• 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 am

BITRE Domestic figures for March have been released at https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/domestic_airline_activity-monthly_publications.aspx

As expected, March figures are lower pretty much across the board (BNE-HBA the main exception with 8.5% growth) given this year Easter occurred later in April. Of note BNE-PPP was one of the worst performers, down over 12%, which is significant because this route was one named in the recent cuts over May and June by VA.

Looking forward, one would expect April figures across the board to be higher than usual, and then for May to drop-off again given not only the Easter/ANZAC super-fortnight in late April attracting would-be May leisure travellers, but also the Federal Election's effect on reduced demand.
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 1:42 pm

TasFlyer wrote:
BITRE Domestic figures for March have been released at https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/domestic_airline_activity-monthly_publications.aspx

As expected, March figures are lower pretty much across the board (BNE-HBA the main exception with 8.5% growth) given this year Easter occurred later in April.


Excellent to see that BNE-HBA has recorded good growth, both for Brisbane and Tasmania. It was not that long ago that the route struggled to support one Virgin Embraer per day - now we have two or three flights per day throughout most of the year, plus seasonal increases over summer.

I take it that this growth is largely due to Virgin increasing services on the route? I know that they increased from daily to 9 flights per week a while back, but my mind escapes me right now as to exactly when this happened.

A few intra-WA routes are starting to bounce back - KGI-PER recorded growth of 15.4% over the same time period, with PHE and ZNE showing solid growth. A long way from the mining boom peak for sure, but it is still very encouraging to see some of our intrastate routes grow again.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

budgetflyer wrote:
TasFlyer wrote:
BITRE Domestic figures for March have been released at https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/ongoing/domestic_airline_activity-monthly_publications.aspx

As expected, March figures are lower pretty much across the board (BNE-HBA the main exception with 8.5% growth) given this year Easter occurred later in April.


Excellent to see that BNE-HBA has recorded good growth, both for Brisbane and Tasmania. It was not that long ago that the route struggled to support one Virgin Embraer per day - now we have two or three flights per day throughout most of the year, plus seasonal increases over summer.

I take it that this growth is largely due to Virgin increasing services on the route? I know that they increased from daily to 9 flights per week a while back, but my mind escapes me right now as to exactly when this happened.

A few intra-WA routes are starting to bounce back - KGI-PER recorded growth of 15.4% over the same time period, with PHE and ZNE showing solid growth. A long way from the mining boom peak for sure, but it is still very encouraging to see some of our intrastate routes grow again.


VA increased BNE-HBA to nine flights per week from July last year.
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 1:44 am

Would be nice to see HBA build a few aerobridges. I think it’s big enough (grown enough) to warrant it. Maybe 3-4?
It’s the only capital city without any not that that should be the determining factor but that would be nice for HBA.
NSW based avgeek
 
Ellofiend
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 3:02 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
In the interests of balancing things up, should we gather thoughts of what VA has done right?

For mine:
737 MAX deferral - a good move
Changing the 737 MAX fleet mix to have a few more of the larger size, also a smart move.
Removing the Embraers - kind of torn on this one, from a passenger experience they were great, but clearly they had to be full, and at decent fare levels to break even.
Getting all the brands under a single brand, rather than Pacific Blue, V Australia etc
Adding partners, even Silkair (which came onboard after Singapore Airlines) increased the reach in to Asia. Jumping on South African as soon as their partnership split from QF.
Full access to the former Etihad lounges in MEL/SYD for all VA international flights
PER airport - QF may be at constant loggerheads with PER but VA is sitting pretty with access to international oncarriage (would be better if EY was still in PER though).

That's a few off the top of my head.


Axing the leisure destinations from the 77W (e.g HKT, NAN). It's way too much plane and too premium heavy for low yielding tourist destination routes. 77Ws to HKT/NAN was a Godfrey decision which was quickly reversed when JB first arrived.
Pulling out of JNB when it's clear they don't have ETOPS approval for two-engine operation on the shorter route to JNB.
Partnerships with AC and extending the HA partnership to cover Trans-Tasman flights.
Streamlining the domestic fleet (e.g removal of Embraers, ATR-500s, and almost all of the 73G fleet).
Finally streamlining the international lounge access, including (as mentioned) getting access to the former EY lounge in SYD/MEL.

Did they not acquire far better landing slots at LAX? They used to arrive after all the connections left but now they leave with the rest of the trans-pac contingent to arrive in time for all the connections to be made ( must've been wondering why everyone left at a one time in SYD and their numbers were so high compared to VA's)
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7768
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 3:22 am

Ellofiend wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Obzerva wrote:
In the interests of balancing things up, should we gather thoughts of what VA has done right?

For mine:
737 MAX deferral - a good move
Changing the 737 MAX fleet mix to have a few more of the larger size, also a smart move.
Removing the Embraers - kind of torn on this one, from a passenger experience they were great, but clearly they had to be full, and at decent fare levels to break even.
Getting all the brands under a single brand, rather than Pacific Blue, V Australia etc
Adding partners, even Silkair (which came onboard after Singapore Airlines) increased the reach in to Asia. Jumping on South African as soon as their partnership split from QF.
Full access to the former Etihad lounges in MEL/SYD for all VA international flights
PER airport - QF may be at constant loggerheads with PER but VA is sitting pretty with access to international oncarriage (would be better if EY was still in PER though).

That's a few off the top of my head.


Axing the leisure destinations from the 77W (e.g HKT, NAN). It's way too much plane and too premium heavy for low yielding tourist destination routes. 77Ws to HKT/NAN was a Godfrey decision which was quickly reversed when JB first arrived.
Pulling out of JNB when it's clear they don't have ETOPS approval for two-engine operation on the shorter route to JNB.
Partnerships with AC and extending the HA partnership to cover Trans-Tasman flights.
Streamlining the domestic fleet (e.g removal of Embraers, ATR-500s, and almost all of the 73G fleet).
Finally streamlining the international lounge access, including (as mentioned) getting access to the former EY lounge in SYD/MEL.

Did they not acquire far better landing slots at LAX? They used to arrive after all the connections left but now they leave with the rest of the trans-pac contingent to arrive in time for all the connections to be made ( must've been wondering why everyone left at a one time in SYD and their numbers were so high compared to VA's)


LAX doesn't have slots.

The old times were utilisation related. The late departure from Sydney allowed them to operate SYD-NAN-SYD between LAX turns.

The current once weekly VA6 has got to be one of the most obscure flight times I've seen. At least VA9 correlates with QF49/QF95.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 am

TasFlyer wrote:


VA increased BNE-HBA to nine flights per week from July last year.


Thanks - wonder what the cause of this growth was?

SeaEagle8 wrote:
Would be nice to see HBA build a few aerobridges. I think it’s big enough (grown enough) to warrant it. Maybe 3-4?
It’s the only capital city without any not that that should be the determining factor but that would be nice for HBA.


Would be great to see this happen, although the current owners of HBA seem to be taking a no-frills approach to expansion. The upgrades coming over the next two years certainly look nice - shame that HBA did not take this opportunity to incorporate aerobridges into the redesign. At the very least, an indoor, covered walkway, running from the gate area across the length of the terminal, would be a cheap way to improve the passenger experience.

In other news, Philippine Airlines are adjusting their Sydney services from August. Operational aircraft is switching to A330 from A321, however three weekly flights are being cut to make for a total of six per week.

Perhaps the lower seat-kilometre costs of the A330 are a factor in this decision?

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... gust-2019/
 
VHZNE
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 6:46 am

budgetflyer wrote:

In other news, Philippine Airlines are adjusting their Sydney services from August. Operational aircraft is switching to A330 from A321, however three weekly flights are being cut to make for a total of six per week.

Perhaps the lower seat-kilometre costs of the A330 are a factor in this decision?

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... gust-2019/


Could potentially be due to the weight limitations with the flight distance, it was not uncommon for them to leave all luggage behind.
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 am

budgetflyer wrote:
In other news, Philippine Airlines are adjusting their Sydney services from August. Operational aircraft is switching to A330 from A321, however three weekly flights are being cut to make for a total of six per week.

Perhaps the lower seat-kilometre costs of the A330 are a factor in this decision?

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... gust-2019/


Or perhaps they needed to boost capacity and put premium economy back on the route.
NSW based avgeek
 
Qantas737
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm

Virgin Australia to downsize 2 return flights per week between Cairns and Brisbane with an expanded wet lease agreement using Alliance Fokker F100s.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/lifestyle ... bebccd47b3

My gut tells me that we'll be seeing more and more of this on regional routes in the near future in an apparent bid to cut costs and rightsize aircraft (e.g. MKY-BNE and perhaps even TSV-BNE). How much capacity does Alliance have in order to continue adding RPT services on behalf of Virgin? Surely their F100/F70 fleet is beginning to get a little stretched?

Being a regular on the Alliance operated VA flights between Brisbane and Rocky, I've noticed that the F100s used on that route tend to be all VH-UQ# regos, which are all ex-Austrian aircraft, whilst the F100s in Townsville operating mine charters seem to always be VH-XWR and VH-XWS which are ex-Air Berlin. Is this to ensure a consistent hard product between services as they tend to retain the former operator's interiors? (Or at least do in the case of the ex-Austrian aircraft...)
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
Would be nice to see HBA build a few aerobridges. I think it’s big enough (grown enough) to warrant it. Maybe 3-4?
It’s the only capital city without any not that that should be the determining factor but that would be nice for HBA.


Maybe they could put covered walkways jutting out from the terminal like MEB (Essendon) had. Sorry, no disrespect, I just couldn't resist. :spin: :spin:
 
Ivarino
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 3:36 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 7:35 am

HM7 wrote:
Isn’t VH-OEB supposed to be gone already?


Any news on when OEB will be retired? It's still in service having done HND and SCL recently.

EBG was scheduled for a refurb too in mid May?
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2349
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 10:50 am

I believe Alliance has lots of slack in their fleet during certain times of the day and especially on Saturdays. The wetlease rates at one time were very favourable too.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Wed May 22, 2019 11:56 am

TN486T wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
Would be nice to see HBA build a few aerobridges. I think it’s big enough (grown enough) to warrant it. Maybe 3-4?
It’s the only capital city without any not that that should be the determining factor but that would be nice for HBA.


Maybe they could put covered walkways jutting out from the terminal like MEB (Essendon) had. Sorry, no disrespect, I just couldn't resist. :spin: :spin:


The airlines have said that they not only don't want to pay the extra cost for aerobridges, but also don't want the time penalty of longer turnarounds.

With the apron moving from power-in/power-out operation to power-in/push-back operation from July, there appears to be scope for covered walkways to be installed. Ramps have also been mooted to replace the front stairs.

HBA really needs a complete rebuild, but this won't happen until at least 2030.
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 12:43 am

Ivarino wrote:
HM7 wrote:
Isn’t VH-OEB supposed to be gone already?


Any news on when OEB will be retired? It's still in service having done HND and SCL recently.

EBG was scheduled for a refurb too in mid May?


Last I heard re OEB was 2 June... but I heard that a week or so ago, and it could well have changed (several times) by now! :P
 
DanielK
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:33 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 1:01 am

VH-ZPT still remains in JetGo colours, but has had the Cobham titles painted onto both sides of the fuselage. It makes me wonder whether this aircraft is here temporarily.
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 am

TasFlyer wrote:
TN486T wrote:
SeaEagle8 wrote:
Would be nice to see HBA build a few aerobridges. I think it’s big enough (grown enough) to warrant it. Maybe 3-4?
It’s the only capital city without any not that that should be the determining factor but that would be nice for HBA.


Maybe they could put covered walkways jutting out from the terminal like MEB (Essendon) had. Sorry, no disrespect, I just couldn't resist. :spin: :spin:


The airlines have said that they not only don't want to pay the extra cost for aerobridges, but also don't want the time penalty of longer turnarounds.

With the apron moving from power-in/power-out operation to power-in/push-back operation from July, there appears to be scope for covered walkways to be installed. Ramps have also been mooted to replace the front stairs.

HBA really needs a complete rebuild, but this won't happen until at least 2030.


From memory AN and TN had pax lounges strategically placed along the covered walkways right up until the move to MEL. HBA could, as you say, use these covered walkways as a lower cost option.
 
BAeRJ100
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 4:46 am

DanielK wrote:
VH-ZPT still remains in JetGo colours, but has had the Cobham titles painted onto both sides of the fuselage. It makes me wonder whether this aircraft is here temporarily.


It's on an initial six month lease. Unlike the previous E190, this one isn't contracted to a specific client so Cobham is trying to shop it around. Staying longer and having additional frames added is dependent upon their clients biting and signing it on.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 am

Sharp exiting Portland-Warrnambool-Essendon due to economic unviability.

http://sharpairlines.com/about/news/art ... e-services
 
budgetflyer
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 8:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am

VHZNE wrote:

Could potentially be due to the weight limitations with the flight distance, it was not uncommon for them to leave all luggage behind.


A good point - I had not realised that PR were facing weight restrictions. Perhaps the conversion of some of their A321NEO’s on order to the LR version would solve these issues and allow PR to ramp up their MEL frequencies with a smaller frame.

SeaEagle8 wrote:

Or perhaps they needed to boost capacity and put premium economy back on the route.


Also something I had not considered. A quick look at Flightradar shows that PR’s three-class A330’s tend to stick to Asia-Pacific routes, and I would think that there would be few routes that PR fly that could better absorb the extra premium demand than SYD.

TasFlyer wrote:

The airlines have said that they not only don't want to pay the extra cost for aerobridges, but also don't want the time penalty of longer turnarounds.

With the apron moving from power-in/power-out operation to power-in/push-back operation from July, there appears to be scope for covered walkways to be installed. Ramps have also been mooted to replace the front stairs.

HBA really needs a complete rebuild, but this won't happen until at least 2030.


Have not flown QantasLink ex-HBA in a couple of years, but I know that they did use ramps for a time after HBA became an all-717 port for QF.

Switching to a power-in/push-back operation will increase costs, but appears to be a cheap way of balancing HBA’s need for more parking bays with the airlines’ desire for efficient and inexpensive turnarounds.

With the right-hand side of the terminal (old QF/JQ arrivals area) being expanded over the next couple of years, I wonder if the current cargo area will one day be converted into additional parking bays for commercial traffic. The taxiways and tarmac is suitable for code C (737/A320) sized aircraft as is. Would probably be close enough to the expanded terminal to mitigate the need for a walkway as well.

qf2220 wrote:
Sharp exiting Portland-Warrnambool-Essendon due to economic unviability.

http://sharpairlines.com/about/news/art ... e-services


A shame - this part of Victoria has seen airline service since Ansett first flew!

Perhaps there is an opening for REX to come in and take over services to these markets? Admittedly their aircraft are larger and harder to fill, but operating in and out of MEL as opposed to MEB would allow passengers to easily connect to places like CBR and SYD. Being a three-hour drive from the nearest major airport, and with a population of around 35,000, surely there would be enough demand to fill an S340 or two a day?
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 am

Decent article about Melbourne Airport's expansions plans in the SMH today.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-eco ... 516bx.html
NSW based avgeek
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 am

Does anyone have any further information regarding VietJet's announcement last year that they will be starting SGN-BNE this year? Almost half way through the year and still no start date or further information has come about. I go to Vietnam at least twice a year so this service would be very welcome!
✈︎
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 am

What a load of journalism crap “Melbourne tipped to overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city”.

That’s why airlines flirt with MEL and always end up serving SYD.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
EuroKick
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:07 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 3:49 am

EK413 wrote:
What a load of journalism crap “Melbourne tipped to overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city”.

That’s why airlines flirt with MEL and always end up serving SYD.

EK413


" Based on current growth rates, Melbourne will overtake Sydney as the nation's most populous city in 2026. The last time Melbourne was larger than Sydney was early last century."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5186v.html
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 3:53 am

EuroKick wrote:
EK413 wrote:
What a load of journalism crap “Melbourne tipped to overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city”.

That’s why airlines flirt with MEL and always end up serving SYD.

EK413


" Based on current growth rates, Melbourne will overtake Sydney as the nation's most populous city in 2026. The last time Melbourne was larger than Sydney was early last century."

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5186v.html


For all intents and purposes they're pretty much the same population now - not much difference. However, IMO SYD will maintain more international flights as more tourists want to go there compared to MEL.
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 4:50 am

Statistically it actually does look like Melbourne will catch up to Sydney's population.

So perhaps not really journalism crap after all.

But I agree Sydney will continue to be the busiest international gateway for years to come.

Meanwhile Sydney Airport had its AGM today. Page 14 highlights possible future routes. Marrakesh anyone?
https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190524/ ... 548ld5.pdf
NSW based avgeek
 
aryonoco
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 5:16 am

EK413 wrote:
What a load of journalism crap “Melbourne tipped to overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city”.



You do know that that's ABS's projection, and it has been their projection for over a decade now, right?

Of course I'd argue that MEL's catchment area, when it comes to international flights, is the state of Victoria and catchment areas are much more important than the population of the city. And while Melbourne itself is projected to overtake Sydney, NSW will keep its edge over Victoria. In fact Queensland is also projected to overtake Victoria to become the second most populous state.
 
IndianicWorld
Posts: 3185
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:32 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 5:42 am

aryonoco wrote:
EK413 wrote:
What a load of journalism crap “Melbourne tipped to overtake Sydney as Australia's largest city”.



You do know that that's ABS's projection, and it has been their projection for over a decade now, right?

Of course I'd argue that MEL's catchment area, when it comes to international flights, is the state of Victoria and catchment areas are much more important than the population of the city. And while Melbourne itself is projected to overtake Sydney, NSW will keep its edge over Victoria. In fact Queensland is also projected to overtake Victoria to become the second most populous state.


I still remember a time that there was talk Brisbane would overtake Melbourne to be the 2nd biggest city soon and Queensland should already be well and truly larger by now than Victoria.

At the end of the day, things happen that affect projections, but the gap between Sydney and Melbourne is very close currently.

As the home of the majority of the finance sector, particularly the international organisations, Sydney benefits greatly from higher premium travel demand. It is also still the gateway city of Australia, however a couple of the large hospitality companies are starting to focus their attentions elsewhere, and have been quite public in their reasoning for those decisions.

Melbourne has been a large focus on that attention, due to growing domestic and international demand, across all market segments (ie. Business, conventions, leisure, VFR).

I think SYD airport will likely stagnate for a few years as some traffic moves across to Badgery’s Creek in the mid 2020’s, but it will be interesting in Victoria if AVV gains traction and takes some momentum away from MEL airport. D7’s move has been a fairly sizable dent in growth figures alone, so I guess we will wait and see.
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 6:18 am

I didn't want to start a we versus they bashing but just highlighting that the article was a good overview of what's happening at Melbourne Airport.

I agree with Indianic World too that Sydney does have the advantage of a larger business community that attracts premium travel. I would think Melbourne's is growing too. I do think Sydney will continue to be the largest international gateway though.

However, looking at the latest ABS statistics for population projections. NSW will continue to be the most populous state, followed by VIC. Nothing indicates QLD will overtake VIC in this document.

But yes, projections can change all the time.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected] ... endocument
NSW based avgeek
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 6:47 am

Projections & statistics that’s all they are & Sydney will continue to be far more attractive & gateway.

The upper hand Melbourne have working in their favour would be 24 hour Ops until Badgery’s Creek is up & running.

The Airlines & tourists alike will continue travelling to Sydney as first preference.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 146
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 7:06 am

EK413 wrote:
Projections & statistics that’s all they are & Sydney will continue to be far more attractive & gateway.

The upper hand Melbourne have working in their favour would be 24 hour Ops until Badgery’s Creek is up & running.

The Airlines & tourists alike will continue travelling to Sydney as first preference.

EK413


I'm not arguing with you but you instantly dissed that article as rubbish when it is a fact that population wise Melbourne will likely become the largest city in Australia. The rest is arguable of course based on preferences and opinions. But yes I agree Sydney will definitely continue to be the #1 international gateway by far. Tourists will continue to be drawn to all regions of Australia.
NSW based avgeek
 
kriskim
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 12:00 pm

I have a question in regards to airport slots, for example; AC currently operates MEL-YVR 3-4 weekly, so is that current slot theirs for those operating days only, or is it for the entire 7 days? Can another airline utilise the slot for the days AC is not operating?
A world built upon connectivity.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 681
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 10:44 pm

kriskim wrote:
I have a question in regards to airport slots, for example; AC currently operates MEL-YVR 3-4 weekly, so is that current slot theirs for those operating days only, or is it for the entire 7 days? Can another airline utilise the slot for the days AC is not operating?


AC only has the slots for the days it operates, not for the entire week. If it wanted to fly daily, it would have to apply to ACA for the slots.
 
redroo
Posts: 491
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 11:06 pm

Oh sydney VS Melbourne discussion!

Anything that spreads the companies, jobs and wealth around the capital cities is a good thing. We’re definitely seeing Melbourne grow in this regard. More companies more flights.

If your average POM or Yank going to fly halfway across the world to visit the Yarra over the Bridge, Bondi and the Opera House. Of course not. They may tag it on or do it on a repeat visit but there will be few that make it number 1 priority.

TLDR the tourists will start in Sydney. The business traffic will fragment as P2P is always preferred for travelling business people.
 
aviationaware
Posts: 2812
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Fri May 24, 2019 11:17 pm

redroo wrote:
Oh sydney VS Melbourne discussion!

Anything that spreads the companies, jobs and wealth around the capital cities is a good thing. We’re definitely seeing Melbourne grow in this regard. More companies more flights.

If your average POM or Yank going to fly halfway across the world to visit the Yarra over the Bridge, Bondi and the Opera House. Of course not. They may tag it on or do it on a repeat visit but there will be few that make it number 1 priority.

TLDR the tourists will start in Sydney. The business traffic will fragment as P2P is always preferred for travelling business people.


You're generally right here, but Melbourne is certainly increasing in that regard as it's very attractive for young people due to better nightlife than Sydney. But overall I agree, it's more of a tag-on and will likely stay that way.
 
gpasternak
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 2:27 am

Anyone know why QF880 flown by the retro jet (VH-VXQ) diverted to BNE, made a second attempt at OOL and diverted again back to BNE today? Thanks
Next flights: MKY-BNE-MKY
 
melpax
Posts: 1895
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 am

Looks like QF29 (MEL-HKG - VH-QPF) is also returning to MEL, looks like it turned back near Alice Springs.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......
 
mh124
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 7:35 am

Have cathay dropped PER and ADL frequencies recently?
I thought they were 10x to PER and 6x to ADL but now just coming up at as 7 and 4 respectively.
 
ADL77W
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 11:39 am

mh124 wrote:
Have cathay dropped PER and ADL frequencies recently?
I thought they were 10x to PER and 6x to ADL but now just coming up at as 7 and 4 respectively.


Can't speak for Perth, but they do that every year out of Adelaide in May/June. I remember trying to book a trip to Hong Kong in June last year and they only had 2 flights for the week. They'll go straight back to 6 for July though.

They also drop an occasional frequency from Melbourne.

China Southern are doing the same, they announced 5 weekly during non-peak periods to Adelaide (they go as high as daily in peak), but recently have been doing 3 per week.
 
waoz1
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 12:09 pm

QQ/VA to Launch seasonal Melbourne - Kununurra flights in 2020

https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... 881210949z
 
dredgy
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sat May 25, 2019 12:42 pm

waoz1 wrote:
QQ/VA to Launch seasonal Melbourne - Kununurra flights in 2020

https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... 881210949z


Look forward to seeing those airfares.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 12:56 am

IASC draft decision to say no to QF/CX codeshares Aus-HKG.

https://www.iasc.gov.au/applications/fi ... 190524.pdf

Its a detailed read though overall tone is that QF/CX codeshares makes it harder for others to compete.
 
TN486T
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 2:48 am

gpasternak wrote:
Anyone know why QF880 flown by the retro jet (VH-VXQ) diverted to BNE, made a second attempt at OOL and diverted again back to BNE today? Thanks

Landed in BNE with a tech issue, then took off for OOL, stopped climb at 6000 and returned to BNE.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Sun May 26, 2019 4:03 am

dredgy wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
QQ/VA to Launch seasonal Melbourne - Kununurra flights in 2020

https://thewest.com.au/travel/air-aviat ... 881210949z


Look forward to seeing those airfares.


From the article:

The air service will be underwritten by the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley, the Kununurra tourism and business industry and the Department of Regional Development.


Also mentioned is that the aircraft type is F70 and the flight duration is four hours.
 
acinvestigator
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 3:00 am

For a research report I need the following info if anyone can help me out with details or a link.

I need a current list of which ground service providers (Menzies, Dnata, Swissport, QGS...) handle all of the different airlines at SYD, particularly for ramp, pax and cargo at SYD international. Part of the report includes a size comparison of those providers in SYD.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
 
oskarclare
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 7:07 am

acinvestigator wrote:
For a research report I need the following info if anyone can help me out with details or a link.

I need a current list of which ground service providers (Menzies, Dnata, Swissport, QGS...) handle all of the different airlines at SYD, particularly for ramp, pax and cargo at SYD international. Part of the report includes a size comparison of those providers in SYD.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers


Here's a list of ground service providers:

dnata
Menzies Aviation
John Holland Aviation Services
Q Catering
Wymap Group
Qantas Airways
Toll dnata Airport Services
OEMServices
Alpha Flight Group Ltd
Aerocare
Gate Gourmet
Cabin Services Australia
Qantas Airways MRO
AVIA Flight Services
Heston MRO
Carbridge
Universal Aviation
Executive Gourmet

Source: https://centreforaviation.com/data/prof ... irport-syd
 
kriskim
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:44 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 8:33 am

Qantas16 wrote:
kriskim wrote:
I have a question in regards to airport slots, for example; AC currently operates MEL-YVR 3-4 weekly, so is that current slot theirs for those operating days only, or is it for the entire 7 days? Can another airline utilise the slot for the days AC is not operating?


AC only has the slots for the days it operates, not for the entire week. If it wanted to fly daily, it would have to apply to ACA for the slots.


Thanks for clarifying Qantas16!
A world built upon connectivity.
 
FL420FT
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 am

Yesterday (Sunday 26th May)Qantas had two flights SYD LHR ..
QF1 and QF5 ..
QF5 (VH-OQE) which had an ETD of 2230 hours via SIN and ETD into LHR 1625LT ..
After that, it is being ferried to Dresden (DRS) ...
I'm guessing this is the first of the QF A380's for refit ?
 
dredgy
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:13 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 am

TasFlyer wrote:

The air service will be underwritten by the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley, the Kununurra tourism and business industry and the Department of Regional Development.


Also mentioned is that the aircraft type is F70 and the flight duration is four hours.


I saw that,still expecting the biggest market will be group tours to the Kimberley so standalone fares will be expensive. But if it's completely subsidized maybe not.
Kununurra and surrounds are a beautiful place so I wish them well, but would have thought Broome to be the more natural launching point to the Kimberley (though I guess nobody else is doing Kununurra).
I love oddball routes like this, but even I'm not optimistic.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5212
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2019

Mon May 27, 2019 9:45 am

oskarclare wrote:
acinvestigator wrote:
For a research report I need the following info if anyone can help me out with details or a link.

I need a current list of which ground service providers (Menzies, Dnata, Swissport, QGS...) handle all of the different airlines at SYD, particularly for ramp, pax and cargo at SYD international. Part of the report includes a size comparison of those providers in SYD.

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers


Here's a list of ground service providers:

dnata
Menzies Aviation
John Holland Aviation Services
Q Catering
Wymap Group
Qantas Airways
Toll dnata Airport Services
OEMServices
Alpha Flight Group Ltd
Aerocare
Gate Gourmet
Cabin Services Australia
Qantas Airways MRO
AVIA Flight Services
Heston MRO
Carbridge
Universal Aviation
Executive Gourmet

Source: https://centreforaviation.com/data/prof ... irport-syd


Correction below...

Q Catering - Sold to Dnata Catering 1st November 2018

Toll dnata Airport Services - Acquired by Dnata

Alpha Flight Group Ltd - Acquired by Dnata Catering

Aerocare - Acquired by Swissport

Cabin Services Australia - Originally known as Broadlex Air Services, acquired by Dnata Group Cabin Services Australia

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos