BDKLEZ
Topic Author

EI Regional (Stobart) - Transfer

Wed May 01, 2019 6:40 pm

I am interested in trying to get to CFN from AMS via DUB with EI, but it seems that no viable options are available or offered even though times dictate that a valid connection would very well be possible. Further, on departures ex CFN transfers are permitted in DUB (..also partner carriers) but onto long-haul services only. Strangely however not into EI's own European network ex DUB . Could anyone explain to me why this may be the case?
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

RJNUT

Re: EI Regional (Stobart) - Transfer

Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 pm

where are you booking from(which country) and what website.?

I am in US and was able to book on Expedia, but not on Aer Lingus's site. Some fare types have point of sale restrictions .

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm in NL but am unable to book on EI website itself, I'm also unable to book that routing via Expedia on this side of the pond. Seems rather odd, or maybe I'm just missing/misunderstanding something.,

eirflot

Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Ask OA260 on the Irish Thread
He will wither know or have an answer to the problem
I am guessing but maybe two separate bookings?
It's an interesting problem
Good luck

runway23

Wed May 01, 2019 8:00 pm

The reason you’re not getting anything is EI dont have any fares published for CFN-AMS. They do have CFN-DUB so you could book two separate tickets.

Aisak

Wed May 01, 2019 8:03 pm

This is one of the reasons AerLingus left OW back in the day. They evolved to a point to point (P2P) airline where connections are not offered.

Of course AerLingus is did not adopt the Ryanair model that hard and they still offer a FF scheme, Codeshares from partners (ie BA* at LHR) and TATL long haul flying. Online connections involving those flights are allowed, but since AMS-DUB is short haul it is not “connectable” to another short haul under the loaded fare rules.

You might check the AerLingus website selecting any airport. You will only be offered non-stop options and one-stop across the Pond

eirflot

Wed May 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Matbe multi-city or mulit-stop might work?

RJNUT

Wed May 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Expedia slapped together end-on-end PTP fares, which apparently is legal per fare rules or it would not produce that itinerary and there was no notation of separate tickets as I saw on other offerings. The multi -city option sometime overrides non-offered connections, i.e. query AMS-DUB then DUB-CFN. Again , point of sale can also inhibit certain combinations as well. Kiwi.com will offer "hacker" itineraries and may produce desired result .. AND sometimes good old fashioned travel agents can magically pull these out of their systems maybe even worth paying their service fee!

Bhoy

Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 am

The only problem with Multi City on aerlingus.com is it only allows you to book two segments, so you can book AMS-DUB and DUB-CFN on one ticket, but you need to buy a separate ticket for the return (booking it that way as opposed to separate return AMS-DUB-AMS and DUB-CFN-DUB should guarantee protection for misconnections in DUB, at least)

vfw614

Thu May 02, 2019 7:42 am

Does it really matter if you are unable to book a return ticket? I assume that Aer Lingus only has one-way pricing anyway?

Another thought: Maybe it has something to do with the conditions of the PSO?

VanBosch

Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

vfw614 wrote:
Does it really matter if you are unable to book a return ticket? I assume that Aer Lingus only has one-way pricing anyway?

I’d imagine the desired benefit isn’t necessarily price but checked through baggage and connection protection?

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

Bhoy wrote:
(booking it that way as opposed to separate return AMS-DUB-AMS and DUB-CFN-DUB should guarantee protection for misconnections in DUB, at least)

And this is precisely my point as CFN is a "somewhat awkward" place to get to if a connection is missed and I don't fancy the idea of having to rent a car last minute. And it's a hell of a drive.

OA260

Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 pm

RJNUT wrote:
AND sometimes good old fashioned travel agents can magically pull these out of their systems maybe even worth paying their service fee!

On this route they would not be able to offer anything as the only through fares are for CFN-TATL.Also no IATA fares exist for European connections. Ironic as 19% on this route are connections and of that 19% the connections onto Europe are 35% . The rest are 23% to USA and 37% to UK according to Donegal Airport. The rest of the traffic is students, business and even people flying for medical treatment in Dublin which is often rebated by the HSE.

Being a PSO route this is a community service which is maybe another reason why EI have not opened it up to make it easier for such connections as the original poster wanted to do. As stated above EI are usually good should there be any IRROPS but the original poster should also give themselves plenty of time between flights. 2 hours would be advisable.

RJNUT

Thu May 02, 2019 12:37 pm

OA260 wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
AND sometimes good old fashioned travel agents can magically pull these out of their systems maybe even worth paying their service fee!

On this route they would not be able to offer anything as the only through fares are for CFN-TATL.Also no IATA fares exist for European connections. Ironic as 19% on this route are connections and of that 19% the connections onto Europe are 35% . The rest are 23% to USA and 37% to UK according to Donegal Airport. The rest of the traffic is students, business and even people flying for medical treatment in Dublin which is often rebated by the HSE.

Being a PSO route this is a community service which is maybe another reason why EI have not opened it up to make it easier for such connections as the original poster wanted to do. As stated above EI are usually good should there be any IRROPS but the original poster should also give themselves plenty of time between flights. 2 hours would be advisable.

So who IS selling the 35 percent of the 19 per cent of connections to Europe would be the answer to OP's question, I would think. Its obvious that a certain small segment of travelers out of CFN are able to get to Europe on EI using DUB connection and had to have bought tickets somewhere. .

vfw614

Thu May 02, 2019 1:29 pm

VanBosch wrote:
vfw614 wrote:

I’d imagine the desired benefit isn’t necessarily price but checked through baggage and connection protection?

It was said that a multi-city booking with two legs is possible. So what stops the TO from booking AMS-DUB-CFN and CFN-DUB-AMS separately (that was my suggestion based on what others have found out about multi-city bookings)? Assuming EI is doing one-way pricing, that would not be different from booking AMS-CFN-AMS as a return ticket.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2019 1:40 pm

RJNUT wrote:
So who IS selling the 35 percent of the 19 per cent of connections to Europe would be the answer to OP's question, I would think. Its obvious that a certain small segment of travelers out of CFN are able to get to Europe on EI using DUB connection and had to have bought tickets somewhere. .

Indeed, and this is my primary point. Surely there will be a certain demand albeit perhaps somewhat limited given the population, but I still cannot get my head round why connections via DUB are not offered. The same story applies to ops ex KIR. I actually asked this question recently of EI directly via various official channels and although I will always be an EI fan, I was disappointed with replies which ranged from nothing to the "commercial/operational reasons". Having worked in aviation for almost 15 years I'm familiar with these responses which are often used ad nauseum but mean absolutely nothing to the innocent and often confused pax.

OA260

Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm

RJNUT wrote:

Simple answer these are self connecting. So to clarify two bookings / two tickets. For data analysis purposes these are still considered ''connecting''.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
Simple answer these are self connecting. So to clarify two bookings / two tickets. For data analysis purposes these are still considered ''connecting''.

So to clarify, if I use the one-way multi-city option on EI website AMS x/DUB CFN will this also be considered two bookings / two tickets? Given that the fare is not openly offered on the website, I am concerned that using this "get out clause" may not impress or be recognised by EI in the event of IRROPS.

al2637

Thu May 02, 2019 2:38 pm

This is most likely an IT issue. There should be no problem combining multiple fares onto a single ticket, it's common practice where there is no through fare.

If you book AMS-DUB-CFN using multi city, it should be issued as a single ticket, with all the protections that offers. The problem is that the EI booking engine for whatever reason is not capable of finding and then combining multiple fares without explicitly being told to do so (via the multi city option). You're problem is compounded by the fact they only allow 2 flights in the multi city option (no idea why)

So, either make 2 bookings (outbound/return) on aerlingus.com:
AMS-DUB-CFN
CFN-DUB-AMS

or find a website, that will allow a multi city booking for 4 segments (I just tried on Expedia.ie and it worked fine)

LAXffDUB

Thu May 02, 2019 6:31 pm

Bhoy wrote:
The only problem with Multi City on aerlingus.com is it only allows you to book two segments, so you can book AMS-DUB and DUB-CFN on one ticket, but you need to buy a separate ticket for the return (booking it that way as opposed to separate return AMS-DUB-AMS and DUB-CFN-DUB should guarantee protection for misconnections in DUB, at least)

This reflects a frustration I have booking on the EI website. Whenever I'm travelling between LAX and DUB, needing to stop in New York along the way, it will not let me do so. All I can do is an "open jaw" ticket (ie: LAX/DUB/JFK or EWR) and then buy a separate ticket for the remaining segment. Other carriers have no problem doing so by using their travel/alliance partners (ie: LAX/AMS/JFK/LAX). Surprisingly EI does not offer that option by using B6 or UA. Can anybody explain why?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos