crownvic
Topic Author
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:59 am

So as most know, Virgin Atlantic have recently replaced the 2x 744s that were serving LAS with an A330 and 787 (MAN and LHR respectively). Where have these 2x 744s moved to? Have any been retired or have they been reassigned for route expansion?
 
bhxalex
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:40 am

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:16 am

The LHR route has recently moved over from LGW. LHR has no VS 747s based anymore, hence the 789.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 am

My guess is that they went to LGW for more of the charter operations and one went to Virgin Galactic.
 
User001
Posts: 915
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:18 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:13 am

One of the B744 now does MAN-JFK instead of A330
 
crownvic
Topic Author
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:54 am

User001 wrote:
One of the B744 now does MAN-JFK instead of A330


That answers the question on one. Thank you,
 
User avatar
Veigar
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:35 am

How unfortunate! Those 747s have been flying here since the dawn of LAS' international terminal...

At least we have BA.
 
A350belfast
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:05 pm

possibly moved to Belfast since the BFS-ORD service has restarted?
 
flight152
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:11 pm

They were flown out?
 
runway23
Posts: 2276
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:12 am

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:12 pm

A350belfast wrote:
possibly moved to Belfast since the BFS-ORD service has restarted?


There’s no BFS-ORD service, there is a service to Orlando - MCO.
 
A350belfast
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:19 pm

MCO sorry my bad
 
azz767
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:08 am

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm

I flew the LGW route in Feb and the crew were saying they were going to miss flying there. It shows that the capacity of the 747 is better elsewhere with the 332 doing the MAN route now though. I think had it not moved to LHR the Gatwick route would probably have also moved to the 332
 
JamesCousins
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
My guess is that they went to LGW for more of the charter operations and one went to Virgin Galactic.


The Virgin Galactic frame comes from the first wave of 747-400 retirements a few years ago. They're just rightsizing routes, and better utilizing the 747 on routes to Orlando, Cancun etc. If they had the demand to consistently fill the 747, they'd still be flying to Vegas.

I believe the A340s will be retired first, with the 747s hanging around a little longer before going, too
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY
 
crownvic
Topic Author
Posts: 2445
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:16 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:13 am

azz767 wrote:
I flew the LGW route in Feb and the crew were saying they were going to miss flying there. It shows that the capacity of the 747 is better elsewhere with the 332 doing the MAN route now though. I think had it not moved to LHR the Gatwick route would probably have also moved to the 332


That is not really the case. Those 744s were full most of the time in and out of LAS. It is really from what I understand DLs involvement of maximizing profits. The 744 on a long flight burns a lot more fuel than it is burning to the Caribbean or Florida. The demand for premium traffic had increased to the point that the 744s small premium cabin was sold out all the time, while the rest of the plane was packed with low yield pax. The 744s have 14 Upper Class seats while 789s have 31. It is one of the reasons the 744s have been off the LAX/SFO routes for quite sometime. I think it is more a maturing of the LAS market where a more premium heavy aircraft can now support the market.

DL bean counters seem to be a master of this. What's better for LAS? An old (paid down) 744 with a weak cabin and burning lots of fuel, with high operating costs or a smaller newer plane with more premium seating, less economy seating (and higher acquisition costs). Somebody obviously thought the latter made more sense.
 
TC957
Posts: 3484
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Where have the Virgin 744s Gone @ LAS?

Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:29 am

JamesCousins wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
My guess is that they went to LGW for more of the charter operations and one went to Virgin Galactic.


The Virgin Galactic frame comes from the first wave of 747-400 retirements a few years ago. They're just rightsizing routes, and better utilizing the 747 on routes to Orlando, Cancun etc. If they had the demand to consistently fill the 747, they'd still be flying to Vegas.

I believe the A340s will be retired first, with the 747s hanging around a little longer before going, too

There's no more a Cancun flight - dropped in January. Despite it being perceived as a leisure route, LAS has a high premium cabin demand and it was this that contributed to the decision to transfer it to LHR. The 744's will be around another 2 years until the A350-1000 fleet builds up.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos