consortium but considering they are still flying or Aer Lingus clearly they have not gone bankrupt like Flybe?

Do Stobart have their own distribution channels? Blue Islands and Eastern have at least had their own ticketing stock in the past.

bennett123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:33 pm

At least Exeter keeps Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

sandyb123

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Bhoy wrote:
jghealey wrote:

Do Stobart have their own distribution channels? Blue Islands and Eastern have at least had their own ticketing stock in the past.

No they don’t and that is a problem. They’re basically an ACMI charter operation. That’s not to stop them starting a retail front but that will take time and whatever they’d call it would be unknown. At least Loganair / Blueisland / Eastern have some brand longevity.

Distribution is also key and getting setup on the GDS / Skyscanner types etc all takes time. I can’t see Stobart entering into direct sales.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:52 pm

The scene at GLA this afternoon. T-tails and tractors.

KingB123

Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:23 pm

SQ789 wrote:
After Flybe gone bust, I check that it also affects frequent flyers as well. BE do have codeshare with most airlines like EY and EK as well.

This! i wondered that apart from maybe EK. A lot of airlines will have lost their code sharing regional connectivity within the UK. This meaning airlines like EY,SQ etc etc all could potentially lose more revenue through this. It also screws them a bit because many of these airlines wont have that reach across the UK and ireland anymore.
King B

tonforty

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:45 pm

I read that Loganair are starting up new routes within weeks and are going to be adding 400 flights per week. Where are they getting all this extra capacity from?!

Arion640

Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:56 pm

JannEejit wrote:

I think blocking the planes in is a little over the top.

BealineV953

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:03 pm

3AWM wrote:

Usually where an airline goes out of business its slots are returned to the pool to be reallocated by the slot coordinator.
Someone close to the sale of the Monarch slots told me that they were available to sell because Monarch's AOC had not been cancelled. The Administrator argued that this meant Monarch still existed as an airline even well after it had ceased operations, and that this meant the slots were an asset to be sold.
If that is now a precedent, and the Flybe AOC has not been cancelled then the Flybe slots might be sold.
However, as suggested there are specific conditions relating to the one time BA LHR slots. I'd expect BA to argue that the conditions of holding the slots have not been met, and that they should be returned to BA.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

PlymSpotter

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Arion640 wrote:

Not really - those planes have and will still be incurring unpaid landing, parking and potentially other fees. The aircraft's owners just want the planes back, so they need to be given an incentive to pay the outstanding fees before the aircraft is released.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

BealineV953

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:13 pm

seansasLCY wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
Zaf wrote:

Flying to places with a small population could be the reason they are bankrupt. NQY should be connected by train from LON. better for the environment too.

Newquay is connected by train to London. The journey takes from 5h 20m to 6h 20m depending on the service.
Its the same for many other FlyBe routes. For example:
SOU-MAN - 4h 10m to 4h 20m by train
SOU-NCL - by 5h 20m to 6h 20m by train
SOU-EDI - 6h 50m to 7h 50m by train
SOU-ABZ - 9h 40m to 10h 30m by train
All of those routes are around 1h to 1h 30 by air, making day trips possible.

To and from London the train is a viable alternative to flying, but between many other cities taking the train takes too long.

This morning the Transport Minister was on TV claiming that the Government had done "everything it could" to save FlyBe.
Really?
The Government took a delay on collecting APD. And, so far as I am aware, that was it.
The Government talked about reviewing APD, but then delayed that claiming an issue with the EU. The UK left the EU on 01FEB. And, in any case APD is not an EU tax.
In a much earlier thread someone suggested something like reducing APD for air journeys where the rail journey was more than, say, 5 hours. I liked the sound of that.
A version of that would be paying PSOS (did I get that right, and is it Public Service Operating Support?) for all services where the rail journey would be more than 5 hours.
That would be the Government doing 'all it could' to support regional connectivity.

The review of APD happened.
The UK may have left the EU but we are still bound by the rules until the end of the transition period. The problem is therefore that they could not cut APD only for domestic flights and would have had to extend such a cut to all EU flights which the Chancellor refused to do.

PSO routes are also regulated and have rules and requirements to ensure that they are not just state aid.

There was little more the Government could do. Flybe mortgaged all of their assets so it was impossible for the Government to lend them money as there was nothing to secure it against. Most other carriers would fight any other support and probably win on state aid rules. As I said earlier, that may not be the case once the transition period ends but we are not there yet.

What was the outcome of the APD review?
What EU rule covers APD, and prevented a cut of UK domestic APD?
Yes, I know that PSO routes are regulated. I'm saying that if the Government is serious about regional connectivity, it should look at PSO on routes like SOU-ABZ.
I'm not suggesting that Flybe should have been bailed out; Flybe appears to have been beyond saving.
I'm saying that other carriers should be supported in replacing Flybe where rail is not a sensible alternative.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

bcworld

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Not really - those planes have and will still be incurring unpaid landing, parking and potentially other fees. The aircraft's owners just want the planes back, so they need to be given an incentive to pay the outstanding fees before the aircraft is released.

I guess the question is...what is the likelihood that the owner just sneaks into the airport, snatches the plane and flies off without approval from the tower and a flight plan?

VS4ever

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Standard practice, I remember seeing the Monarch aircraft at BHX with the exact same set up. Smart move on the airport's part..given the circumstances.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

Arion640

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:33 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

As mentioned who would try to sneak in and ‘steal’ the aircraft?

ATC would just permit the aircraft leaving. It’s just not plausible.

leghorn

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 pm

you'll have to squint to read it:
http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uplo ... AYLULm.jpg

Virgin's own bookings have fallen off a cliff so they didn't want to give money to FlyBE.

KingOrGod

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:34 pm

leghorn wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Zaf wrote:

This is one of the big myths about emissions - the train is not necessarily better. Rail is a combination of steel, concrete, ground rock and a whole heap of maintenance intensive infrastructure which emits heaps of Co2. In peripheral locations like Cornwall, your greenest option is to fly with a next generation, efficient turboprop.

I travel on the A5 near Frankfurt where they have put in powerlines for electric trucks. The amount of additional steel posts and wiring is beyond belief. Basically the track is a electric trainline with asphalt instead of rails.

I travel between Weiterstadt and Langen often, and man that trial truck track on the A5 looks like sh1t.

JannEejit

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

tonforty wrote:
I read that Loganair are starting up new routes within weeks and are going to be adding 400 flights per week. Where are they getting all this extra capacity from?!

They still have some slack amongst the inherited former BMI Regional ERJ fleet, they are acquiring numerous ATR-42 from Air France Hop as an ongoing fleet (Saab 340) renewal project and just last week acquired ex FlyBe/Stobart ATR-72's, G-FBXA/XB.

alan3

Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 pm

Links to provide backup of details of Loganair and Eastern taking over some Flybe routes:

News Article:

Loganair: https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... be-routes/
Eastern: https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... be-routes/

From airline website

Loganair: https://www.loganair.co.uk/flybe-routes ... y-loganair
Eastern: https://www.easternairways.com/news/69/ ... s-3-routes

A380MSN004

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:13 am

Arion640 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

That happened in Africa

Arion640

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:16 am

A380MSN004 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

That happened in Africa

Once, in angola?

SeanM1997

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:43 am

Aurigny to launch Guernsey-Birmingham from 11 March and Guernsey-Exeter from 12 March 2020

VS4ever

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:55 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Aurigny to launch Guernsey-Birmingham from 11 March and Guernsey-Exeter from 12 March 2020

Wonder if this is where the aircraft for these routes is coming from?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -feb-2020/
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

pdp

Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:02 am

JannEejit wrote:
tonforty wrote:

They still have some slack amongst the inherited former BMI Regional ERJ fleet, they are acquiring numerous ATR-42 from Air France Hop as an ongoing fleet (Saab 340) renewal project and just last week acquired ex FlyBe/Stobart ATR-72's, G-FBXA/XB.

Indeed. Some of the ERJs are only flying one or two domestic roundtrips a day!

bennett123
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:34 am

This is the situation at EXE again today.

https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/arrivals-departures/

Even with Loganair picking up Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow and Aurigny doing the Channel Islands, This must be hitting them hard.

Bear in mind, limited Coronavirus effect in the UK yet.

opticalilyushin

Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:41 am

Arion640 wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Reminds me of that dramatized US show: Airplane Repo

ltbewr

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:03 am

Sadly a mix of financial reality with the final blow the affects on future bookings from the coronavirus in the short term in sharp decline the final blow. The ownership partners see their money being wasted with little future benefit, so had to cut it off.

rlwynn

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:09 pm

A Loganair ERJ was at DUS today.
I can drive faster than you

seansasLCY

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:32 pm

rlwynn wrote:

They already operate a Glasgow-Dusseldorf service so I assume it's operating that.

rlwynn

Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:39 pm

Yes it was. First time I noticed it.
I can drive faster than you

F9Animal

Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:34 am

I just learned of Flybe's collapse. Absolutely crushed for the workers. What a colorful little airline, one I admired so much. I sincerely wish the employees the best, and hope they will secure work ASAP. I heard some of their pensions may be in peril? This just sucks so bad. :(
I Am A Different Animal!!

PANAMsterdam

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:00 am

JannEejit wrote:

How many different liveries can an airline have? Not a great investment when you're bleeding money, Flybe!
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

FabDiva

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:07 am

The centre one was the original livery, the front one was the current livery. The rear one was a partial repaint following repair after having a MLG collapse at Amsterdam and remained a one off

Arion640

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:17 am

FabDiva wrote:
The centre one was the original livery, the front one was the current livery. The rear one was a partial repaint following repair after having a MLG collapse at Amsterdam and remained a one off

Was that only a one off? I thought they were all planned to get that livery.

But i agree, flybe must have wasted a lot on rebranding over the years.

jghealey

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:37 am

Arion640 wrote:
FabDiva wrote:

Was that only a one off? I thought they were all planned to get that livery.

But i agree, flybe must have wasted a lot on rebranding over the years.

Yes, at the time they did say the whole fleet would be repainted, but obviously that was scrapped after Virgin took over. They were going to do it during maintenance where it would have been done anyway so apparently no added cost. Still though, it's unnecessary and created confusion I suppose.

FabDiva

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:41 am

As far as I know no others appeared, but around that point they seemed to pause repaints. I wonder if the all purple was proving too expensive to maintain.

JannEejit

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm

rlwynn wrote:

Daily GLA-DUS service started almost a year a ago after Eurowings cancelled their service.

mattyfitzg

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:29 pm

bennett123 wrote:
This is the situation at EXE again today.

https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/arrivals-departures/

Even with Loganair picking up Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow and Aurigny doing the Channel Islands, This must be hitting them hard.

Bear in mind, limited Coronavirus effect in the UK yet.

Enter Air to Humberside is quite possibly one of the most depressing things I’ve ever seen on a departure board.

bennett123
Topic Author

Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:00 pm

What is the problem with Enter Air?.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos