Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
whywhyzee
Topic Author
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

WestJet London Announcement April 23

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 pm

I haven't seen anything beyond a somewhat vague announcement on their Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/124924473551/p ... 472043552/

Not a clue what it might be, potentially a new route to LGW, conversion to LHR or maybe 789 from YYZ to LGW. Let the speciation begin.

Note, it does not coincide with the first 789 to LGW from YYC.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity
 
Eurowingsa320
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 pm

I could see Westjet announce a LHR flight but I doubt it due to how hard it is to get slots, unless they managed to acquire the ex 9W slots Eithad owns but I doubt it. Must be some sort of expansion at LGW
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5428
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Maybe new LGW-YQG flights.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
whywhyzee
Topic Author
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:22 pm

klm617 wrote:
Maybe new LGW-YQG flights.

Seems awfully optimistic given they don't even serve YQG year round. Would also be one HELL of a hike for a max, which can't even make YYZ without a load hit, YQG at 170nm further wouldn't happen. Maybe something like a YOW-LGW would make a little more sense.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2908
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Eurowingsa320 wrote:
I could see Westjet announce a LHR flight but I doubt it due to how hard it is to get slots, unless they managed to acquire the ex 9W slots Eithad owns but I doubt it. Must be some sort of expansion at LGW


I’d be amazed/thrilled, yet am not holding my breath, for WS to announce YOW-LGW...would mean the Capital would finally be more important to them than Kelowna.

However, this seems awfully late for summer 2019. Summer 2020 perhaps? Either that or this is nothing more than announcing 789s on LGW-YYZ and LGW-YVR (likely = much ado about nothing), or it’ll be to extend YEG-LGW to year-round.
 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1725
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 pm

YUL-YXU?
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
whywhyzee
Topic Author
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 pm

vhqpa wrote:
YUL-YXU?

That was already announced, don’t think that’s the London they are referring to though.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2908
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 pm

vhqpa wrote:
YUL-YXU?


They already announced that a couple of months ago.

This is London, UK.

Given WS’ current love affair with YXU, how about London-London, lol?
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 7625
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Well, they could have used a London (UK) ring tone in the add, would have made it better. :(
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7054
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:28 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Given WS’ current love affair with YXU, how about London-London, lol?


That could please YXU's CEO.... Remember? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1375901
 
9252fly
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:32 pm

They are inviting the media to attend an event on the 24th to celebrate the opening of the new B787 hangar in YYC.
 
YYZORD
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:28 am

Maybe WS is getting VS to become their partner airline or WS got the slots from EK to start LHR flights from YYZ and YYC?
 
BlueTrue
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:05 am

The obsession with Lhr
 
Andy33
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:11 am

YYZORD wrote:
Maybe WS is getting VS to become their partner airline or WS got the slots from EK to start LHR flights from YYZ and YYC?


It isn't EK that currently has 3 spare LHR slot pairs, it is EY, the ones that they leased to Jet Airways. That's if they haven't already found other uses for them - they'll need to by the end of May or risk losing them altogether.
 
User avatar
LuxuryTravelled
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:06 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:45 am

Its quite possible EY could claim force majeure, at least to give them a little more time.
 
Iluvtofly
Posts: 108
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:13 am

EY needs that slot $$$$ so they can invest in another failing airline !!!!!
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31
 
YYZORD
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement tomorrow

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:27 pm

Sorry I mean't EY, it was a huge typo hahaha.

Andy33 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
Maybe WS is getting VS to become their partner airline or WS got the slots from EK to start LHR flights from YYZ and YYC?


It isn't EK that currently has 3 spare LHR slot pairs, it is EY, the ones that they leased to Jet Airways. That's if they haven't already found other uses for them - they'll need to by the end of May or risk losing them altogether.
 
Jayce
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 1999 10:36 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Could it be YVR-LGW going year round? Would partially solve the mystery of what will happen to the 787s in the fall.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson
 
whywhyzee
Topic Author
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:05 pm

Still no news...
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:17 pm

Does this so called announcement have anything to do with the recent news regarding WestJet codesharing with Air France on several European routes ex CDG from May 2019!

WestJet by Air France, starting from 18 May 2019 on selected routes from Paris CDG Air France with WestJet code.

CDG...Athens
CDG...Biarritz
CDG...Brest
CDG...Milan Malpensa
CDG...Montpellier
CDG...Rome Fiumicino
CDG...Venice

With this recent news regarding codesharing with Air France it seems logical for WestJet to announce Paris CDG from summer 2020.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
sfuk
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:30 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:23 pm

Cunard wrote:
Does this so called announcement have anything to do with the recent news regarding WestJet codesharing with Air France on several European routes ex CDG from May 2019!

WestJet by Air France, starting from 18 May 2019 on selected routes from Paris CDG Air France with WestJet code.

CDG...Athens
CDG...Biarritz
CDG...Brest
CDG...Milan Malpensa
CDG...Montpellier
CDG...Rome Fiumicino
CDG...Venice

With this recent news regarding codesharing with Air France it seems logical for WestJet to announce Paris CDG from summer 2020.


What's the London connection then?
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:41 pm

sfuk wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Does this so called announcement have anything to do with the recent news regarding WestJet codesharing with Air France on several European routes ex CDG from May 2019!

WestJet by Air France, starting from 18 May 2019 on selected routes from Paris CDG Air France with WestJet code.

CDG...Athens
CDG...Biarritz
CDG...Brest
CDG...Milan Malpensa
CDG...Montpellier
CDG...Rome Fiumicino
CDG...Venice

With this recent news regarding codesharing with Air France it seems logical for WestJet to announce Paris CDG from summer 2020.


What's the London connection then?


There's obviously no London connection with the announcement that WestJet are to code share with Air France.

Was it ever made official by WestJet that this so called announcement would be about London?

It's now evening time, many hours after this so called announcement was due to be made and the only announcement has been the code share with Air France starting from the 18 May 2019.

I'm actually surprised that know one other than myself is discussing this announcement!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
User avatar
cirrusdragoon
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Cunard wrote:
sfuk wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Does this so called announcement have anything to do with the recent news regarding WestJet codesharing with Air France on several European routes ex CDG from May 2019!

WestJet by Air France, starting from 18 May 2019 on selected routes from Paris CDG Air France with WestJet code.

CDG...Athens
CDG...Biarritz
CDG...Brest
CDG...Milan Malpensa
CDG...Montpellier
CDG...Rome Fiumicino
CDG...Venice

With this recent news regarding codesharing with Air France it seems logical for WestJet to announce Paris CDG from summer 2020.


What's the London connection then?


There's obviously no London connection with the announcement that WestJet are to code share with Air France.

Was it ever made official by WestJet that this so called announcement would be about London?

It's now evening time, many hours after this so called announcement was due to be made and the only announcement has been the code share with Air France starting from the 18 May 2019.

I'm actually surprised that know one other than myself is discussing this announcement!


https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2019/

This looks super exciting!
 
sfuk
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:30 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Cunard wrote:
sfuk wrote:
Cunard wrote:
Does this so called announcement have anything to do with the recent news regarding WestJet codesharing with Air France on several European routes ex CDG from May 2019!

WestJet by Air France, starting from 18 May 2019 on selected routes from Paris CDG Air France with WestJet code.

CDG...Athens
CDG...Biarritz
CDG...Brest
CDG...Milan Malpensa
CDG...Montpellier
CDG...Rome Fiumicino
CDG...Venice

With this recent news regarding codesharing with Air France it seems logical for WestJet to announce Paris CDG from summer 2020.


What's the London connection then?


There's obviously no London connection with the announcement that WestJet are to code share with Air France.

Was it ever made official by WestJet that this so called announcement would be about London?

It's now evening time, many hours after this so called announcement was due to be made and the only announcement has been the code share with Air France starting from the 18 May 2019.

I'm actually surprised that know one other than myself is discussing this announcement!



Yup, check out their Twitter or Facebook Page. There's a short video of a British phone booth and it says "London Calling".
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2908
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:10 am

sfuk wrote:
Cunard wrote:
sfuk wrote:

What's the London connection then?


There's obviously no London connection with the announcement that WestJet are to code share with Air France.

Was it ever made official by WestJet that this so called announcement would be about London?

It's now evening time, many hours after this so called announcement was due to be made and the only announcement has been the code share with Air France starting from the 18 May 2019.

I'm actually surprised that know one other than myself is discussing this announcement!



Yup, check out their Twitter or Facebook Page. There's a short video of a British phone booth and it says "London Calling".


So much ado about nothing. Seems like no one at WestJet answered the call. Please hang up and try your call again (tomorrow?).
 
User avatar
Momo1435
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:33 am

There's no announcement, it's just the start of the marketing campaign for their new year round Calgary - London route.

They placed the phone boot on a busy downtown street in Calgary and for now they only posted a time lapse video with people walking by on their socials.
ttps://twitter.com/WestJet/status/1120840078962589696
 
anrec80
Posts: 2759
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:59 am

Well - these are good news. Canada certainly needs some more competition with AC (and its JVs) for overseas traffic.
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: WestJet London Announcement April 23

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:37 am

Momo1435 wrote:
There's no announcement, it's just the start of the marketing campaign for their new year round Calgary - London route.

They placed the phone boot on a busy downtown street in Calgary and for now they only posted a time lapse video with people walking by on their socials.
ttps://twitter.com/WestJet/status/1120840078962589696


Is there a chance that this announcement is related to the Bond 25 revealing happening tomorrow? Maybe a marketing campaign featuring Bond and a specially painted 787 to promote the movie and Westjet's Gatwick services?

Interestingly, I read somewhere that there was some filming that happened in Canada for the movie.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos