starguy

Re: Cathay Pacific flight attendants caught stealing

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:43 pm

OlafW wrote:
starguy wrote:
BA crew are allowed to purchase miniature sodas, spirits, wine and bears at a heavily discounted price

Well, can't blame them for wanting to save some money buying a bear, heard they are quite expensive. Just where to keep it?
SCNR

lol. Typo!

TWA772LR

Re: Cathay Pacific cracking down on crews taking pax goodies, leftovers

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:36 pm

nws2002 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
As a former CSA ive taken tons of snacks and drinks from airplanes. Never booze though, thats a big no no.

That's pretty much what we were also told when I was a gate agent as well. Help yourself to one soda or a snack but don't take 8 boxes of peanut M&Ms and a snack pack along with bottles of water and 6 Cokes. Alcohol was always a no-no like you said.

It also wasn't every flight either. Sometimes it was after 3-4 fights and multiple delays when you didn't have a chance to eat. The airline assumed it would happen and accounted for it. This as a ULCC carrier too, so even the cheapest of the cheap don't seem to mind it as long as it is not abused.

My airline semi-loosely enforced it. Our station manager was only ok with us taking water, but if the crew offered, who am I to turn down a free Coke? Lol
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

zeke

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 pm

findingnema wrote:
At least three or four years ago, crew purchase was six miniature cans for about 90p. Bottles of wine, tins of beer/cider and miniature spirits were also at heavily rebated rates. The obvious benefit to BA was that as long as crew have purchased it and had a receipt, there was no problem. If they had taken it off and no receipt, you catch people that are lifting things off of the aircraft. Today’s miniatures are tomorrow’s full bottles.

The reason for allowing crew to purchase stock has to do with customs regulations. Most countries it is illegal to remove aircraft stores from international aircraft as they are “bonded”, ie tax free.

However when they are purchased even at a nominal rate, they go from being aircraft stores to personal property and can be removed. The crew will have a receipt of payment.

Most countries it is illegal for passengers and crew to remove catering from international flights. The left over catering is normally incinerated due to quarantine requirements.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dtw2hyd

Re: Cathay Pacific cracking down on crews taking pax goodies, leftovers

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:45 pm

Is this a real issue or selectively enforced when management and unions are at odds. It appears $Millions worth of food is being wasted because of import rules.

Is it even logistically possible to manage and save on the leftover dry stock? If HKG and SFO have different catering contractors, how would SFO contractor know to reduce the dry stock uplift for SFO-HKG flight based on savings from HKG-SFO? Same brands may not be served on both flights. Honest question, how is it handled.

findingnema

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 am

zeke wrote:
findingnema wrote:
At least three or four years ago, crew purchase was six miniature cans for about 90p. Bottles of wine, tins of beer/cider and miniature spirits were also at heavily rebated rates. The obvious benefit to BA was that as long as crew have purchased it and had a receipt, there was no problem. If they had taken it off and no receipt, you catch people that are lifting things off of the aircraft. Today’s miniatures are tomorrow’s full bottles.

The reason for allowing crew to purchase stock has to do with customs regulations. Most countries it is illegal to remove aircraft stores from international aircraft as they are “bonded”, ie tax free.

However when they are purchased even at a nominal rate, they go from being aircraft stores to personal property and can be removed. The crew will have a receipt of payment.

Most countries it is illegal for passengers and crew to remove catering from international flights. The left over catering is normally incinerated due to quarantine requirements.

What I meant by my post was, some airlines don’t allow anything to be taken off of the aircraft - both from a revenue protection as well as a customs requirement. BA however, as long as it is accompanied by a receipt, does allow crew to purchase miniatures from the aircraft (as a poster upthread was mentioning seeing BA crew with miniatures.)
My postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employer’s positions, strategies or opinions

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos