Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

marcogr12
Topic Author

Why no FR or U2 at JSI?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Skiathos island in Greece, is a very popular med resort for european holidaymakers,particularly for Brits,Italians,Scandinavians and Germans..Plus,it s a short ferry ride to other two smaller but equally scenic islands of Skopelos and Alonissos,all belonging to the cluster of Sporades..Skiathos is also a magnet for planespotters with its easy and free access to the end of the runway,providing ample opportunities for recording and jetblasting,which is why people call it a mini-or the 2nd St.Maarten..Just youtube-it and you will understand why..The runway is short and approach steep and..beautiful but it still manages to have a TUI 757 land and take off there. TCX also sends a lot of 321s..TUI and TCX are the most frequent visitors along with V7 and SK..All the other airlines fly all the NB series apart from the 739..So with such a demand, i still dont understand how come Easyjet and FR havent started seasonal flights to JSI,not only from UK,but from other bases in Europe as well...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

SCQ83

Re: Why no FR or U2 at JSI?

Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

JSI had only 417k PAX in 2018:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... _in_Greece

It doesn't look like it is a massive market. They do not fly to either Samos or Mytilene which have more PAX.

davidjohnson6

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I thought Skiathos had a rather short runway which combined with the typical heat of summer in Greece means that aircraft end up having to either reduce the number of usable seats or stop off somewhere to pick up more fuel in the return leg to northern Europe.

Would U2 / FR accept these limitations ?

PatrickZ80

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:21 pm

I believe they did serve it in the past as summer seasonal, not entirely sure though. For sure no year-round service, in the winter there is just nothing.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:46 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I thought Skiathos had a rather short runway which combined with the typical heat of summer in Greece means that aircraft end up having to either reduce the number of usable seats or stop off somewhere to pick up more fuel in the return leg to northern Europe.

Would U2 / FR accept these limitations ?

Most A320s and 738s that takeoff are in a dense config,the typical LCC without any stop anymore..

marcogr12
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:57 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
JSI had only 417k PAX in 2018:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... _in_Greece

It doesn't look like it is a massive market. They do not fly to either Samos or Mytilene which have more PAX.

They have more pax because they have a lot more domestic flights..But there is demand..TCX flies their A321S 3w from LGW,3w from MAN and 1w from BRS,EMA,NCL..TOM flies 738s and 752s 2w from LGW,MAN,BHX and 1w from BRS,EMA,LTN,NCL..Easyjet last year started LGW-VOL but Volos is kind of different market, with mountain resorts and some beaches too ..Although it's got good boat and catamaran connections to the Sporades islands

bennett123

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:16 pm

If you are looking for pictures try Corfu, specifically Kanoni.

greg85

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:37 pm

The runway length makes it an expensive route to operate. Most airlines flying from Skiathos to the U.K. will make the short hop to Thessaloniki to refuel. This is both time and money, and I bet it’s one of the reasons that neither airline is operating the routes.

Kilopond

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:34 pm

greg85 wrote:
The runway length makes it an expensive route to operate. Most airlines flying from Skiathos to the U.K. will make the short hop to Thessaloniki to refuel. [...]

I had been watching JSI operations last summer and this is what I saw: The B752 and the A319 have no problems, the A320/A321 can reach AMS nonstop but won`t make it over the Channel without refuelling in SKG. The 738`s field performance is even worse.

OA260

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:43 pm

There used to be flights from DUB too with XL Airways but they always had to make a fuel stop in VOL. It put alot of people off.

marcogr12
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Kilopond wrote:
greg85 wrote:
The runway length makes it an expensive route to operate. Most airlines flying from Skiathos to the U.K. will make the short hop to Thessaloniki to refuel. [...]

I had been watching JSI operations last summer and this is what I saw: The B752 and the A319 have no problems, the A320/A321 can reach AMS nonstop but won`t make it over the Channel without refuelling in SKG. The 738`s field performance is even worse.

Dont 738s come with an SFP performance kit for such instances? I am asking because Blue Air,Enter Air,TUI,HV bring their 738s(SAS also brings 737-700s) down there

Chrisgoodwin82

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 am

I flew to JSI To MAN years ago on an XL 752. The 757 has always been able to get back to the uk without a stop because it’s so powerful. All airbus aircraft and 737NG used to have to refuel on the Greek mainland, however the runway has had a slight extension and unless it’s exceptionally hot they usually do not require a fuel stop on their return leg. TUI UK fly predominantly 757s there but they fly the 738 to Luton.

The reason easyjet and Ryanair don’t fly there is simply demand. The island is small there are limited hotels and villas for people to book separate flights and accommodation. The vast majority of people flying to skiathos will be on package holidays with a few scheduled seats mixed in.

The airport is also small and my guess is slots are fairly limited. It is also fairly common to get delays there due to parking limitations - we had a 4 hour delay. All in all Ryanair and easyJet just don’t want that for what would probably make a tiny profit. I think it also requires specific simulator training which Ryanair certainly isn’t interested in (eg no services to Gibraltar or Innsbruck). Easyjet fly to these destinations but they offer an all year service due to demand.

My guess is jet2 may offer packages there in the next few years.

P1aneMad

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:32 am

This is just insane, fun but insane!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWetojC0ul0

Are there any plans to extend the runway?

clipperlondon

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 am

P1aneMad wrote:
This is just insane, fun but insane!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWetojC0ul0

Air Italy, mad buggers :rotfl: lol!!

I can't find it now but there is an equally astonishing vid on YouTube of a TUI (I think) 752 taxiing BACKWARDS, under its own steam onto the runway.

Must be the heat...

jem2000

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:24 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I believe they did serve it in the past as summer seasonal, not entirely sure though. For sure no year-round service, in the winter there is just nothing.

Ryanair did a one off charter but that was it, Ezy have never been.

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 am

P1aneMad wrote:

The runway cannot be extended. It's sandwiched in between the sea at both ends of the runway, there is no place to build the extension.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:22 am

P1aneMad wrote:

They just did a 110m extension a few years ago. Doubt we'll see another any time soon. :(

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The runway cannot be extended. It's sandwiched in between the sea at both ends of the runway, there is no place to build the extension.

That's not entirely true, seeing as they've already built a portion of it on reclaimed land.
So they technically CAN do it... the question is, would they CHOOSE to do so, considering the environmental impact and high cost of land (creation).

Answer being: probably not.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

marcogr12
Topic Author

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Well i hope they do extend to other end of the runway..but then they would have to destroy the beach..

You have not been to Skiathos unless you've been jetblasted!...just have a look those of you who dont know about Skiathos airport, the low landings and jetblasting..I was there in 2017 just like these crazy spottrers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ook468wM3Wo