Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alan3
Topic Author

Braniff 2.0 - - who took over their hubs and aircraft?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Curious about Braniff 2.0 that operated in the 1980's. Wonder how much longer it could have survived- -did anyone fly them?

Who took over their hubs and slots at MCI and MCO?

And I believe they were one of the first or maybe the first US operator of the A320 I think? Didn't they place a large order for about 50 of them...I wonder what happened to that order? Could another airline take it over or does it just get wiped out and Airbus moves on to the next operator in line?

desertjets

Re: Braniff 2.0 - - who took over their hubs and aircraft?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:13 pm

The 18, I think, A320s that BN 2.0 had were acquired by America West.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

MO11

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:18 pm

alan3 wrote:
Curious about Braniff 2.0 that operated in the 1980's. Wonder how much longer it could have survived- -did anyone fly them?

Who took over their hubs and slots at MCI and MCO?

And I believe they were one of the first or maybe the first US operator of the A320 I think? Didn't they place a large order for about 50 of them...I wonder what happened to that order? Could another airline take it over or does it just get wiped out and Airbus moves on to the next operator in line?

There are no slots at MCI or MCO; if a carrier can get terminal space then it can fly there without restriction.

Originally, Braniff ordered Fokker 100s and PanAm ordered A320s. At some point the orders were "swapped" (with the help of lessor GPA). After Braniff closed, the A320s went to America West.

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:22 pm

alan3 wrote:
And I believe they were one of the first or maybe the first US operator of the A320 I think?

I can't speak to first U.S. operator but planespotters.net shows the first A320 delivery to NW a week before Braniff's first.

OzarkD9S

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 pm

alan3 wrote:

Curious about Braniff 2.0 that operated in the 1980's. Who took over their hubs and slots at MCI and MCO?

There were no slots to take over at MCI/MCO, not slot controlled.

For a time USAir beefed up MCI into a sort of mini-hub after Braniff 2's demise. Signed up Air Midwest as an MCI US Express operator.

MCI was well located as a bridge market linking the US/Piedmont network in the East with the former PSA network in the west. The MCI terminal however wasn't and still isn't really optimal for hub operations.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:32 pm

desertjets wrote:

In fact, they only got five of the seventeen planned. Apparently, they had 34 more on the way or on option. The seventeen indeed joined Cactus but only one year after Braniff 2 shut down.

http://www.aeromoe.com/fleets/bn2.html

Polot

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:35 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
desertjets wrote:

In fact, they only got five of the seventeen planned. Apparently, they had 34 more on the way or on option. The seventeen indeed joined Cactus but only one year after Braniff 2 shut down.

http://www.aeromoe.com/fleets/bn2.html

If I’m not mistaken I believe only the first one ever entered serviced, and only for like a month at most.

There is a famous pic on the web of painters finding the Braniff livery still underneath the America West one when being repainted into US colors. It was never stripped off, HP just painted over.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Polot wrote:
If I’m not mistaken I believe only the first one ever entered serviced, and only for like a month at most.

Perhaps two, if data is correct. Those Braniff A320s were originally intended for... Pan Am, the original one.

birdup

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Polot wrote:
There is a famous pic on the web of painters finding the Braniff livery still underneath the America West one when being repainted into US colors. It was never stripped off, HP just painted over.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos