SoCalFlyer
Topic Author

Delta allegedly lobbying against new FAA rest rule for cabin crew

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:55 pm

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2019 ... ttendants/

Also according to AFA president Sara Nelson this is true that Delta is trying to fight the new FAA mandated rest. What exactly is their opposition to it?

Here is another link direct from AFA
https://www.afacwa.org/update_on_our_fight_for_10

gonnagetbumpy

Re: Delta allegedly lobbying against new FAA rest rule for cabin crew

Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:59 pm

Sara Nelson will day anything she can to make an ‘enemy’ to fight against. This is actually false, however, they have tried to delay it some to get some technology things fixed before it is implemented. They've also hired several hundred additional flights attendants in preparation for it.

SoCalFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 am

But isn’t there a hard cut over time usually for these things.

Detroit313

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 am

Delta always fighting against anything good for the workers. Immoral and unethical anti labor company with the dirtiest practices to make sure their employees don't unionize.

ilovelamp

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:23 am

Detroit313 wrote:
Delta always fighting against anything good for the workers. Immoral and unethical anti labor company with the dirtiest practices to make sure their employees don't unionize.

And yet their employees are among the happiest and best compensated in the industry...weird.

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 am

ilovelamp wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

And yet their employees are among the happiest and best compensated in the industry...weird.

I'm a pilot at a major airline and I don't usually defend FAs but I will in this case. 8 hrs of rest is INSANE. I don't think most people here understand that 8 hrs begins even while they are still technically working. FAs are no longer paid once the door closes or opens to disembark passengers. Airlines will add a small number of minutes after door opening time from where "rest" starts. This is usually 10-20 minutes, depending on airline. That's where the problem starts. Passengers are usually still onboard the aircraft while their rest period of 8 hrs started. Then it takes 5-15 minutes to walk out to the airport shuttle, then you wait another 0-45 minutes for a shuttle, then another 5-60 minutes to drive to the hotel, then another 10 minutes to check in, then another 30-60 mins to get ready for bed. The next duty period (notice, I didn't say "day"), you get up 2:30 hrs prior to your "report" time at the gate. Spend 1 hr getting ready (shower, shave, iron clothes, pack). Spend 0-60 mins getting to the airport, and 5-15 mins getting to the gate. Notice how none of this accounts for things like eating food or just having down time to read, watch TV, make phone calls, etc. Do the math in a worst case scenario and see that FAs (and even pilots with 10 hrs!) don't get enough "rest". I personally think that if the FAA is going to use a low standard of 8 or 10 hrs, then that time ought to start when you get to your hotel room, not after the aircraft door opens. In the USAF, we had 12 hrs and that started when at the hotel.

Think about the effects on people who are perpetually getting less than 8 hrs of sleep every day. Also keep in mind that pilots and FAs frequently have to switch from getting up really early to staying up all night for a red-eye. You perpetually swap between day/night or in between trip pairings.

Compare this to people who work in just about any other industry. Most people get 8 hr work days, 5 days per week. That's 16 hrs to yourself to commute, exercise, have family time, study, entertain, etc. I'm not a fan of paying FAs too much because it's still an unskilled, uneducated job requiring no prior experience, but it does treat FAs as non-human sometimes. We really need to give FAs at least 10 hrs of rest beginning at the hotel doors.

findingnema

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:02 am

ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

I'm a pilot at a major airline and I don't usually defend FAs but I will in this case. I'm not a fan of paying FAs too much because it's still an unskilled, uneducated job requiring no prior experience, but it does treat FAs as non-human sometimes. We really need to give FAs at least 10 hrs of rest beginning at the hotel doors.

If ever there were a reason why cabin crews need strong negotiators (whether an organised trade union or an internal staff network) to lobby for better terms and conditions, it’s countering posts like this. I worked as cabin crew for the best part of 11 years and worked with many women and men on the flight deck who had the utmost respect for all of their colleagues - whether the cabin crews that they treated as their eyes and ears on the other side of the flight deck door, the ground and catering agents or fuellers, anyone that we came into contact with. This Jurassic mentality that someone is better than someone else because of their role at work, and that people should have a cap on their remuneration, belongs to a completely different era. For any commercial pilot to have such little respect for their colleagues and the skills that they bring to work, I would genuinely worry about the safety communication and CRM skills that they bring to work every day.
My postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employer’s positions, strategies or opinions

Dalmd88

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:05 am

Detroit313 wrote:

You are so wrong. Yes I've been pro union for a long time, but I really don't see it happening at DL under the current leadership. From TechOps they have done nothing to get a union drive started.

Lemieux

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:17 am

As someone who works in the operation of a major airline and as a former FA scheduler, 8 hours of rest isn’t much, and should be raised. That said, it’s pretty rare that we get FA’s that go down to that FAR min without being of their own choosing. It happens, but it’s not often.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 am

findingnema wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

I'm a pilot at a major airline and I don't usually defend FAs but I will in this case. I'm not a fan of paying FAs too much because it's still an unskilled, uneducated job requiring no prior experience, but it does treat FAs as non-human sometimes. We really need to give FAs at least 10 hrs of rest beginning at the hotel doors.

If ever there were a reason why cabin crews need strong negotiators (whether an organised trade union or an internal staff network) to lobby for better terms and conditions, it’s countering posts like this. I worked as cabin crew for the best part of 11 years and worked with many women and men on the flight deck who had the utmost respect for all of their colleagues - whether the cabin crews that they treated as their eyes and ears on the other side of the flight deck door, the ground and catering agents or fuellers, anyone that we came into contact with. This Jurassic mentality that someone is better than someone else because of their role at work, and that people should have a cap on their remuneration, belongs to a completely different era. For any commercial pilot to have such little respect for their colleagues and the skills that they bring to work, I would genuinely worry about the safety communication and CRM skills that they bring to work every day.

Respect doesn't mean that I have to hyperbolize the job to heroic levels. You want to have an emotional argument where respect, to you, equates to normalizing the job of a medical doctor to that of a FA. They are not the same thing. I respect my cabin crew but I also understand things from a logistical standpoint and from a standpoint of basic economics. How long does it take to produce a FA? 4 weeks from zero experience? Compare this to a professional like a scientist or engineer who takes at least 4-8 yrs in a higher education environment, not to mention significant amounts of subsequent training for a job that is not scripted.

What skills do you speak of?

I never said anything about anyone being better than anyone else. You did. And furthermore, that is your perception that you hold, not me. If you're offended by my words, you're offended by factual statements. I'm merely saying that (1) FAs should get 10 hrs because they are treated inhumanely, (2) that this is not about making more money, BUT, if it were, (3) that FAs should get paid from the time they show up for duty to the time they have arrived at their hotel.

Boof02671

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:55 am

Delta is spending millions to fight the DL FAs and the IAM as there is a current union organizing drive going on.

GatorClark

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:58 am

Detroit313 wrote:

Ummm I work for Delta.. Please enlighten me on how they doing anything they can to make sure I don't go union. Is it the pay raise we got recently?? Or maybe is those nice profit sharing checks we get every year? I find Delta to be a great company to work for and I've never had an issue 1) making my voice heard, 2) being felt like I matter, & 3) being rewarded when the fecal matter hits the oscillating device over our head and we all bust our rears the keep everything on schedule.. If they were truly immoral and unethical, I doubt we would have the rewards program we have for our performance. Or that our station manager would buy us all dinner when things go south.. Please give me something to back up this claim you made.

Boof02671

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:00 am

Delta is spending millions on fighting the IAM drive. They have videos playing anti-union messages in the work area, have flyers in the work area and mail them to the houses.

ECAMerror

Boof02671 wrote:
Delta is spending millions to fight the DL FAs and the IAM as there is a current union organizing drive going on.

I hope they are proactive instead of reactive in their fight. Airlines use union-busters with known tactics. They should write a playbook describing all the tactics used by corporations and union busters to prevent unionization. Furthermore, FAs need to make sure their union isn't filled with ineffective people who are themselves simply cashing in on having a position of power. For example, unions do an absolutely horrible job in educating their members with the Railway Labor Act. Too many people are self-policing themselves from entertaining real bargaining postures because union types will tell them things like "you'll never get that" even though anything is literally on the table. I don't personally think unions are nearly effective enough.

Boof02671

They are using Ford and Harrison.

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:08 am

Boof02671 wrote:
They are using Ford and Harrison.

Oh yes... the same law firm used by every airline. They are becoming more and more insidious in their tactics. It seems like their new tactic is to "contain" rather than to outright deny. I hope FAs don't get misled into believing that they have to settle for F&H's weak offers. Nowhere in the RLA is a clause that requires a labor group to agree with the offers of the employer. They can continue to reject offers until the RLA has "taken its course" (verbatim from the RLA).

Boof02671

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 am

I’ve negotiated at US Airways for the IAM Mechanic and Related against Glass in the second bankruptcy, I know him and their tactics all too well. Have lots of DL FA friends who are pro union

CobaltScar

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:14 am

Lemieux wrote:
As someone who works in the operation of a major airline and as a former FA scheduler, 8 hours of rest isn’t much, and should be raised. That said, it’s pretty rare that we get FA’s that go down to that FAR min without being of their own choosing. It happens, but it’s not often.

Rare? It happens EVERY day. Well, 90 percent of days. Whole lines of flying get delayed because of crew rest, which means the schedulers graciously add enough minutes of "rest" to barley get to 8 hours and the plane and passengers are delayed by the same amount of minutes.

Its criminal that Delta and whoever else is trying to delay the 10 hours rest provision and I want to know HOW the FAA is allowed to get away with ignoring a mandate in the law from October 2018 that said they had 30 days to implement this new rest rule.

Fire the current FAA leadership for this negligence and the MAX fiasco.

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:19 am

CobaltScar wrote:
Lemieux wrote:

Rare? It happens EVERY day. Well, 90 percent of days. Whole lines of flying get delayed because of crew rest, which means the schedulers graciously add enough minutes of "rest" to barley get to 8 hours and the plane and passengers are delayed by the same amount of minutes.

Its criminal that Delta and whoever else is trying to delay the 10 hours rest provision and I want to know HOW the FAA is allowed to get away with ignoring a mandate in the law from October 2018 that said they had 30 days to implement this new rest rule.

Fire the current FAA leadership for this negligence and the MAX fiasco.

We should have no sympathy for Delta or any other airline. People solve much much harder logistical issues in 24 hrs time. Delta is just trying to protect their quarterly earnings figures for Wall Street. The longer they can delay, the more they'll make. If they claim it's a software issue, I say B.S. Video game developers, who have a significantly harder engineering job, take a month to code something 1000x more complex.

TTailedTiger

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 am

Detroit313 wrote:

I am often critical of Delta but this just isn't the case at all.

CobaltScar

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 am

Someone that knows more about the FAA, please explain to us how the FAA can decide to ignore a re-authorization bill that is signed into law in October 2018 that says the FAA has 30 days to change the rest rule and inform the airlines of said change. So far they have not even given the airlines notice, much less given them a time frame to implement the new rule.

HOW are they ignoring the 30 day mandate written in the Oct 2018 law? I need to know.

Boof02671

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 am

Because the law gave the FAA and the airlines a time period for each airline to develop their rest program, get it approved and implemented.

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 am

CobaltScar wrote:
Someone that knows more about the FAA, please explain to us how the FAA can decide to ignore a re-authorization bill that is signed into law in October 2018 that says the FAA has 30 days to change the rest rule and inform the airlines of said change. So far they have not even given the airlines notice, much less given them a time frame to implement the new rule.

HOW are they ignoring the 30 day mandate written in the Oct 2018 law? I need to know.

They can't.

However, if no one holds the government accountable, they literally get away with murder. The unions need to justify their existence by suing the FAA over failure to enforce the law as they are obligated to.

CobaltScar

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:01 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Because the law gave the FAA and the airlines a time period for each airline to develop their rest program, get it approved and implemented.

The airlines don't have to even begin the process of planning, much less implementing, a program until the FAA has officially notified them of the rule change, which the FAA has NOT done yet. Despite the law saying they had 30 days from back in October to do so. So the airlines are twiddling their thumbs and laying all the blame down at the FAA door mat.

ECAMerror wrote:
They can't.

However, if no one holds the government accountable, they literally get away with murder. The unions need to justify their existence by suing the FAA over failure to enforce the law as they are obligated to.

This is what needs to happen.

I thought it was all just FAA incompetence, but perhaps there is some scheming behind the scenes from the airlines too. But of course those same airlines are telling their employees they are just innocently waiting for notice from the FAA. Its all so tiresome.

Etheereal

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:19 am

CobaltScar wrote:

Money does wonders.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

ECAMerror

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 am

StuckInCA wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

Compare this to people who work in just about any other industry. Most people get 8 hr work days, 5 days per week. That's 16 hrs to yourself to commute, exercise, have family time, study, entertain, etc. I'm not a fan of paying FAs too much because it's still an unskilled, uneducated job requiring no prior experience, but it does treat FAs as non-human sometimes. We really need to give FAs at least 10 hrs of rest beginning at the hotel doors.

While I don't disagree with the premise of your post, the notion that most people in just about any other industry work 8x5's is fairly nonsensical. Many of us work many more hours than that.

I was trying to express the statistic under Title 3.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... 3172c3a4f6

INFINITI329

Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:55 am

How does DL think they can stop the inevitable....its already the law..

global1

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 am

Add me to the list of content employees at Delta.
I was former Northwest. Hard to believe that it’s been over a decade since the merger.

There’s a reason the IAM has not even been able to get enough cards to call for an election, much less win one.
Furthermore, every few months the cards previously submitted fall off unless they are resubmitted. It’s like ‘whack a mole’.

Videos and mind control at work.
Puhleez..... classic IAM BS.

Remind me again next Feb.14th when I receive my profit sharing check in the five figures how ‘awful’ it is to work here.

Etheereal

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:54 am

INFINITI329 wrote:

Ask the FAA as well.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Boof02671

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 am

global1 wrote:
Add me to the list of content employees at Delta.
I was former Northwest. Hard to believe that it’s been over a decade since the merger.

There’s a reason the IAM has not even been able to get enough cards to call for an election, much less win one.
Furthermore, every few months the cards previously submitted fall off unless they are resubmitted. It’s like ‘whack a mole’.

Videos and mind control at work.
Puhleez..... classic IAM BS.

Remind me again next Feb.14th when I receive my profit sharing check in the five figures how ‘awful’ it is to work here.

Shall i post a link to the pics of it?

global1

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 am

No need.

I won’t be able to counter with pictures of the countless flyers, mail stuffers, phone calls, etc.. I’ve received from IAM and previously AFA over the last decade.

Heard countless times that a filing for representation was ‘imminent’. They don’t seem to be bothering much lately. Obviously not getting much traction.

Essentially beating a dead horse at this point in time.

klm617

Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:24 pm

StuckInCA wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

While I don't disagree with the premise of your post, the notion that most people in just about any other industry work 8x5's is fairly nonsensical. Many of us work many more hours than that.

Yes but for the most part other employees in other job fields get paid for every hour they are on the clock flight attendents don't.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

mbm3

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 pm

A union may have a better chance given this crew rest issue as well as the toxicity issues being experienced with the new uniforms.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

MSPNWA

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:19 pm

In general I would expect airlines to work against the new rule. DL may have more to lose since we know there isn't a contract for the FAs that may have better-than-minimum work rules regarding rest. Be interesting to know if that's the case.

Ironically unions likely played a role in the passage of the new rule. It's important to have that voice.

atcsundevil

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Please stick to the topic or the thread will be locked. This is NOT a debate over union vs. nonunion, so please don't turn it into one.

✈️ atcsundevil

Babyshark

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:25 pm

IMHO having been here at Delta long enough, the aim is 51% approval of a pilot contract. That means you didn't waste any money, right?

With FAs, you just have to do enough that going IAM will cost most (by a higher margin) to go IAM then remain non unionized.

Some seem to think it's evil Delta vs flight attendants, but that's not the whole picture. It's really Delta vs FAs and FAs vs FAs. Same with pilots. Work rules are not there just to protect us from Delta, they're there to protect us from ourselves and each other. Look at it this way, we have pilots that would love to sell back their vacations for pay and then go fly. And overnight if we allowed it we could furlough pilots. So we don't allow it, but new pilots ask about it all the time and there are plenty of old ones who would love it. And probably some old ones who would disagree with selling it but then sell it if the money is sitting on the table. It just isn't Delta vs us.

That said, you go messing with the current balance and you will see push back. So work rule improvements are not as cut and dry as they seem sometimes. With that in mind, Delta could probably fight rule changes and have more support than you think.

kiowa

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:43 pm

Babyshark wrote:
IMHO having been here at Delta long enough, the aim is 51% approval of a pilot contract. That means you didn't waste any money, right?

With FAs, you just have to do enough that going IAM will cost most (by a higher margin) to go IAM then remain non unionized.

Some seem to think it's evil Delta vs flight attendants, but that's not the whole picture. It's really Delta vs FAs and FAs vs FAs. Same with pilots. Work rules are not there just to protect us from Delta, they're there to protect us from ourselves and each other. Look at it this way, we have pilots that would love to sell back their vacations for pay and then go fly. And overnight if we allowed it we could furlough pilots. So we don't allow it, but new pilots ask about it all the time and there are plenty of old ones who would love it. And probably some old ones who would disagree with selling it but then sell it if the money is sitting on the table. It just isn't Delta vs us.

That said, you go messing with the current balance and you will see push back. So work rule improvements are not as cut and dry as they seem sometimes. With that in mind, Delta could probably fight rule changes and have more support than you think.

Pretty objective. Delta will not give any work group anymore than they have to.

INFINITI329

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Etheereal wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

Ask the FAA as well.

Agreed.... The flight attendant unions should highly consider taking the FAA to court to force their hand.

SEC. 312. FLIGHT ATTENDANT DUTY PERIOD LIMITATIONS AND REST REQUIREMENTS.
(a) Modification Of Final Rule.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall modify the final rule of the Federal Aviation Administration published in the Federal Register on August 19, 1994 (59 Fed. Reg. 42974; relating to flight attendant duty period limitations and rest requirements) in accordance with the requirements of this subsection.

(2) CONTENTS.—The final rule, as modified under paragraph (1), shall ensure that—

(A) a flight attendant scheduled to a duty period of 14 hours or less is given a scheduled rest period of at least 10 consecutive hours; and

(B) the rest period is not reduced under any circumstances

ECAMerror

Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 am

INFINITI329 wrote:
Etheereal wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

Ask the FAA as well.

Agreed.... The flight attendant unions should highly consider taking the FAA to court to force their hand.

SEC. 312. FLIGHT ATTENDANT DUTY PERIOD LIMITATIONS AND REST REQUIREMENTS.
(a) Modification Of Final Rule.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 30 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall modify the final rule of the Federal Aviation Administration published in the Federal Register on August 19, 1994 (59 Fed. Reg. 42974; relating to flight attendant duty period limitations and rest requirements) in accordance with the requirements of this subsection.

(2) CONTENTS.—The final rule, as modified under paragraph (1), shall ensure that—

(A) a flight attendant scheduled to a duty period of 14 hours or less is given a scheduled rest period of at least 10 consecutive hours; and

(B) the rest period is not reduced under any circumstances

Precisely. The legal route is the best. Delta personnel are happy because the aviation sector is at historic highs right now. Unemployment is at record lows and companies are having difficulty finding qualified labour. This will change someday based on the cyclical nature of everything in the universe. If FA's don't want a union now, inevitably they will. Someday Delta won't be well run, or the economy will tank, and they'll change their tune. That's ok. I wish them the best now. In fact, I hope they get happier and paid more. It raises the bar for pay and rules for the rest of the industry. However, show no mercy with the FAA. Nobody watches them. It took Trump to ground the 737Max because the FAA is NOT concerned about your safety. They have a split mandate in their mission statement. Watch the PBS Documentary "Flying Cheap".

N983AN

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
I’ve negotiated at US Airways for the IAM Mechanic and Related against Glass in the second bankruptcy, I know him and their tactics all too well. Have lots of DL FA friends who are pro union

“Friends” on a Facebook group? The IAM drive is DOA, DL employees are treated well, are happy and don’t want to go back to the toxic divisive NWA culture.

slider

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 pm

ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

I'm a pilot at a major airline and I don't usually defend FAs but I will in this case. 8 hrs of rest is INSANE. I don't think most people here understand that 8 hrs begins even while they are still technically working. FAs are no longer paid once the door closes or opens to disembark passengers. Airlines will add a small number of minutes after door opening time from where "rest" starts. This is usually 10-20 minutes, depending on airline. That's where the problem starts. Passengers are usually still onboard the aircraft while their rest period of 8 hrs started. Then it takes 5-15 minutes to walk out to the airport shuttle, then you wait another 0-45 minutes for a shuttle, then another 5-60 minutes to drive to the hotel, then another 10 minutes to check in, then another 30-60 mins to get ready for bed. The next duty period (notice, I didn't say "day"), you get up 2:30 hrs prior to your "report" time at the gate. Spend 1 hr getting ready (shower, shave, iron clothes, pack). Spend 0-60 mins getting to the airport, and 5-15 mins getting to the gate. Notice how none of this accounts for things like eating food or just having down time to read, watch TV, make phone calls, etc. Do the math in a worst case scenario and see that FAs (and even pilots with 10 hrs!) don't get enough "rest". I personally think that if the FAA is going to use a low standard of 8 or 10 hrs, then that time ought to start when you get to your hotel room, not after the aircraft door opens. In the USAF, we had 12 hrs and that started when at the hotel.

Think about the effects on people who are perpetually getting less than 8 hrs of sleep every day. Also keep in mind that pilots and FAs frequently have to switch from getting up really early to staying up all night for a red-eye. You perpetually swap between day/night or in between trip pairings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the new duty rules were 8 hours behind the door?

slider

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:36 pm

ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the new duty rules were 8 hours behind the door?

CobaltScar

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:51 pm

slider wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:

The one that was passed into law in Oct and has been ignored by the FAA since? Its 10 hours minimum rest from release of duty to report for next duty. Does not say anything about the time taken to get to the hotel. I assume the extra 2 hours (from current 8 hours to supposed to be current!! new 10 hours) now at least gives the FAs a hour to get to hotel, eat and get ready for bed and then a hour to do the reverse the next day after 8 hours sleeping.

Very humane, and to think airlines and the FAA are delaying this so FAs get far less than 8 hours to sleep between shifts is incorrigible.

0newair0

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 pm

This thread should be closed. Delta is not fighting against the rest regulations. Delta is simply waiting on the finalization like everyone else.
That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

lightsaber

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:21 am

ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:
Detroit313 wrote:

People need 8 hours of sleep.
Excercise
Meals
Use the lavatory...

10 hours is a minimum.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

slider

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:24 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
slider wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:

The one that was passed into law in Oct and has been ignored by the FAA since? Its 10 hours minimum rest from release of duty to report for next duty. Does not say anything about the time taken to get to the hotel. I assume the extra 2 hours (from current 8 hours to supposed to be current!! new 10 hours) now at least gives the FAs a hour to get to hotel, eat and get ready for bed and then a hour to do the reverse the next day after 8 hours sleeping.

Very humane, and to think airlines and the FAA are delaying this so FAs get far less than 8 hours to sleep between shifts is incorrigible.

OK, thanks for the added color there. I thought UA in particular was already going with 8 hours *behind the door* for rest, not counting the hotel shuttles, deplaning, etc, etc. As we all know, some cities have longer transit times than others, shuttles run late, and so on. All of that chips away at the spirit of the rule to enable crewmembers to actually get rest. And to your point--it's absolutely true that few of us can just slamclick and immediately zonk out.

n7371f

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:06 am

Would have a lot more credence if it weren't the AFA doing the complaining. Already 0-2 at Delta.

flyfresno

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm

lightsaber wrote:
ECAMerror wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

People need 8 hours of sleep.
Excercise
Meals
Use the lavatory...

10 hours is a minimum.

Haha, exercise and meals? Unless you count something hurriedly scarfed down on the hotel shuttle, or your hotel is in the terminal (which a few are, but not many) 10 hours isn't even enough time for those two things. Once you subtract walking out to the curb, transportation to the hotel, check-in, and then the reverse back to the airport, 10 hours usually means 9 hours or less in the hotel room. Add in things like showering and other personal care tasks, and you are lucky to get 8-8.5 hours in bed with a 10 hour layover, without eating or exercising. So, yes, 10 hours should be the absolute minimum. I certainly want the flight attendants on my flight to be well rested if we should need to be evacuated, or some other emergency arises...

questions

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:24 pm

I would like to see a simple table — airlines down the columns; work rules, pay and benefits across the rows — comparing Delta FA’s to their US airlines unionized counterparts.

I bet the net net is those unionized FA’s are NOT any better off and that the only ones to benefit from Delta FA’s unionizing are... the union!

I agree however that the FA’s need better rest rules.

GVP

Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm

The MIT Airline Data project proves you wrong. WN, UA and AA outpace their DL counterparts on total compensation.

And they don’t have a Social Security offset like DL dies upon retirement

Only thing DL has better is profit sharing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos