PlanesNTrains

Re: Alaska earns top spot in passenger satisfaction; Southwest drops

Wed May 01, 2019 3:30 am

speedbird52 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:
toobz wrote:
AS is a niche carrier compared to the majors. It’s a no frills airline but the staff have that PNW charm and friendliness. I can see how they are at the top.

"PNW charm and friendliness" reminds me of the friendliness of the Northwest flight attendants that I used to experience years ago. It was always nice to leave the South and deal with people from the upper Midwest.

Pacific Northwesterners are known for being friendly and Southerners are angry?? What? I have lived in Seattle all my life and we are known for being as cold as ice

We aren’t cold, we’re introverts.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

red66mustang

Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

"PNW charm and friendliness" reminds me of the friendliness of the Northwest flight attendants that I used to experience years ago. It was always nice to leave the South and deal with people from the upper Midwest.

Pacific Northwesterners are known for being friendly and Southerners are angry?? What? I have lived in Seattle all my life and we are known for being as cold as ice

The Seattle Freeze is a very real thing.

EA CO AS

Wed May 01, 2019 3:54 am

PA727 wrote:
The only nit I would pick is being a little more strict on pre-boards. It’s like a parade these days. You’d think there were miracles being performed on the jet bridge. They’re confused, ailing or infirm going down the ramp, but once onboard, they’re healed!!! :)

What does "more strict" look like, exactly? Under the law, you cannot ask someone what their disability is; only how you can best help them with it. Anyone who says they need that extra time can preboard can do so and there's not a single thing the airline can do to stop it. Nor should they.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXBUR

Re: Alaska Airlines tops in customer satisfaction

Wed May 01, 2019 4:22 am

stl07 wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Remember, it's the small things that matter when it comes to airline service. Start stripping the small items, you end up being a LCC.

It is clear you have an agenda or have serious comprehension issues. You’re looking like a fool here after others have noted this was an irregularity. Numerous consumer surveys show you’re “incident” isn’t the norm. You don’t like Alaska? Fine. But lost luggage, delayed flights, or rude customer service are a better story than you didn’t get pretzels. If that’s their flaw then no wonder they’re at the top.

Settle down, everyone. Nobody has an "agenda" over a stupid bag of snacks. It is sometimes frustrating to pay double of an LCC and get similar service. He expressed his opinion, you all refuted him. Now take it easy

An opinion that isn’t based in logic. A lot of folks on here take one silly experience and run with it. This is laughable. They seriously are questioning a survey of many because of one flight without pretzels. Not giving this person a pass. They’ve mentioned this at least once before. Should a restaurant lose their Michelin rating because the server didn’t ask one patron out of thousands if they wanted flat or sparkling water? Yeah...

speedbird52

Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 am

red66mustang wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

The Seattle Freeze is a very real thing.

Everyone except Seattalites knows it. Funny enough I was born here, and I notice it acutely, but my parents moved here, and they never realized it existed until other people pointed it out. I was shocked when I realized that there are places in this country where you can just make conversation with people.

jfern022

Wed May 01, 2019 6:29 am

usdcaguy wrote:
toobz wrote:
AS is a niche carrier compared to the majors. It’s a no frills airline but the staff have that PNW charm and friendliness. I can see how they are at the top.

I don't think anyone has ever used friendly and NW in the same sentence.

domokun

Wed May 01, 2019 7:37 am

Babyshark wrote:
Well congrats to all the VX employees who made Alaska the number one domestic airline on the list!

I dunno. I fly AS about weekly and it's usually easy to spot the AS vs VX employees in the cabin. The VX ones are usually a lot less pleasant.

alfa164

Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Either the original poster is mistaken or something happened outside of AS control on this flight. AS at a minimum serves Biscoff cookies on this route. You can also pre-order food via their app. On AUS-SFO specifically, there are two scheduled cabin services.

Nope, no snacks were served. And there was only one drink service. And no, I did not fall asleep; I was awake the whole time.

Then something likely happened to prevent the service. Alaska now double caters AUS routes at their origin station because of the frequent catering issues they had in AUS.

That undoubtedly explains - and verifies - the complaints you saw here. Good to know AS did something about it.

LAXBUR wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Either the original poster is mistaken or something happened outside of AS control on this flight. AS at a minimum serves Biscoff cookies on this route. You can also pre-order food via their app. On AUS-SFO specifically, there are two scheduled cabin services.

Nope, no snacks were served. And there was only one drink service. And no, I did not fall asleep; I was awake the whole time.

Give it a rest. I’m pretty sure you’ve mentioned this before in other threads. The point isn’t whether it happened, the point is that it is an insignificant issue and not typical.

LAXBUR wrote:
It is clear you have an agenda or have serious comprehension issues. You’re looking like a fool here after others have noted this was an irregularity. Numerous consumer surveys show you’re “incident” isn’t the norm. You don’t like Alaska? Fine. But lost luggage, delayed flights, or rude customer service are a better story than you didn’t get pretzels. If that’s their flaw then no wonder they’re at the top.

Maybe it is insignificant to you, but to the poster - a paying passenger - it was important enough to t=remember an mention. A service failure is not a "comprehension issue" and, while it may not be the norm, it did affect someone's opinion of AS. It is good that AS (presumably) recognized the problem and fixed it; it is bad that AS employees want to blame the messenger and denigrate the passenger who mentioned it. Telling him/her to "Give it a rest" signifies an attitude that could move AS back down the list in satisfied flyers.

jfern022 wrote:

:checkmark: Now it remains to be seen whether their charm and friendliness can continue to keep them at the top, as they pursue bigger dreams. If some of the AS posters here are any indication, they seem to be getting more defensive and less charming and less friendly as they feel the heat of expansion.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

freakyrat

Re: Southwest Airlines loses top spot in passenger satisfaction

Wed May 01, 2019 10:33 am

Cubsrule wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Most assessments such as this come with a proviso that scores within, say, 3 points difference are not statistically significant. I do not think that 80 and 79 reach statistical significance. It is good news that 3 airlines intending good service stand well above the rest.

Yup. For me the bigger story is the gap between AS, B6, and WN and the rest, although there's some evidence that DL may be moving away from AA and UA and closer to the top "cluster."

Just flew DL between DFW and ATL and back. First off the cabin on the Airbus A320 is more spacious than the Boeing 737. DL's unique interior with the 777 style overhead bins makes for convenience. DL also offers a greater variety of snacks. So I can see that they are moving ahead of AA and UA.

CobaltScar

Wed May 01, 2019 11:58 am

If not for abysmal ontime performance , B6 would of been at the top of the list by multiple points. Those of you saying you are impressed with free texting and pretzels on Alaska, try B6. Its like night and day.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 01, 2019 2:28 pm

alfa164 wrote:
:checkmark: Now it remains to be seen whether their charm and friendliness can continue to keep them at the top, as they pursue bigger dreams. If some of the AS posters here are any indication, they seem to be getting more defensive and less charming and less friendly as they feel the heat of expansion.

In fairness to AS, I don't think most people posting here are their employees. I think what you are seeing is actually a bit of pushback towards one poster with a bit more history than this thread.

CobaltScar wrote:
If not for abysmal ontime performance , B6 would of been at the top of the list by multiple points. Those of you saying you are impressed with free texting and pretzels on Alaska, try B6. Its like night and day.

Where to start...

"Can somebody get this guy a participation trophy please?"

"WN also struggled with OT performance - how's it feel to have WN be every bit as good as you after all the efforts you've made?"

"Ya, and if my grandma had testacles...."

"The jealousy is strong with this one..."

Seriously, who said B6 isn't a great airline? Can we all agree, though, that these are all still just airlines? When you are arguing over what you got as your snack - Cheese-it's or Biscoffs - you know you've lost the plot.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jetblueguy22

Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm

I love WN and I’m loyal to them, but my satisfaction has dropped recently due to cancelled flights. I’ll go back to loving them once they can get their planes back in the air and run an on time schedule
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

spinotter

Wed May 01, 2019 3:52 pm

madpropsyo wrote:
This site is hilarious... Instead of discussing the subject at hand we've got nearly 20 posts debating some guy's forgotten 1oz snack.

And this shows how shallow people's judgments about their preferred airlines can be.

fanoftristars

Wed May 01, 2019 4:31 pm

QXAS wrote:
I must say I’ve been impressed by WN every time I’ve flown with them. For all the trash they get on this site they do a great job, pay $15 extra for early bird and you’re good to go.

Rarely do I see Early Bird for $15 anymore... It's usually $20 or $25 now.

PA727 wrote:
The only nit I would pick is being a little more strict on pre-boards. It’s like a parade these days. You’d think there were miracles being performed on the jet bridge. They’re confused, ailing or infirm going down the ramp, but once onboard, they’re healed!!! :)

I think I counted 17 wheelchairs on my DAL-LAS flight the other day - with their boarding companions over 30 people were on our plane before A1 was even called. I noticed almost all walked right off the plane in Las Vegas.

Having moved from a Delta Hub to Dallas - I've flown WN quite a bit more and have achieved A-List. Here are some things Southwest is missing that Delta has:
No Comfort Plus with guaranteed free drinks
No First Class upgrades, or even paid First Class seats
No Same Day Confirmed for Free
Cannot be added to the standby list unless you're at the airport
Phone agents have no data on standby lists or loads (and aren't willing to share even a slight hint)
No electrical plugs or USB chargers on board
An on-time rate that is noticeably below Delta's on the routes I fly
No confirmed changes to an earlier flight if your flight is running late, unless over 60 min
No guaranteed boarding zone, could be as far as the B Group even with A List
No PTVs on any plane
Limited international destinations
No variety of aircraft
No partners for Interlining, No alliance to give additional options
No high speed streaming satellite WiFi

Things I can appreciate about Southwest
Very few cranky employees - they all seem hopelessly friendly
They treat all their passengers well - not just elites. While DL is good, I give WN the edge here
Lots of non-stops from Love Field
No change fees - just fare difference
Love Field is a fantastic little airport > DFW
Companion status is awesome - got it from the credit card this year.
WiFi is cheap on WN - $8
Is there anything I'm missing that WN > DL for elites? I know there are more benefits for non-elites, many discussed above. I guess A List+ gets free internet.

I've only flown AS and B6 a number of times and each experience was great - but their size and network pales in comparison to WN/DL and I'm not so sure it's fair to compare directly.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed May 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Fex180 wrote:
In terms of customer satisfaction, I wonder if WN will ever implement assigned seating. I know people who don't fly WN for the soul reason that the boarding / seat selection process is stressful for them, and I've seen mild disputes break out between passengers over seating.

I doubt it - Southwest's ancillary revenue doesn't come from baggage fees like other airlines, it comes from "Early Bird Boarding". Wanna get in that A group? It'll cost you. And although not as much as a checked bag, it is something a lot of people choose for the simple convenience of not trying to check-in EXACTLY 24 hours before.

For me personally, though, the main reason to choose Southwest first is the no-change fee. With everyone else, you're out of luck, as the change fee has been more than the ticket more than once in my life. But Southwest? "Sure thing! Thank you for letting us know - and we'll keep your credit safe for up to a year!"

As far as customer satisfaction goes, we've all had great flights and we've all had bad flights. Anything can happen, both within and outside of the airline's control. How did the airline deal with it? Sometimes they - meaning ALL airlines - get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

CobaltScar

Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 pm

PA727 wrote:

This will go the way of the emotional support animal scam. Eventually every passenger will just board at the same time when they announce that pre board group.

How does WN do it? Can you claim your disabled or need more time and board (and grab your preferred seat) before everyone else without paying any sort of upgrade fee? I can only imagine how that goes at certain stations.

People already run the racket that involves not choosing a seat themselves in hopes of getting auto assigned a premium seat because that is all that is left at that point. The coarsening of society, at least in some regions and stations.

IPFreely

Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 pm

1. AS 80
2 (tie) B6 79
2 (tie). WN 79

4. DL 75
5. AA 73
6. UA 70

I think 1-3 are virtually tied and could exchange places every year. I think 4-6 are also virtually tied and could exchange places every year. But their is clearly a top tier and a bottom tier, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Why not, you ask? Think about what the airlines in each tier have in common:

Top tier — two of the three airlines operate all their own flights and the third has one small wholly-owned regional airline.

Bottom tier — a large percentage of their domestic flights are operated by low cost low performing 3rd party regional airlines.

Until this survey comes with the infamous “mainline only” asterisk, Alaska, Southwest, and JetBlue will continue to win.

red66mustang

Wed May 01, 2019 6:43 pm

IPFreely wrote:
1. AS 80

Top tier — two of the three airlines operate all their own flights and the third has one small wholly-owned regional airline.

Don't forget that AS has OO flying a decent amount of flights as well. Granted OO is probably one of the best of the 3rd party regionals

Chemist

Wed May 01, 2019 6:54 pm

OB1504 wrote:
Fex180 wrote:
In terms of customer satisfaction, I wonder if WN will ever implement assigned seating. I know people who don't fly WN for the soul reason that the boarding / seat selection process is stressful for them, and I've seen mild disputes break out between passengers over seating.

And for many more passengers, Southwest's boarding process and open seating policy is what keeps them flying with Southwest. Compare it to the majors where the good seats are all taken a month in advance unless you're willing to pay more.

Do you have data on that, or are you making it up?
I actually prefer WN's boarding, there aren't hordes of people cramming the gate.

IPFreely

Wed May 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Chemist wrote:
Do you have data on that, or are you making it up?
I actually prefer WN's boarding, there aren't hordes of people cramming the gate.

There are a few posters on here who repeatedly make pretentious posts about how they are too good for Southwest’s lack of assigned seating, thus they refuse to fly Southwest.

But Southwest carries more domestic passengers than any other airline. Which is pretty good data saying that people like or at least accept their seating and boarding process.

Austin787

Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 pm

IPFreely wrote:
1. AS 80
2 (tie) B6 79
2 (tie). WN 79

4. DL 75
5. AA 73
6. UA 70

I think 1-3 are virtually tied and could exchange places every year. I think 4-6 are also virtually tied and could exchange places every year. But their is clearly a top tier and a bottom tier, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Why not, you ask? Think about what the airlines in each tier have in common:

Bottom tier — a large percentage of their domestic flights are operated by low cost low performing 3rd party regional airlines.

Until this survey comes with the infamous “mainline only” asterisk, Alaska, Southwest, and JetBlue will continue to win.

Also the airlines the top tier have simplified fleets with few configurations. Which helps in operations and logistics.

While the airlines in the bottom tier have much more diverse fleets with many aircraft types and configurations. I remember AA mentioned about reducing the number of aircraft configurations to around 30 - which would still be more than than the top tier airlines combined.

PlanesNTrains

Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 pm

Austin787 wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
1. AS 80
2 (tie) B6 79
2 (tie). WN 79

4. DL 75
5. AA 73
6. UA 70

Also the airlines the top tier have simplified fleets with few configurations. Which helps in operations and logistics.

While the airlines in the bottom tier have much more diverse fleets with many aircraft types and configurations. I remember AA mentioned about reducing the number of aircraft configurations to around 30 - which would still be more than than the top tier airlines combined.

What I like about the top three is that they each offer something different from the other. WN is your LCC. AS is your legacy. B6 is your upscale domestic. Plenty of options to keep people happy. And yes, a lot of it is managing expectations and having somewhat simplified operations. That's not to take anything away from the legacies, who offer an entirely different scale and type of operation. Frankly, they're all in a narrow 10 point band so it's not like one is perfect and the other is a nightmare.
-Dave

CobaltScar

Wed May 01, 2019 10:47 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
B6 is your upscale domestic.

At a LCC price point. And soon upscale to London at a LCC price point.

Which is why I said they'd take the cake if not for their crime of running the operation way too hot.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 am

CobaltScar wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
B6 is your upscale domestic.

At a LCC price point. And soon upscale to London at a LCC price point.

Which is why I said they'd take the cake if not for their crime of running the operation way too hot.

So you think that literally the only reason that B6 could possibly tie with WN is on-time performance - when WN has suffered from on-time performance as well? Asking for a friend.
-Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos