Gonzalo
Topic Author

Insults between controller and pilot after near miss

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm

According to the article linked below ( spanish only ), there was an exchange of insults between a pilot and a controller after a runway incursion in Buenos Aires airport.
Pilot said he was 300 ft away from another traffic and the controller was useless, while the controller invited him to tell that in her face and ended with an “idiot!” to the pilot. Nice level of professionalism!

https://www.elpais.com.uy/mundo/aviones ... ntrol.html
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

MalevTU134

Re: Insults between controller and pilot after runway incursion

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm

Nothing like a good "CDTMYLPQTRMP" to defuse the average Argentinian... :roll:

Scarebus34

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 pm

The pilot that called the controller incompetent wasn’t the same one who reported the conflict. Avianca has stated it wasn’t their pilot who made the comment.

Oh by the way, this wasn’t a runway incursion. It was a near mid-air collision.

dcajet

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_w7_aewvMk

The actual audio and radar from the incident.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Etheereal

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:00 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:

Its kinda funny i know exactly what those words mean lol.

Also just to give you info about the incident (in case anyone else hasnt): Controller (female) said that they had a lot of traffic/work and couldnt warn/advice them properly, which prompted one pilot to say that they were being useless, and the girl invited him to tell her that personally, then she called him an idiot (after a brief space).

As someone mentioned before, there were two pilots on the radio (possible the pilots from both planes, no clue which airlines were involved there).
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

dcajet

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:09 pm

Etheereal wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

Its kinda funny i know exactly what those words mean lol.

Also just to give you info about the incident (in case anyone else hasnt): Controller (female) said that they had a lot of traffic/work and couldnt warn/advice them properly, which prompted one pilot to say that they were being useless, and the girl invited him to tell her that personally, then she called him an idiot (after a brief space).

As someone mentioned before, there were two pilots on the radio (possible the pilots from both planes, no clue which airlines were involved there).

Avianca Argentina ATR-72 AEP-SFN route

Austral E-190 RES-AEP route

NearMiss

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:13 pm

Funny that it was most definitely the ATC's fault, yet she ended up insulting the Avianca pilot.
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

ATCtower

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:13 am

NearMiss wrote:
Funny that it was most definitely the ATC's fault, yet she ended up insulting the Avianca pilot.

Can’t be sure of that without the full audio. For all we know she cleared the descending A/C to a safe altitude and they blew through it....

This was rather amusing and I’ll admit to being snippy with a pilot or two in my time but as a general rule, you probably shouldn’t state how busy you are, then continue to argue with a pilot. If you have time to argue or berate you either aren’t that busy or aren’t that good.

On that note, I’ll be the dumb requisite American who thinks the world revolves around us but I was under the presumption all ATC chatter was supposed to be in English worldwide. Is that not correct?
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

dfwjim1

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am

ATCtower wrote:
NearMiss wrote:

Can’t be sure of that without the full audio. For all we know she cleared the descending A/C to a safe altitude and they blew through it....

This was rather amusing and I’ll admit to being snippy with a pilot or two in my time but as a general rule, you probably shouldn’t state how busy you are, then continue to argue with a pilot. If you have time to argue or berate you either aren’t that busy or aren’t that good.

On that note, I’ll be the dumb requisite American who thinks the world revolves around us but I was under the presumption all ATC chatter was supposed to be in English worldwide. Is that not correct?

In Brazil, ATC speaks Portuguese to Brazilian pilots.

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:26 am

It's common for local language to be spoken by ATC to local pilots.

dcajet

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 am

ATCtower wrote:

In all Spanish-speaking countries and in Brazil as well (Portuguese) communications are in the local language. International airlines whose language is not Spanish will use English as the default language of communications. So Iberia, Aeromexico, Air Europa, LATAM Chile, etc, will use Spanish when talking to Argentinian ATC and so forth around "Iberoamerica" (Spanish America).

Waterbomber2

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:42 am

The real question is, why weren't the pilots of both aircraft following the respective TCAS resolution advisory?
It looks like the pilots of the complaining aircraft ignored TCAS descend advisory to make the conflict closer than it really needed to be.
Perhaps the "idiot" comment is warranted?

YoungDon

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
The real question is, why weren't the pilots of both aircraft following the respective TCAS resolution advisory?
It looks like the pilots of the complaining aircraft ignored TCAS descend advisory to make the conflict closer than it really needed to be.

Are we sure that both aircraft are equipped? One was an ATR-72 I believe - entirely possible it didn't have TCAS. Could also be inop.

Based on the recording she sounds ill suited to be a controller, I'll leave it at that.

PA12

Re: Insults between controller and pilot after near miss

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:18 am

Spanish speaking countries including Spain, México, Cenamer (central América) and all of S.America And I've heard Italian spoken between pilots and controllers in Italy, same in Brazil, portuguese, and French in Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, etc.

Waterbomber2

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:29 am

YoungDon wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:

Are we sure that both aircraft are equipped? One was an ATR-72 I believe - entirely possible it didn't have TCAS. Could also be inop.

Based on the recording she sounds ill suited to be a controller, I'll leave it at that.

I hear a warning bell going off in the background while the pilot is complaining, perhaps the master warning associated with the TCAS RA?

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 am

MalevTU134 wrote:

As a Uruguayan myself, I know exactly the meaning of that phrase LOL
On a serious note, that was too close for comfort and reminds me of the infamous film Fuerza Aerea Sociedad Anónima, controllers in Argentina in that documentary were very unprofessional and aparently some of them are still behaving that way.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

dennypayne

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:00 am

ATCtower wrote:

As others have noted, in a fair amount of areas, local airlines and ATC will speak the local language to each other, even though it is not supposed to be the case. My stepdad flew DL routes into South America for quite a while, and he said it affected their situational awareness negatively, even though the controllers would speak English to them.
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42

aemoreira1981

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:11 am

Two domestic flights---not unusual to speak local language. But that ATC...she did not want to take responsibility for her goof at all!

tu204

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:41 am

I've had times when flying GA in Quebec and was told a few times to Speak f*cking French...
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Veigar

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 am

Sounds like an exchange that would happen this website! Hehe

ClipperYankee

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:22 am

OK, I'll bite. Despite being bilingual I have no idea what "CDTMYLPQTRMP" means and I couldn't find anything in a search. Can someone reveal?
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900

FlySSC

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:45 am

The language is not the problem. The ATC staff in Buenos Aires is : poorly trained and noticeably incompetent and unreliable. Most pilots of internaional airlines serving EZE know it and are usually much more careful than anywhere else when they approach EZE.

flyer1225

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:39 am

ClipperYankee wrote:
OK, I'll bite. Despite being bilingual I have no idea what "CDTMYLPQTRMP" means and I couldn't find anything in a search. Can someone reveal?

Agreed, I'm EN/ES bilingual and was confused by this as well.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

aeropix

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:17 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
"CDTMYLPQTRMP"

Could I kindly ask someone "In the know" what this means? Sorry I'm not up on the latest lingo, but I would like to know this "inside joke" nonetheless. I bet I'm not the only one...

bobdarvey

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:30 am

tu204 wrote:
I've had times when flying GA in Quebec and was told a few times to Speak f*cking French...

Mmmh, they should have told you to speak f*cking Russian instead !?

DABYT

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:29 am

aeropix wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
"CDTMYLPQTRMP"

Could I kindly ask someone "In the know" what this means? Sorry I'm not up on the latest lingo, but I would like to know this "inside joke" nonetheless. I bet I'm not the only one...

Well, there we go: La Concha De Tu Madre Y La Puta Que Te Re Mil Parió
It’s not the finest language so I’ll leave you and google translator alone with that.... :lol:

CARST

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:13 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
ATCtower wrote:

In Brazil, ATC speaks Portuguese to Brazilian pilots.

WPvsMW wrote:
It's common for local language to be spoken by ATC to local pilots.

dcajet wrote:
In all Spanish-speaking countries and in Brazil as well (Portuguese) communications are in the local language. International airlines whose language is not Spanish will use English as the default language of communications. So Iberia, Aeromexico, Air Europa, LATAM Chile, etc, will use Spanish when talking to Argentinian ATC and so forth around "Iberoamerica" (Spanish America).

PA12 wrote:
Spanish speaking countries including Spain, México, Cenamer (central América) and all of S.America And I've heard Italian spoken between pilots and controllers in Italy, same in Brazil, portuguese, and French in Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, etc.

I know that local languages are spoken by ATC all over the world, but I find this highly dangerous, especially if we are talking about an airspace that might also get used by foreign pilots. It's so crazy that in this day and age we still accept that there could be more than one universal language for air traffic controllers and pilots.

I'm not a native English speaker myself, but I'm completely convinced that it would be much safer if all ATC communications would be done in English. The situatial awareness for foreign pilots in the airspace would be much better, if they know what is going on around them. Also one could question how many pilots only flying locally lack proper English skills and don't get what ATC and international pilots are talking, which again gives these local pilots no situatial awareness regarding the planes piloted by foreign pilots.

It's 2019 and we still are nationalistic as hell, that's just wrong. Especially in aviation there are no borders and there should be no language barriers...

bobdarvey

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 am

CARST wrote:
I know that local languages are spoken by ATC all over the world, but I find this highly dangerous, especially if we are talking about an airspace that might also get used by foreign pilots. It's so crazy that in this day and age we still accept that there could be more than one universal language for air traffic controllers and pilots.

I'm not a native English speaker myself, but I'm completely convinced that it would be much safer if all ATC communications would be done in English. The situatial awareness for foreign pilots in the airspace would be much better, if they know what is going on around them. Also one could question how many pilots only flying locally lack proper English skills and don't get what ATC and international pilots are talking, which again gives these local pilots no situatial awareness regarding the planes piloted by foreign pilots.

It's 2019 and we still are nationalistic as hell, that's just wrong. Especially in aviation there are no borders and there should be no language barriers...

Switzerland seem to agree with you. From June 20th, 2019, English will be the only spoken language in the Swiss airspace (sorry, the link is in French : https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/10358194 ... nded-.html).

Slash787

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 am

DABYT wrote:

Well, there we go: La Concha De Tu Madre Y La Puta Que Te Re Mil Parió
It’s not the finest language so I’ll leave you and google translator alone with that.... :lol:

Blerg

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:55 am

What exactly did she mean whens he told him to come and tell it to her face? What? She was going to punch him or whatever? She should be suspended for such lack of professionalism.

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am

CARST wrote:
I find this highly dangerous, especially if we are talking about an airspace that might also get used by foreign pilots.

Of course it's dangerous, but is a CAA going to ground all local GA pilots that don't speak English? That is the crux of the problem. The commercial pilots take advantage of ATC controllers that don't insist on English for commercial ops.

B777LRF

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:08 am

ATCtower wrote:
NearMiss wrote:

That is indeed not correct, and very far from it actually.

When I flew the 757 we quite often did a charter for Royal Air Maroc BRU-CMN-BRU, flying under a CM flight number. Every single time we passed over France, the controllers would speak to us in French unless we got a word in first. And even then, after we've initially addressed them in English, they'd quite often talk French to us the next time we were due an instruction. We were even questioned on why we didn't speak French, as we were carrying a CM flight number.

Even in CDG, ATC will communicate in French to local airlines and English to all the others. That's incredibly confusing and will contribute to losing situational awareness. There was an accident in CDG once, where a contributing factor was usage of two languages and a recommendation to cease that practice. Not surprisingly, the French stuck their middle finger up at that recommendation.

Spain is just as bad, with the added caveat that Spanish speaking pilots will often get preference (e.g. stick BA in the hold and give Iberia a short-cut to finals).

You learn to live with it, but it's certainly not safety enhancing!
Signature. You just read one.

ChrisEtihad272

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 am

it was my understanding that all Air traffic control and aircraft pilots are supposed to speak in english to stop any incidents language related.

if that is not the law then it should be!

asdf

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:41 am

Blerg wrote:
What exactly did she mean whens he told him to come and tell it to her face? What? She was going to punch him or whatever? She should be suspended for such lack of professionalism.

maybe she wanted to apologize very personally ...
;-)

klm617

Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 am

Once again why is ATC in the native language of the country. The language of aviation is English and should be practiced as such.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Breathe

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Reminds me of the "Settle down, Captain Happy" ATC encounter with a Delta pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_HCZ1YBaQo

SAAFNAV

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:34 pm

klm617 wrote:
Once again why is ATC in the native language of the country. The language of aviation is English and should be practiced as such.

Please tell that to ICAO, who also deem French, Spanish, Russian and Chinese as official aviation languages. They only say everyone not able to speak one of the other must be communicated to in English, but they do not prohibit speaking in one of the other official languages.
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

SAAFNAV

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:38 pm

YoungDon wrote:

Interesting document about different regulator's requirement for TCAS: https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operations/co ... -cns/tcas/

Very small chance that the ATR-72 did not require TCAS, but it being inop is a possibility
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

klm617

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 pm

SAAFNAV wrote:
klm617 wrote:

Please tell that to ICAO, who also deem French, Spanish, Russian and Chinese as official aviation languages. They only say everyone not able to speak one of the other must be communicated to in English, but they do not prohibit speaking in one of the other official languages.

In 2001, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) determined that English would, from then on, be the standardized language of air travel, and issued a directive that stated that all aviation personnel—pilots, flight crews, and air traffic controllers—must pass an English proficiency test. The mandatory compliance date was March 5, 2008. Not only must applicants know the appropriate aviation terminology in English, they must also be able to understand English instructions via radio, with no facial cues to prompt them. They also must learn to develop as benign an accent as possible, so that they are “intelligible to the aeronautical community.”

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55677/wh ... uage-skies
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

dtw2hyd

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Blerg wrote:

I think it is a translation issue, she might have meant he could have complained privately rather than calling her incompetent on open frequency.

She also acknowledged the spacing issue and explained her reasons. She even said please.

Was there a blocked out word before she called him an idiot?

Also Spanish is vocally such a soothing language, non-Spanish speakers would never think they were insulting each other.

Byron1976

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

On a serious note, that was too close for comfort and reminds me of the infamous film Fuerza Aerea Sociedad Anónima, controllers in Argentina in that documentary were very unprofessional and aparently some of them are still behaving that way.

:checkmark:
I reminded exactly the same documentary... It seems that nothing changes.

Aesma

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm

klm617 wrote:
SAAFNAV wrote:
klm617 wrote:

In 2001, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) determined that English would, from then on, be the standardized language of air travel, and issued a directive that stated that all aviation personnel—pilots, flight crews, and air traffic controllers—must pass an English proficiency test. The mandatory compliance date was March 5, 2008. Not only must applicants know the appropriate aviation terminology in English, they must also be able to understand English instructions via radio, with no facial cues to prompt them. They also must learn to develop as benign an accent as possible, so that they are “intelligible to the aeronautical community.”

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55677/wh ... uage-skies

I couldn't find it after a quick search on ICAO's website.

Are you sure it's a rule and not a recommendation ?

If it's a rule, it seems nobody cares.

I understand that most pilots that use CDG might want English to be used there, even French ones (English talked by French people is easy to understand for French people anyway), but for smaller airports with 99% national traffic, that's another story.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

triple3driver

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:38 pm

ChrisEtihad272 wrote:
it was my understanding that all Air traffic control and aircraft pilots are supposed to speak in english to stop any incidents language related.

if that is not the law then it should be!

That's the way it should be, but in practice it's not. When I flew the 737, one of the worst aspects of flying to Latin America was the fact that more often than not the ATC would speak Spanish rather than English, which is obviously confusing if you're not local, like if you're American, which a lot of us going down there are. Let's just say, it was nerve-racking going down there, it's absolutely terrible. Even now, there have been a few occasions in the short time that I've been flying the A330 where the controllers would speak in their native language and it can hamper situational awareness drastically, although it hasn't occurred nearly to the extent that I've seen in the Caribbean and Latin America.
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:28 pm

Byron1976 wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:

:checkmark:
I reminded exactly the same documentary... It seems that nothing changes.

Even worst, things have changed, in the time of that film the lack of professionalism only had effects on a few airlines, now you have ten times more flights.

D L X

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:31 pm

bobdarvey wrote:
CARST wrote:

Switzerland seem to agree with you. From June 20th, 2019, English will be the only spoken language in the Swiss airspace (sorry, the link is in French : https://www.rts.ch/info/suisse/10358194-les-pilotes-romands-qui-ne-parlent-pas-anglais-risquent-d-etre-grounded-.html).

Sorry, the link is in French. I see what you did there!

bobdarvey

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:05 pm

D L X wrote:

Sorry, the link is in French. I see what you did there!

You mean the « link » b’tween my profile’s pic and the one in the article ?

Already been in LSGS ?

trnswrld

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:06 pm

What an absolute disgrace she is to Air Traffic Control. I have nothing else to say :(

ExMilitaryEng

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:38 pm

tu204 wrote:
I've had times when flying GA in Quebec and was told a few times to speak French...

I'm very surprised to hear that.

It's more like the other way around. The minute we hear english comms (GA or not) in proximity, everyone switches to english. It would be very stupid to demand french comms to non-francophones. And we all want this guy to know where we are.

You hear english comms most often around Montréal.

I find your comment rather suspect considering how far it is from reality...

AirKevin

Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Captain Kevin

klm617

Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:45 pm

trnswrld wrote:
What an absolute disgrace she is to Air Traffic Control. I have nothing else to say :(

Exactly just like the lady in Columbia that almost caused the LH A340 to collide with another jet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos