J343
Topic Author

Qatar Airways DOH-DVO

Wed May 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Qatar Airways has recently launched flights to DVO in the Philippines. The agreement seemed very strange to me since QR wanted extra morning slots at MNL provided they start services to DVO. Now, QR delayed its launch to DVO and the Philippine government threatened to revoke the extra slots that QR has requested at MNL unless they start DVO. If I am not mistaken a similar scenario was done with EK hence the DXB-CEB-CRK-DXB triangular route for the extra frequency.

Are governments allowed to do this or is this a desperate attempt for the Philippine government to blackmail airlines for extra frequency for tourism?

http://philippineairspace.blogspot.com/ ... o.html?m=1

Other airlines such as CX, SQ, JL all have multiple frequencies to and from MNL; CX mainly and we dont see news of CX being forced to other destinations in the Philippines in exchange of more landing slots. Also, SQ had been wanting to add an extra flight on top of their 4 daily MNL-SIN flights but I guess those plans had been dumped.

Surely, the government should think of such implications when forcing carriers to launch destinations elsewhere when there are limited demand. QR did fly to DOH-CEB via SIN but was eventually axed due to poor load factors and yields.

As I said in my previous posts and forums, I am not an aviation analyst expert so any information would be great!

LurveBus

Re: Qatar Airways DOH-DVO

Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm

The O/D numbers between DOH and MNL don’t justify the extra frequencies that QR is asking for. No country is obliged to open their most congested airport to a sixth freedom carrier.

And those other carriers you mentioned... there’s healthy competition on the routes that they serve. Not the case with DOH.

J343
Topic Author

Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 pm

LurveBus wrote:
The O/D numbers between DOH and MNL don’t justify the extra frequencies that QR is asking for. No country is obliged to open their most congested airport to a sixth freedom carrier.

And those other carriers you mentioned... there’s healthy competition on the routes that they serve. Not the case with DOH.

It's not always O/D though is it? QR DOH-MNL is consistently full and busy and sometimes overbooked. 3 years ago, I was rebooked on a CX flight because the QR simply overbooked.

ScottB

Thu May 02, 2019 8:39 pm

J343 wrote:
Are governments allowed to do this or is this a desperate attempt for the Philippine government to blackmail airlines for extra frequency for tourism?

Governments can for the most part do whatever they want within their own territory. There are some exceptions under so-called "international law" but even then those exceptions aren't enforceable unless other nations are willing to back them up via measures like economic sanctions or deploying their armed forces. If the treaty between the Philippines and Qatar (or any other foreign country) doesn't grant the foreign carrier unlimited choice of destinations and the rights to any airport slots it should desire, it's perfectly legal for the Philippine government to condition the grant of slots at a given airport (like MNL) to some other desired service (like adding service to DVO).

It's up to QR to decide if the economic benefit of more slots at MNL at a desirable time outweighs the cost of a money-losing service to another airport.

LurveBus

Fri May 03, 2019 7:04 am

J343 wrote:
LurveBus wrote:

It's not always O/D though is it? QR DOH-MNL is consistently full and busy and sometimes overbooked. 3 years ago, I was rebooked on a CX flight because the QR simply overbooked.

Exactly. QR is funneling sixth freedom traffic. Instead of giving those rights to QR, they gave rights to other sixth freedom carriers, such as Turkish and Oman Air, in order to balance the competition. Come peak season, economy fares from Europe and Africa to MNL rarely go below 1200 usd, and entrenching the ME3 at the expense of their smaller competitors does not provide any tangible benefit, unless they bring some of that sixth freedom traffic to unserved cities.

filipinoavgeek

Sat May 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I think the elephant in the room is that Davao is Duterte's hometown and the city where he was mayor of before becoming president. Thus, I can't help but feel that the increasing number of international flights to there may or may not be at least partially attributed more to political factors as opposed to genuine demand. In fact, I won't be surprised if most if not almost all of the new flights disappear once he's no longer in power.

B1168

Sat May 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Just a question. Is there any particular amount of demand that causes QR to fly a single weekly flight into DVO?

Devilfish

Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 pm

filipinoavgeek wrote:
I think the elephant in the room is that Davao is Duterte's hometown and the city where he was mayor of before becoming president. Thus, I can't help but feel that the increasing number of international flights to there may or may not be at least partially attributed more to political factors as opposed to genuine demand. In fact, I won't be surprised if most if not almost all of the new flights disappear once he's no longer in power.

This may just be the perfect plane for his weekend getaways..... :wave: .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCnkF04tnms

http://www.avantievo.piaggioaerospace.it/

Not sure about the "significantly improved service and support network" and "innovative new maintenance program" ... but the engines are the ubiquitous PT6A from P&WC. It could fly above the weather to DVO and back to MNL economically in no time at all.....

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MNL-DVO-MNL&MS=wls&DU=nm

As the company is under receivership, one might be available for a very good deal. :bigthumbsup:

B1168 wrote:
Just a question. Is there any particular amount of demand that causes QR to fly a single weekly flight into DVO?

OFWs are the only plausible meaningful traffic from DOH...with the decline of deployment to Qatar, that may not even be close to viable.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield