aldrigsomandre

Re: Turkish Aviation May 2019

Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Well last time i was staying at Sirkeci and took metro to Zeytinburnu and then Ataturk..Now is there a way to save time by going up to a point with the metro or tram and then bus to new airport?

Closest would be a bus to Eminonu. There's a dodgy bus "terminal" downstairs after the arrivals exit.

Schedule:

http://www.hava.ist/en/new-timetables/20

aldrigsomandre

Fri May 10, 2019 1:17 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
Any helicopter service from the new airport to Taksim/Kadıköy?

(In other words, I'm also curious about when the direct train will be completed)

They say 2020 for the first underground rail line.

MCTSET

Fri May 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Guys I have a question about TK. I know that they have the 787 on order but do you guys think there is any possibility that TK acquire some 330neos. Maybe if they got offered a good deal or is there no chance. I judging because this carrier has 55 330s in service it’s their bread and butter for long haul maybe they are partial to the 330s but at the right price ;)

ist2014

Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

If economy goes well in Turkey, TK can lease or buy some 330neo to replace aging 332s, they are always open to

sweet deals, but same applies for additional 787s and 350s, but i am not sure about demand in the next years

MCTSET

Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm

ist2014 wrote:
If economy goes well in Turkey, TK can lease or buy some 330neo to replace aging 332s, they are always open to

sweet deals, but same applies for additional 787s and 350s, but i am not sure about demand in the next years

Demand for what. TK flights/connections or overall global aviation market.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 5:16 pm

Finally, after all these years I took an Anadolujet flight. It was just fine, not a whole lot of different from TK mainline.
Lucky me, the plane was TC-JFK, 20.1 yrs old 738.
Did not realize that Ajet have a lot of these 20 year old birds. Any idea on how long we might see them in service?
Also DLM new terminal was a mess outside with only 3 NB jets on tarmac. Pax pickup area seems very limited and without any kind of control busy with all kinds of vehicles and not enough parking space.

mafaky

Sat May 11, 2019 7:36 pm

If you mean that there may be some direct (express) underground rail system connecting one city-center (named Zincirlikuyu) and the New Airport, there will be no such express service, very likely. All trains, will stop at intermediate stations.

In any case, the services between Zincirlikuyu and the New Airport may more likely start by mid-to end 2021 , rather than 2020, as the underground station will be a more complex structure. The service between the second station on the line (namely Kağıthane) and the New Airport may possibly start by mid to end 2020, depending on how fast they can complete the overall construction of the line, including the "perfected signalisation". However, even when things get totally finished they can start passenger carrying services only after a 6-9 months' testing and orientation period. This will be a "driverless metro" line so the testing and certification takes significantly longer! This may take the above dates further by that duration of time. Similarly the actual opening of the first station (Zincirlikuyu) may also get delayed.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

aldrigsomandre

Sat May 11, 2019 7:54 pm

mafaky wrote:

If you mean that there may be some direct (express) underground rail system connecting one city-center (named Zincirlikuyu) and the New Airport, there will be no such express service, very likely. All trains, will stop at intermediate stations.

In any case, the services between Zincirlikuyu and the New Airport may more likely start by mid-to end 2021 , rather than 2020, as the underground station will be a more complex structure. The service between the second station on the line (namely Kağıthane) and the New Airport may possibly start by mid to end 2020, depending on how fast they can complete the overall construction of the line, including the "perfected signalisation". However, even when things get totally finished they can start passenger carrying services only after a 6-9 months' testing and orientation period. This will be a "driverless metro" line so the testing and certification takes significantly longer! This may take the above dates further by that duration of time. Similarly the actual opening of the first station (Zincirlikuyu) may also get delayed.

I feel that it might be better if you use the quote function with the username quoted, to give people a chance to reply as when quoted with the name, we get notifications.

The Metro Istanbul website has the year 2020 for the opening of the new line, M11, which is what I based my reply on. My Turkish is rather limited, as such, I can only quote the official metro website, which has a dodgy English version.

AirbusA343

Sat May 11, 2019 8:59 pm

TC-LSG, TK's 6th A321neo has been delivered today from Hamburg.

mafaky

Sun May 12, 2019 5:34 am

aldrigsomandre wrote:
mafaky wrote:
The Metro Istanbul website has the year 2020 for the opening of the new line, M11, which is what I based my reply on. My Turkish is rather limited, as such, I can only quote the official metro website, which has a dodgy English version.

True, but the practical fact is that you cannot (should not) sites like Metro İstanbul, in full. That particular website is well known by the Turkish, for twisting the facts. First of all, it's not the İstanbul Municipality which is funding and building the M11 line: it's the Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure. İstanbul Transportation, of which Metro Istanbul is a part, will be operating the line. Second, they put those dates as a "gutfeel". If you look into the contract, the finishing date has to be some time in December 2019 -- which is totally impossible. And finally: they have the habit of quoting the opening date as the date when the construction is (or looks as if...) finished: but this will never be the date when that particular line will be opened for the public service (i.e. carrying passengers). In this case, M11 needs to undergo a minimum 6 to 9 months testing, orientation and certification period before it starts carrying passengers around (this takes longer as it's going to be a "driverless metro line").
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

mafaky

Sun May 12, 2019 5:41 am

TK787 wrote:
Finally, after all these years I took an Anadolujet flight. It was just fine, not a whole lot of different from TK mainline.
Lucky me, the plane was TC-JFK, 20.1 yrs old 738.
Did not realize that Ajet have a lot of these 20 year old birds. Any idea on how long we might see them in service?

Well TK still has some 24 (or maybe 25) of those pretty much aging birds in its fleet. Some (I guess 8) of them are flying under TK livery (old style 3-3 business cabin with center seat blocked...), and rest under Jet (single class, all economy cabin). All were eventually re-fitted with winglets, after they were taken delivery. They are all owned by TK, at the time so they can be sold over to a new party simply with an invoice. I guess, TK will use them until they are all 22 years old and will retire them under AJet livery (sooner or later) but it's hard to tell where their next destination will be: the boneyard or some other yet unpredicatble user like those four vintage 343s left for.???

bgm

Sun May 12, 2019 6:14 am

████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

LAXintl

Sun May 12, 2019 6:45 am

bgm wrote:

Totally expected. TK broke off its relations with Skytrax consulting so to ones shock the carriers ranking changes.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SCQ83

Sun May 12, 2019 7:25 am

gokmengs wrote:
If EU majors were smart they would add frequencies at SAW, most people that favored IST over SAW are flying from SAW instead of IST.

But EU majors have little presence in the Istanbul market, in a big part because of TK's dominance. Carriers like Iberia or Swiss have completely left the Istanbul market in recent years. For European carriers Istanbul is a marginal market at best.

I doubt there is a case for any Euro carrier to split operations between the two airports.

canmau

Sun May 12, 2019 8:30 am

Wow...Skytrax really is a huge joke. Sad that they're taken as the main source for ratings

HeyTK

Sun May 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Even Josh Cahill a german youtuber who is chosen best airline channel in 2018 who tries different airlines to fly around the world said this after his recent trip with TK from Beijing: "They are without any doubt Europe's Best Airline. (great consistency). Its actually a disgrace of Skytrax also known as Scamtrax to name Lufthanse Europe's Best... seriously? My LH flights are constantly lame, rude and the food... oh dont even get me started.."

I trust his review more than a bought, inconsistent, subjective rating company like scamtrax.

HeyTK

Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 pm

A TK Captain flying on TK1675, May 10 witnessed a shining object in the sky, saying "Ive never seen something flying so fast.". The First Officer and Purser also witnessed it.
Here is the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifrny-4g2x0

Source: kokpit.aero
Last edited by HeyTK on Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aldrigsomandre

Sun May 12, 2019 2:08 pm

canmau wrote:
Wow...Skytrax really is a huge joke. Sad that they're taken as the main source for ratings

Isn't it well known that they rate airlines according to the money that they receive from them? TK had ended their consultation agreement with them a while back.

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 13, 2019 3:54 pm

Checking into my flight for tomorrow and looking at the seat map on a A330-300, row 4 middle two seats, one is missing. Not full, empty, available or not, it is not there at all. Row 4 is shown as 2-1-2.....Strange !!!

canmau

Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 pm

aldrigsomandre wrote:
canmau wrote:

Isn't it well known that they rate airlines according to the money that they receive from them? TK had ended their consultation agreement with them a while back.

Probably in the aviation community, but when Turkish Airlines was the "Best Airline of Europe" according to Skytrax, it was plastered everywhere, I doubt most passengers question it much.

Jetty

Mon May 13, 2019 4:32 pm

canmau wrote:

TK can't really complain: when they were still paying for their awards it was as much a joke as it is now and TK had no problem at all marketing their bought awards.

Skytrax, the acknowledged name associated with air travel excellence in 21st century by providing unique products to the global aviation industry through professional Audit and Service Benchmarking programs for airlines, airline alliances, airports and related air transport product and service suppliers across the globe, has released its latest ratings. With no outside sponsorship, advertising or influence, it is the most respected global airline passenger survey firm in the industry. This year’s awards were based on the results of over 18 million passenger surveys, with more than 105 nationalities participating and covering 245 airlines. Turkish Airlines has scored a resounding success in the 2014 Skytrax World Airline Awards, with air travellers once again recognizing the airline as the "Best Airline in Europe", for the fourth year running.
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/p ... index.html

Thus, an acknowledged name associated with air travel excellence in 21st century according to TK when it suited them. :lol:

MoonC

Mon May 13, 2019 4:53 pm

The first 787-9 of Turkish Airlines has been spotted.

Photo is embedded in the following (Turkish only) article: http://www.goklerdeyiz.net/ozel-haber-turk-hava-yollarinin-ilk-boeing-787-dreamlineri-hazirlaniyor/

TK787
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 am

That's a beauty :)
Also from ANKER report:
-Capacity on flights to Turkey is up a massive 20%, driven by leisure demand to popular resorts along the Mediterranean. Dalaman capacity is up 22%, Antalya is up 26%, Bodrum 30% and Izmir a massive 69%. But overall 5.3% pax drop across all airports in Turkey.
-From TK's magazine; "You can fly direct from Ankara to Berlin, FRA, JED, London, Medina, Moscow, Paris, Rome, Tbilisi and VIE. From Antalya to: Algiers, Amman, Baghdad, Baku, Beirut, Berlin, DUS, JED, Kuwait, London, Moscow, Munich, Riyadh, Stockholm, St.Petersburg, Stutgart and TLV."
-And one final strange thing. Yesterday was the first time I've seen, 4 x single engine Cessna's take off from DLM back to back :)

davidjohnson6

Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am

3 months ago after Germania went bust, Zonguldak lost its last scheduled route. Now both Atlas Global and Turkish operate to Istanbul and Atlas also goes to Dusseldorf.

Has someone in Govt put pressure on one or both of these 2 airlines to fly to Zonguldak ?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue May 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Another first for me. I took the HAVAIST bus from the Asian side to IST:
-Just by pure luck, a few days ago; I learnt that Kadikoy HAVAIST line uses the Yenisahra Metro station rather than Kozyatagi metro station. This is the same stop where you can catch a SAW express HAVABUS.
-So, it is every half hour and leaves from Kadikoy, 24 hrs a day. 25TL (around $4). Paid either by IstanbulKart or it says credit card or bank debit cards. I used my Istanbul Kart.
-2:00pm bus arrived at 2:20pm at Yenisahra. There was only one more stop at KAVACIK, just by the 2nd Bridge and off to IST. It took exactly 45 minutes from Yenisahra to IST.
-There were less than 10 people on the bus. They are pretty luxurious with 1-2 seating, A.C. somekind of PTV (I haven't used), quiet.
-The bus drops you off at the upper levet at IST; Departures level, at GATE 2.

HeyTK

Tue May 14, 2019 10:48 pm

Maybe a stupid question but I heard several youtubers mention getting a free upgrade to business for being early or asking politely.. Is that a thing? Does it work with TK? Can anyone enlighten me.

dozerman

Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 am

HeyTK wrote:
Maybe a stupid question but I heard several youtubers mention getting a free upgrade to business for being early or asking politely.. Is that a thing? Does it work with TK? Can anyone enlighten me.

It might work only if the flight is overbooked in economy, and there is availability in business. In that case they need to upgrade someone, so they might choose you if you ask nicely. But usually they just upgrade high status passengers like M&S Elite and *G.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

dozerman wrote:
HeyTK wrote:

It might work only if the flight is overbooked in economy, and there is availability in business. In that case they need to upgrade someone, so they might choose you if you ask nicely. But usually they just upgrade high status passengers like M&S Elite and *G.

Agreed. All these years at TK as EP, I got free upgrades only twice and only at the gate, due to overbooked Y.

davidjohnson6

Wed May 15, 2019 9:36 am

The revenue management, marketing and sales teams at an airline are not doing their job properly if asking nicely at checkin for an upgrade is effective on a routine basis.

Urban legends apart, the policy of airlines on business class is virtually always 'If you want it, then pay for it'

gokmengs

Wed May 15, 2019 10:07 am

On the subject of Upgrades DL has always been nicer in my own experience. I'm not talking about the Medallion domestic upgrades but courtesy Long haul international upgrades, I was a Platinum for most of the time and a diamond for maybe a year or 2 and they were generous with check in upgrades, I always liked DL's customer service be it on the phone or their red coats. Southern hospitality corporate culture maybe:)
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 10:36 am

Here is the latest from my TK11 flight yesterday; IST-JFK:
-Check-in, Security, Passport... all that a breeze for J pax.
-Duty Free areas are huge and with ample cashiers.
-Still no difference in using the TK lounges upstairs, West or East Lounge, up to the pax. Food options are getting out of control. For the first time, I saw meze options like; fava, artichokes and others at the cold salad buffet. No lines, No pide wars :) Still I found the overall temperature to be a bit warm, so I moved to the reclining beds overlooking the tarmac. They also put some pamphlets on tables that have a layout of the lounges and approximate walking times to specific gates from the lounges.
-As usual, checkin at gate was a mess. I can immediately feel angst, impatience at that final security check. Security took away 3 bottles of wine from a young American couple that bought those at the VIE Duty Free. There was this crazy Uzbek man refusing to move faster after emptying every single object from his carry on bag. Another man travelling with extra guitar strings had the security question him.... All this, in front of me.
-Still, on time departure with TC-LND, 3 yrs old A333. Taxi from Gate B7 to runway 35L was exactly 20 mins, even with taking the usual U shaped taxiway. No waiting for cooling of brakes and we were number 2 for take off.
-10 hour fast crossing of the Atlantic with a very smooth ride. Full Y, and 5 seats empty in J.
-What a difference at JFK arrivals. Last month when I arrived on TK11; similar arrival time, there were hundreds of people at the hall, and they made us line up, upstairs, immediately after deplaning. This time, it was amazing, No one. I was absolutely the first one down the stairs, Global Entry, No luggage and in a cab less than 5 minutes after getting off the plane.

qf789

Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pm

First Turkish Airlines 789 TC-LLA has rolled out of final assembly

https://twitter.com/KPAE_Spotter/status ... 82464?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

I have also started a dedicated thread for TK's first 787

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1422709
Forum Moderator

TK787
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm

qf789 wrote:
I have also started a dedicated thread for TK's first 787

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1422709

-Thanks for the new thread.
-Also, here is my positive experience with TK customer service today; I got the M&S email today that I only earned 25% of the miles flown from my IST-JFK flight couple days ago. I emailed them back and told them that they are wrong, and sent them a copy of my ticket class. In less than two hours, I get an email and they correct it, saying :
"We are sorry for the inconvenience you have suffered."

stylo777

Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm

qf789 wrote:
First Turkish Airlines 789 TC-LLA has rolled out of final assembly

https://twitter.com/KPAE_Spotter/status ... 82464?s=20

Hope to see this beauty in person during a factory tour I'm planning on doing in the next weeks.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Looking at Flightradar, all planes landing at IST is circling, due to wind. It is from NE 50° and 21 knots. Crosswind 21knots.
SAW was doing fine, but few go-arounds back to back and landing aircraft started circling also.

HeyTK

Fri May 17, 2019 8:55 pm

So after the windy weather yesterday which lead to some planes not being able to land, a post has surfaced claiming the planes have diverted because IST's current location is not suitable for landings to which scientists have warned against prior.. is this true? I never heard anyone discuss this topic before but it seems to be a important matter for some Turks who are against the new airport. I watched a vlog of a Thy captain and he never mentioned this topic so It sounds like fake news to me.

1g

Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm

TK787 wrote:
Looking at Flightradar, all planes landing at IST is circling, due to wind. It is from NE 50° and 21 knots. Crosswind 21knots.
SAW was doing fine, but few go-arounds back to back and landing aircraft started circling also.

ISL doesn't have much activity these days but flights had trouble landing there too, I believe a freighter had to go-around twice.

I know some flights going to SAW had to divert to IST and Bursa.

SXDFC

Fri May 17, 2019 9:19 pm

With TK switching the color and the font in their updated logos, I wonder when or if we will see this applied to the aircraft? Are there any rumors of this?

canmau

Fri May 17, 2019 9:42 pm

Jetty wrote:
TK can't really complain: when they were still paying for their awards it was as much a joke as it is now and TK had no problem at all marketing their bought awards.

You're absolutely right, and it was rather a general observation of how misleading it must be to most passengers rather than defending TK.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 pm

HeyTK wrote:
claiming the planes have diverted because IST's current location is not suitable for landings to which scientists have warned against prior.. is this true?

I remember seeing bunch of posts on this. IIRC, The prevalent wind at IST is NNE.
Why plan on building 5 of the 6 runways N-S, instead of NNE-SSW? I don't know, must be some technical reasons.

LAXintl

Fri May 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Both IST and SAW diversions. Between wind, rain and thunderstorms it was not pretty for a few hours.

Solidus

Sat May 18, 2019 10:48 am

Do we have stats how many flights per day makes IST now? Interesting to see how progression is going.

LAXintl

Sat May 18, 2019 9:39 pm

TK has partnered with the creators Nos Curieux Voyageurs to create customized travel gift boxes.

Inside the Turkish Airlines World Tour box is one finds iconic objects and accessories highlighting some of the 309 destinations, such as Zanzibar in Tanzania, Cappadocia in Turkey or Hanoi in Vietnam. The box also includes a guide with travel tips and ideas that cover a selection of destinations in the 124 countries served.

The Turkish Airlines World Tour box is available for EUR €30 https://noscurieuxvoyageurs.com/product ... h-airlines

OA260

Sun May 19, 2019 2:43 pm

As per booking system looks like TK are cancelling the following flights :

01 JUN 2019 TK1977-1978
06 JUN 2019 TK1975-1976
08 JUN 2019 TK1977-1978
09 JUN 2019 TK1975-1976
15 JUN 2019 TK1977-1978
16 JUN 2019 TK1975-1976
20 JUN 2019 TK1975-1976
22 JUN 2019 TK1977-1978
29 JUN 2019 TK1977-1978
30 JUN 2019 TK1975-1976

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm

OA260 wrote:

IST-DUBLIN.
Any idea, why? Could it be related to MAX grounding?

AirbusA343

Sun May 19, 2019 3:58 pm

TK787 wrote:
OA260 wrote:

IST-DUBLIN.
Any idea, why? Could it be related to MAX grounding?

It actually could be. It's interesting to note that all of the cancelled TK1977/78 flights were ones meant to be operated by 737s rather than A321s. TK1975/76 was meant to be operated by the MAX 9 before the grounding happened too.

behramjee

Sun May 19, 2019 4:17 pm

MeCe wrote:
IAD, ORD, LAX and SFO (may be MIA too) will be 10 weekly in 2020 summer schedule. All additionals will be 787, IAD and ATL will be pure 787.

And how are you so sure of these USA frequency increases for S20 season ?

ist2014

Sun May 19, 2019 6:31 pm

By 2020, there will be 15 b789 and 5 a359, for sure there will be additional flights and perhaps some of them will be new or additional us routes, any idea about south and central amercia routes and idea about roues of 359 is welcomed

mafaky

Mon May 20, 2019 7:14 am

TK787 wrote:
HeyTK wrote:
claiming the planes have diverted because IST's current location is not suitable for landings to which scientists have warned against prior.. is this true?

I remember seeing bunch of posts on this. IIRC, The prevalent wind at IST is NNE.
Why plan on building 5 of the 6 runways N-S, instead of NNE-SSW? I don't know, must be some technical reasons.

If your indication (that prevailing winds are NNE), there are two very logical, though non-technical, reasons:
1) ISL's (AHL) two runways are also N-S. If they could have built IST's 5 rwys in NNE-SSW, they could not claim "the airspaces of both airports are clashing and jeopardizing ops!.." :x
2) They probably couldn't fit 5 independent 3.750 mt (one being 4.100 mt) rwys if these were built as NNE-SSW, but only 4 (four), due to the limitations of the allocated land. :roll:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos