ojjunior
Topic Author

AR to cancel all flights tomorrow Apr, 30th

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:26 am

Apparently they're not happy with austerity program of President Mauricio Macri.

"The Aerolineas cancellations will affect 350 flights and 22,000 passengers, the airline said in a statement."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-protests-airlines/flagship-argentine-airline-cancels-tuesday-flights-due-to-strike-idUSKCN1S40LV

aacun

Re: AR to cancel all flights tomorrow Apr, 30th

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:02 pm

Isn’t it kind of a national strike? It could also affect airport operations so it may not only be AR affected tomorrow. I read other public transportation services will be affected .

ojjunior
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:09 pm

aacun wrote:
Isn’t it kind of a national strike? It could also affect airport operations so it may not only be AR affected tomorrow. I read other public transportation services will be affected .

That's what I heard on the news either.
Kind of a general strike led by Mr.Macri's opposition in order to try to weaken the government.
Definitely not a good week to visit Argentina.

marcoantona

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:21 pm

All airlines in Argentina have cancelled their flights as ramp services company Intercargo will be on strike (like many other areas as well). The only airline flying will be Flybondi as they have their own ramp service. JetSmart has its own ramp service but only in EPA. That’s why they will only fly to SCL.

International airlines have also re-scheduled their flights. For instance, Norwegian is landing and departing this evening instead of tomorrow morning.

Longhornmaniac

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Curious about AA's situation. Supposed to fly MIA-EZE tonight.
Cheers,
Cameron

DABYT

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:00 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:

I suppose your flight will be canceled. And you don’t want to arrive during a national strike. Nothing’s going to work tomorrow: no buses, no trains, banks closed, road blocks...
LH has already cancelled their daily flight from FRA so I suppose that every major carrier will suspend flights tomorrow. Obviously to be sure you should contact AA.

AF0X

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:22 pm

As other posters said, it not just AR but most other airlines will do as well, as most services won't be operative due to a national strike to protest the government and the IMF-sanctioned measures.

marcoantona

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:38 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:

American flights will operate as normal. They have their own ramp staff. They almost never cancel when these strikes occur.
Regarding your arrival to EZE, you will have Uber and Cabify services up and running.

Just as a comment, buses are going to work. Just some lines will stop.
The strike is divided onto two days:
30APR strike:
- No trucks (no fuel, no supermarket stocking, no mail, no trash collection)
- No subway
- Sarmiento Train line will stop; all other lines will work as normal.
- Some bus lines will not work.

01MAY transport strike:
- No buses at all.
- No subway at all.
- No trains at all.
- APLA Union pilots will strike: (AR/AU, LATAM Argentina, Andes and Avianca).
- Norwegian, Flybondi and JetSmart are supposed to operate as normal.

Hope you can get safe to your destination! As said before, complicated day to land in Buenos Aires.

dcajet

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Flybondi will bve operating normally on both days; they are not unionized. Norwegian and JetSmart won't be, even though they are not unionized. But they oneed ramp services from Intercargo which is heavily unionized. International airlines will operate with modified schedules, such as COPA as they rely on ground services that may not be available. American Airlines will operate norally as they provide their own ground support services in Argentina.
Last edited by dcajet on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

marcoantona

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:51 pm

dcajet wrote:
Flybondi, JetSmart and Norwegian are all operating normally on both days; they are not unionized. International airlines will operate with modified schedules, such as COPA as they rely on ground services that may not be available. American Airlines will operate normally as they provide their own ground support services in Argentina.

JetSmart and Norwegian are not operating tomorrow 30APR. JetSmart has issued a statement on their website and Norwegian has sent an internal email explaining it is impossible to fly due to lack of ramp services.

Maybe you could read my previous post before just stamping your mistaken opinion.

aacun

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

dcajet wrote:
Flybondi, JetSmart and Norwegian are all operating normally on both days; they are not unionized. International airlines will operate with modified schedules, such as COPA as they rely on ground services that may not be available. American Airlines will operate normally as they provide their own ground support services in Argentina.

I have had layovers there when there is a national strike. Not good. We had to stay at a hotel by the airport as traffic was impossible .... If you’re there for an extended layover you’re really SOL for the time you’re there !!!!!!

dcajet

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:49 pm

United has cancelled the EWR & IAH to EZE departures for this evening, which means no Tuesday arrivals or departures for UA in Argentina.

330lover

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:01 pm

dcajet wrote:
Flybondi will bve operating normally on both days; they are not unionized. Norwegian and JetSmart won't be, even though they are not unionized. But they oneed ramp services from Intercargo which is heavily unionized. International airlines will operate with modified schedules, such as COPA as they rely on ground services that may not be available. American Airlines will operate norally as they provide their own ground support services in Argentina.

So, just curious, could their OW partners like IB and BA benefit from this and use their services?
Or are they not allowed to provide services to other airlines?
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

MalevTU134

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:59 pm

marcoantona wrote:
dcajet wrote:

JetSmart and Norwegian are not operating tomorrow 30APR. JetSmart has issued a statement on their website and Norwegian has sent an internal email explaining it is impossible to fly due to lack of ramp services.

Maybe you could read my previous post before just stamping your mistaken opinion.

I think he said pretty much the same things as you, although you said it in more detail. He was probably writing his post while you posted yours. ;)
Anyway, thank you for your detailed info.

bustraveler1999

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:48 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Apparently they're not happy with austerity program of President Mauricio Macri.

"The Aerolineas cancellations will affect 350 flights and 22,000 passengers, the airline said in a statement."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-protests-airlines/flagship-argentine-airline-cancels-tuesday-flights-due-to-strike-idUSKCN1S40LV

I'm scheduled on AR 1305 MIA - EZE tomorrow 4/30....still showing scheduled. You think this is still accurate? No press release from AR yet issued - but I do see a few of their flights have cancelled. Travel agent got AR on the phone and they say it's still scheduled to go out.

ojjunior
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm

bustraveler1999 wrote:
I'm scheduled on AR 1305 MIA - EZE tomorrow 4/30....still showing scheduled. You think this is still accurate? No press release from AR yet issued - but I do see a few of their flights have cancelled. Travel agent got AR on the phone and they say it's still scheduled to go out.

Indeed AR1305 still shows as scheduled and AR1304 is in the air as we speak: https://www.flightradar24.com/ARG1304/205479b5

But "scheduled" is the standard status for any upcoming flight so this doesn't mean too much, I mean, this might change at any moment.
If I were you I'd be at the airport veeeeeeeeeery soon so in case of any cancelation you might be among the firsts to be attended by the airline for realocation or something like this.

bustraveler1999

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Yeah - my 1305 flight is tomorrow, 4/30. I'll need 1304 tomorrow to arrive MIA as scheduled.
It does seem like all the long-haul AR ops are operating as scheduled tomorrow 4/30 per flightstats.

ojjunior
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:31 pm

bustraveler1999 wrote:
Yeah - my 1305 flight is tomorrow, 4/30. I'll need 1304 tomorrow to arrive MIA as scheduled.
It does seem like all the long-haul AR ops are operating as scheduled tomorrow 4/30 per flightstats.

Well, there's a lot of incoming flights to EZE already cancelled as of tomorrow, all Europeans for instance are gone, among several others. Yours still showing as scheduled, but I believe this info is pretty dynamic...

https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/eze/arrivals

Good luck bud.

gunnerman

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:38 pm

BA's LHR-EZE flight today (29 April) is cancelled. Tomorrow's flight due to arrive at 0820 on 1 May is showing as operating but as there is no availability to book I think that this means that BA has taken the precaution of restricting booked passengers with the view to cancelling this one as well.

Longhornmaniac

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:07 pm

All of Delta's and United's flights tonight are canceled. All of American's flights are operating as scheduled. Sometimes it pays to be the biggest in a destination.

Glad I already have private transport arranged to the hotel! Will make sure to stay away from the Plaza de Mayo tomorrow.
Cheers,
Cameron

dcajet

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 am

European airlines are moving schedules to arrive either before or right after the industrial action times. Norwegian UK operated tonight's service from LGW earlier today and Air Europa, Air France and Iberia are delaying their departures so they can arrive at EZE right after the strike is over. Others are cancelling/modifying schedules such as COPA.

CM453 EZE-PTY leaves early 23.30/29APR
CM364 EZE-PTY cancelled
CM278 EZE-PTY cancelled
CM806 ROS-PTY leaves early 22.30/29APR
CM101 COR-PTY cancelled
CM421 MDZ-PTY cancelled

AtomicGarden

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:26 am

marcoantona wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
01MAY transport strike:
- No buses at all.
- No subway at all.
- No trains at all.
- APLA Union pilots will strike: (AR/AU, LATAM Argentina, Andes and Avianca).
- Norwegian, Flybondi and JetSmart are supposed to operate as normal.

On May 1st it's the AAA union (FA's) the ones to strike, but even that is not really confirmed. Of course, it still means all flights get grounded.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

leftcoast8

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 am

I am disappointed. I was hoping Argentina would see happier times with the defeat of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner in 2015, but it doesn't look like it.

AtomicGarden

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
I am disappointed. I was hoping Argentina would see happier times with the defeat of Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner in 2015, but it doesn't look like it.

I have never in my life voted for Macri when he was Chief of Government in Buenos Aires, or voted for his party in any kind of national or local election, yet I'd vote for him in a heartbeat if CFK had chances to return to power.

That said, MM hasn't done well in the economic front, at all, and it's mostly his own fault.

BTW it's only a matter of time until AR unions go for a strike as wage negotiations are going nowhere lately. The company's offer is lackluster (15% for the next 3 months, but nothing on the last 3) and unions are very combative and part of the political Peronist opposition.

leftcoast8

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:26 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
That said, MM hasn't done well in the economic front, at all, and it's mostly his own fault.

I think Macri seems to be in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation due to the IMF's hard line. He was handed a rough deal thanks to CFK's Peronist policies.

By the way, didn't CFK or at least FPV as a whole, have a deep role in the AMIA bombing cover up (and have the whistleblower Alberto Nisman assassinated)?

Gonzalo

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:14 am

Good lord!!! Argentinians never learn!! This national tradition of doing strikes every time the populism fails and the crisis arises ( the only logical result ), it makes the things worst, not better. There is a sort of national pride feeling, reflected in phrases like “we are condemned to success” that makes this strikes more acceptable for many people inside Argentina, but the reality is, the economic cycle will be the same : crisis, strikes, populist win, things good for a few months while populist government gives away all the money in subsidies, economic crash, crisis, strikes, populist win....and so on and on.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

gunnerman

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:05 pm

BA has not cancelled tonight's flight (30 April), still scheduled to leave LHR at 2225 arriving EZE 0820 tomorrow. It's fully booked as well, so some of the 275 passengers could have a problem getting to their homes or hotels. Plenty of business for taxi drivers?

AtomicGarden

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

I think Macri seems to be in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation due to the IMF's hard line. He was handed a rough deal thanks to CFK's Peronist policies.

By the way, didn't CFK or at least FPV as a whole, have a deep role in the AMIA bombing cover up (and have the whistleblower Alberto Nisman assassinated)?

MM shouldn't have fallen into the hands of the IMF firstly, but after last year's financial collapse, he didn't have much of a choice. Sad, never voted for him but had some expectations of real changes. Honestly, other than economy, I don't mind if he remains in office, anything is better than populism.

CFK didn't "cover up" the AMIA bombing per se, but they did make an awful and disastrous deal with the Iranians which would have led the investigation nowhere (basically giving them the chance to investigate and prosecute, which would never happen of course. In exchange of what and what do we gain, that's the discussion). What Nisman did was an attempt to prosecute her and her cronies, he was a federal attorney, I wouldn't call him "whistleblower".

Back on topic, we are expecting flights tomorrow but accesing the airports is gonna be a tough one. Several tranportation unions (many which today operated normally) are striking on Labors Day demanding an end to the taxation on extra hours. I do not disagree with that claim, but it's not gonna change things, strikes rarely do, but complaining is kinda our national sport! that and queing.

dcajet

Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 am

And with the strike almost over, oodles of flights are on their way from Europe and North America to Argentina. Yet another useless strike that accomplished nothing, irritated the common citizen and does more harm to the organizers than to President Macri. On top of that, the events in Venezuela ended up completely taking the attention off the strike.

And one can see AR1305 MIA-EZE operated by LV-FNK, the flight that member bustraveler1999 was concerned about being cancelled. On time and on its way to EZE. All's well that ends well.

marcoantona

Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm

Delays and cancellations this morning in Aeroparque AEP for some AR/AU and Avianca A0 flights as the FA’s union joins the general transport strike.

All other airlines operating normally.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos