xwb777
Topic Author
Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 pm

It has is been reported that Emirates Airline has submitted an application to Madagascar Civil Aviation Authority to launch flights to Antananarivo. If this true, Emirates African network will grow to 23 destinations.

Part of the restrictions that might face the carrier in Madagascar is the health conditions in the country. The country has seen a decrease in the health conditions.

If Emirates launches Antananarivo, it will be a direct competitor to Ethiopian, as Ethiopian is an agressive carrier in the Madagascar market


Source: https://journaldeleconomie.com/2019/04/ ... ananarivo/ (link in French)
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:25 pm

This fills me with concern.

The thought of mass tourism coming to what is arguably one of the world’s last undiscovered natural paradises is deeply worrying.

With EK’s reputation for capacity dumping right from the beginning, it’s also a concern for the country’s diversity in aviation too, not just its ecological variety.
 
TC957
Posts: 3490
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:34 pm

Perfect timing ! Only yesterday I had an enquiry for a tour there from clients for next year. The airline they wanted ? EK !
 
VCy
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:06 pm

I m actually surprised it's taken so long! Was it previously served and then dropped?
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 pm

I cant believe they are looking at this on EK mainline not flyDubai. This screams flyDubai to me.
 
BWA900
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:53 pm

EK would more so be competing with TK's A333 which is tagged onto MRU. Would be interesting to see how they develop this route based on the varying types of demand.
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A359 A388 B712 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8A DH8B DH8D E145 E170 E190
 
ist2014
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:43 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 pm

How is TK doing?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6803
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm

CHRISBA35X wrote:
I cant believe they are looking at this on EK mainline not flyDubai. This screams flyDubai to me.

Maybe if their 737s had aerial refueling capabilities.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 pm

xwb777 wrote:
It has is been reported that Emirates Airline has submitted an application to Madagascar Civil Aviation Authority to launch flights to Antananarivo. If this true, Emirates African network will grow to 23 destinations.

Part of the restrictions that might face the carrier in Madagascar is the health conditions in the country. The country has seen a decrease in the health conditions.

If Emirates launches Antananarivo, it will be a direct competitor to Ethiopian, as Ethiopian is an agressive carrier in the Madagascar market


Source: https://journaldeleconomie.com/2019/04/ ... ananarivo/ (link in French)


I dont know about ET but KQ constant Ly seles to be the cheapest 1 stop option out of Paris which is the biggest LH market to Madagascar.
 
CHRISBA35X
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 am

TWA772LR wrote:
CHRISBA35X wrote:
I cant believe they are looking at this on EK mainline not flyDubai. This screams flyDubai to me.

Maybe if their 737s had aerial refueling capabilities.



What is flight time? Five and a bit hours? If so their -800Ws can do it easily, let alone their MAXes.
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5082
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:31 am

TheLion wrote:
This fills me with concern.

The thought of mass tourism coming to what is arguably one of the world’s last undiscovered natural paradises is deeply worrying.


I'm afraid it may already be too late. Have you been there? There's not much left. And it's the locals, not tourists, that are destroying it.
 
dredgy
Posts: 409
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

Sitting at TNR right now. Not sure they can handle another airline! But good to see Emirates Africa network expanding, would assume they would want to tag it from Mauritius or similar.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:36 am

Why tag when you can just capacity dump and charge submarket fares to CDG/NCE.
 
User avatar
RWA380
Posts: 5517
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:51 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:04 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
It has is been reported that Emirates Airline has submitted an application to Madagascar Civil Aviation Authority to launch flights to Antananarivo. If this true, Emirates African network will grow to 23 destinations.

Part of the restrictions that might face the carrier in Madagascar is the health conditions in the country. The country has seen a decrease in the health conditions.

If Emirates launches Antananarivo, it will be a direct competitor to Ethiopian, as Ethiopian is an agressive carrier in the Madagascar market


Source: https://journaldeleconomie.com/2019/04/ ... ananarivo/ (link in French)


I dont know about ET but KQ constant Ly seles to be the cheapest 1 stop option out of Paris which is the biggest LH market to Madagascar.


The AF flights CDG-TNR were consistently around 2k r/t even in Y, I hope that has changed with ET & KQ one stop options, But I imagine EK will help lower the AF prices a bit, even if they're the only non-stop
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M
 
emre787
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 pm

ist2014 wrote:
How is TK doing?


TK has become the master of opening up and tagging flights on to underserved/undiscovered new markets and so this route should actually be also doing very good :D
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 17956
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:36 pm

emre787 wrote:
ist2014 wrote:
How is TK doing?


TK has become the master of opening up and tagging flights on to underserved/undiscovered new markets and so this route should actually be also doing very good :D

Once the new IST has three operational runways, it will be even tougher competition.

I could see this working. If one or two flights a day ruins an area...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.
 
Thenoflyzone
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2001 4:42 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 am

DXB-TNR is 2,671 nm.

It’s doable for a Max 8, but tight for a 737-800, especially when you consider how far alternate airports are. Another problem is that TNR is at 4,200ft ASL, with only a 10,171 ft runway. The flight back to DXB might be weight restricted on a narrowbody. A widebody is the preferred option in order to carry any significant payload on the way back to DXB.

Mind you the airport poses challenges for widebodies as well. Several years back, I heard stories where AF had to sit on the runway and wait for the headwinds to pick up by a few knots in order to to be legal on the takeoff to CDG.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!
 
EK216
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:12 am

Maybe I am just talking nonsense, but would a triangular route be good in this situation? Especially to really compete with ET & TK?
Something like:
DXB - TNR - MGQ (Mogadishu) - DXB or
DXB - MPM (Maputo) - TNR - DXB (QR flies a 788 to MPM a few times for the week)
or if we're really getting wild, what about taking 1 of 2 daily JNB 77Ws to stop in ATR outbound?

I am optimistic though. If they can maintain doubly daily SEZ flights, 4 daily to JNB, not to mention a 14x/week A380 to MRU, then I'm sure a daily 77W would do the trick - and if the route performs well I'm sure an A380 upgrade could be on the table of ATR can manage it.
 
GRJGeorge
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 am

I doubt they'll do triangular, tag-on more likely where they might even get 5th freedom rights on. Perhaps a return to Comoros, like DXB-HAH-TNR, or otherwise also enter Maputo market, DXB-TNR-MPM...maybe even if they want to have a permanent 2nd daily service to Durban, DXB-TNR-DUR.
 
User avatar
LaunchDetected
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:46 am

TheLion wrote:
This fills me with concern.

The thought of mass tourism coming to what is arguably one of the world’s last undiscovered natural paradises is deeply worrying.

With EK’s reputation for capacity dumping right from the beginning, it’s also a concern for the country’s diversity in aviation too, not just its ecological variety.


The locals didn't wait for mass tourism to destroy the forest. On the contrary, mass tourism can be a way to protect those natural paradises, Costa-Rica is a good example. Obviously it needs to be regulated with an efficient government. Is this the case? I'm not sure.
Caravelle lover
 
User avatar
thekorean
Posts: 1761
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:20 am

TheLion wrote:
This fills me with concern.

The thought of mass tourism coming to what is arguably one of the world’s last undiscovered natural paradises is deeply worrying.

With EK’s reputation for capacity dumping right from the beginning, it’s also a concern for the country’s diversity in aviation too, not just its ecological variety.

I highly doubt EK flight will suddenly overwhelm the island with tourists.
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 am

EK216 wrote:
Maybe I am just talking nonsense, but would a triangular route be good in this situation? Especially to really compete with ET & TK?
Something like:
DXB - TNR - MGQ (Mogadishu) - DXB or
DXB - MPM (Maputo) - TNR - DXB (QR flies a 788 to MPM a few times for the week)
or if we're really getting wild, what about taking 1 of 2 daily JNB 77Ws to stop in ATR outbound?

I am optimistic though. If they can maintain doubly daily SEZ flights, 4 daily to JNB, not to mention a 14x/week A380 to MRU, then I'm sure a daily 77W would do the trick - and if the route performs well I'm sure an A380 upgrade could be on the table of ATR can manage it.


If a triangular or a stopover is considered, I see either DUR or MPM combining with TNR.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
EK216
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:41 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:19 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
DXB-TNR is 2,671 nm.

It’s doable for a Max 8, but tight for a 737-800, especially when you consider how far alternate airports are. Another problem is that TNR is at 4,200ft ASL, with only a 10,171 ft runway. The flight back to DXB might be weight restricted on a narrowbody. A widebody is the preferred option in order to carry any significant payload on the way back to DXB.

Mind you the airport poses challenges for widebodies as well. Several years back, I heard stories where AF had to sit on the runway and wait for the headwinds to pick up by a few knots in order to to be legal on the takeoff to CDG.


Interesting.

So upon further digging up on my end, according to these articles Air Madagascar recently charted a Hi-Fly A380 to continue uninterrupted service while their A340s were in maintenance. Looks like they used them on the TNR-CDG-TNR route.

https://simpleflying.com/air-madagascar-a380/
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-air-madagascar-uses-hi-fly-a380-to-cover-459448/

Unless I'm not reading this correctly, it seems like TNR can handle wide body service? TK uses an A330, MK an A343, and AF still uses that 77W. Will EK have any restrictions? If this whole rumor is true, I would assume starting off on a 77W, but I do think TNR can be a good contender for A380 service if the airport can take it.
 
User avatar
388crazy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:13 pm

EK216 wrote:
Unless I'm not reading this correctly, it seems like TNR can handle wide body service? TK uses an A330, MK an A343, and AF still uses that 77W. Will EK have any restrictions? If this whole rumor is true, I would assume starting off on a 77W, but I do think TNR can be a good contender for A380 service if the airport can take it.


When I was there Corsair had a 747 land plus the A330, A343 you mentioned.
319 320 A20N 321 332/3 346 359 388 737/8/9 74L/4/8 752/3 763/4 77E/L/W 788/9 AT75 CR7/9/K DH4 E145 E170/5 E190 MD88
4O 6E 9W AA AF AI AS AT AZ BA CA CX D7 D8 DI DL DY EI EK ET EY FJ I2 IB IR JJ JQ KL KQ LB LH MH MI MU NZ PC QF RJ SG SQ TG TP TT UA VA VY
 
northsouthnomad
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Rumor: Emirates to launch Antananarivo

Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:01 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
EK216 wrote:
Maybe I am just talking nonsense, but would a triangular route be good in this situation? Especially to really compete with ET & TK?
Something like:
DXB - TNR - MGQ (Mogadishu) - DXB or
DXB - MPM (Maputo) - TNR - DXB (QR flies a 788 to MPM a few times for the week)
or if we're really getting wild, what about taking 1 of 2 daily JNB 77Ws to stop in ATR outbound?

I am optimistic though. If they can maintain doubly daily SEZ flights, 4 daily to JNB, not to mention a 14x/week A380 to MRU, then I'm sure a daily 77W would do the trick - and if the route performs well I'm sure an A380 upgrade could be on the table of ATR can manage it.


If a triangular or a stopover is considered, I see either DUR or MPM combining with TNR.


But would that not add significant time to a durban outbound

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos