Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
departedflights
Topic Author
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 pm

Does anyone happen to know what Panagra's 2-letter code was?

Thanks in advance.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:01 pm

PY

Google is your friend
 
departedflights
Topic Author
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm

departedflights wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what Panagra's 2-letter code was?

Thanks in advance.


Just out of curiosity, what did you search for because I tried Google first and came up with no clear answer. It was not my friend. That's why I came here next.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
seat1a
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:52 pm

I tried a Google search, too, and came up with PGI. Curious about Panagra recently, did they and Braniff both fly to South America? Which routes did they share or have separately? When you go through the old BI magazines, it appeared to be a merger of two SA routes. Who had what? Thanks
 
djvalume
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:09 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 pm

I searched for panagra iata code and came up with 7E not PY...

https://airportsinsider.com/airlines/un ... ra-airways
 
wingsofman72
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:57 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 pm

I was PG back in the day...PY is Suriname Airways...7E is some new iteration of Panagra I suspect. Just look at Timetable Images for any old airline and you should find it's code.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:55 pm

I came up with PY as well, multiple sites.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
departedflights
Topic Author
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 pm

seat1a wrote:
I tried a Google search, too, and came up with PGI. Curious about Panagra recently, did they and Braniff both fly to South America? Which routes did they share or have separately? When you go through the old BI magazines, it appeared to be a merger of two SA routes. Who had what? Thanks


seat1a,

I can't find a lot about the merger, but I did come across a little that may be of interest.

An article in the May 1967 issue of Air Transport World states: "For $30 million, BI bought an airline capitalized at $18 million whose 8878 route mileage to South America predominantly paralleled its own. Stations added there are Antofagasta and Santiago, Chile; Quito, Ecuador, and Cali, Colombia. BI also picks up two western U.S. gateways - from San Francisco and Los Angeles, partly via Pan Am to Panama and southward. It gets seven Douglas jets and will take five more ordered by Panagra."

Furthermore, an advertisement that year reads:

"In the old days, Panagra and Braniff very nearly duplicated each other's routes and departure times (rather like the way competing television networks put on their best shows at the same hour). The merger will allow us to spread those flights evenly, giving our passengers a greater number of departure times from which to choose."

So it seems, at least to me, that the route system were very similar. I would gladly accept any other information that other users can provide, though!

Image
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
sparky35805
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 pm

Im almost positive that Panagra's code was PG.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:12 pm

departedflights wrote:
departedflights wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what Panagra's 2-letter code was?

Thanks in advance.


Just out of curiosity, what did you search for because I tried Google first and came up with no clear answer. It was not my friend. That's why I came here next.

Put in "Panagra", one of the first results (as almost always) is the Wikipedia article on the subject:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Ame ... ce_Airways
 
departedflights
Topic Author
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:22 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
departedflights wrote:
departedflights wrote:
Does anyone happen to know what Panagra's 2-letter code was?

Thanks in advance.


Just out of curiosity, what did you search for because I tried Google first and came up with no clear answer. It was not my friend. That's why I came here next.

Put in "Panagra", one of the first results (as almost always) is the Wikipedia article on the subject:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Ame ... ce_Airways


Ahhh.... my mistake for actually searching for "Panagra 2 letter code."

I appreciate your help, although some people are disputing the accuracy of "PY." It is wikipedia, after all.

Thanks again.
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.
 
MalevTU134
Posts: 2188
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 pm

departedflights wrote:
MalevTU134 wrote:
departedflights wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what did you search for because I tried Google first and came up with no clear answer. It was not my friend. That's why I came here next.

Put in "Panagra", one of the first results (as almost always) is the Wikipedia article on the subject:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Ame ... ce_Airways


Ahhh.... my mistake for actually searching for "Panagra 2 letter code."

I appreciate your help, although some people are disputing the accuracy of "PY." It is wikipedia, after all.

Thanks again.

:bigthumbsup:
 
seat1a
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02 pm

departedflights wrote:
seat1a wrote:
I tried a Google search, too, and came up with PGI. Curious about Panagra recently, did they and Braniff both fly to South America? Which routes did they share or have separately? When you go through the old BI magazines, it appeared to be a merger of two SA routes. Who had what? Thanks


seat1a,

I can't find a lot about the merger, but I did come across a little that may be of interest.

An article in the May 1967 issue of Air Transport World states: "For $30 million, BI bought an airline capitalized at $18 million whose 8878 route mileage to South America predominantly paralleled its own. Stations added there are Antofagasta and Santiago, Chile; Quito, Ecuador, and Cali, Colombia. BI also picks up two western U.S. gateways - from San Francisco and Los Angeles, partly via Pan Am to Panama and southward. It gets seven Douglas jets and will take five more ordered by Panagra."

Furthermore, an advertisement that year reads:

"In the old days, Panagra and Braniff very nearly duplicated each other's routes and departure times (rather like the way competing television networks put on their best shows at the same hour). The merger will allow us to spread those flights evenly, giving our passengers a greater number of departure times from which to choose."

So it seems, at least to me, that the route system were very similar. I would gladly accept any other information that other users can provide, though!

Image


Check. Thank you ... and this is the advertisement I saw on Departedflights that got me wondering. It says duplicative routes and similar times. I was specifically interested in who had the LAX-South America routes (I think it was Lima, Santiago and Bogota), but who flew it originally.
 
SELMER40
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:21 pm

My 1 August 1955 Pan American World Airways timetable shows Pan American-Grace Airways (PANAGRA) carrier code to be PG.
Teaching this old dog a new trick
 
User avatar
EstherLouise
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:32 am

Panagra. Sounds like a place of a great battle.... when the walls fell. His arms wide.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83
 
User avatar
longhauler
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:00 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
PY

Google is your friend


Google is rarely your friend. When making a query, one must first sift and filter through all of the pages of websites that pay google to be placed first. Sometimes it’s what you are looking for, normally it’s not. I find that with anything aviation related, paid travel websites come first.

Case in point. Looking at google, one might think Pan American - Grace Airways’ code was PY. In fact, that was the marketing code of the resurrected Panagra Airways from 1990.

The code from Pan American - Grace Airways from the 1950s era, was in fact PG.

(You won’t find that on google) ;)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!
 
mga707
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:10 am

seat1a wrote:
I tried a Google search, too, and came up with PGI. Curious about Panagra recently, did they and Braniff both fly to South America? Which routes did they share or have separately? When you go through the old BI magazines, it appeared to be a merger of two SA routes. Who had what? Thanks


Braniff flew TO and within South America, starting shortly after WW2. PANAGRA flew WITHIN South America, beginning in the late 1920s or early 1930s. PANAGRA never flew north of Panama City, although for decades they operated interchange flights with Pan American (and later also with National) on flights to/from the USA. Braniff acquired PANAGRA from Pan Am and the Grace shipping company in February 1967. They competed directly on only a few routes. At the time of the merger both airlines served Panama City, Guayaquil, Lima, La Paz, and Buenos Aires.
Last edited by mga707 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
mga707
Posts: 309
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:12 am

mga707 wrote:
seat1a wrote:
I tried a Google search, too, and came up with PGI. Curious about Panagra recently, did they and Braniff both fly to South America? Which routes did they share or have separately? When you go through the old BI magazines, it appeared to be a merger of two SA routes. Who had what? Thanks


duplicate
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5635
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:05 am

Here's a great reference to Panagra's routes and timetables:

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/com ... te.htm#USA

Scroll down to Panagra.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
timz
Posts: 6582
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: Panagra's 2-letter code?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 pm

departedflights wrote:
some people are disputing the accuracy of "PY."

Offhand guess: you won't find any OAG that calls Panagra PY -- just PG.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos