richiemo
Topic Author
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm

United EWR to SFO not always PS?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:07 am

I notice that a flight from EWR to SFO today (departing 4:00, flight 1885) is utilizing a legacy Continental 757 (ship 3117). My understanding is all the PS 757s are legacy United 757s (Pratt & Whitneys). So I guess United will basically send a non-PS flight to SF or LA, depending on equipment availability???
 
tpaewr
Posts: 682
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:43 am

detroitbadboy wrote:
Yup



No, not yup.

All the 757 now have the CO style interior. The legacy UA have a larger 24 seat cabin with the CO style diamond seat. That replaced the former UA 3 cabin lay out soon after the merger. The sCO 752 are exactly the same expect they have a smaller 16 seat cabin. These Rolls powered a/c have the legs to fly to OPO and TXL as well. Where as the sUA ones do not. But the experience in J is seamless.
 
hoya
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 am

UA flies the sCO 752 between LAX/SFO and EWR as they have lie-flats. You'll also see international widebodies, along with the Domestic 777s, on the route as they all have lie-flats in First.
Hoya Saxa!!
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23495
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:27 am

Been like this for years. The CO 757 and ex UA ps birds are intermixed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
CriticalPoint
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:27 am

richiemo wrote:
I notice that a flight from EWR to SFO today (departing 4:00, flight 1885) is utilizing a legacy Continental 757 (ship 3117). My understanding is all the PS 757s are legacy United 757s (Pratt & Whitneys). So I guess United will basically send a non-PS flight to SF or LA, depending on equipment availability???


You can also find yourself in the daily 777s and 787-10s
 
codc10
Posts: 2448
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2000 7:18 am

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:41 am

There are some minor differences (Y seat design and IFE), but the 757-200s have virtually identical cabin products, just with different J/Y cabin sizes. The p.s. name is no longer in use.
 
User avatar
ua900
Posts: 1528
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:14 am

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:06 am

richiemo wrote:
I notice that a flight from EWR to SFO today (departing 4:00, flight 1885) is utilizing a legacy Continental 757 (ship 3117). My understanding is all the PS 757s are legacy United 757s (Pratt & Whitneys). So I guess United will basically send a non-PS flight to SF or LA, depending on equipment availability???


United p.s. has been discontinued for two years now and was rebranded Premium transcontinental service. What's the difference?

1. Flat-bed guarantee, but no guarantee of plane type. While 752s still prevail on most flights, technically anything else can and does fly Premium transcontinental service as long as it has flat beds. When and if some UA 737s get flat beds, premium transcontinental service might shift to them.
2. The Business Class service is branded as "United Business" (i.e. not Domestic United First OR Polaris) and as such features the international Saks duvets, the slimmed down amenity kits and a slimmed down version of int'l service.
3. Service has expanded to BOS, and may expand further a la B6 Mint. It's really just an enhanced but uneventful coast-to-coast service now, but by no means limited to LAX / SFO - NYC like in the old days. Plus flat beds are more common now as hub-to-hub routes feature more flat beds than ever before.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH
 
UA444
Posts: 2768
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:14 am

tpaewr wrote:
detroitbadboy wrote:
Yup



No, not yup.

All the 757 now have the CO style interior. The legacy UA have a larger 24 seat cabin with the CO style diamond seat. That replaced the former UA 3 cabin lay out soon after the merger. The sCO 752 are exactly the same expect they have a smaller 16 seat cabin. These Rolls powered a/c have the legs to fly to OPO and TXL as well. Where as the sUA ones do not. But the experience in J is seamless.

The PW 757 has more range and better fuel burn than the RR. The issue is that most of the remaining ones are not ETOPS rated. There is nothing stopping them from flying tide routes if they sent one of the ETOPS ones
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:04 am

PS is no longer a thing, hasn't been for some years. It's now marketed as Premium Transcontinental Service... it's not tied to a specific aircraft any longer.
 
wn676
Posts: 1676
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:33 am

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:19 am

UA444 wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
detroitbadboy wrote:
Yup



No, not yup.

All the 757 now have the CO style interior. The legacy UA have a larger 24 seat cabin with the CO style diamond seat. That replaced the former UA 3 cabin lay out soon after the merger. The sCO 752 are exactly the same expect they have a smaller 16 seat cabin. These Rolls powered a/c have the legs to fly to OPO and TXL as well. Where as the sUA ones do not. But the experience in J is seamless.

The PW 757 has more range and better fuel burn than the RR. The issue is that most of the remaining ones are not ETOPS rated. There is nothing stopping them from flying tide routes if they sent one of the ETOPS ones


The 75Ks have a 15,000lb MTOW disadvantage compared to the RR aircraft, and if I’m not mistaken half of the fleet is ETOPS rated.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.
 
N649DL
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: United EWR to SFO not always PS

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:35 am

EWR-SFO on UA is a combo of the ex-CO 757 (16 J seats) and legacy UA with a larger J cabin also spread between BOS-SFO and EWR-LAX. There are only 15 frames left, hence why UA flies the awful 777s with the 2-4-2 Business Class on the route as they're stretched thin.

The ex-CO 757 are also on BOS-LAX (3x daily for the most part) now which has recently been converted to lie-flat in J class after being on 738 and 739ER.

In Economy Class, you can tell the difference between the sCO and sUA 757s as the sCO frames have new seat covers but older AVOD and the sUA frames have more flat-lined and current AVOD systems. Some of these frames are older with a few delivered between 1989-1993. The sUA planes that used to fly JFK-SFO/LAX have 26-28 J class seats as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos