A3801000
Topic Author

Alaska earns top spot in passenger satisfaction; Southwest drops

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:46 am

Southwest Airlines loses top spot in passenger satisfaction

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S60WJ

well here we go ...
Last edited by atcsundevil on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Thread merged

hiflyeras

Alaska Airlines tops in customer satisfaction

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Despite the challenges of the acquisition and integration of VX, AS comes out #`1 in customer satisfaction according to The American Customer Satisfaction Index. Surprising and bodes well for AS in the future if they can win this award with the obstacles they've faced in the last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/n ... 618715002/

Ziyulu

Re: Alaska Airlines tops in customer satisfaction

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 pm

Really? When I last flew with them from AUS to SFO, not even a small bag of pretzels were served.

frmrCapCadet

Re: Southwest Airlines loses top spot in passenger satisfaction

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Most assessments such as this come with a proviso that scores within, say, 3 points difference are not statistically significant. I do not think that 80 and 79 reach statistical significance. It is good news that 3 airlines intending good service stand well above the rest.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:31 pm

Their evaluation is a lot more sophisticated than 'Was a snack served?' Try it.

Airline Customer Experience Benchmarks
Unique to the airline industry, the ACSI captures customer opinions about critical elements of the passenger experience, including:

Flight schedule options
Ease of reservations
Check-In process
Boarding process
On-Time arrival
Baggage handling
Loyalty programs
Gate staff courtesy and helpfulness
Flight crew courtesy and helpfulness
In-Flight entertainment
In-Flight complimentary food and beverages
In-Flight premium (purchased) food and beverages
Overhead storage
Cabin and lavatory cleanliness
Seat comfort
Quality of mobile app
Reliability of mobile app
Call center
Website

https://www.theacsi.org/industries/travel/airline

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:31 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Most assessments such as this come with a proviso that scores within, say, 3 points difference are not statistically significant. I do not think that 80 and 79 reach statistical significance. It is good news that 3 airlines intending good service stand well above the rest.

Yup. For me the bigger story is the gap between AS, B6, and WN and the rest, although there's some evidence that DL may be moving away from AA and UA and closer to the top "cluster."
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LAXBUR

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Really? When I last flew with them from AUS to SFO, not even a small bag of pretzels were served.

Guess you weren’t part of the survey. Alaska generally ranks at the top or near the top of passenger surveys. But you not getting pretzels on one flight should disqualify them.

Hilarious.

barney captain

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:03 pm

A3801000 wrote:
Southwest Airlines loses top spot in passenger satisfaction

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S60WJ

well here we go ...

Clearly the beginning of the end (again). :roll:
Southeast Of Disorder

Fex180

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:21 pm

In terms of customer satisfaction, I wonder if WN will ever implement assigned seating. I know people who don't fly WN for the soul reason that the boarding / seat selection process is stressful for them, and I've seen mild disputes break out between passengers over seating.

Babyshark

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Well congrats to all the VX employees who made Alaska the number one domestic airline on the list!

Veigar

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Fex180 wrote:
In terms of customer satisfaction, I wonder if WN will ever implement assigned seating. I know people who don't fly WN for the soul reason that the boarding / seat selection process is stressful for them, and I've seen mild disputes break out between passengers over seating.

I do not think so... I heard that their boarding process is a low cost strategy.. or something along those lines.

spinotter

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

I bet a savvy traveler like you checked the website and knew that only drinks were served for free, right? You did pay that fare class.

atcsundevil

Re: Alaska earns top spot in passenger satisfaction; Southwest drops

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:00 pm

Perhaps against my better judgement, I've merged the two threads (one for Southwest, the other for Alaska) since it's regarding the same survey.

Please keep things civil — there's no need for personal comments or attacks.

✈️ atcsundevil

Ziyulu

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:12 pm

spinotter wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

I bet a savvy traveler like you checked the website and knew that only drinks were served for free, right? You did pay that fare class.

Understand that. But other airlines like United and Delta serve snacks, so it makes me wonder how AS earned its top spot.

spinotter

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:13 pm

Fex180 wrote:

I like reasons of the soul. I also like WN because of its boarding process. All these people with their talk of cattle class and "never will I subject myself to being lined up in the B group." Get real, people. Life has a lot worse than WN boarding in store for you. Are you all that special? I have always been treated like a human being on WN. Always. Can't say that about any other airline, but I haven't flown all of them. Still - if I have a choice, I fly WN.

spinotter

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:17 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Understand that. But other airlines like United and Delta serve snacks, so it makes me wonder how AS earned its top spot.

Because the criteria in the survey placed little to no importance on your bag of pretzels in comparison with all the other items on the list you saw. United and Delta are US3 airlines, and that carries its own burden that makes it impossible for UA and DL to offer the same service as AS.

LAXBUR

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:28 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Obviously a conspiracy. I mean how could your ONE flight without a snack not disqualify a whole airline and everyone else’s experience?

toobz

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:32 pm

AS is a niche carrier compared to the majors. It’s a no frills airline but the staff have that PNW charm and friendliness. I can see how they are at the top.

Revelation

Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:57 pm

Maybe WN should consider flying smaller, more cramped planes ( viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1421005 ), maybe not.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Super80Fan

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Babyshark wrote:
Well congrats to all the VX employees who made Alaska the number one domestic airline on the list!

I agree.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

usdcaguy

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm

toobz wrote:
AS is a niche carrier compared to the majors. It’s a no frills airline but the staff have that PNW charm and friendliness. I can see how they are at the top.

"PNW charm and friendliness" reminds me of the friendliness of the Northwest flight attendants that I used to experience years ago. It was always nice to leave the South and deal with people from the upper Midwest.

wingman

Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Hmm, drink but no pretzels served with a genuine smile or drink AND nine mini pretzels served with barely concealed rage and the threat of physical violence? I'll take AS for $100!

F9Animal

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:04 pm

I love Alaska now. They are really doing a good job. But, Southwest still has my LUV. Just the 2 free checked bags are the difference when shopping fares.
I Am A Different Animal!!

rajincajun01

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
spinotter wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Either the original poster is mistaken or something happened outside of AS control on this flight. AS at a minimum serves Biscoff cookies on this route. You can also pre-order food via their app. On AUS-SFO specifically, there are two scheduled cabin services.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

rajincajun01

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Babyshark wrote:

I agree.

Yea because Legacy VX employees have been part of AS the last 11 years they’ve won JD Power Awards. :roll:

Every employee helped Alaska win this. VX has been gone for over a year. Move on. If you’re a AS employee you have the power to leave and go work for another airline if you’re that bitter.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

Ziyulu

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:49 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
spinotter wrote:

Either the original poster is mistaken or something happened outside of AS control on this flight. AS at a minimum serves Biscoff cookies on this route. You can also pre-order food via their app. On AUS-SFO specifically, there are two scheduled cabin services.

Nope, no snacks were served. And there was only one drink service. And no, I did not fall asleep; I was awake the whole time.

rajincajun01

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Nope, no snacks were served. And there was only one drink service. And no, I did not fall asleep; I was awake the whole time.

Then something likely happened to prevent the service. Alaska now double caters AUS routes at their origin station because of the frequent catering issues they had in AUS.

madpropsyo

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:28 pm

This site is hilarious... Instead of discussing the subject at hand we've got nearly 20 posts debating some guy's forgotten 1oz snack.

LAXBUR

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Give it a rest. I’m pretty sure you’ve mentioned this before in other threads. The point isn’t whether it happened, the point is that it is an insignificant issue and not typical.

freakyrat

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Just flew Delta from DFW to ATL and we had a variety of snacks available in economy. Almonds, Biscoff Cookies, or Cheese Crackers etc.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:00 pm

freakyrat wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Just flew Delta from DFW to ATL and we had a variety of snacks available in economy. Almonds, Biscoff Cookies, or Cheese Crackers etc.

Do you want a brownie button or something? What does this have to do with anything?
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Ziyulu

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:07 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Give it a rest. I’m pretty sure you’ve mentioned this before in other threads. The point isn’t whether it happened, the point is that it is an insignificant issue and not typical.

Remember, it's the small things that matter when it comes to airline service. Start stripping the small items, you end up being a LCC.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:20 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Remember, it's the small things that matter when it comes to airline service. Start stripping the small items, you end up being a LCC.

Yes, except multiple people have replied to your "I didn't get my pretzels" comment with the fact that 1) the route had catering issues so are now double catering on the SFO-AUS leg; and 2) the route is scheduled for two services during the flight. We can all list bad experiences that we've had on most airlines but if you choose to believe that your experience is the norm on AS, there's nothing anyone can do about it.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

LAXBUR

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

It is clear you have an agenda or have serious comprehension issues. You’re looking like a fool here after others have noted this was an irregularity. Numerous consumer surveys show you’re “incident” isn’t the norm. You don’t like Alaska? Fine. But lost luggage, delayed flights, or rude customer service are a better story than you didn’t get pretzels. If that’s their flaw then no wonder they’re at the top.

QXAS

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:50 pm

I must say I’ve been impressed by WN every time I’ve flown with them. For all the trash they get on this site they do a great job, pay $15 extra for early bird and you’re good to go.

The new AS boarding system drives me crazy. I don’t like boarding groups and much prefer just boarding by row from the back of the plane forward. I see it as a case of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. There was nothing apparently wrong with the previous system, but boarding was made more complicated anyway.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 pm

The data point that I'm most impressed by is that United had the largest YOY improvement (+4).

Yes, they are still ranked last but that isn't a surprise in a public survey based methodology due to name recognition and preconceived opinions of who/what United are. However, to move so much in one year, especially compared to AA (-1) and Delta (+1) shows that passengers are finally starting to see the immmense changes that have taken place at United, and realise that United in 2018/19 is a far cry from the United of 2012 or even 2016 for that matter.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

9Patch

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:25 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

I get a Lotus Biscof cookie on EVERY flight.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Southwest had too many flight cancellations to keep #1. The engine issues and now MAX being unsafe to be flown.

I bet Southwest comes back to the top as soon as their schedule can be restored.

LAXdenizen

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:56 pm

While I always defer to WN for all domestic travel, i will give AS my priority in the near term. Congratulations to the employees!

NamGunner

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:01 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

Well said, a 1 point difference is a virtual tie.
----------------------------
'Gunner

lightsaber

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Yup. For me the bigger story is the gap between AS, B6, and WN and the rest, although there's some evidence that DL may be moving away from AA and UA and closer to the top "cluster."

That was a horrible link that I did not enjoy reading.

Group1:
1. AS 80
2 (tie) B6 79
2 (tie). WN 79

Group 2
4. DL 75
5. AA 73
6. UA 70

+/-3 is equivalent in my opinion.

So one group above the majors. Meh...
In a year, DL could move to group 1.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm

QXAS wrote:
I must say I’ve been impressed by WN every time I’ve flown with them. For all the trash they get on this site they do a great job, pay $15 extra for early bird and you’re good to go.

The new AS boarding system drives me crazy. I don’t like boarding groups and much prefer just boarding by row from the back of the plane forward. I see it as a case of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. There was nothing apparently wrong with the previous system, but boarding was made more complicated anyway.

I agree. I rarely have bad experiences on WN. I like having a different option. I also think that their somewhat simplified approach with few frills keeps expectations in check and reduces the chances of disappointing the customer. You seldom get the “They gave my seat to somebody else!” complaint. :-)
-Dave

OB1504

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Fex180 wrote:

And for many more passengers, Southwest's boarding process and open seating policy is what keeps them flying with Southwest. Compare it to the majors where the good seats are all taken a month in advance unless you're willing to pay more.

LAXBUR

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:56 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
QXAS wrote:

I agree. I rarely have bad experiences on WN. I like having a different option. I also think that their somewhat simplified approach with few frills keeps expectations in check and reduces the chances of disappointing the customer. You seldom get the “They gave my seat to somebody else!” complaint. :-)

Exactly. Assigned seating can cause just as many delays or problems. I don’t travel with Southwest often because I prefer the perks of being a frequent flyer on legacy airlines. But both seating schemes have their pros and cons. Back when I worked customer service I had to move a few people on a lightly filled 734 and one women told me I was an “awful person”, “hateful”, and “will certainly be fired” for moving her from her assigned seat on an hour long flight.

hiflyeras

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:22 pm

I think it's AS's portfolio of mileage partners that push it ahead of WN and B6. I have my issues with premium seat availability using AS miles but if you're not insistent on a big seat you can get pretty much anywhere in the world using AS mileage redemption.

altbg

Wed May 01, 2019 12:54 am

After just having flown AS this past weekend I can definitely see how they earned that score. Both flights had great service and very friendly and attentive flight attendants. Flights left on time/early and made it to the destination ahead of schedule. Free texting over WiFi is definitely a nice little perk and the food and drink selection was decent. Checked bags made it to the carousel almost at the same time that I arrived in baggage claim. Flying out of smaller airports like SJC and DAL helps in this regard, of course. And the E175 is also a nice plane, so no complaints there either. All of my trips on AS so far have been great. Can't say the same about UA or WN unfortunately.

PA727

Wed May 01, 2019 1:30 am

Wish I had occasion to fly AS more. But the times I have, they’ve been great. I’m in the middle of relocating from Northwest Arkansas to San Antonio, and as a result, have been flying WN a great deal between TUL-SAT. Have always loved flying them, and now am flying them much more.

Personally, I love the boarding process, very orderly and sane. With paid upgrades, should you choose. The only nit I would pick is being a little more strict on pre-boards. It’s like a parade these days. You’d think there were miracles being performed on the jet bridge. They’re confused, ailing or infirm going down the ramp, but once onboard, they’re healed!!! :)

stl07

Wed May 01, 2019 1:59 am

LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

It is clear you have an agenda or have serious comprehension issues. You’re looking like a fool here after others have noted this was an irregularity. Numerous consumer surveys show you’re “incident” isn’t the norm. You don’t like Alaska? Fine. But lost luggage, delayed flights, or rude customer service are a better story than you didn’t get pretzels. If that’s their flaw then no wonder they’re at the top.

Settle down, everyone. Nobody has an "agenda" over a stupid bag of snacks. It is sometimes frustrating to pay double of an LCC and get similar service. He expressed his opinion, you all refuted him. Now take it easy
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 01, 2019 2:55 am

stl07 wrote:
Nobody has an "agenda" over a stupid bag of snacks.

You’d be surprised.
-Dave

speedbird52

Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 am

usdcaguy wrote:
toobz wrote:

"PNW charm and friendliness" reminds me of the friendliness of the Northwest flight attendants that I used to experience years ago. It was always nice to leave the South and deal with people from the upper Midwest.

Pacific Northwesterners are known for being friendly and Southerners are angry?? What? I have lived in Seattle all my life and we are known for being as cold as ice

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos