Eurohub
Topic Author

Loganair to launch EMA to BRU/INV

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:48 pm

https://westbridgfordwire.com/loganair- ... K-CG-foNyc

The local Nottingham press is reporting that Loganair will begin services from East Midlands Airport on the 2nd September with a twice-daily (Mon-Thur) and daily (Fri & Sun) rotations to BRU replacing the service formerly offered by bmi regional that ended when the latter folded earlier this year. There will also be a six-weekly rotation to INV - presumably to position aircraft out for servicing etc.- again starting on the 2nd September. All services will be operated by a Loganair ER4.

I only used the EMA-BRU service on a handful of occasions but it always seemed to be popular with commuters. I don't recall anyone operating EMA-INV in recent memory.
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

sandyb123

Re: Loganair to launch EMA to BRU/INV

Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:05 pm

It’s interesting that loganair are picking up ex BMI routes as BMI was part of the same group. They’re even using the same ex-BMI aircraft.

Feels like a bit of a Phoenix operation.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Dublinspotter

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Evening,

Initially, I was really excited to see Loganair returning as a carrier operating its own routes, so it's encouraging to see Loganair expand. However, I am beginning to have concerns that they will eventually mirror, or follow the path of BMI Regional, such as opening weird routes, on the continent that made little sense -economically.

Loganair's operation is decent as of now where they are (mostly) based out of Scotland, operating for Scotland's internal and international needs. But this trajectory as sandyb123 mentioned, it seems to be a phoenix operation for BMI Regional. Im not 100% sure what exactly caused the BMI Regional operation to fail, because it did seem quite sudden, nonetheless, Loganair now have access to some of the ERJ fleet which saves the Loganair management the hassle of purchasing as many as 20 new ATRs. So that will save on costs, but if this really is BMI Regional in new colours I would be disappointed, that the niche 'Scottish centric" model is no-longer a priority.

Im no expert at all, that is just my thoughts.
Cheers,
Dublinspotter.
Dublinspotter

findingnema

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Dublinspotter wrote:

Loganair's operation is decent as of now where they are (mostly) based out of Scotland, operating for Scotland's internal and international needs. But this trajectory as sandyb123 mentioned, it seems to be a phoenix operation for BMI Regional. Im not 100% sure what exactly caused the BMI Regional operation to fail, because it did seem quite sudden, nonetheless, Loganair now have access to some of the ERJ fleet which saves the Loganair management the hassle of purchasing as many as 20 new ATRs. So that will save on costs, but if this really is BMI Regional in new colours I would be disappointed, that the niche 'Scottish centric" model is no-longer a priority.

Cheers,
Dublinspotter.

Loganair to a certain extent have always had a large operation outside of Scotland. When they were part of the extended British Midland group (or Airlines of Britain) in the late 80s and early 90s for a period they were the second or third largest airline at MAN. It was only in the mid-90s after a reorg at Midland that all of the non-Scottish routes were transferred away from Loganair to other parts of the business. Someone more familiar with LM proper might be able to explain better.

This is good news for LM and specifically for EMA to once again have access to a continental hub. Hopefully this will encourage Loganair to continue to look at expansion opportunities at East Midlands to business cities, especially as the airport is very reliant on Flybe at the minute for these type of routes.
My postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employer’s positions, strategies or opinions

mullac30

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Dublinspotter wrote:
Evening,

Initially, I was really excited to see Loganair returning as a carrier operating its own routes, so it's encouraging to see Loganair expand. However, I am beginning to have concerns that they will eventually mirror, or follow the path of BMI Regional, such as opening weird routes, on the continent that made little sense -economically.

Cheers,
Dublinspotter.

While it's true that Loganair have absorbed the entire flybmi fleet sans two leased HOP! aircraft, out of the 24 (!) new routes that LM will have launched by the end of 2019, only 9 of them are ex-flybmi, so I don't think its entirely accurate to call it a phoenix operation. You are right about how the airline is growing outside of its Scottish niche, but not all expansion is in NI and England, In fact 12 of the 24 routes are to/from Scotland.

For the 9 ex-flyBMI routes you have to consider that LM is the only airline that has both the will and the capability in the current poor state of the UK regional airline sector to run these (presumably) known to be successful routes that would have otherwise remained unserved,

Channex757

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 pm

I expect this was all to do with costs at BM driving them into bankruptcy. Loganair were there waiting to take on leases on the aircraft and in the process some debt might have been jettisoned.

Loganair can cast itself as the saviour here, giving jobs to BMI pilots and also taking on fairly unpopular aircraft from lessors. The Loganair brand is also arguably more valuable nowadays.

marcogr12

Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Aren't the small ERJs too costly to run in today's budget-cutting world of airlines? Wouldn't a turboprop like Q400 better suit financially their ops ? These E-135/45s have an extremely high cost per seat/mile and with fuel not getting any cheaper (unless we re-live the wonder years of 35$/barrel) i am concerned they might be driving themselves into losses they can't handle..Do they have routes that warrant bigger RJs like the CRJ-900 or E-190s?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

ba757gla

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 pm

Eurohub wrote:
https://westbridgfordwire.com/loganair-launches-routes-between-east-midlands-brussels-and-inverness/?fbclid=IwAR3v1tF5Q_WrI7R5BZTMNCBy0rKvrBjnn5_5Nis5AdNJwPE67K-CG-foNyc

The local Nottingham press is reporting that Loganair will begin services from East Midlands Airport on the 2nd September with a twice-daily (Mon-Thur) and daily (Fri & Sun) rotations to BRU replacing the service formerly offered by bmi regional that ended when the latter folded earlier this year. There will also be a six-weekly rotation to INV - presumably to position aircraft out for servicing etc.- again starting on the 2nd September. All services will be operated by a Loganair ER4.

I only used the EMA-BRU service on a handful of occasions but it always seemed to be popular with commuters. I don't recall anyone operating EMA-INV in recent memory.

Im sure FR operated EMA to INV around a decade ago

findingnema

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm

ba757gla wrote:
Eurohub wrote:
https://westbridgfordwire.com/loganair-launches-routes-between-east-midlands-brussels-and-inverness/?fbclid=IwAR3v1tF5Q_WrI7R5BZTMNCBy0rKvrBjnn5_5Nis5AdNJwPE67K-CG-foNyc

Im sure FR operated EMA to INV around a decade ago

They did. Not long after the base opened until 2009.
My postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent my employer’s positions, strategies or opinions

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos